Due to this verse made by Jesus there are many who do not believe that any of the OT saints will be

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Luke 7:29
28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
KJV

But when did Jesus say this? Wasn't it before he died? Yes it was... and what happened at his death?

Matt 27:50-54
0 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
KJV

This was the whole house of OT Israel whom came out of their graves in the earthquake just as prophesied in Ez.37. After the sin debt was paid they could now be resurrected and the Spirit of life was now available so that these OT saints could be born again yet they are devout Jews whom God said is the remnant of 7,000 reserved for Him and saved by grace as it is also written in:

1 Kings 19:18
18 Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
KJV
Rom 11:1-7
11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
KJV
They awaited Jesus' Day:

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
KJV
Luke 13:27-29
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
KJV
These 7,000 souls must be the same remnant of OT for you can not trade a soul for another soul.
And I am sure that John the Baptist who was Elijah too was resurrected that day.

Matt 11:12-15
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.
15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
KJV

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
Christ said that the old saints would be in the kingdom here in Matthew 8
11 And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.
Daniel was told that He would be there in the resurrection here in Daniel 12.
13 But you, go your way till the end; for you shall rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days."

Christ also gave it away that they were included here in John 10.
16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
afaithfulone4u said:
Matt 11:12-15
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.
15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
KJV
Elias?

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
Dodo_David said:
Elias is new testament name for Elijah.

1 Kings 19
9 And there he went into a cave, and spent the night in that place; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 10 So he said, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life."

Robertson

Jun 11, 2013
People often get confused with the term Elias because it is a proper name and also a title for a person who is a preparer, or a forerunner. Yes, there was a man named Elias. There was also an Elijah. And to confuse things somewhat more, there are times when Elias is the Greek form of Elijah.

The interpretation that Jesus was talking about Elijah in Matthew 11:12 -15 has to be incorrect because the concept of reincarnation is false doctrine. If you want to say Elijah was John the Baptist, you are referring to an idea that Elijah somehow was born again of a woman and was named John the Baptist. Obviously this is ridiculous. If Elijah was to come back, he would come back as himself, Elijah the prophet, not as some other being.

So then, this verse must be talking about the role and spirit of an Elias, which is a forerunner and preparer. John the Baptist, NOT ELIJAH, was the preparer and forerunner of Christ, as was prophesied. He taught repentance and baptized to prepare the hearts of the people for the Messiah. Then he had the privilege of baptizing the Messiah with his own hands... who else has had such a great privilege? A great prophet indeed!

As for Elijah, when he returns to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to the fathers, he will be called Elijah and will not be a reincarnated being. He will be as he was when he was taken to heaven.