Dream And Vision Interpretation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no gift of 'dream interpretation'. I hold to the gifts of the Spirit. And, I certainly believe God does still give believers dreams and visions. But that doesn't mean one has the gift of interpreting those dreams.

How about the Word of Knowledge?
Would that not apply to interpretation of dreams?

Yes, not all dreams are from God.
But I believe some are. It's Biblical.

When God gives a believer a dream or vision it is connected with that believers life. And that believer will know more what it may address than any other individual.

My dream was connected to my life.
And I pretty well understood what it was all about.
But I see nothing wrong with another person confirming the meaning of that dream.

Some people might not be able to understand, maybe that's where "A Word of Knowledge" would bring understanding.

The Word of Knowledge is simply the Holy Spirit transmitting His specific knowledge to you on something that you would have no ability or means to be able to know about with your own limited intelligence and knowledge levels.

It is supernatural knowledge and insight being given directly to you by the Holy Spirit Himself, not by your own mind or your own intelligence levels.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, I hadn't considered linking the two parts of the dream. I also haven't experienced this yet.

Then I can tell you what it would in all likelihood represent, but it would be more something I should share with you in private.
This dream happened shortly after I started walking with God, but he does say he will make known the end from the beginning.

Yes. Dreams, especially one you remembered for this long, can often be prophetically referring to something a long way off, particularly if they relate to your calling or the most significant events of your spiritual life.
After reflecting on the dream I thought I made a mistake attacking those angels or demons.

Nope. Your attacking them is actually how you save the skeletons in the desert; by distinguishing poison from what they truly need: The water of the Holy Spirit that will raise them back to life.

Reactions: Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about the Word of Knowledge?
Would that not apply to interpretation of dreams?

Yes, not all dreams are from God.
But I believe some are. It's Biblical.

My dream was connected to my life.
And I pretty well understood what it was all about.
But I see nothing wrong with another person confirming the meaning of that dream.

Some people might not be able to understand, maybe that's where "A Word of Knowledge" would bring understanding.

The Word of Knowledge is simply the Holy Spirit transmitting His specific knowledge to you on something that you would have no ability or means to be able to know about with your own limited intelligence and knowledge levels.

It is supernatural knowledge and insight being given directly to you by the Holy Spirit Himself, not by your own mind or your own intelligence levels.

The danger is that there is no gift of dream interpretation. For one to say they have that gift, and then others listen and receive their interpretation is dangerous. Why? Because you don't know what is governing this 'gift'? Not God, because it is not a gift.

Within your assembly if there is someone with a 'word of knowledge' fine. That doesn't mean the one with the gift of the 'word of knowledge' is an interpreter of dreams.

Within the Church, every ones local assembly, there are sufficient amount of gifts to meet the needs of every believer. Dream interpretation is not one of them. To allow one to have that position, as a dream interpreter, is to allow the seduction of the people of God.

Stranger

Reactions: Rita and tzcho2

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, you claim the Holy Spirit cannot reveal things to people?
Is that what you are saying?
I suggest that you should not put a limit on what the Holy Spirit can and will do.
I have asked the Spirit to reveal things to me and it worked.
If you don't want to call it a gift, fine, call it whatever you like.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The danger is that there is no gift of dream interpretation. For one to say they have that gift, and then others listen and receive their interpretation is dangerous. Why? Because you don't know what is governing this 'gift'? Not God, because it is not a gift.

Stranger, the ability to interpret dreams is closely associated with the gifts of the prophet, is it not? Let's start there.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no gift of 'dream interpretation'. I hold to the gifts of the Spirit. And, I certainly believe God does still give believers dreams and visions. But that doesn't mean one has the gift of interpreting those dreams.

When God gives a believer a dream or vision it is connected with that believers life. And that believer will know more what it may address than any other individual. Not all dreams are from God. Some are just 'dreams'. When it is from God, they know it.

Stranger
Well just in case it is a Jacob Dream I would like to have one who is anointed and called to interpret dreams to confirm it and clarify it. And I do believe there are scriptures where one had a dream and another interpreted it...Daniel...and King Nebechennezer

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Within your assembly if there is someone with a 'word of knowledge' fine. That doesn't mean the one with the gift of the 'word of knowledge' is an interpreter of dreams.

Within the Church, every ones local assembly, there are sufficient amount of gifts to meet the needs of every believer. Dream interpretation is not one of them. To allow one to have that position, as a dream interpreter, is to allow the seduction of the people of God.

Stranger
There is tons of teaching about dreams and interpretation that supports an anointing to do this.....
You could say the same thing about all the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit that one who is operating in it must be tested to know what spirit is operating...yes we must test the spirit....rightly divide the truth.

Reactions: pompadour and Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you claim the Holy Spirit cannot reveal things to people?
Is that what you are saying?
I suggest that you should not put a limit on what the Holy Spirit can and will do.
I have asked the Spirit to reveal things to me and it worked.
If you don't want to call it a gift, fine, call it whatever you like.

No, I didn't say that. God can and does reveal things to His people. And He sometimes uses dreams or visions to do so. What I am saying is that there is no gift of dream interpretation given to a believer. And there are plenty of gifts of the Holy Spirit that will work toward revealing anything to you that God wants revealed to you. That doesn't discount you having a dream or vision that God may give to encourage, or enforce, or warn.

Stranger

Reactions: Rita

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well just in case it is a Jacob Dream I would like to have one who is anointed and called to interpret dreams to confirm it and clarify it. And I do believe there are scriptures where one had a dream and another interpreted it...Daniel...and King Nebechennezer

There is tons of teaching about dreams and interpretation that supports an anointing to do this.....
You could say the same thing about all the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit that one who is operating in it must be tested to know what spirit is operating...yes we must test the spirit....rightly divide the truth.

Yes, we must test the spirits. In ones local assembly, if that assembly allows the gifts, the gifts will surface naturally in a believers life. Both the leadership and the congregation will recognize it. Thus the leadership and congregation become a covering for any misuse or false use.

In the Old Testament period, God's Spirit would use certain individuals at times to reveal His will. And dreams and visions were a method He used. But now in the Church age, the Holy Ghost has come upon all the believing, and all can now have dreams or visions from God. (Acts 2:16-18)

Concerning Jacobs dream, (Gen. 28:11-22), Jacob had complete understanding. He did not need another's interpretation. This is why I say, some dreams are just dreams. If it is from God, you know it.

Concerning Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar, two things. First, Daniel had to reveal the dream before the interpretation was to be believed. (Dan. 2:6) Second, it was given to him through the prayer of his believing friends. (Dan. 2:17-19)

Stranger

Reactions: Rita

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explain.

Stranger

You are claiming that dream interpretation is not a spiritual gift, yet you would obviously agree that prophecy is.

So my question is this: What role did dream interpretation play in the prophecies Joseph spoke to Pharaoh in Genesis 41:

1 After two whole years, Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing by the Nile, 2 and behold, there came up out of the Nile seven cows, attractive and plump, and they fed in the reed grass. 3 And behold, seven other cows, ugly and thin, came up out of the Nile after them, and stood by the other cows on the bank of the Nile. 4 And the ugly, thin cows ate up the seven attractive, plump cows. And Pharaoh awoke. 5 And he fell asleep and dreamed a second time. And behold, seven ears of grain, plump and good, were growing on one stalk. 6 And behold, after them sprouted seven ears, thin and blighted by the east wind. 7 And the thin ears swallowed up the seven plump, full ears. And Pharaoh awoke, and behold, it was a dream. 8 So in the morning his spirit was troubled, and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was none who could interpret them to Pharaoh.

9 Then the chief cupbearer said to Pharaoh, “I remember my offenses today. 10 When Pharaoh was angry with his servants and put me and the chief baker in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, 11 we dreamed on the same night, he and I, each having a dream with its own interpretation. 12 A young Hebrew was there with us, a servant of the captain of the guard. When we told him, he interpreted our dreams to us, giving an interpretation to each man according to his dream. 13 And as he interpreted to us, so it came about. I was restored to my office, and the baker was hanged.”

14 Then Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they quickly brought him out of the pit. And when he had shaved himself and changed his clothes, he came in before Pharaoh. 15 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.” 16 Joseph answered Pharaoh, “It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh a favorable answer.” 17 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Behold, in my dream I was standing on the banks of the Nile. 18 Seven cows, plump and attractive, came up out of the Nile and fed in the reed grass. 19 Seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and thin, such as I had never seen in all the land of Egypt. 20 And the thin, ugly cows ate up the first seven plump cows, 21 but when they had eaten them no one would have known that they had eaten them, for they were still as ugly as at the beginning. Then I awoke. 22 I also saw in my dream seven ears growing on one stalk, full and good. 23 Seven ears, withered, thin, and blighted by the east wind, sprouted after them, 24 and the thin ears swallowed up the seven good ears. And I told it to the magicians, but there was no one who could explain it to me.”

25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good ears are seven years; the dreams are one. 27 The seven lean and ugly cows that came up after them are seven years, and the seven empty ears blighted by the east wind are also seven years of famine. 28 It is as I told Pharaoh; God has shown to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 29 There will come seven years of great plenty throughout all the land of Egypt, 30 but after them there will arise seven years of famine, and all the plenty will be forgotten in the land of Egypt. The famine will consume the land, 31 and the plenty will be unknown in the land by reason of the famine that will follow, for it will be very severe. 32 And the doubling of Pharaoh's dream means that the thing is fixed by God, and God will shortly bring it about. 33 Now therefore let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh proceed to appoint overseers over the land and take one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt during the seven plentiful years. 35 And let them gather all the food of these good years that are coming and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh for food in the cities, and let them keep it. 36 That food shall be a reserve for the land against the seven years of famine that are to occur in the land of Egypt, so that the land may not perish through the famine.”
(Genesis 41:1-36)

Reactions: Pisteuo

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are claiming that dream interpretation is not a spiritual gift, yet you would obviously agree that prophecy is.

So my question is this: What role did dream interpretation play in the prophecies Joseph spoke to Pharaoh in Genesis 41:

1 After two whole years, Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing by the Nile, 2 and behold, there came up out of the Nile seven cows, attractive and plump, and they fed in the reed grass. 3 And behold, seven other cows, ugly and thin, came up out of the Nile after them, and stood by the other cows on the bank of the Nile. 4 And the ugly, thin cows ate up the seven attractive, plump cows. And Pharaoh awoke. 5 And he fell asleep and dreamed a second time. And behold, seven ears of grain, plump and good, were growing on one stalk. 6 And behold, after them sprouted seven ears, thin and blighted by the east wind. 7 And the thin ears swallowed up the seven plump, full ears. And Pharaoh awoke, and behold, it was a dream. 8 So in the morning his spirit was troubled, and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was none who could interpret them to Pharaoh.

9 Then the chief cupbearer said to Pharaoh, “I remember my offenses today. 10 When Pharaoh was angry with his servants and put me and the chief baker in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, 11 we dreamed on the same night, he and I, each having a dream with its own interpretation. 12 A young Hebrew was there with us, a servant of the captain of the guard. When we told him, he interpreted our dreams to us, giving an interpretation to each man according to his dream. 13 And as he interpreted to us, so it came about. I was restored to my office, and the baker was hanged.”

14 Then Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they quickly brought him out of the pit. And when he had shaved himself and changed his clothes, he came in before Pharaoh. 15 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.” 16 Joseph answered Pharaoh, “It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh a favorable answer.” 17 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Behold, in my dream I was standing on the banks of the Nile. 18 Seven cows, plump and attractive, came up out of the Nile and fed in the reed grass. 19 Seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and thin, such as I had never seen in all the land of Egypt. 20 And the thin, ugly cows ate up the first seven plump cows, 21 but when they had eaten them no one would have known that they had eaten them, for they were still as ugly as at the beginning. Then I awoke. 22 I also saw in my dream seven ears growing on one stalk, full and good. 23 Seven ears, withered, thin, and blighted by the east wind, sprouted after them, 24 and the thin ears swallowed up the seven good ears. And I told it to the magicians, but there was no one who could explain it to me.”

25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good ears are seven years; the dreams are one. 27 The seven lean and ugly cows that came up after them are seven years, and the seven empty ears blighted by the east wind are also seven years of famine. 28 It is as I told Pharaoh; God has shown to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 29 There will come seven years of great plenty throughout all the land of Egypt, 30 but after them there will arise seven years of famine, and all the plenty will be forgotten in the land of Egypt. The famine will consume the land, 31 and the plenty will be unknown in the land by reason of the famine that will follow, for it will be very severe. 32 And the doubling of Pharaoh's dream means that the thing is fixed by God, and God will shortly bring it about. 33 Now therefore let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh proceed to appoint overseers over the land and take one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt during the seven plentiful years. 35 And let them gather all the food of these good years that are coming and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh for food in the cities, and let them keep it. 36 That food shall be a reserve for the land against the seven years of famine that are to occur in the land of Egypt, so that the land may not perish through the famine.”
(Genesis 41:1-36)

I have not discounted how the Holy Spirit used individuals in the Old Testament as a prophet or one who could interpret dreams. See my post #30 for further explanation.

Nor have I discounted that every believer in Christ can receive dreams or visions from God, if God so desires. For every believer now has the Holy Ghost. That doesn't mean all dreams are God speaking to you. What I know is that the interpretation of dreams is not a spiritual gift.

Yes, Joseph could interpret dreams. And the casting of lots was done to know the will of God. (Jonah 1:7) But not anymore. If God gives a Christian a dream it is purposeful and the believer will know what that purpose is because he has the Holy Spirit and that is the avenue the dream would have been given. He will not need an interpreter.

Most dreams are just dreams.

Stranger

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not discounted how the Holy Spirit used individuals in the Old Testament as a prophet or one who could interpret dreams. See my post #30 for further explanation.

Nor have I discounted that every believer in Christ can receive dreams or visions from God, if God so desires. For every believer now has the Holy Ghost. That doesn't mean all dreams are God speaking to you. What I know is that the interpretation of dreams is not a spiritual gift.

Yes, Joseph could interpret dreams. And the casting of lots was done to know the will of God. (Jonah 1:7) But not anymore.

I asked you what role did dream interpretation play in Joseph's prophecies to Pharaoh. The correct answer is that the dream and its interpretation was an intrinsic part of the prophecy itself, making it a form of prophecy. And since prophecy is indeed a spiritual gift, dream interpretation therefore must be as well. Your simply "knowing it is not" dismisses this out of hand.
If God gives a Christian a dream it is purposeful and the believer will know what that purpose is because he has the Holy Spirit and that is the avenue the dream would have been given. He will not need an interpreter.

Your quote above is based on the assumption that "if a dream is from God then the NT believer will know what it means." Yet those believers in Christ who have posted here have asked for assistance in helping understand their dreams because in many cases they have to various extents not known what they meant. Why are you automatically assuming their dreams must not be of God simply because they cannot interpret them? I had dreams for nearly three decades that I could not interpret because I was not operating in the gift yet. Those dreams were of the exact same nature as the ones I have now, only I could not understand them because I had not entered into interpretation yet, not because God was not trying to talk to me the entire time.

Genesis 41:1-36 establishes the fact that a servant of God can interpret dreams given to another person. If the scriptures establish that a believer can accurately interpret the dreams of another person, and if believers in our own time are sometimes having difficulty interpreting their own dreams, why should they be discouraged from enlisting the help of those who can? It is as if you are saying believers are given spiritual gifts only so they can depend upon themselves alone for ministry, which is entirely out of keeping with the New Testament teaching on how the body has many parts yet all are interdependent upon one another (see the underlined verses especially):

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these work that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? 18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. 19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. 22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: 23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. 24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked. 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. (1 Corinthians 12:4-25)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What I wonder is can you know if it is possible for the outcome of a prophetic dream to change? Or is it set in stone?

When I am awake a word of knowledge can alert me to pray and prevent something. But it was not so for an event warned about in my dream.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, Joseph could interpret dreams. And the casting of lots was done to know the will of God. (Jonah 1:7) But not anymore. If God gives a Christian a dream it is purposeful and the believer will know what that purpose is because he has the Holy Spirit and that is the avenue the dream would have been given. He will not need an interpreter.

Most dreams are just dreams.

Stranger
Hi, this verse came to mind and I am sharing it with you...the seers who see vision and dreams are seeing prophetically...if it is prophetic then it should be subject to interpretation by another prophet or by spiritual discernment to test it....so interpretation of dreams is basically a gift or calling that is given to one who operates in the gift of prophesy as well as spiritual discernment. I think you are just getting to hung up on the idea it is not a spiritual "gift"...but it is a result of the use of the gifts of the spirit....as I already mentioned.....
Does this make sense?
Acts 2:17-21 King James Version (KJV)
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I wonder is can you know if it is possible for the outcome of a prophetic dream to change? Or is it set in stone?

When I am awake a word of knowledge can alert me to pray and prevent something. But it was not so for an event warned about in my dream.
No...it is not set in stone...especially if it is a dream that is to warn of impending consequences....if the person heeds the warning then the outcome is changed.
I am a prophetic seer...I see prophesy through visions....when I get one of those warning ones I pray and intercede about it first.... in obedience to the Holy Spirit I share it with that individual...the choice to receive it and to correct what situation is involved is up to them.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I wonder is can you know if it is possible for the outcome of a prophetic dream to change?

Certainly it is possible to change the outcome of a dream. If you read Posts #2 and #3, Josho's two dreams about N. Korea are a case in point. That prophecy appears to have been averted.

And actually, more often than not the very purpose of dreams is to change the direction believers are going in. I see this a lot with personal dreams, especially those being seduced by sin or the world. They get warned of the consequences they may soon suffer if they don't change their course of action, or make sure not to get seduced into stepping out of God's will. They usually act on the prophecy, and the consequences are averted.

This is probably because the other people involved did not change their course of action despite you interceding for them. They still had their freewill, and sometimes despite our prayers they have to be allowed to go in the direction they want, despite it not being God's will for them.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you what role did dream interpretation play in Joseph's prophecies to Pharaoh. The correct answer is that the dream and its interpretation was an intrinsic part of the prophecy itself, making it a form of prophecy. And since prophecy is indeed a spiritual gift, dream interpretation therefore must be as well. Your simply "knowing it is not" dismisses this out of hand.

Your quote above is based on the assumption that "if a dream is from God then the NT believer will know what it means." Yet those believers in Christ who have posted here have asked for assistance in helping understand their dreams because in many cases they have to various extents not known what they meant. Why are you automatically assuming their dreams must not be of God simply because they cannot interpret them? I had dreams for nearly three decades that I could not interpret because I was not operating in the gift yet. Those dreams were of the exact same nature as the ones I have now, only I could not understand them because I had not entered into interpretation yet, not because God was not trying to talk to me the entire time.

Genesis 41:1-36 establishes the fact that a servant of God can interpret dreams given to another person. If the scriptures establish that a believer can accurately interpret the dreams of another person, and if believers in our own time are sometimes having difficulty interpreting their own dreams, why should they be discouraged from enlisting the help of those who can? It is as if you are saying believers are given spiritual gifts only so they can depend upon themselves alone for ministry, which is entirely out of keeping with the New Testament teaching on how the body has many parts yet all are interdependent upon one another (see the underlined verses especially):

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these work that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? 18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. 19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. 22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: 23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. 24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked. 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. (1 Corinthians 12:4-25)

Yes, I know what you asked me and I answered you. I am not going to keep repeating my answer. Read post #30 and 32 again.

The reason 'I know' dream interpretation is not a spiritual gift is because it is not given in Scripture as a spiritual gift. And for good reason. And even though prophecy is a spiritual gift it is not as the Old Testament prophets. It is as used by the Spirit of God in the Church. Thus your connection to Old Testament form of prophecy does not work.

Again, not all dreams are from God. Most are just dreams. If someone does not understand a dream, big deal. There are many dreams that are not understandable. That doesn't mean they are from God. In the Old Testament God gave certain individuals the ability to interpret. But now that the Holy Spirit has come upon all, then God gives to all dreams and visions when He wants to. A third party interpreter is not needed.

I don't discount that many here have dreams they don't understand. That doesn't make the dreams from God. So when you set yourself as an interpreter of dreams, you must first decide if that dream is really from God or not. You don't know. They apparently don't know. So then you must 'dream' up an interpretation. Therein lies they danger. You can go to secular counselors who will listen to your dreams and give you some interpretation also.

So you see, not only do I have to trust that the one with the dream knows it is a dream from God, but that you know it is a dream from God, and then that you interpret it correctly. All in light of 'dream interpretation' not being a spiritual gift. All in light of God giving all and not just certain individuals dreams and visions.

If God wants to communicate with the believer through a dream or vision, which He does at times, that believer will know it is from God and will know what it is for because it will pertain to that believer and his circumstances.

Yes I am aware how the Body of Christ works through the various gifts of the Spirit. But interpretation of dreams is not one of them.

Stranger

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Thank you both for answering.

Perhaps the outcome of prophetic dreams can be averted. But looking into this, specificly Pharaoh's dream in Genesis 41. His dreams were examples of some set in stone. He recieved it in two forms.

"The reason the dream was given to Pharaoh in two forms is that the matter has been firmly decided by God, and God will do it soon."

So is that a principle useful to interpreting any dreams, to know what can be changed and what not?