Dwell In His Presence?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him." (Genesis 5:24)

This is not a condemning thread. I'm only looking for honest answers, and I will start with my own confession. Do you walk with God during the day, i.e. in your daily life? If so, how do you experience His Presence?

My primary means has always been through study and meditation of His word. He's had a habit of revealing things to me; revelations from His word that opened up great understanding to me, and shined light on additional passages of scripture, and expanded on truths He has already shown me. It is as if He is indeed talking to me on a personal level, and nothing excites me more.

The problem is, I go through seasons where I'm no longer into studying and meditation as much. During these seasons my time in the Presence of God suffers, so I am now trying to rededicate my life to making sure I walk with Him some every single day (haven't figured it out yet, but I am now trying).

So if you can, please share how you dwell in His Presence, and how you manage to maintain it.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden in Him

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i just posted this but if it will help great. i am just learning to practice the presence of God. also known as living in closeness with God.

i am looking for more information concerning this subject if you happen to run into any. i have only been learning about the presence of God for a month but i can already tell the difference and i am just starting. i can't wait to see what it is like when i reach the level of frank laubach or brother lawerence.

God bless

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him." (Genesis 5:24)

This is not a condemning thread. I'm only looking for honest answers, and I will start with my own confession. Do you walk with God during the day, i.e. in your daily life? If so, how do you experience His Presence?

My primary means has always been through study and meditation of His word. He's had a habit of revealing things to me; revelations from His word that opened up great understanding to me, and shined light on additional passages of scripture, and expanded on truths He has already shown me. It is as if He is indeed talking to me on a personal level, and nothing excites me more.

The problem is, I go through seasons where I'm no longer into studying and meditation as much. During these seasons my time in the Presence of God suffers, so I am now trying to rededicate my life to making sure I walk with Him some every single day (haven't figured it out yet, but I am now trying).

So if you can, please share how you dwell in His Presence, and how you manage to maintain it.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden in Him
Ahhh good post and good question.....I personally meditate on Him and enter His presence first through praise and worship. Once I am in His presence I just humble myself and listen as He speaks to me....But then there are times that I am driving down the road and I am mentally engaged in conversation with Him....I can engage in conversation with Him all day long but entering into His presence happens when I have done as I first said.....when I separate myself and enter into praising and worshiping Him and seeking His face.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sing probably 24/7. Praise and worship. Little songs here and there that help draw me into God's presence.
The Bible says He inhabits the praises of His people! So Praising Him and worshiping Him brings us into His presence for certain! AMEN!!! I praise Him continually!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i once heard of a guy who did praise and worship or listened to praise and worship almost 24/7. one day God spoke to him and told him to shut off the music and listen. when he did God asked what do you hear. the man was quiet for awhile before he replied only you Lord. the Lord replied that is because now you can hear me. the guy never really took time to listen to God before. now he makes sure that there is time set aside during his day to just hear what God has to say.

so be careful of never setting time aside to hear from God.

God bless

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i just posted this but if it will help great. i am just learning to practice the presence of God. also known as living in closeness with God.

i am looking for more information concerning this subject if you happen to run into any. i have only been learning about the presence of God for a month but i can already tell the difference and i am just starting. i can't wait to see what it is like when i reach the level of frank laubach or brother lawerence.

God bless

Thanks for the nice response. A two hour video may be more of a chunk than I was hoping to bite off, LoL, but I can try. I'll be listening as I respond to the other replies. I've already found an answer for my own situation in talking to my wife last night, so maybe that will help a little for your situation, although I acknowledge we are all different. My wife told me she experiences the Presence of God all the time, but especially during worship. I will also experience the Presence of God when I am on the altar as part of a worship team, but in my daily life it largely only comes through study and revelation.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahhh good post and good question.....I personally meditate on Him and enter His presence first through praise and worship. Once I am in His presence I just humble myself and listen as He speaks to me....But then there are times that I am driving down the road and I am mentally engaged in conversation with Him....I can engage in conversation with Him all day long but entering into His presence happens when I have done as I first said.....when I separate myself and enter into praising and worshiping Him and seeking His face.

Great answer. It reminds me that I do indeed hear Him speak during prayer sometimes. It never fails to quicken my spirit and my prayer. :)

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. '...please share how you dwell in His Presence, and how you manage to maintain it.' This is a 2 -parter
Everything everyone said above :]...plus, I realize profoundly the grooves that
are in the brain..(Dr. Caroline Leaf and all her brain research...seen on many TV Christian
interviews) We have 'ruts' like the ones wagon wheels will easily fall into....
Solution? :]
We make new 'ruts' or pathways.
For years, I made these positive, heavenly pathways so I am on auto pilot now.
i can't go but a few minutes feeling "not right''....without pausing, going to that secret place;
centering, expanding my mind's awareness to the Divine Presence.

I listen to only music of love...if about human romance, I substitute the thought of God in.
I read and think and type and talk about Him!
The desire for feeling connected HAS to be my primary, most imp desire....not being
resentful, mad, feeling shame or pride or laziness...the most imp thing for me
is to feel good or what I want to feel.
And what I want to feel is awareness of Him.

The Bhagavad Gita says: 'Perceive Me in every thought.'
(It gets down to that...if I, for some unknown reason feel 'off'...I talk to God ...that
'even this comes from You, Lord, for whatever reason...probably to show me how much
power You have given me to wave the feeling away, overcoming another obstacle.
You lead me to turn left when the directions on paper clearly say turn right...
You are directing me at every turn! Thank You.)

2....' how do you experience His Presence?'
Well....the usual words ...warmth in the chest, peace in mind and body, acute, heightened awareness as if in the woods at night and you hark to a twig snapped! Ha! Lol!
(often, breathless)....I could go on...but you get the jist.
...Awareness that the walls and the trees are alive with consciousness all around... ❤️

It has been like this mainly since Oct 2005 when suddenly listening to a Christian acoustic singer on Sunday 10:35 am when my room changed barometric pressure, and yet again...a bubble of supernatural tingling charged the air and for 5 hours I was taken to a place of huge
transcendence, as if the Doors of Perception were opened in my brain...everything alive, breathing...distant mountains, the leaves....I saw a red glass and he showed me
that HE made r-e-d...He created the spectrum of our colors here...n-o-t-h-i-n-g exists if not for Him.
My glass of juice....all Him...HE was the sun, HE was the soil, HE was the love
that made the orange in this very glass going into ME!

This was more special only because it lasted 5 solid hours of acute Grace.
That day I grit my teeth so to speak and told Him, 'This time I will never forget...THIS time..
I will NOT let this slip through my fingers and dissipate...This time I will NEVER forget."
THIS is the kind of desire and determination and commitment
I feel (at least I) I must have in the forefront of my mind at all times....so far so good!
notworthy.gif

All you see is HIM....God, the Divine Shape Shifter.

The Holy Spirit loves singing, yes.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I'm going to share with this group...a group that would not pass this thread but
be drawn to it's topic...pure enough in heart that there would be no
doubting or snarkiness;
a group that can take any morsel of inspiration from another and maybe use it one day.

There was one day when a light bulb went off in my head.
This feeling of endorphins one gets when they first fall in love?...This higher than a kite..intoxicated...bumping into
doors giddy one gets....Why....why does it only have to be when
we first fall head over heals in love, well mostly then.;]

If those endorphins are in my brain and I have the power to control my feelings...just
as a trained, disciplined Zen Monk might do if someone threatened his life
with a knife at his neck...why should I settle for any less of a feeling in my life ever again?
If I can heal myself through the Holy Spirit, heal others, manifest what I believe for consistently.
..Why ...why am i settling for a good everyday experience....when i could be in the clouds
in love, drunk with happiness cuz of just the awareness that this is the natural blissful state of the Universe.

So, I don't settle when my heart can soar...soar almost out of my chest ...just buying milk.
:)
We can be and feel anything we want to feel...that is our gift.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything everyone said above :]...plus, I realize profoundly the grooves that
are in the brain..(Dr. Caroline Leaf and all her brain research...seen on many TV Christian
interviews) We have 'ruts' like the ones wagon wheels will easily fall into....
Solution? :]
We make new 'ruts' or pathways.
For years, I made these positive, heavenly pathways so I am on auto pilot now.
i can't go but a few minutes feeling "not right''...

So sorry I neglected to read your responses this morning. This sounds like me in many ways, only a little more progressed. I've often told my wife that I need a certain amount of quiet and certain amount of solitude to be able to hear Him, or I start to get very unsettled. I can no longer here His leading. But I simply haven't developed the ability to set aside time yet for study on a daily basis, largely because I cannot be systematic about to. If I force it it will not be lead of the Spirit but mechanical. But I think what will happen is just an ever deeper sense that it must be priority #1 every day, and to place waiting for His leading as the focus from the time I get up until the time I go to sleep.
The Bhagavad Gita says: 'Perceive Me in every thought.'
(It gets down to that...if I, for some unknown reason feel 'off'...I talk to God ...that
'even this comes from You, Lord, for whatever reason...probably to show me how much
power You have given me to wave the feeling away, overcoming another obstacle.
You lead me to turn left when the directions on paper clearly say turn right...
You are directing me at every turn! Thank You.)

I like this as well.
Well....the usual words ...warmth in the chest, peace in mind and body, acute, heightened awareness as if in the woods at night and you hark to a twig snapped! Ha! Lol!
(often, breathless)....I could go on...but you get the jist.
...Awareness that the walls and the trees are alive with consciousness all around... ❤️

You sound a little Eastern in your spirituality, LoL. But I hold the principles at least to be similar to my above response.
It has been like this mainly since Oct 2005 when suddenly listening to a Christian acoustic singer on Sunday 10:35 am when my room changed barometric pressure, and yet again...a bubble of supernatural tingling charged the air and for 5 hours I was taken to a place of huge
transcendence, as if the Doors of Perception were opened in my brain...everything alive, breathing...distant mountains, the leaves....I saw a red glass and he showed me
that HE made r-e-d...He created the spectrum of our colors here...n-o-t-h-i-n-g exists if not for Him.
My glass of juice....all Him...HE was the sun, HE was the soil, HE was the love
that made the orange in this very glass going into ME!

This was more special only because it lasted 5 solid hours of acute Grace.
That day I grit my teeth so to speak and told Him, 'This time I will never forget...THIS time..
I will NOT let this slip through my fingers and dissipate...This time I will NEVER forget."
THIS is the kind of desire and determination and commitment
I feel (at least I) I must have in the forefront of my mind at all times....so far so good!
notworthy.gif

All you see is HIM....God, the Divine Shape Shifter.

The Holy Spirit loves singing, yes.

This sounds like quite the experience. I'm not familiar with everyone yet, Miss Hepburn. So if I may, how would you classify your spiritual orientation? It is a combination of things or predominantly one religion with a few things adopted from others? Thanks for the kind posts.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if I may, how would you classify your spiritual orientation?
It is a combination of things or predominantly one religion with a few things adopted from others? Thanks for the kind posts.
I just love God. ;] No labels for me...and I love people who love God and esp am drawn to those that know Him intimately, personally...like Jesus. ;]
You?
(Anyone that talks about Enoch and God's Presence is my kinda guy!)

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H in H...just throwing this out....when in the car...don't even start it till you have sat
for 2 min being silent and at peace, still, empty...empty cup.
At every stop light...eyes open, be still...empty...breath giving yourself
to the silence...where He is....no expectation. :]
Later move it to include every time you are brushing your teeth....later do it before you ever walk
in your front door, stop 1 solid minute...be still, calm, peaceful...emptying your thoughts
to be able to feeeel.
I know you can do it, my friend!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H in H...just throwing this out....when in the car...don't even start it till you have sat
for 2 min being silent and at peace, still, empty...empty cup.
At every stop light...eyes open, be still...empty...breath giving yourself
to the silence...where He is....no expectation. :]
Later move it to include every time you are brushing your teeth....later do it before you ever walk
in your front door, stop 1 solid minute...be still, calm, peaceful...emptying your thoughts
to be able to feeeel.
I know you can do it, my friend!

LOL. I might be able to do some of it. :) Not sure I'd ever go anything resembling full on transcendental, LoL, but I do pray a lot. With me, I live a pretty peaceful, unhectic lifestyle as it is, so I end up with a lot of prayer and reflection time. :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I had to define being in the Presence of God, I would say in awe, humbled, inspired, at peace, and amazed.

So I think what can help to step into that mindset is meditating on the attributes of God. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, omnipresent, merciful, just, all righteous, all sufficient, the beginning and the end. He is known as the Great Shepherd, the Lily of the Valley, the bright and morning Star. And God sent His only Son to die for us? I am amazed by Him. Yes, focusing on who God is and praising Him for that is an awesome way of coming into God's presence.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I think what can help to step into that mindset is meditating on the attributes of God. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, omnipresent, merciful, just, all righteous, all sufficient, the beginning and the end. He is known as the Great Shepherd, the Lily of the Valley, the bright and morning Star. And God sent His only Son to die for us? I am amazed by Him. Yes, focusing on who God is and praising Him for that is an awesome way of coming into God's presence.

Absolutely!! This right here is to me the heart of true worship, and I need to do more of this. Thanks for the great post, sister!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Sorry to have come to this a bit late in the day...but I have been unwell for a few days. I have come on here and read, but with no concentration enough to post.

Okay..for 'me' it took a while.
Long story short. I told the Lord one day (1982 )that I loved Him, and by His wonderful salvation through Jesus Christ , I knew He loved us.
I told Him that on my "good day" I am aware of His felt presence...but when I am not doing quite so good I don't have that same consciousness of His love.
This was over some days...
I had come to understand His Grace...( that took months. In the word and in my heart I could see it, and kind or knew it... But I fluctuated. A measure of the law still caused a hole in my bucket...ie "do good, get good...do bad, get bad." )
So one morning I lay there and said Lord, Your word says that you love me.
Often I can't feel it, often I don't know your Presence. So, By faith, I will lay here and say " Lord I know that you love me, regardless "
Next morning I did the same. I did not feel His presence, but I took it by faith. Then at the end of the week I did the same and said- " I cannot feel Your love or your presence but by faith I believe it."

That was it...I had an over whelming sense of God presence...I felt the love of God. ( we've all been in wonderful worship services or anointed prayer where God's Holy Spirit takes over and anoints. ) That is how it was.

Since that day I have always been conscious of the love and presence of God. ( not in that mighty anointed way..but a confident deep knowing..)
I'm never unaware of Him with me.
Well I lie..."red face".
I had surgery in '05 it was a perfect surgery ...and the surgeon said so.
Two days later everything "went sideways". I was angry at God and told Him so. ( I told Him that He abandoned me..blah blah blah.. I sulked.
I wouldn't speak to Him. Needless to say it took me a long time before I could repent of that.
I was stuck in hospital for 10 days because of that.
When we are "off with God" one of us has to speak first...and it wasn't Him. :) He just waited until my disappointment and sulk was over...and I was ready to talk :)

So..except for that period of time...I am always conscious of Him. He is always 'very there' for me.
It starts by faith, and becomes a reality.
This is just a peaceful, wonderful confident consciousness that I am talking about here.....which is different from the times that we are before Him and He lifts us up into the rapturous hight's.

Thats my story anyway. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says He inhabits the praises of His people! So Praising Him and worshiping Him brings us into His presence for certain! AMEN!!! I praise Him continually!
For sure! Pandora with all of my favorite Christian music is generally on everyday all day...and there is most definitely a change in atmosphere and mood when God is being worshiped in any way. I myself have been going through a bit of a dry patch concerning my morning devotions lately. I seem to want to jump on here to see what my brothers and sisters are doing. Their usually fighting and arguing, huh-just like siblings :D One day, there will be no need for that as we will see Him as He is! Won't that be nice? True unity! Amen.
Sorry to have come to this a bit late in the day...but I have been unwell for a few days. I have come on here and read, but with no concentration enough to post.

Okay..for 'me' it took a while.
Long story short. I told the Lord one day (1982 )that I loved Him, and by His wonderful salvation through Jesus Christ , I knew He loved us.
I told Him that on my "good day" I am aware of His felt presence...but when I am not doing quite so good I don't have that same consciousness of His love.
This was over some days...
I had come to understand His Grace...( that took months. In the word and in my heart I could see it, and kind or knew it... But I fluctuated. A measure of the law still caused a hole in my bucket...ie "do good, get good...do bad, get bad." )
So one morning I lay there and said Lord, Your word says that you love me.
Often I can't feel it, often I don't know your Presence. So, By faith, I will lay here and say " Lord I know that you love me, regardless "
Next morning I did the same. I did not feel His presence, but I took it by faith. Then at the end of the week I did the same and said- " I cannot feel Your love or your presence but by faith I believe it."

That was it...I had an over whelming sense of God presence...I felt the love of God. ( we've all been in wonderful worship services or anointed prayer where God's Holy Spirit takes over and anoints. ) That is how it was.

Since that day I have always been conscious of the love and presence of God. ( not in that mighty anointed way..but a confident deep knowing..)
I'm never unaware of Him with me.
Well I lie..."red face".
I had surgery in '05 it was a perfect surgery ...and the surgeon said so.
Two days later everything "went sideways". I was angry at God and told Him so. ( I told Him that He abandoned me..blah blah blah.. I sulked.
I wouldn't speak to Him. Needless to say it took me a long time before I could repent of that.
I was stuck in hospital for 10 days because of that.
When we are "off with God" one of us has to speak first...and it wasn't Him. :) He just waited until my disappointment and sulk was over...and I was ready to talk :)

So..except for that period of time...I am always conscious of Him. He is always 'very there' for me.
It starts by faith, and becomes a reality.
This is just a peaceful, wonderful confident consciousness that I am talking about here.....which is different from the times that we are before Him and He lifts us up into the rapturous hight's.

Thats my story anyway. :)
Great story! Uplifting and hopeful. Peaks and valleys-such is the instability of our "feelings" I too shall choose to believe it until I feel it! ♥