Does Your Church Use Catechism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Goodness boy, don't you ever sleep...isn't it 'the wee hours' for you over there?
Or have you just got up?
If so, then you were on here half the night LOL

Go take a nap now :)
nah its 10 am almost

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
nah its 10 am almost

Oh right...I was thinking Europe ...you there in Oz are 18 hours ahead , I must remember that. But even so, you must have got up pretty early on here ...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree with the many here that there are genuine Christians in every denomination. Including Catholic, LDS, and even my own. But there is a time coming, and I believe that time is upon us, that judgement begins in the house of God. All of us are going to be tested. It will not be a theology test... It will be a test of obedience.
Soon, the whole world will wonder after the beast. All the world's denominations and religions, Christian or otherwise, will join Babylon believing she is the true church of the last days. The harlot daughters will rejoin mother along with numerous others, and through compromise and a desire for unity will unite under a false premise that such is God's will. Ecumenism will test everyone. The global union of church and state will in the end coerce everybody to join her ranks or suffer the consequences. That call, "come out of her My people", is for today, because spiritual Babylon is the direction your church is heading. You may not think so. But by accepting the same man made doctrines that circumvent God's commandments, you and your church have already made that accommodation and compromise. It will be but a little step later to sign along the dotted line, accept the man in Rome as your authority figure in all things, and begin to persecute dissenters. That my friends is the theme of the last days, and you all will have to face that test. It seems easy and simple now to say, nah, not me. But when the nation's armies are knocking at your door... When the government institutions are turning you away... When your own church is disfellowshiping you... When your own families are disowning you.... Your electricity and gas cut off...a small remnant of dissenters will appear to be a very easy target and a scapegoat for the world's ills.

Yet you are here judging everyone by the very same judgement you judge yourself, promoting your own religion over all the others, that is just what religion does, come out out her my people applies to you too.

Act 7:47 But Solomon built him an house.
Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

and again

Act 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Act 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

God bless

Reactions: amadeus
B

brakelite

We don't leave someone in ignorance who expresses a desire to change their situation. Jesus did not knock on his neighbor's door. They all came to him
There are occasions where I see this to be of value. But not every circumstance is the same. My own experience was different. I was challenged by a friend, in a nice non confronatational manner, without any asking from me.
Jane doe, and others from a variety of faith backgrounds, come here telling us their faith is genuine. I come from my own faith background doing the same. And we all proclaim our faith in Jesus. And so we should. But not any two of us agree on just about anything else. So clearly, if we all have a relationship with the same Jesus, we are on different paths. Some paths are taking people on a very circuitous route through some fairly dangerous minefields... And I see Catholicism and LDS in that category. I think for everyone's safety we need to have the freedom and even spiritual mandate to challenge others where it is really the same Jesus leading them in areas which will lead them to having to spend time in rehab at some stage. While doctrines that differ from our own may seem harmless now, the time will come when those doctrines will bear fruit in ways we cannot now foresee; being simply unbiblical has ramifications when Jesus comes for a people without blemish and without spot. Holding to wrong doctrine does have its affect on character... Believing in the wrong Jesus even more so... Coming into a Christian Forum and teaching those wrong doctrines and false teachings should always be challenged, exposed, and tested. And if the person being asked fails to answer, they should be called out for that failure for their inability to defend it according to scripture.
Of course such a course should never be done with abuse or put downs or commendation. Loving correction does not entail insults.
But whoever we are, we should be able to justify from scripture what we believe. Even Jane Doe.

B

brakelite

come out out her my people applies to you too.
But does it? You would have to demonstrate that I am still in that place... Or that my church is in that place... And you might have to demonstrate that you understand what Babylon actually is also... And why my church thus stands as charged. I am open to any challenges from anyone regarding my faith. If anything I believe in can be shown to have common ground with the Whore, then by all means let me know.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are occasions where I see this to be of value. But not every circumstance is the same. My own experience was different. I was challenged by a friend, in a nice non confronatational manner, without any asking from me.
Jane doe, and others from a variety of faith backgrounds, come here telling us their faith is genuine. I come from my own faith background doing the same. And we all proclaim our faith in Jesus. And so we should. But not any two of us agree on just about anything else. So clearly, if we all have a relationship with the same Jesus, we are on different paths. Some paths are taking people on a very circuitous route through some fairly dangerous minefields... And I see Catholicism and LDS in that category. I think for everyone's safety we need to have the freedom and even spiritual mandate to challenge others where it is really the same Jesus leading them in areas which will lead them to having to spend time in rehab at some stage. While doctrines that differ from our own may seem harmless now, the time will come when those doctrines will bear fruit in ways we cannot now foresee; being simply unbiblical has ramifications when Jesus comes for a people without blemish and without spot. Holding to wrong doctrine does have its affect on character... Believing in the wrong Jesus even more so... Coming into a Christian Forum and teaching those wrong doctrines and false teachings should always be challenged, exposed, and tested. And if the person being asked fails to answer, they should be called out for that failure for their inability to defend it according to scripture.
Of course such a course should never be done with abuse or put downs or commendation. Loving correction does not entail insults.
But whoever we are, we should be able to justify from scripture what we believe. Even Jane Doe.
brakelite, the distance between our various beliefs is what it is. I do not insult you by hounding you about your beliefs, and get EXTREMELY annoyed by your hounding of me. Please show me the same level of respect I show you.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But does it? You would have to demonstrate that I am still in that place... Or that my church is in that place... And you might have to demonstrate that you understand what Babylon actually is also... And why my church thus stands as charged. I am open to any challenges from anyone regarding my faith. If anything I believe in can be shown to have common ground with the Whore, then by all means let me know.
Our faith is only one, the man Christ Jesus anything else is an idol, and I have shown you, but you will reject it because it doesn't fit in with your religion, even BOL can demonstrate why his religion is right as can any many who loves his religion. Every man believes his religion is right in his eyes.

B

brakelite

brakelite, the distance between our various beliefs is what it is. I do not insult you by hounding you about your beliefs, and get EXTREMELY annoyed by your hounding of me. Please show me the same level of respect I show you.
You get annoyed? Because I ask questions regarding your church's belief system? And ask whether the true Son of God can be said to have inspired that system that teaches it is the only way? You feel hounded? I would have thought you would welcome the attention. After all, this is your opportunity to share your gospel with us. Why you believe your church was established because all other churches were in apostasy. This is what your prophets taught after all...

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You get annoyed? Because I ask questions regarding your church's belief system? And ask whether the true Son of God can be said to have inspired that system that teaches it is the only way? You feel hounded? I would have thought you would welcome the attention. After all, this is your opportunity to share your gospel with us. Why you believe your church was established because all other churches were in apostasy. This is what your prophets taught after all...
I'm not here to insult or attack anyone. And I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced that you're honestly interested in learning about what I believe.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen
B

brakelite

I'm not here to insult or attack anyone. And I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced that you're honestly interested in learning about what I believe.
No one is accusing you of insulting anyone?
Sounds like a convenient way of avoidance. Particularly after you said yourself you were willing to answer any questions regarding what you believe. But when they get hard, is because we don't want to know the answers?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What ever happened to you or to me does not put anyone else necessarily in the same place. I came to God effectively knowing nothing of what the scripture really said. The Apostle Paul on the other hand, as Saul, came to God knowing the written scriptures very well. Both of us were missing the same thing. We did not know Him.

Jane doe, and others from a variety of faith backgrounds, come here telling us their faith is genuine. I come from my own faith background doing the same. And we all proclaim our faith in Jesus. And so we should. But not any two of us agree on just about anything else. So clearly, if we all have a relationship with the same Jesus, we are on different paths. Some paths are taking people on a very circuitous route through some fairly dangerous minefields... And I see Catholicism and LDS in that category.
If anyone is in a dangerous place as you put it however he got there, is it too dangerous or hopeless of a situation for our God to handle? If a person in the wrong place is sincere in his love for God will God desert him, leave him out of the cold because of unforeseeable or uncontrollable circumstance? There is as I believe it, no such thing as an unforeseeable or uncontrollable circumstance for God. Unless a person has really known Him and then purposely, knowingly blasphemed the Holy Ghost, there is always a way back.

How far away from God was Naaman, the Syrian, when a little captive Hebrew girl child witnessed to him about the God of Israel? Our God is able in every situation where there really is a need or a sincere desire for what He has promised. No one is left on the outside who is he were to know the truth would want to be on
the inside: No Catholics, no LDS, no SDA, no Pentecostal, no tongue talker, no Hindu, no Buddhist, no Muslim, no whatever will be left behind in this... if their heart is right. The Father will call them one way
or the other to Jesus, will He not? Do we doubt His ability? What is impossible for God?

"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

I think for everyone's safety we need to have the freedom and even spiritual mandate to challenge others where it is really the same Jesus leading them in areas which will lead them to having to spend time in rehab at some stage.
My friend, we cannot save anyone by our efforts. God may indeed use us to implement His will with regard to some person's salvation, but if we were not available and it was needed, He has an alternative. He is God.

What we need to do is be available with anything and everything that God provides to do whatever He wants us to do whenever and wherever He wants us to do it. We are never indispensable to anyone else's salvation. Only God is always indispensable!
While doctrines that differ from our own may seem harmless now, the time will come when those doctrines will bear fruit in ways we cannot now foresee; being simply unbiblical has ramifications when Jesus comes for a people without blemish and without spot. Holding to wrong doctrine does have its affect on character... Believing in the wrong Jesus even more so... Coming into a Christian Forum and teaching those wrong doctrines and false teachings should always be challenged, exposed, and tested. And if the person being asked fails to answer, they should be called out for that failure for their inability to defend it according to scripture.
You should be coming here to accomplish God's will for you, but be careful before deciding exactly what His will is for every person and every situation. God always know exactly. Unless we always have His mind perfectly, we do not! Some people seem to think they do, but I do not believe that is you. Am I mistaken?

If a church as a whole really is way off base with its doctrines and practices, God may still require one of His to be there to accomplish His purpose for someone in that place. We should not presume we can anticipate every thing that God wants done and how we should do it. Remember Hosea a man of God who was told to take a whore as his wife. He was in God's will in obeying! We do not know every thing for everyone else. We do well if we know everything for our own selves!

Your problem my friend is that you presume you are absolutely right and that she is absolutely wrong.
I don't believe that you are absolute right. I also don't believe that she is absolutely wrong.
I, myself, may also be wrong in this, but I don't think that I am!

Remember about the removing the obstruction in your own eye prior to attempting to work on someone else's eye. If they come to you and ask for help, give it freely to you ability... do not presume!

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you not doing exactly the same thing, is not that hypocrisy????

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is accusing you of insulting anyone?
Sounds like a convenient way of avoidance. Particularly after you said yourself you were willing to answer any questions regarding what you believe. But when they get hard, is because we don't want to know the answers?
With all possible respect, your questions do not ring of a sincere disrespectful to understand as another person. Rather, they come across as loading you're not really interested in the answers to.

I am not here to insult anyone's faith, goad, attack, or in any way be a jerk, especially over and over again on multiple threads. I ask politely that you show me the same curtesy.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not here to proselytize in any way and honest acknowledge and respect other people's beliefs, even those I passionately disagree with.
At points I feel very much in the minority that regard.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not here to proselytize in any way and honest acknowledge and respect other people's beliefs, even those I passionately disagree with.
At points I feel very much in the minority that regard.
Its not just you that disagrees with Him it is He that disagrees with God, it is what religion does, ive known him a long time always teh same arguments.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our faith is only one, the man Christ Jesus anything else is an idol, and I have shown you, but you will reject it because it doesn't fit in with your religion, even BOL can demonstrate why his religion is right as can any many who loves his religion. Every man believes his religion is right in his eyes.
Even so... and each those who says they are right with their mouth is tested, but again not a theological test, but a searching of the heart by God. Not everyone has received exactly the same things from God for various reasons, but with what they have received they work, but the test is...?

No one but God is capable of both seeing and fairly evaluating every detail in every person. He knows our frailties better than we do. He takes those along with our gifts into consideration as well. What are we doing with what has been put on our plate? That is the test?

If we are placed in an unpopular church group that too is on our plate. How do others handle that? [their test] How do we handle that? [our test]

B

brakelite

I'm not hiding from anyone, nor refusing to answer. And have consistently taught that Christ is the centre of all that scripture teaches. If doctrine does not include Jesus, it is a false doctrine. For example, the law of ten commandments is all about Jesus and His righteousness. He, Jesus, gave the law at Sinai... Joseph in the OT said when running away from Potiphars's wife...I cannot sin against my master nor my God... If the righteousness we are to hunger and thirst for through faith in Christ is not in harmony with the law, them it is not righteousness. And you know that can be shown from scripture. That is not religion. That is not a man made system of bondage or vain worship. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. That is, seek Jesus, for only in Him can anyone be freed from sin. Come to Me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Jesus doesn't give you rest from your labours by removing the law, but by writing it on your heart. And it's the same law as what He gave Moses on those stone tablets. It hasn't changed. And sin is still the transgression of it.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just taking only one point about the Church of Latter Day Saints that we come down on all the time is the planet Kolob, near which God is supposed to live. We do exactly the same thing when we insist that He physically inhabits a particular and specific celestial, cosmic location (and worst of all, actually spends eternity just sitting on a big throne there). And, to us, it is a specific place called "Heaven." (We even think there are three of them.)
Yet we swear their understanding is somehow a horrible thing.
The Catholics even approach the praying for people after death, in a similar fashion to the way the LDS baptize.

We can all be such blind hypocrites.

Reactions: Helen
B

brakelite

With all possible respect, your questions do not ring of a sincere disrespectful to understand as another person. Rather, they come across as loading you're not really interested in the answers to.

I am not here to insult anyone's faith, goad, attack, or in any way be a jerk, especially over and over again on multiple threads. I ask politely that you show me the same curtesy.
Actually, if you remember correctly, it was @Enoch111 's question to you I was wanting to see the answer to. I have merely been defending his right to ask. I have no questions of my own for you at this time, but am simply defending the premise that all of us should be transparent and honest enough to be able to answer challenges to our faith. That goes for me as well. You are getting overly defensive simply because I think we should be answerable for our beliefs. Enoch quoted something from the book of Mormon. It was a fascinating quote and he asked the relevance of it to Joseph Smith's beliefs. I was genuinely interested myself. Still am. If you don't know the answer, then just say so.

Reactions: Enoch111