Does YAHAVAH, God, sanctify a person who seeks him out? Or Do you do it on your own?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are making the name of God, into the Topic, and making it a point of contention.
Who is Yahava the YOU brought up? Did you just make it up? Jesus is the Christian Savior, not Yahava! What is your religion Matt???

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jack, you will have to stay on subject otherwise I will go ahead and report you again as before, because of your contentious ways.

God's name is not Jesus. I dont have a religion. Yahava is the right way to say God's name, though people can continue to use Yahweh, or Jehovah.

Jesus name is not even Jesus. It's Yeshua.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's name is not really the topic.
That was an educational PSA.
tenor.gif

Reactions: MatthewG

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question boils down to how much of our growth is due to God's actions, and how much is our responsibility?

That probably varies from individual to individual. God does what He does, and we do what we do. Which isn't much of an answer, but I do believe in human responsibility. And there are things we CAN'T do ourselves and God HAS to do it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano,

While I agree with you in our human responsibility to live as civilized human beings in a corrupted world, it seems to me from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, being part of the world which is evil, through reconciled to Yahava, there is a away to handle oneself be it in an evil manner or good manner. The question at a glance seems weird probably for most people who believe they need to do the work themselves. However it's impossible to be made holy by virture of stopping cigerrates, or drug habits, or sexual habits, it seems more of the pressing into Yahava, for help by the spirit and letting him be your nutrition, and allowing the renewed mind to become more aware and bearing the thoughts of heavenly, opposed to the mere material.

Can Yahava, chaseten a person? Cut back the already vines that are rooted into the vine (Yeshua)? If Yahava is the vinedresser, he can cut us back to some degree or another, and is that not his love in keeping us humble, like Paul and his thorn in his flesh?

If chastening can happen, and cut backs, does Yahava interact with those who are faithfully seeking him? It's a twoway street, in my opinion, God works with us as we allow him to work from within us, and to come forth from us by his love by the holy spirit and the Spirit of Christ within us.

It seems the responsibility to love Yahava, and to love others, is on oneself. It's not a group commandment as much as it is a single given commandment which a person decides to take in to consideration to give ones life over to Yahava, and putting him first before all things - such as our pleasures, our desires, our wants. To let him be the one whom is our nutrient of all things Spirit, and do you think we doing this, Yahava slowly starts to sanctify us, as we continue to put our trust and faith in him and his Son?

Perhaps cutting back the lust, cutting back the greed, cutting back the etc...

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripturally, I see verses like 1 John 3:3-10 that say we have to purify ourselves:

3 And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure....

But then there are verses like Philippians 2:12-13 that say it's God working in us:

...work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

I guess it's complicated.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano,

How can one purify himself as he is pure? Is it not by picking up the cross? Following the Lord Yeshua? Having the mind of Christ? (We do make a choice in repentance, right?)

In turn that seems allow Yahava to work in and through those who do such things, the work and credit is always going to go to Yahava, even the Spirit of Christ within? Yahava is the one makes people holy, it’s never anyone their self, making themselves holy.

It shouldn’t be complicated. If anyone can make themselves holy, by all means ; is it possible or is it only possible by Yahava who “does the sanctifying?”

Who deserves the credit? It’s it the one who believes they can make themselves holy through “good and well means”, or is it God, himself, by and through the Holy Spirit and the spirit of Christ “which a persons life becomes changed through belief and faith” which the change comes from Yahava, being spiritually reborn.

Exodus 29:
44 And I will sanctify the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar: I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office.

45 And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God.

46 And they shall know that I am the Lord their God, that brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them: I am the Lord their God.

Hope to see what you may have to say concerning these things.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Useful information concerning Sanctification. Vine’s dictionary.IMG_0043.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's stay on subject Jack.

Does Yahava, God, sanctify a person who seeks him out? Or Do you do it on your own?

Exodus 29:
44 And I will sanctify the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar: I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office.

45 And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God.

46 And they shall know that I am the Lord their God, that brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them: I am the Lord their God.

Today, with God living within people, does God sanctify them or do they sanctify themselves?

Either answer these questions or I will just continue to ignore you as you are on my ignore list anyway. All the best to you!
Self-sanctification.......? Naw!

Impossible if The HS is residing in you, and impossible when we are told in Hebrews
"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self-sanctification.......? Naw!

Impossible if The HS is residing in you, and impossible when we are told in Hebrews
"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."

What do you mean, Rella. Impossible if the Holy Spirit residing within you? That sanctification is impossible without it resides within us? You make a great choice to point out the impossibility of pleasing Yahava without faith, but he is a rewarder of those who seek him.

What is all that about?

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean, Rella. Impossible if the Holy Spirit residing within you? That sanctification is impossible without it resides within us? You make a great choice to point out the impossibility of pleasing Yahava without faith, but he is a rewarder of those who seek him.

What is all that about?
I simply mean that to me self sanctification would be impossible if the HS is residing in you because I personally think self anything is impossible at that point.

Mathew G said "Does Yahava, God, sanctify a person who seeks him out? Or Do you do it on your own?

Self sanctification only ever applied to Jesus... unless I missed it. John 17:19 states "19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth."

IOW "I sanctify myself" means to set one's self apart for a special purpose. By extension, that which is "holy" has been set aside for a special purpose.

Ellicott commentary:

And for their sakes I sanctify myself.--Comp. Note on John 17:17. The consecration here thought of is that to the work which was immediately before Him--the offering Himself as a sacrifice. The word was in frequent use in the special sense of an offering or sacrifice set apart to God. As a New Testament example of this, comp. Romans 15:16. By this consecration of Himself--which in a wider sense is for all men, but in the special sense is "for their sakes"--He will, as both Priest and Sacrifice, enter into the Holy of Holies of the heavenly temple, and will send the Holy Ghost, who will consecrate them.
Further:

John 17:19-23 New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995)

For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. “I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

So I just dont see self-sanctification based of the definition of the word.

sanctify /săngk′tə-fī″/

transitive verb​

1. To set apart for sacred use; consecrate.
    "The preacher sanctified the ground as a cemetery."
  2. To make holy; purify.
    "They felt the spirit had descended and sanctified their hearts. They sanctified the body with holy oil."
  3. To give religious sanction to, as with an oath or vow.
    "The wedding ceremony sanctifies the marriage."

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That doesn’t help, thank you though, sir.

Would it be going to Yahava, the Father whom adopts people as his children in faith in His Son, allowing the Lord GOD ALMIGHTY, to write on our minds and hearts? And allow him to sanctify us, for his good purposes and pleasures which all protrude in the end an individual who loved Yahava first, and loved others.

I don’t think we can sanctify ourself. It’s allowing Yahava, God, to sanctify us which seems to come out of the willingly heart?

Trusting him to provide us help by the Spirit to love all people, no matter where they may be in their life?

Sometimes we trust other things to provide us help, but the worldly ways doesn’t always mean it works the best, the world is evil as it is, though reconciled to Yahava.

I don’t seem to read any metaphors or innuendo in my post; so sorry if it’s difficult to understand.
Maybe we should just use what God gave us already....the Potter and the clay.

Just a thought here.....
I may be way off base with my thinking....but just like you said....I can't see my way out of it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I simply mean that to me self sanctification would be impossible if the HS is residing in you because I personally think self anything is impossible at that point.

Mathew G said "Does Yahava, God, sanctify a person who seeks him out? Or Do you do it on your own?

Self sanctification only ever applied to Jesus... unless I missed it. John 17:19 states "19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth."
Rella,
IOW "I sanctify myself" means to set one's self apart for a special purpose. By extension, that which is "holy" has been set aside for a special purpose.

Ellicott commentary:

Further:

John 17:19-23 New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995)

For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. “I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

So I just dont see self-sanctification based of the definition of the word.

sanctify /săngk′tə-fī″/

transitive verb​

1. To set apart for sacred use; consecrate.
    "The preacher sanctified the ground as a cemetery."
  2. To make holy; purify.
    "They felt the spirit had descended and sanctified their hearts. They sanctified the body with holy oil."
  3. To give religious sanction to, as with an oath or vow.
    "The wedding ceremony sanctifies the marriage."

It's really hard to understand what you are saying. I believe personally sanctification plays a role in people who seek out Yahava. It's not a person sanctifying themselves, it is allowing Yahava to make a person holy.

Are you sure you are understanding my question fully?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe we should just use what God gave us already....the Potter and the clay.

Just a thought here.....
I may be way off base with my thinking....but just like you said....I can't see my way out of it.

Thank you for commenting what you have decided to share with based on what you do know then. I do not believe I said anything about not seeing ones way out of it, sanctification just seems as valid as justification. Theology holds both of them.

The question is, who does the changing? We become justified with Yahava first, and Sanctification is what Yahava does in order to make a person holy?

Some people find it is offensive, to suggest that Yahava would make a person holy. Even more offensive when it is a person making themselves Holy, but they cannot, can they?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for commenting what you have decided to share with based on what you do know then. I do not believe I said anything about not seeing ones way out of it, sanctification just seems as valid as justification. Theology holds both of them.

The question is, who does the changing? We become justified with Yahava first, and Sanctification is what Yahava does in order to make a person holy?

Some people find it is offensive, to suggest that Yahava would make a person holy. Even more offensive when it is a person making themselves Holy, but they cannot, can they?
Potter being a metaphor for God and Clay being people....water being Law....pressure inside and outside at the same time....

Not really hard to understand....especially if you have made a pot on a potter's wheel.

Some clay is better than others and can make tall vessels and some clay can't get that high because of its composition.

All eventually hold something...

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God sanctified.
1Thessalonians 5:23–24 (ESV)
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Potter being a metaphor for God and Clay being people....water being Law....pressure inside and outside at the same time....

Not really hard to understand....especially if you have made a pot on a potter's wheel.

Some clay is better than others and can make tall vessels and some clay can't get that high because of its composition.

All eventually hold something...

Thank you again for sharing, by virtue of Potter and the clay. Have used a pottery machine before. Sometimes people do not desire to be worked with, and they fall away or fall apart along the way. Reminds me a lot of Jesus and his Parable of the Sower. Some people continue to stay evil, some people receive will joy but are not fully rooted, sometimes the world and its problems draws people from Yahava, by choking them out. Then there was the good ground that produced fruits. All of these people are going to be resurrected in the end of life, but to what quality? Only Yahava knows that, and Paul sought for a resurrection that was better than the normal.

Should that be something individuals look for too while traveling along in this world? A better resurrection than the normal? By allowing Yahava to work in slowly allowing a person to be more mature by the spiritual means and letting go some of the material aspects of the means of our own ways by allowing him and his ways to come forth in of course love.

It's a joy to speak on.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God sanctified.
1Thessalonians 5:23–24 (ESV)
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

Thank you for sharing this, BlessedPeace.

Reactions: BlessedPeace