Door to door witnessing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Our pastor just this morning related a story from when he was first given his church to care for, and decided that he would visit door to door this new community. After knocking on numerous doors, and having only a very few answer the door, and those that did clearly not trusting him one little bit, finally discovered after many attempts, the reason for his lack of success. He came across someone he knew, and after being questioned, this friend informed the new pastor what the problem was. This was an opal mining community. The tax department had just sent over 20 tax collectors into the area looking for dodgers.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our pastor just this morning related a story from when he was first given his church to care for, and decided that he would visit door to door this new community. After knocking on numerous doors, and having only a very few answer the door, and those that did clearly not trusting him one little bit, finally discovered after many attempts, the reason for his lack of success. He came across someone he knew, and after being questioned, this friend informed the new pastor what the problem was. This was an opal mining community. The tax department had just sent over 20 tax collectors into the area looking for dodgers.

Oh good one!! :D

~ .~ . Thumb.gif

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, is it effective to witness to strangers at their home with tracks?
You meant tracts, and the answer is "perfectly acceptable, but the effectiveness is not in the hands of those who distribute tracts".

Reactions: brakelite

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You meant tracts, and the answer is "perfectly acceptable, but the effectiveness is not in the hands of those who distribute tracts".

A friend of mine years ago was very involved in tract ministry. We would go to a cafe for breakfast and he would pull out several napkins from the napkin holder and place a tract, and then put the napkins back in. You wouldn't know who got the tract but you leave it to God. And, any mail he received where they provided a postage paid envelope for response, he would place a tract in it and send it back. One can get pretty innovative.

Stranger

Reactions: brakelite

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine years ago was very involved in tract ministry. We would go to a cafe for breakfast and he would pull out several napkins from the napkin holder and place a tract, and then put the napkins back in. You wouldn't know who got the tract but you leave it to God. And, any mail he received where they provided a postage paid envelope for response, he would place a tract in it and send it back. One can get pretty innovative.

Stranger
I can't think of much more deceptive ways to turn off honest people to God than what you just described.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I can't think of much more deceptive ways to turn off honest people to God than what you just described.

A few decades ago we were taught that that was "the way to go."
But who knows. Just like those who paid for and dispensed the Gideon Bibles in all the hotel and motels. Only God knows the hearts that were touched. In my life I have heard of two men different men who were saved in their hotel room by reading the Gideon...
One 'unto salvation' and the other from suicide.

If God could use a donkey for Balaam .........?

Reactions: Brakelite

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few decades ago we were taught that that was "the way to go."
But who knows. Just like those who paid for and dispensed the Gideon Bibles in all the hotel and motels. Only God knows the hearts that were touched. In my life I have heard of two men different men who were saved in their hotel room by reading the Gideon...
One 'unto salvation' and the other from suicide.

If God could use a donkey for Balaam .........?
Gideon Bibles in a motel room are hardly the same thing.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are just as impersonal
I don't even mind "impersonal". There is a particular billboard in St. Pete that has always had religious things on it. But that tract stuff he mentioned is just plain sneaky... IMO not God's way of doing things.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My issue with handing out tracts is that it only gratifies the person handing out the tract....it is mechanical and low risk, and tells nothing about a personal relationship.

If you are going to share the most important relationship you have ever experienced....we better have a close relationship......same norm applies when discussing your relationship with your spouse.

Reactions: Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My issue with handing out tracts is that it only gratifies the person handing out the tract....it is mechanical and low risk, and tells nothing about a personal relationship.

If you are going to share the most important relationship you have ever experienced....we better have a close relationship......same norm applies when discussing your relationship with your spouse.

Yes, totally agree...but many "baby Christians" are started out that way. For us it was only a few months...then we did Friday nights Pub and Bar evangelism ...not that anyone wanted to hear what we had to say . :D
And we were amazed that the Bar man always let us go in and talk to people...and because we did it for 5 years the Barman seemed happy to see us when we came in :)

But..fruitful? No idea..only God knows that! ha!

Reactions: aspen and Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We wern't looking for honest people. We were looking for sinners who needed Jesus Christ. Sorry your holiness was insulted.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't even mind "impersonal". There is a particular billboard in St. Pete that has always had religious things on it. But that tract stuff he mentioned is just plain sneaky... IMO not God's way of doing things.

(2 Cor. 12:16) "But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile".

That 'tract stuff' has saved many a soul. It provides many avenues of distribution. Christians should use them and distribute them however they can. If you are too above that, then don't do it.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You can hand out tracts and witness about Jesus Christ at the same time. Many and varied are the ways to distribute tracts. No, you do not need a close relationship with an individual to witness to them. That's a bunch of bull. You just witness. Who cares about your spouse? I am talking about witnessing, not marital counseling.

The power of the Gospel is the Gospel. Not you. The tract presents the Gospel. (Rom. 1:16) And yes the one handing out the tract and presenting the Gospel is gratified as he is doing the work that God wants him to do.

Stranger

Reactions: Brakelite
B

brakelite

If we are going to write off any witness that doesn't have a deep personal relationship as a component, then we need to write off this forum, TV ministry, radio ministry, billboards, advertising,....

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are going to write off any witness that doesn't have a deep personal relationship as a component, then we need to write off this forum, TV ministry, radio ministry, billboards, advertising,....

I am comfortable with that.