Earthquake in Los Angeles just now

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just felt three brief jolts and always pray it stops. They can be very scary when they get longer.

Just checked the earthquake tracker and it was in Malibu....4.1 magnitude.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. It was downgraded to a 3.8....but another one happened after that one that I didn't feel. It was a 2 point quake.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. It was downgraded to a 3.8....but another one happened after that one that I didn't feel. It was a 2 point quake.
We had like a 7 here in Seattle many years ago, I lived in an outlying area at the time and it made the walls wave in the house. Really scary.

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had like a 7 here in Seattle many years ago, I lived in an outlying area at the time and it made the walls wave in the house. Really scary.
Oh, Seattle.... wondered where you were.

They really are scary. The 6.7 we had in 1994 lasted about 35 seconds and caused a lot of damage including a freeway overpass collapsing. Also, an apartment building collapsed.

We were not the epicenter but big glass windows broke out at the office building by us. Also, chunks of stone came off of another building near us. A painting flew off our wall as I was running for the doorframe. It brushed by my leg.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They really are scary. The 6.7 we had in 1994 lasted about 35 seconds and caused a lot of damage including a freeway overpass collapsing. Also, an apartment building collapsed.

We were not the epicenter but big glass windows broke out at the office building by us. Also, chunks of stone came off of another building near us. A painting flew off our wall as I was running for the doorframe. It brushed by my leg.
Scary stuff for sure. I moved to california in 1999 so I missed it. Then when I was living down there Seattle had a big one. Then I moved back years later and kept missing the earthquakes (knock on wood).

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Standard procedure in California, I was driving around a corner on a neighborhood street when a like 6.2 in Whittier hit, felt like my wheels were falling off the truck, really weird feeling

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Tokyo, it was everyday. We got to the point, we would wake from our sleep, reach out and hold the lamp so it would not fall from the end table. One afternoon, we were shaking, looked behind us and watched what looked like waves roll across the yard.

• Wow
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Nancy

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just felt three brief jolts and always pray it stops. They can be very scary when they get longer.

That's pretty high on the R scale isn't it? Pray safe.

Reactions: Nancy

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

We had a 4.6 magnitude earthquake in Victoria, Australia last week and a small 2.5 a couple of days ago.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That must be very frightening! The earth moving under your feet. I hope nobody was hurt. Where does one go for shelter from an earthquake??

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Tokyo, it was everyday. We got to the point, we would wake from our sleep, reach out and hold the lamp so it would not fall from the end table. One afternoon, we were shaking, looked behind us and watched what looked like waves roll across the yard.
The tsunami from a few years ago was mind boggling!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That must be very frightening! The earth moving under your feet. I hope nobody was hurt. Where does one go for shelter from an earthquake??
Since it was only a 3.8 quake, no damage.

They used to tell us to get under a doorframe. But now I think they say to get under the table.

Being a senior citizen, it would take me quite awhile to try to get under the table! Then trying to get back up is also hard!

Most of the times they are very brief, thank God. I always pray "Jesus" out loud when they happen.

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. When we had the big one in 1994, (6.7, lasted 35 seconds and did a lot of damage)....the Hispanic people on a street nearby all set up sheets as tents. They lived in those sheet tents for a week.

The apartment buildings on their street were older. But they kept standing. In their home countries, I think the houses collapse.

In the epicenter, a freeway overpass did collapse, as well as an apartment building.

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since it was only a 3.8 quake, no damage.

They used to tell us to get under a doorframe. But now I think they say to get under the table.

Being a senior citizen, it would take me quite awhile to try to get under the table! Then trying to get back up is also hard!

Most of the times they are very brief, thank God. I always pray "Jesus" out loud when they happen.
I have to wonder how getting under a table would help. And I hear you, getting down is much easier than getting back up, haha!
Glad you are safe.

Reactions: Debp and dev553344

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have to wonder how getting under a table would help. And I hear you, getting down is much easier than getting back up, haha!
Glad you are safe.
I think it acts like a shield from falling objects, not sure whether a door frame would help much though, as it does not provide much protection.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it acts like a shield from falling objects, not sure whether a door frame would help much though, as it does not provide much protection.
I suppose it could protect from lighter things yet, if a ceiling fell in and landed on the table, the table one would think, would come crashing down too. I think the ground itself is something you cannot get away from, yikes! Safest place then, would be a plane! Or, hanging from a star:Hanging:. :Broadly:

Reactions: Debp and dev553344

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 46
1 God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

Reactions: Debp

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I suppose it could protect from lighter things yet, if a ceiling fell in and landed on the table, the table one would think, would come crashing down too. I think the ground itself is something you cannot get away from, yikes! Safest place then, would be a plane! Or, hanging from a star:Hanging:. :Broadly:
Depends on how good the table is haha and hopefully it's not a glass table, but I think in most cases wooden tables are a pretty good defense, so long as it's not bricks and concrete crashing down onto it, it should be able to take most common household objects and plasterboard ceilings landing on it. imo.

Don't think you can beat being in a plane or helicopter during an earthquake though.

• Haha
Reactions: Debp and Nancy