Does Your Church Use Catechism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what that is or what it means...so I guess the answer is No.

I never read of that in the OT or the NT...so I guess it is obsolete to The Living Church.
Hi Helen,

Here is one way to look at it. When one is catechizing they are giving religious instruction. That is what Jesus did. In Matthew 28 Jesus instructed his Apostles to "teach them to observe all that I have commanded you". The Apostles ORALLY catechized the "religious instructions" that Jesus taught them and those "instructions" were eventually written down. Those written "religious instructions" are what we now call the NT.

Mary

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen: Can’t we extend the same grace towards each other?

Brakelite: Do we leave others in their ignorance in order to be nice? Or do we with love and patience reveal their error?

We plant seeds. We are not responsible for delivery outcomes - that is the job of the Holy Spirit. Sure, loving your neighbor does involve discerning correction, but this looks much different than the wholesale, generalized spiritual flogging seen on this site.

So, in response to your false dichotomy; yes and no.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fortunately the critics speaking so clearly and correctly according to them on God's behalf are not the ones who will render final judgment against anyone. So many still believe, it seems, they are an exception to what Solomon wrote 3,000 years ago:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

This makes me wonder when I was faced with people who claimed they could know God and not have their hearts sorted out, because their hearts were desperately wicked. For some strange reason they have believed that God looked at their faith without repentance, cleansing or transformation, and valued it eternally and would change them to be like Jesus, without their hearts being touched.

When Jesus said you have to forgive from the heart or one can not be forgiven, the clue might be in the heart getting sorted.
Or love God with all your heart, all your soul and all your strength was only possible if ones heart was focused on the task, not locked away in some room where no one was allowed in.

But somehow people have even been in church leadership, and been convinced spiritual gifts and anointing prove spiritual reality.
Clearly the excuse that God only introduced goals to show people defeat so they trusted Jesus more, is a powerful concept. I am a mess but it does not matter, God covers it all up, and rescues me in the future time, when the perfect spirit man is taken from this sinful flesh body and heart to be with Him for eternity.

I love Jesus because He delivers today His walk in our hearts and lives if we believe Him, open up, ask and follow.
Some have been taught to believe walking in good things is evil, false self justification. It reminds me of Isaiah

Isaiah 5:20-21
20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight.

They think they know God, but what they have is an empty faith and an empty walk.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy