Easter ? What are we celebrating?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OSAS gives such people (those who keep on living a carnal life, but who think they are saved) a false assurance.

I think that we are both in agreement that if someone lives a carnal life after making a profession, they are not really saved.

However, OSAS might tell them that they are indeed saved and that they can continue to live a carnal life and still be saved.

That is up to God if they are Saved or not. But the Bible makes it clear those working for salvation are not saved.

By their works they will be known.

OSAS does not tell people if they are saved or not. It says if you are saved you will not lose it and that salvation is followed by the works of salvation. No such thing as works for salvation

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is up to God if they are Saved or not. But the Bible makes it clear those working for salvation are not saved.

By their works they will be known.

OSAS does not tell people if they are saved or not. It says if you are saved you will not lose it and that salvation is followed by the works of salvation. No such thing as works for salvation

Heb 4:9, There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10, For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11, Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
Heb 4:12, For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 4:9, There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10, For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11, Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
Heb 4:12, For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Talk about taking something out of context.

Hebrews 4:9-12
9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;
10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.
11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of a sudden I am just wondering what is Easter and what are we celebrating ?

Man's word or is it what in the bible ....... GOD's word !

Remember what took place at the Mountain! Aaron and the people of God declared a Feast to God, using Egyptian god rituals and said tomorrow is a feast to the Lord, and He was going to roast them all. Let My wrath Wax Hot against them. and then Moses intervened. Do not learn how they worship, do not learn who they practice their way's to serve their gods, and do the same and say you are doing these things to Worship Me. For all that they do is an Abomination to Me.!!!

Reactions: CoreIssue

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Remember what took place at the Mountain! Aaron and the people of God declared a Feast to God, using Egyptian god rituals and said tomorrow is a feast to the Lord, and He was going to roast them all. Let My wrath Wax Hot against them. and then Moses intervened. Do not learn how they worship, do not learn who they practice their way's to serve their gods, and do the same and say you are doing these things to Worship Me. For all that they do is an Abomination to Me.!!!

Good to see you again my friend. I hope you are doing well. I have so often prayed for you.
Good post. My favourite part is when God ‘says’ that He will destroy Israel because He fed up with their unbelief ( yet I think it was a test on Moses, to see what he as their shepherd would do)
Moses was a true shepherded , and ready to let down his own life.

He tells God “Blot me out of your book instead”...And also....”If Thy presence go not with us, then take us not up thence.”
1) Moses loved the people, bad as they were.
2) He knew life was not worth living , without the Presence of God.

We are under the same test...How much do we love God, and how much do we love the brethren.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its the pagan celebration of ishtar.. fertility god... eggs, bunnies.. (sigh)
YAHushua/Jesus was our passover
Good grief - not THIS nonsense again.
EVERY year, it's the same thing . . .

First of all - "Easter" is NOT of "pagan" origin. Only ignorant people who believe that the entire world speaks ENGLISH would make up an asinine argument like this "Ishtar/Easter" nonsense.

NOT all Christians refer to the Feast of the Resurrection "Easter". Byzantine Christians use the Greek term Pascha, a transliteration of the Hebrew word Pesach, or Passover. Pascha is also the name of this feast in Latin, the official language of the Roman Rite. The Romance languages reflect this usage; the Italian word Pasqua, the French Paques and the Spanish Pascua each derive from Pascha, and ultimately from Pesach.

Some philologists (historical linguists) say that Easter comes from the word "east", referring to the rising of the sun, a metaphor for the Resurrection of Christ (see Malachi 4:2).

The Dictionary of Bible and Religion indicates another possible origin:
"Recent studies seem to indicate that Easter may be derived from the Latin phrase hebdomada alba, the old term for Easter week based upon the wearing of white robes by the newly baptized. The octave of Easter, the following week, was known as post albas, the time when the white robes were put away....Easter may thus mean "white" and be named from early Christian baptismal practices."
{"Easter", The Dictionary of Bible and Religion, (Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1986) 287}

As for Easter eggs being some "pagan fertility" symbol - again, this is based on an abject ignorance of Church history.

In the early centuries of the Church, during Lent - the 40 days prior to Easter Sunday - fasting and abstinence were MUCH more rigorous than today. ALL dairy product and eggs were to be avoided during this period. On Easter, eggs were colored Red, which is the traditional Liturgical color of the Lent and Pentecost.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with fertility goddesses . . .

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good grief - not THIS nonsense again.
EVERY year, it's the same thing . . .

First of all - "Easter" is NOT of "pagan" origin. Only ignorant people who believe that the entire world speaks ENGLISH would make up an asinine argument like this "Ishtar/Easter" nonsense.

NOT all Christians refer to the Feast of the Resurrection "Easter". Byzantine Christians use the Greek term Pascha, a transliteration of the Hebrew word Pesach, or Passover. Pascha is also the name of this feast in Latin, the official language of the Roman Rite. The Romance languages reflect this usage; the Italian word Pasqua, the French Paques and the Spanish Pascua each derive from Pascha, and ultimately from Pesach.

Some philologists (historical linguists) say that Easter comes from the word "east", referring to the rising of the sun, a metaphor for the Resurrection of Christ (see Malachi 4:2).

The Dictionary of Bible and Religion indicates another possible origin:
"Recent studies seem to indicate that Easter may be derived from the Latin phrase hebdomada alba, the old term for Easter week based upon the wearing of white robes by the newly baptized. The octave of Easter, the following week, was known as post albas, the time when the white robes were put away....Easter may thus mean "white" and be named from early Christian baptismal practices."
{"Easter", The Dictionary of Bible and Religion, (Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1986) 287}

As for Easter eggs being some "pagan fertility" symbol - again, this is based on an abject ignorance of Church history.

In the early centuries of the Church, during Lent - the 40 days prior to Easter Sunday - fasting and abstinence were MUCH more rigorous than today. ALL dairy product and eggs were to be avoided during this period. On Easter, eggs were colored Red, which is the traditional Liturgical color of the Lent and Pentecost.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with fertility goddesses . . .

The simple fact is at that time Passover was Passover. Nothing to do with Easter or whatever name you want call.

In fact it didn't Easter did not exist at the time.

Easter is in fact the Catholic Church absorbing the worship of Ishtar to bring those people into the Catholic Church.

Same with Christmas and some other holidays.

Same with the holidays unique to South America. They are ancient Mayan and Inca worship given a Catholic cloak.

Anybody is that the actual history knows the facts.

But someone who only studies Catholic history is totally brainwashed.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore to translate "pascha" in Acts 12:4 as "Easter" is not inaccurate.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore to translate "pascha" in Acts 12:4 as "Easter" is not inaccurate.
It was a judgement call on the part of the KJV translators.
The Latin languages ALL derive their versions for the word for the "Resurrection of our Lord" from "Pascha".

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The simple fact is at that time Passover was Passover. Nothing to do with Easter or whatever name you want call.
*In fact it didn't Easter did not exist at the time.
Easter is in fact the Catholic Church absorbing the worship of Ishtar to bring those people into the Catholic Church.

Same with Christmas and some other holidays.

Same with the holidays unique to South America. They are ancient Mayan and Inca worship given a Catholic cloak.
*Anybody is that the actual history knows the facts.
But someone who only studies Catholic history is totally brainwashed.
And once again - this is simply nonsense generated by ignorant English-speaking people who insist that everybody in History spoke English.

*PS - You might want to go back and rewrite some of those nonsensical sentences . . .

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And once again - this is simply nonsense generated by ignorant English-speaking people who insist that everybody in History spoke English.

*PS - You might want to go back and rewrite some of those nonsensical sentences . . .

So you're saying Easter existed before Christ was resurrected?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Passover and Easter are two completely different things.
However, when referring to a timetable, saying Easter does not give a different message than does saying Passover. And the point I would make about Acts 12:4 is that it is referring to a timetable.

However, if it is accurate by the Holy Spirit, I find that it presents an interesting pov...that the disciples celebrated the resurrection of our Lord early on after the whole thing went down. And that, to me, qualifies as a gold nugget of scriptural truth.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, when referring to a timetable, saying Easter does not give a different message than does saying Passover. And the point I would make about Acts 12:4 is that it is referring to a timetable.

However, if it is accurate by the Holy Spirit, I find that it presents an interesting pov...that the disciples celebrated the resurrection of our Lord early on after the whole thing went down. And that, to me, qualifies as a gold nugget of scriptural truth.

Your problem remains Easter didn't exist at that time. So it does not belong in the Bible when the true subject is Passover.

It changes the Bible

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might be interested to know that sounding technology existed at the time of the writing of the book of Acts. See Acts of the Apostles 27:27-28.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know it didn't? Were you walking around in the 1st Century A.D.?

Easter was a Catholic invention. Catholicism didn't exist until 335 ad. | Further, this was the old testament Jewish holy day of Passover.

They did not accept Christ as Messiah and still do not today.

You have zero chance of proving Easter was ever in the Bible.