Drawing the wrong conclusions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
exousia - the right or authority . . . to them he gave the right to become children of God . . . who were born . . . of God.

No . . . actually that's not what I said.

I simply pasted in what the Bible says:
Isn’t that what you believe though?

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

"As many as received him", "even to them that believe on his name", these are the qualifiers given in the text. God gives the right to be born His spirit children, and God gives birth to His spirit children. That is what this passage teaches, does it not?
Do you think this is all there is to becoming a Christian? Just believe only? Does the Bible have anything else to say on the subject? Two chapters later Jesus described the born again process consisting of two elements water and Spirit. Where is the water in Jn 1? Most if not all notable commentaries acknowledge that the water in Jn 3 refers to baptism.

Ah . . . baptized. Tell me . . . how many baptisms does the Bible teach?
Baptism of John. Carried out on the jews during Jesus earthly ministry
Baptism of fire. Which will happen at the judgement
Baptism of the HG. Took place twice. Once on the apostles in Acts 2 and the other on Cornelius in acts 10. Show me any other example of HS baptism.
Baptism of suffering. Which Jesus endured
Baptism into Moses. Which took place as the Israelites walked through the Red Sea completely surrounded by water on both sides and above.
Finally...there is great commission baptism which is to last until the end. The only one that is commanded for us today.

Baptized into Christ . . . tell me, what does "born again" mean to you?
Rom 6: 2-18 does a great job. In baptism one is buried in the water and raised up to walk in newness of life. Your sins are washed away acts 22:16 and you are new creature. Old things (sins) have passed away and all things become as new. 2 Cor 5:17.

You are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. Simple declarative statement.

For as many of you as have been baptised into Christ have put on Christ. Explanatory statement.
yes it explains HOW one is a child of God by faith. Because they have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine delivered them. Rom 6:17,18

I would answer these things in saying that being immersed into Jesus, into His death and burial allows us to share His resurrection, in our spirit live now, and in our physical resurrection in the ages to come.

We believe in Jesus, receiving Him, and God grants to us the right to be born His children. He joins us to Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection, and we are dead to sin, to the world, to the flesh, and alive unto God in Christ.

Not sure what your relevance is here . . . but, yeah.

Much love!
Mark
you would say? What’s more important is.....what does the Bible say..

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn’t that what you believe though?

I knew you had an agenda. I'm not really interested in filling is as your opposition. You obviously have a point to make, and you want to make it against me, but I'm not really that interested, sorry!

If your want to prove baptismal regeneration or the like, have at it!

:)

Much love!
Mark

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don’t understand. Are you saying...that those who are “truly born again” won’t sin? How can you tell if one is “truly born again”. I know of a case of a Baptist pastor having a year long affair with a choir girl. I’m sure the entire congregation considered him one to be “truly born again”.
Born again do sin but are not bound by sin or slaves to Sin.

I can not comment on the Pastor as I do not know him.

Oh I can tell if one is not born again for sure that's easy when you get to know them and some times straight out directly.

Not all born again are at their peek as when one becomes born again you will mainly grow in the Lord Jesus, so not all are at the same level, as we all have our gifts that differ somewhat, so not all have it all together, as they can still be mislead somewhat still but what they know can be seen as God given, it's not of their works as it's not they who do but the Holy Spirit that moves them and they know it. they are compelled to abide in the Lords Salvation to serve. one may not want to do in their body themselves as they will rather do nothing or do something other but they will do because the Holy Spirit calls and once on track does not begrudge doing such because it's your calling.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew you had an agenda. I'm not really interested in filling is as your opposition. You obviously have a point to make, and you want to make it against me, but I'm not really that interested, sorry!

If your want to prove baptismal regeneration or the like, have at it!

:)

Much love!
Mark
So you don’t want to defend what you believe? 1 pet 3 says be ready ALWAYS to give an answer of the hope that is in you. You obviously believe your hope resides in faith alone. I guess you’re not ready to give an answer for that.
Here’s the irritating thing....people post passages with no explanation and expect me to read between the lines. Well, I try to read between the lines and then they get upset and say.....”I didn’t say that”...”don’t put words in my mouth”.
If you people would explain what you believe then I wouldn’t have to do that. The truth is? I believe most are afraid to really state what they believe because they know they can’t defend it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you don’t want to defend what you believe? 1 pet 3 says be ready ALWAYS to give an answer of the hope that is in you. You obviously believe your hope resides in faith alone. I guess you’re not ready to give an answer for that.
Here’s the irritating thing....people post passages with no explanation and expect me to read between the lines. Well, I try to read between the lines and then they get upset and say.....”I didn’t say that”...”don’t put words in my mouth”.
If you people would explain what you believe then I wouldn’t have to do that. The truth is? I believe most are afraid to really state what they believe because they know they can’t defend it.

You've been egging for an argument this whole time.

You obviously think you know something about me and want to prove me wrong.

You want to manipulate me by refering to a Scripture that teaches us to be able to explain our faith to others. I say manipulate, because you are only using this verse as a weapon to goad me into an argument with you. And someone that thinks so lightly of Scripture, well, not an appealing point.

You assume my reasons and motives. Another not very appealing point.

You asked a question, I have a Biblical response. But it didn't snap on the bait you offered, so now you are trying to kick start something. Why?

Why not just say what you think?

"If you people . . .", what people?

The truth is? I believe most are afraid to really state what they believe because they know they can’t defend it.

That's what you think?

Prove yourself wrong by searching my posts and threads.

But I'm not here just to argue.

Much love!
Mark

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've been egging for an argument this whole time.

You obviously think you know something about me and want to prove me wrong.

You want to manipulate me by refering to a Scripture that teaches us to be able to explain our faith to others. I say manipulate, because you are only using this verse as a weapon to goad me into an argument with you. And someone that thinks so lightly of Scripture, well, not an appealing point.

You assume my reasons and motives. Another not very appealing point.

You asked a question, I have a Biblical response. But it didn't snap on the bait you offered, so now you are trying to kick start something. Why?

Why not just say what you think?

"If you people . . .", what people?

That's what you think?

Prove yourself wrong by searching my posts and threads.

But I'm not here just to argue.

Much love!
Mark
Of course your not on here to just argue. That’s why you have over 1800 responses on here. And I’m sure if I read them you will be in total agreement with everything that has been said. You know how I know that? Because you’re not on here to just argue. I’m not on here to just argue but here is what the Bible says.

Paul said prove all things and hold fast that which is good. The word also tells us on a number of occasions that Paul DISPUTED with individuals on a daily basis. You know what that means? He argued his point of truth. Jude 3 tells us to CONTEND for THE FAITH. You know what that means? Paul also tells us that elders are to be versed in the word so that they may CONVINCE THE GAINSAYERS. I’m not baiting with scripture, I’m just showing you what it says and I could go on and on. The truth is you will only “argue” with people that don’t know anything and that cannot combat your false teaching.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course your not on here to just argue. That’s why you have over 1800 responses on here. And I’m sure if I read them you will be in total agreement with everything that has been said. You know how I know that? Because you’re not on here to just argue. I’m not on here to just argue but here is what the Bible says.

Paul said prove all things and hold fast that which is good. The word also tells us on a number of occasions that Paul DISPUTED with individuals on a daily basis. You know what that means? He argued his point of truth. Jude 3 tells us to CONTEND for THE FAITH. You know what that means? Paul also tells us that elders are to be versed in the word so that they may CONVINCE THE GAINSAYERS. I’m not baiting with scripture, I’m just showing you what it says and I could go on and on. The truth is you will only “argue” with people that don’t know anything and that cannot combat your false teaching.

It's your tone, and all the sarcasm. The Bible teaches that there are some arguments which don't edify.

And no, you are baiting with Scripture. You are quoting verses to me not for the purpose of building me up, instead to egg me into a fight.

No thank you!

Much love!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's your tone, and all the sarcasm. The Bible teaches that there are some arguments which don't edify.

And no, you are baiting with Scripture. You are quoting verses to me not for the purpose of building me up, instead to egg me into a fight.

No thank you!

Much love!
If you go back, and I challenge anyone reading this exchange to look at this. This all started at post 232. I responded with a question to start a Bible study and all I get is one obscure passage. What am I supposed to do with that but read between the lines that Marks became a child of His at the point of belief. How can anybody come to any other conclusion? So go back and read post 232-236 and tell me what tone has to do with it.
The truth is....people don’t like their “faith” to be questioned. We have all been taught, erroneously, that we all have our own “faith” and nobody can question it. And if they do they have a problem. That is as false as false can be and I will give anybody all kinds of TONE who holds to that position. You can like it or not.
I guess when Jesus flipped over the tables in the temple there was no tone there. I guess Mt chapter 23 has zero tone in it. I’m sure they all like being called names like white washed tombs. I’m sure that went over really well. Thats a recipe to win friends and influence people.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What am I supposed to do with that but read between the lines that Marks became a child of His at the point of belief. How can anybody come to any other conclusion?

Remember . . . you were reading God's words, not mine. That was what He said, not me, so any meaning you're getting in the passage, well, God wrote it. I just quoted it.

And I'd hardly call it obscure! Maybe that's just me though.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This all started at post 232. I responded with a question to start a Bible study and all I get is one obscure passage. What am I supposed to do with that but read between the lines that Marks became a child of His at the point of belief. How can anybody come to any other conclusion? So go back and read post 232-236 and tell me what tone has to do with it.
The truth is....people don’t like their “faith” to be questioned.

Hi CNKW3,

You've said that you "responded with a question to start a Bible study", and I responded with a Bible verse.

The truth is, as I see it, that you detected in me the doctrine you oppose, and therefore you asked me a question to draw me into that opposition.

Your truth may be that "people don't like their 'faith' to be questioned", just the same, because you believe that about me doesn't mean that's true of me.

So let's start that Bible Study, if that is what you want. You had asked how I was born from God, something like that, and in answer, I've quoted a passage from John 1,

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

I received Him, believed in His Name, and I was born from God. God did it, not me, I believed, and He gave me birth, just like this passage says.

Your thoughts?

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Butterfly

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess when Jesus flipped over the tables in the temple there was no tone there.

. . . and I'm guessing you are Jesus and I'm the moneychangers, is that right? This is justification?

Much love!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi CNKW3,

You've said that you "responded with a question to start a Bible study", and I responded with a Bible verse.

The truth is, as I see it, that you detected in me the doctrine you oppose, and therefore you asked me a question to draw me into that opposition.

Your truth may be that "people don't like their 'faith' to be questioned", just the same, because you believe that about me doesn't mean that's true of me.

So let's start that Bible Study, if that is what you want. You had asked how I was born from God, something like that, and in answer, I've quoted a passage from John 1,

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

I received Him, believed in His Name, and I was born from God. God did it, not me, I believed, and He gave me birth, just like this passage says.

Your thoughts?

Much love!
Mark
My thoughts would begin with this....what about repentance? Does one have to repent in order to become a child of God? I have to assume you don’t believe in repentance as a requirement for fellowship with God since all you said was....
that you received him, believed and THEN you were born from God.
We know through scripture that belief and repentance are different actions. Those listening to the first gospel sermon in acts 2 believed but they still needed to hear that they needed to repent before sins could be remitted.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. . . and I'm guessing you are Jesus and I'm the moneychangers, is that right? This is justification?

Much love!
No. I was just making a point. Everybody has this idea that Jesus tip-toed around, never irritated anyone, never spoke negatively about anyone, never argued, never showed any anger, it was all just love,love,love. That is not the Jesus I read about in the NT. He even said he did not come to bring peace but a sword. He new his message would divide and irritate many, many people like it still does today.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I was just making a point. Everybody has this idea that Jesus tip-toed around, never irritated anyone, never spoke negatively about anyone, never argued, never showed any anger, it was all just love,love,love. That is not the Jesus I read about in the NT. He even said he did not come to bring peace but a sword. He new his message would divide and irritate many, many people like it still does today.

So you like to be abrasive to show that you can?

And who is this "everybody"? No need to lump me in with an "everybody", unless, that is, you find that easier that getting to know me.

Points like that, well, yeah.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thoughts would begin with this....what about repentance? Does one have to repent in order to become a child of God? I have to assume you don’t believe in repentance as a requirement for fellowship with God since all you said was....
that you received him, believed and THEN you were born from God.
We know through scripture that belief and repentance are different actions. Those listening to the first gospel sermon in acts 2 believed but they still needed to hear that they needed to repent before sins could be remitted.

OK, I'd say first, do you find this passage to be as I present it?

Assume anything you like, but that just means you are debating with yourself. Ask what you wish.

If you don't wish to comment on the passage I posted, perhaps you could answer this question.

What is the definition of the New Testament "repent"?

Much love!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you like to be abrasive to show that you can?

And who is this "everybody"? No need to lump me in with an "everybody", unless, that is, you find that easier that getting to know me.

Points like that, well, yeah.

Much love!
Who said I was abrasive? You? That’s your opinion. I have been “abrasive” to nobody. Just because the message goes against your belief does not mean I am being harsh. Only in your eyes. I call nobody names, I am not inconsiderate, I read everything people send me. I’ve even watched some of their videos which ended up being a waste of my time. I take my time to try and show you truth because I believe truth matters. We believe different things and we both can’t be right. Yes, I will “contend”, “argue” or whatever you want to call it, for the faith.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said I was abrasive? You? That’s your opinion. I have been “abrasive” to nobody. Just because the message goes against your belief does not mean I am being harsh. Only in your eyes. I call nobody names, I am not inconsiderate, I read everything people send me. I’ve even watched some of their videos which ended up being a waste of my time. I take my time to try and show you truth because I believe truth matters. We believe different things and we both can’t be right. Yes, I will “contend”, “argue” or whatever you want to call it, for the faith.

Yes, 'abrasive' was my charaterization.

And yes, I agree, your tone has nothing to do with whether we agree. You want to wrap these all up together, but I don't.

You haven't responded to the Scripture I posted.

Much love!
Mark