1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Easter ? What are we celebrating?

Discussion in 'Christian Theology Forum' started by Grams, Oct 28, 2018.

1. justbyfaith

justbyfaith Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You only think you grew in Christ. What really happened is that you accepted Universalism as a doctrine, as well as the concept completely contrary to that, that everyone in the Universe will be condemned; for these things are what the NIV teaches in different places. (At least, these are the impressions that I have gotten when reading certain passages in the NIV). The difference in the rendering of Ephesians 4:6 is only one case in point.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. Taken

Taken Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Personally, I like eggs, bunnies, and what are fertility rites?

No, I do not have to explain something I never said was not good enough.

Passover appears over 90 times in my Bible.

And?

3. Truth

Truth Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yes Indeed He knows your Heart! If God declared something to be an Abomination ? and we are observing a Tradition derived from a form of Pagan Worship, what does that say about the depth of one's Heart! Are we truly sold out to the Savior, or are we just keeping Tradition for Tradition's Sake!!
    Jeremiah 16: 19
    O Lord my strength and my fortress,
    My refuge in the day of affliction
    The gentiles shall come to You From the ends of the Earth, and Say
    "Surly our Fathers have Inherited Lies. Worthlessness and unprofitable [things]"
    Will a man make gods for himself, which are not gods?
    One should be careful of the Tradition's we observe!

4. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Absolutely! No, I completely agree. I just said it was a poor translation, but yes, I believe the way the poor translation came about is that they picked a word that would support what the State Church wanted. Like they did in a few other places. Very unfortunate!

Much love!
    Mark

CoreIssue likes this.
  5. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That's works, not faith.

Faith is believing in Jesus for salvation. What we do after that is for reward.

It seems that there are few that rest in faith.

Much love!
    mark

6. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Where does it say KJV in that verse?

In your logic is the NWT also Bible?

7. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Then explain apostasy in church today.

8. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It isn't the 1611 KJV that you brag about. Nor is it modern English.

9. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So your Calvinism reveals itself.

10. Taken

Taken Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Passover was/is for the Jews.
    It was a Gift to the Jews, for the Jews, and for them to keep in Remembrance.

Jesus died and arose during a time Jews were preparing and celebrating and remembering their Passover.

The first followers of Christ, WERE Jews.
    They Remembered their Passover AND Believed in their Lord's death and resurrection.

The Lord DID NOT instruct anyone to REMEMBER A DAY of His Death or A DAY of His resurrection.

The Lord DID instruct Believers to REMEMBER "HIM".

Typical Saved and Born Again men Remember the Lord, His Death, His Resurrection, ON a mutual DAY, while such individuals are not "gathered together" in ONE place, are Spiritually "gathered together" in ONE Conversion and Remembering their Lord God, together in ONE celebration of His Death and Resurrection.

The Term EASTER has numerous meanings, and origins from over the course of history.

Gentiles Saved and Born again Converted men have landed on the term EASTER as a particular DAY, "they" remember and celebrate their Lords resurrection.

Their celebration has Nothing to do with the meaning of the Gift of the Lords Passover of Death, during the Jews Bondage in Egypt.

Glory to God,
    Taken

CoreIssue likes this.
  11. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Absolutely not.

So?

The only tenet of Calvinism that I believe in is the P in TULIP. And even with that, it is not OSAS but POTS that I adhere to.

marks likes this.
  12. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It's scripture; let the chips fall where they may doctrinally.

Heb 4:9, There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
    Heb 4:10, For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
    Heb 4:11, Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

13. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That's a good distinction!

Much love!

14. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So Saints have to work for salvation.

Total justification doesn't exist. Therefore you keep nailing Christ across over and over every time you sin.

15. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion...

We are kept by the power of God through faith, 1 Peter 1:5.

16. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Then you should have no problem with OSAS since the premise is we are saved by faith in the grace of Christ that will change us so we never want to leave.

But when you believe one can leave salvation it does become a work because it requires constant monitoring and work to maintain it.

17. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I do believe that the Lord promises that if we do His will we will abide for ever...and that if we abide in Him we will not sin. (1 John 2:17, 1 John 3:6).

As for whether that takes work or effort, I think is something that we learn by experience once we come to the place of walking in consistent grace.

There is a sense in which we are tried by fire and in which we must resist temptation. Is this work?

When heat is applied to the metal, is the metal "working" when the impurities rise to the top, and/or is it "working" when the metal holds to its nature and no impurities rise to the top, but it shows itself to be a pure metal?

Is a branch in a vine "working" when it begins to bear fruit?

Now the problem that I have with OSAS is the concept that a person can raise their hand in church or at a Crusade and then go and live like hell for the rest of their lives; but OSAS doctrine would tell them that they were saved and that it doesn't matter how well they live after that.

In the POTS that I hold to, the emphasis is on the word "saints". If a man is born again, he begins to live a holy life consistent with the fact that he is now a saint. He will persevere in that holiness because he has been sealed by the Holy Spirit and the Spirit is an influence on his behaviour from the point of conversion forward.

18. CoreIssue

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Your problem is Bible says salvation is not by works.

First of all, where did you get the idea must occur at a gathering?

Second, where did you get the idea when one is saved they just keep on living a carnal life? If one those that they were never saved. With a new mind, new heart and cleanse spirit how could they.

Per Romans 8 God knows who love and he predestined them all the way to glorification. Nothing in the universe can take them from his hand.

This nonsense does not include the person themselves stupid. The person is part of the universe. There is no exception clause.

Also those who believe in conditional salvation usually always say that applies to someone else, not them. So they are practicing OSAS.

The fruit of being born again is good works. Not by law but by desire.

19. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    OSAS gives such people (those who keep on living a carnal life, but who think they are saved) a false assurance.

I think that we are both in agreement that if someone lives a carnal life after making a profession, they are not really saved.

However, OSAS might tell them that they are indeed saved and that they can continue to live a carnal life and still be saved.

20. justbyfaith

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That salvation is not of works does not mean that everyone who is truly born again will not be obedient.

Rom 6:16, Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 6:16, Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?