Drinking Alcohol, should a Christian do it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My heart is right before God, but I drink a 6 pack of beer every summer.
Every summer? You wild and crazy guy! :) I remember some pro golfer, when asked if he might have five or six beers tonight, replied "Who has five or six beers??? I'm thinking more like 25."
God loves everyone, but the fact that He loves them does not stop them from ending up in hell.
You were born 300 years too late. You would've made an excellent Puritan. You seem incapable of distinguishing between enjoying ife and the gifts God has given us, on the one hand, and abusing those gifts to the point of sin. There is a distinction between enjoying food and gluttony, having a beer and having 25 beers.

• Haha
Reactions: MA2444

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you trying to tell me I am sinning by drinking 6 beers a year?!
As you probably know already, there are cults that make it a sin for their member to drink alcohol and these poor souls just get taken in and deceived. Jesus didn't ban it so it's okay as long as it's not an addiction. And even then it's not a sin. Jesus sets us free, he doesn't bind us up with all sorts of imagined sins.

• Love
Reactions: Wrangler and MA2444

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you trying to tell me I am sinning by drinking 6 beers a year?!

Romans 14:
14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.../KJV

I dont see any sin in one six pack of beer for a year. They last for a month because two is my limit. It's not a lifestyle or an everyday thing so I dont understand how you recgmize that as sin?

Unless maybe you are a recovering alcoholic and you know you can't drink two beers or it would be a case? Then perhaps it would be a sin for you.

He's a part of that cabal that stands at the door and judges everyone.

Reactions: Wrangler and MA2444

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God loves everyone, but the fact that He loves them does not stop them from ending up in hell.

Matthew 7:13,14
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Intoxication is one of the things the Lord says causes people to not inherit the Kingdom of God.
Unbelief? If you have a problem with drinking it would be improper for me to drink in front of you. It’s understand if you believe that everyone can be perfect. However perfect is only meaning complete or fulfilled. I’m sorry I’m not perfect and have many flaws. Anger being the top, but I try not to let bitterness start to grow. Praise God it’s the one whom Yahweh raised from the Dead we believe on whom makes a person right before God.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly where in the Bible does it say "Though Shalt not Drink" "No Where" It says Do not become a drunkard.
Some people cannot handle the temptation. They should avoid it at all costs.
Reminded up what Paul wrote to Colossians.

”You accepted Christ Jesus as Lord, so continue to live following him. You must depend on Christ only, drawing life and strength from him. Just as you were taught the truth, continue to grow stronger in your understanding of it. And never stop giving thanks to God.

Be sure you are not led away by the teaching of those who have nothing worth saying and only plan to deceive you.

That teaching is not from Christ. It is only human tradition and comes from the powers that influence this world. I say this because all of God lives in Christ fully, even in his life on earth. And because you belong to Christ you are complete, having everything you need. Christ is ruler over every other power and authority. In Christ you had a different kind of circumcision, one that was not done by human hands.

That is, you were made free from the power of your sinful self. That is the kind of circumcision Christ does. When you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and you were raised up with him because of your faith in God’s power.

God’s power was shown when he raised Christ from death. You were spiritually dead because of your sins and because you were not free from the power of your sinful self. But God gave you new life together with Christ. He forgave all our sins.

Because we broke God’s laws, we owed a debt—a debt that listed all the rules we failed to follow. But God forgave us of that debt. He took it away and nailed it to the cross. He defeated the rulers and powers of the spiritual world. With the cross he won the victory over them and led them away, as defeated and powerless prisoners for the whole world to see.

So don’t let anyone make rules for you about eating and drinking or about Jewish customs (festivals, New Moon celebrations, or Sabbath days). In the past these things were like a shadow that showed what was coming. But the new things that were coming are found in Christ.

Some people enjoy acting as if they are humble and love to worship angels. They always talk about the visions they have seen. Don’t listen to them when they say you are wrong because you don’t do these things. It is so foolish for them to feel such pride, because it is all based on their own human ideas.

They don’t keep themselves under the control of the head. Christ is the head, and the whole body depends on him. Because of Christ all the parts of the body care for each other and help each other. So the body is made stronger and held together as God causes it to grow.

You died with Christ and were made free from the powers that influence this world. So why do you act as if you still belong to the world? I mean, why do you follow rules like these: “Don’t eat this,” “Don’t taste that,” “Don’t touch that”?

These rules are talking about earthly things that are gone after they are used. They are only human commands and teachings. These rules may seem to be wise as part of a made-up religion in which people pretend to be humble and punish their bodies. But they don’t help people stop doing the evil that the sinful self wants to do.“
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2‬:‭6‬-‭23‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 7:13,14
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Intoxication is one of the things the Lord says causes people to not inherit the Kingdom of God.

People that promote false beliefs deceive….it is part of the process of lies. LOL find the word “intoxication” in the scriptures. LOL

Why not be interested in promoting the truth of the scriptures?
Why not be interested in knowing what is important to Christ?
Why not be interested in doing the things that Christ wants you to do?

I know you probably got the Lazyboy version of Christianity where not doing anything Christian is what is important.

Your fascination with false beliefs is not going to get you to Heaven but they can get you to Hell. Christ is not going ask you about the beer you drank or the cigar you smoked to the lottery, but He might ask you about the people you taught false beliefs to and the people you turned away from Christianity with your lies and their souls where lost. Do you think there is a designated level of Hell for that?

Of course it is not just your lies, these false beliefs and man-made sins have been stewing in Christianity for centuries…..skewing the truth and causing great sin and that is why God inspired me to start the ministry of the Johnny Appleseed of Truth to battle the agents of Satan that promote lies in Christianity.
Be good and do good.

Reactions: bluedragon

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People that promote false beliefs deceive…

You obviously do not know the Lord or the gospel according to holiness. Very sad.

Without holiness no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14)

1 Peter 1:13-17
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

If a person's heart is right before the Lord, they wouldn't be drinking alcohol, smoke cigarettes, smoking weed, doing coke, or anything thing that would make one intoxicated

They would abstaining from the appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

They would understand they have been bought with a price, they are not their own, and as such they would be glorifying the Lord in their body which belongs to God (1 Corinthians 6:20)

Those not understanding these foundational principles of being a Christian have been deceived and are no longer in right standing with the Lord and are in need of confession of their sin along with repentance.

After reading thru some of these replies, some here love themselves more than they love the Lord so they worship self which is idolatry. Hope to hear about some repentance, but that's not likely.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You obviously do not know the Lord or the gospel according to holiness. Very sad.

Without holiness no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14)

1 Peter 1:13-17
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

If a person's heart is right before the Lord, they wouldn't be drinking alcohol, smoke cigarettes, smoking weed, doing coke, or anything thing that would make one intoxicated

They would abstaining from the appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

They would understand they have been bought with a price, they are not their own, and as such they would be glorifying the Lord in their body which belongs to God (1 Corinthians 6:20)

Those not understanding these foundational principles of being a Christian have been deceived and are no longer in right standing with the Lord and are in need of confession of their sin along with repentance.

After reading thru some of these replies, some here love themselves more than they love the Lord so they worship self which is idolatry. Hope to hear about some repentance, but that's not likely.

LOL Welcome to my world….conversing with the ignorant. Good thing I can laugh at you!

I am an educated theologian and I am certainly not Bible only, I take the whole history of Christianity into consideration, not just the first 65 years.

But here there are a lot of people that would profess to be Bible only….but if you are going to profess to be Bible only wouldn’t it be good to know something about the Bible instead of just making it up as you go.

Ignorance is bliss? Why bother with the Bible if you are just going to live a fantasy? The man-made sins are a perfect example of people playing God. Just to have ammunition to condemn others and edify themselves….and Christ had something to say to them…

You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person's heart is right before the Lord, they wouldn't be … smoke cigarettes, … anything thing that would make one intoxicated
Smoking cigarettes is now intoxicating?

The prohibition is against drunkenness NOT consuming intoxicating liquids. Jesus disagrees with you.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smoking cigarettes is now intoxicating?

Yes, it actually is.

Go study the effects of cigarettes on the brain.

That's why it's so addictive because it's intoxicating

Only those that are not in right standing with the Lord would even think of smoking cigarettes

Galatians 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it actually is.

Go study the effects of cigarettes on the brain.

That's why it's so addictive because it's intoxicating

Only those that are not in right standing with the Lord would even think of smoking cigarettes

Galatians 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
1st, you are attempting to change the meaning of words.

2nd, and most important, it is not a sin according to the Bible - no matter how often your make your "if you were right with the Lord" shaming statement. Because I am right with the Lord, I drink with most suppers. Jesus drank on his last meal and told us to repeat it in rememberance of him, aka sacrament of communion.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wine in the bible simply means fruit of the vine and you cannot prove it is speaking of fermented wine unless it specifically says strong drink. He never told us to drink booze.

You like drinking the booze, I get it. - Enjoy the results of your decisions and understand others are not required to agree with you so there's no need in you getting upset and mad because someone has a different point of view than you do.

A lot of people these days think they can do a little sin and still be good with the Lord, but true Christians follow God's Word and glorify the Lord in their body abstaining from the appearance of evil.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So... What do we have these days? The beer belly with arms and legs covered with tattoos?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wine in the bible simply means fruit of the vine and you cannot prove it is speaking of fermented wine unless it specifically says strong drink. He never told us to drink booze.

You like drinking the booze, I get it. - Enjoy the results of your decisions and understand others are not required to agree with you so there's no need in you getting upset and mad because someone has a different point of view than you do.

A lot of people these days think they can do a little sin and still be good with the Lord, but true Christians follow God's Word and glorify the Lord in their body abstaining from the appearance of evil.

Grape juice does not last past the harvest......Wine is wine in a culture that definitely knew what wine was and strong drink was never defined or equated to wine in the scriptures. And true Christians do not lie about the scriptures and try to deceive people.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person's heart is right before the Lord, they wouldn't be drinking alcohol
100% wrong. If a person's heart is right before the Lord, they WOULD be drinking alcohol since Jesus commanded us to drink in remembrance of him AND Jesus' God commanded us to drink before him to rejoice.

and you may spend the money on whatever your soul desires, for cattle or for sheep or for wine or for beer, or for whatever your soul asks of you, and you are to eat there before Yahweh your God and you are to rejoice, you and your household.
Deuteronomy 14:26

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wine in the bible simply means fruit of the vine and you cannot prove it is speaking of fermented wine unless it specifically says strong drink.
So, Ephesians 5:18 tells us "not to get drunk with wine" because it is impossible since it is only fruit juice? :spring:

Wine is an alcoholic beverage, by definition. As I said, you are trying to change the meaning of words. And frankly, disrespecting the all knowing God of the universe by pretending he doesn't know the difference between wine and fruit juice.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The appearance of evil?

There is nothing evil about inanimate objects, like alchohol.

The Adversary knows Scripture and perverts it. Abstain from evil becomes abstain from the appearance of evil. You friend, are a deceiver.

Did God actually say ...
Satan, Genesis 3:1

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So... What do we have these days? The beer belly with arms and legs covered with tattoos?

Yeah, it's sad that some Christians look like a bunch of dirty foul mouthed bikers!

These are the free gracers that believe all their future sins are forgiven so they live in sin.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, it's sad that some Christians look like a bunch of dirty foul mouthed bikers!

These are the free gracers that believe all their future sins are forgiven so they live in sin.

Yikes.

This reminds me of

”Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”“
‭‭Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭9‬-‭14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

• Love
Reactions: Wrangler