Easter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
As to which day Christ was crucified, we both agree on. My statement was confined to your understanding of when Christ rode the ass into Jerusalem. I said it occurred during the twilight period on the Saturday night our time, which you have said is wrong.. Perhaps it is you that needs to apologise. or are you lays this angry?

I did not ask you to apologise; i never expect anybody to apologise to me. I asked you to be consistent and responsible. You said I was wrong about which day of the week Jesus died and that my <scholarship is a little flawed>. Now it turns out we believe the same day. Whose scholarship is now a little flawed? I refuse, nothing of what I wrote was flawed in contrast with everything you wrote which was and is completely flawed, the agreement on one day not even without agreement in the least, my payed pettifogger pastoortjie.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Gerhard please be respectful of others and other peoples opinions on the scriptures. You are being very agressive in how you are expressing your opinions and that is a turn off for many and a good enough reason to ignore you.

At this point in time, we seem to agree on the Thursday, but have differing opinions as to when the ass was used on the Sunday, with respect to the Jewish timeframe.

Now can you simply drop your aggression towards others.

Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn

Anyone wants to be nasty?
I am nastier.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The original Easter occurred on the first day of the Jews' week. (Matt 28:1,
Mark 16:1-2, and John 20:1)

However, the first day of the Jews' week isn't the anchor for Jesus'
resurrection. The real anchor is whatever night of the week that the paschal
lamb is eaten, and the date for that night floats on the civil calendar, i.e. it
isn't fixed like Christmas and birthdays.

The paschal dinner is always eaten at night; viz: after the sun goes down--
all the way down. This year's night for the dinner will commence after
sundown on Friday April 19 which means that Jesus would die on the cross
the afternoon of that same day because his death occurred during the
afternoon of the day that the Jews were preparing for their paschal lamb
dinner. (John 18:28, John 19:14)

So if we begin counting the three days that Jesus predicted in John 2:19
with sunrise April 20; then Easter this year would take place after sunrise on
April 22; in other words: Easter would take place on a Monday this year
instead of Sunday.

The three nights that Jesus predicted in Matt 12:40 are counted by
beginning with the night of the paschal dinner. Seeing as it's scheduled to
begin after sundown April 19, then that night becomes the first night; and
the third night would then begin after sundown April 21.
_

The word Easter comes from the name of a pagan goddess of fertility, "Ishtar". Easter eggs and bunny rabbits have nothing to do with my Lord Jesus Christ but they have everything to do with fertility. The scriptures are talking about the Passover, it has nothing to do with fertility so has nothing to do with Easter eggs or bunny rabbits.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jay Ross, you were nasty and insulting, but still expect me to apologise to you?

Christiaan, I am not posting your comments on Facebook like you have been doing with my posts in response to posted comments.

I have not taken your comments and posted them into another internet package like Facebook.

But not only have you posted my comments but you have also posted other people comments.

That takes a hide to do.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Christiaan, I am not posting your comments on Facebook like you have been doing with my posts in response to posted comments.

I have not taken your comments and posted them into another internet package like Facebook.

But not only have you posted my comments but you have also posted other people comments.

That takes a hide to do.

Your excuse then?

Now watch this on FB everyone!

Thank God for Facebook
Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
he word Easter comes from the name of a pagan goddess of fertility, "Ishtar". Easter eggs and bunny rabbits have nothing to do with my Lord Jesus Christ but they have everything to do with fertility. The scriptures are talking about the Passover, it has nothing to do with fertility so has nothing to do with Easter eggs or bunny rabbits.
One very old short wave radio playing on two wave-lengths through each other as we say in my taal.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi BoL,

Can you explain to me the difference? Sincere question, seeking simple answer.

Much love!
Mark
Sure.
"Roman" simply refers to the Liturgical Rite.

There are TWENTY Liturgical Rites that comprise "The Catholic Church", which are largely ethnically cultural. The "Roman/Latin" Rite is ONE of them. Others include the Coptic, Melkite, Maronite, Ruthenian, Alexandrian, Byzantine, and so on. They are ALL in communion with one another and comprise the ONE Catholic Church.

The official name of the Catholic Church with Bishop of Rome (aka, the "Pope") as its earthly head is . . . "The Catholic Church."

When you see a sign outside a Catholic Church that reads "St. John's Roman Catholic Church" - it is letting Catholics know that this is a Catholic Church is the Roman/Latin Rite. When you see a Church that says "St. John's Maronite Catholic Church" - it is also referring to the Rite.

Hope that helps.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word Easter comes from the name of a pagan goddess of fertility, "Ishtar". Easter eggs and bunny rabbits have nothing to do with my Lord Jesus Christ but they have everything to do with fertility. The scriptures are talking about the Passover, it has nothing to do with fertility so has nothing to do with Easter eggs or bunny rabbits.
Only to the ignorant.
I have destroyed this myth on several threads, so why not this one as well . . .

"Easter" is NOT of "pagan" origin. Only ignorant people who believe that the entire world speaks ENGLISH would make up an asinine argument like this "Ishtar/Easter" nonsense.

NOT all Christians refer to the Feast of the Resurrection "Easter". Byzantine Christians use the Greek term Pascha, a transliteration of the Hebrew word Pesach, or Passover. Pascha is also the name of this feast in Latin, the official language of the Roman Rite. The Romance languages reflect this usage; the Italian word Pasqua, the French Paques and the Spanish Pascua each derive from Pascha, and ultimately from Pesach.

Some philologists (historical linguists) say that Easter comes from the word "east", referring to the rising of the sun, a metaphor for the Resurrection of Christ (see Malachi 4:2).

The Dictionary of Bible and Religion indicates another possible origin:
"Recent studies seem to indicate that Easter may be derived from the Latin phrase hebdomada alba, the old term for Easter week based upon the wearing of white robes by the newly baptized. The octave of Easter, the following week, was known as post albas, the time when the white robes were put away....Easter may thus mean "white" and be named from early Christian baptismal practices."
{"Easter", The Dictionary of Bible and Religion, (Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1986) 287}

As for Easter eggs being some "pagan fertility" symbol - again, this is based on an abject ignorance of Church history.

In the early centuries of the Church, during Lent - the 40 days prior to Easter Sunday - fasting and abstinence were MUCH more rigorous than today. ALL dairy product and eggs were to be avoided during this period. On Easter, eggs were colored RED, which is the traditional Liturgical color of the Lent and Pentecost.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with fertility goddesses . . .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure.
"Roman" simply refers to the Liturgical Rite.

There are TWENTY Liturgical Rites that comprise "The Catholic Church", which are largely ethnically cultural. The "Roman/Latin" Rite is ONE of them. Others include the Coptic, Melkite, Maronite, Ruthenian, Alexandrian, Byzantine, and so on. They are ALL in communion with one another and comprise the ONE Catholic Church.

The official name of the Catholic Church with Bishop of Rome (aka, the "Pope") as its earthly head is . . . "The Catholic Church."

When you see a sign outside a Catholic Church that reads "St. John's Roman Catholic Church" - it is letting Catholics know that this is a Catholic Church is the Roman/Latin Rite. When you see a Church that says "St. John's Maronite Catholic Church" - it is also referring to the Rite.

Hope that helps.

That helps very much! Thank you!! Now I understand. I never did.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: BreadOfLife

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The origin of Easter dates back to ancient times, not long after the global Flood recorded in Genesis 6-9 of the Bible. Nimrod, a grandson of Noah, had turned from following his grandfather's God and had become a tyrannical ruler. According to the biblical record, as king, Nimrod created Babel, Ninevah, Asshur, Calla and other cities, all known for lifestyles that promoted unspeakable evil and perversion. When Nimrod died, his wife, Queen Semiramis, deified him as the Sun-god, or Life Giver. Later he would become known as Baal, and those who followed the religion Semiramis created in his name would be called Baal worshippers. They became associated with idolatry, demon worship, human sacrifice and other practices regarded as evil.

The origin of Easter involves the birth of Semiramis' illegitimate son, Tammuz. Somehow, Semiramis convinced the people that Tammuz was actually Nimrod reborn. Since people had been looking for the promised savior since the beginning of mankind (see Genesis 3:15), they were persuaded by Semiramis to believe that Tammuz was that savior, even that he had been supernaturally conceived. Before long, in addition to worshiping Tammuz (or Nimrod reborn), the people also worshiped Semiramis herself as the goddess of fertility. In other cultures, she has been called Ishtar, Ashtur and yes, Easter.

The origin of Easter goes back to the springtime ritual instituted by Semiramis following the death of Tammuz, who, according to tradition, was killed by a wild boar. Legend has it that through the power of his mother's tears, Tammuz was "resurrected" in the form of the new vegetation that appeared on the earth.

According to the Bible, it was in the city of Babel that the people created a tower in order to defy God. Up until that time, all the people on the earth spoke one language. The building of the tower led God, as recorded in Genesis 11:7, to confuse their tongues to keep them from being further unified in their false beliefs. As the people moved into other lands, many of them took their pagan practices with them.

Contemporary traditions such as the Easter Bunny and the Easter egg can also be traced back to the practices established by Semiramis. Because of their prolific nature, rabbits have long been associated with fertility and its goddess, Ishtar. Ancient Babylonians believed in a fable about an egg that fell into the Euphrates River from heaven and from which Queen Astarte (another name for Ishtar or Semiramis) was "hatched."

Origin of Easter - Resurrection Day for Christians
For Christians, the origin of Easter is simply the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ about 2,000 years ago. According to the Gospel accounts, Jesus Christ, the true Messiah promised in the Old Testament, was crucified and resurrected at the time of the Jewish Passover. Since that awesome event took place, those who believe Christ is their Messiah have honored that day and often celebrated it with the traditional Passover. As the Gospel of Christ spread throughout non-jewish nations, among people who did not have a history of celebrating the Passover, the pagan rites of Easter gradually became assimilated into what the Christian church called "Resurrection Day." Compromising the commandments of God with the comfort of the world is as old as the nation of Israel itself. Actually, American history teaches us that Easter was dismissed as a pagan holiday by the nation's founding Puritans and did not begin to be widely observed until just after the Civil War. Those interested in a Christian view of American history and the gradual compromise of America's Biblical foundations may wish to read books such as The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and David Manuel.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The origin of Easter dates back to ancient times, not long after the global Flood recorded in Genesis 6-9 of the Bible. Nimrod, a grandson of Noah, had turned from following his grandfather's God and had become a tyrannical ruler. According to the biblical record, as king, Nimrod created Babel, Ninevah, Asshur, Calla and other cities, all known for lifestyles that promoted unspeakable evil and perversion. When Nimrod died, his wife, Queen Semiramis, deified him as the Sun-god, or Life Giver. Later he would become known as Baal, and those who followed the religion Semiramis created in his name would be called Baal worshippers. They became associated with idolatry, demon worship, human sacrifice and other practices regarded as evil.

The origin of Easter involves the birth of Semiramis' illegitimate son, Tammuz. Somehow, Semiramis convinced the people that Tammuz was actually Nimrod reborn. Since people had been looking for the promised savior since the beginning of mankind (see Genesis 3:15), they were persuaded by Semiramis to believe that Tammuz was that savior, even that he had been supernaturally conceived. Before long, in addition to worshiping Tammuz (or Nimrod reborn), the people also worshiped Semiramis herself as the goddess of fertility. In other cultures, she has been called Ishtar, Ashtur and yes, Easter.

The origin of Easter goes back to the springtime ritual instituted by Semiramis following the death of Tammuz, who, according to tradition, was killed by a wild boar. Legend has it that through the power of his mother's tears, Tammuz was "resurrected" in the form of the new vegetation that appeared on the earth.

According to the Bible, it was in the city of Babel that the people created a tower in order to defy God. Up until that time, all the people on the earth spoke one language. The building of the tower led God, as recorded in Genesis 11:7, to confuse their tongues to keep them from being further unified in their false beliefs. As the people moved into other lands, many of them took their pagan practices with them.

Contemporary traditions such as the Easter Bunny and the Easter egg can also be traced back to the practices established by Semiramis. Because of their prolific nature, rabbits have long been associated with fertility and its goddess, Ishtar. Ancient Babylonians believed in a fable about an egg that fell into the Euphrates River from heaven and from which Queen Astarte (another name for Ishtar or Semiramis) was "hatched."

Origin of Easter - Resurrection Day for Christians
For Christians, the origin of Easter is simply the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ about 2,000 years ago. According to the Gospel accounts, Jesus Christ, the true Messiah promised in the Old Testament, was crucified and resurrected at the time of the Jewish Passover. Since that awesome event took place, those who believe Christ is their Messiah have honored that day and often celebrated it with the traditional Passover. As the Gospel of Christ spread throughout non-jewish nations, among people who did not have a history of celebrating the Passover, the pagan rites of Easter gradually became assimilated into what the Christian church called "Resurrection Day." Compromising the commandments of God with the comfort of the world is as old as the nation of Israel itself. Actually, American history teaches us that Easter was dismissed as a pagan holiday by the nation's founding Puritans and did not begin to be widely observed until just after the Civil War. Those interested in a Christian view of American history and the gradual compromise of America's Biblical foundations may wish to read books such as The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and David Manuel.
NONSENSE.

I obliterated this manure in post #170 but you refuse to address it.
Instead, you have doubled-down on your phony Alexander Hislop nonsense disguised as legitimate "history".

MOST of this tripe came from the pen of 19th century anti-Catholic Alexander Hislop, in his book, The Two Babylons. Scholar after scholar has debunked Hislop's shoddy research. One of his adherent, Ralph woodrow was so convinced by Hislop's garbage that he wrote his own boook on the subject, The Baby;lon connection?
HOWEVER - after doing some actual research of his own for a follow-up book, Woodrow discovered to his horror that Hislop was a fraud and had invented 99% of this garbage. Woodrow now runs a website apologizing for his book, which he pulled OUT of print.

As I educated you back in post #170 - your position is based on the fallacy that EVERYBODY in history spoke English.

MOST cultures don't call Easter "Easter". As I pointed out - Byzantine Christians use the Greek term "Pascha", a transliteration of the Hebrew word "Pesach", or Passover. "Pascha" is also the name of this feast in Latin, the official language of the Roman Rite. The Romance languages reflect this usage; the Italian word "Pasqua", the French "Paques" and the Spanish "Pascua each derive from "Pascha, and ultimately from "Pesach".

You need to put down your Jack Chick tracts and do some actual homework on the subject before embarrassing yourself any further . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd just as soon that my church didn't call a day "Easter".

Much love!
mark
If you're NOT calling it "Easter" because of some paranoia about Sumerian sun gods or fertility goddesses - then I suggest you rethink it.

Christ's Church is ONE and is supposed to be ONE in everything - including what it celebrates.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're NOT calling it "Easter" because of some paranoia about Sumerian sun gods or fertility goddesses - then I suggest you rethink it.

Christ's Church is ONE and is supposed to be ONE in everything - including what it celebrates.

If my eating meat offends, I won't eat meat.

Why call a day dedicated to our Lord Jesus by a name so many understand to be pagan?

Shouldn't we that have the greater faith yield to those with the less faith to avoid causing them the crisis of conscience?

And seriously . . . it comes from the "rising of the sun"? I don't believe that. That's what it sounds like in English. Call me paranoid if you want. Call me any derogatory name in the book if you want. You don't seem to have any issues about that.

I'm not all about a name. But why a name like "Easter"? Why not the name the Bible uses?

Much love!
Mark

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If my eating meat offends, I won't eat meat.

Why call a day dedicated to our Lord Jesus by a name so many understand to be pagan?

Shouldn't we that have the greater faith yield to those with the less faith to avoid causing them the crisis of conscience?

And seriously . . . it comes from the "rising of the sun"? I don't believe that. That's what it sounds like in English. Call me paranoid if you want. Call me any derogatory name in the book if you want. You don't seem to have any issues about that.

I'm not all about a name. But why a name like "Easter"? Why not the name the Bible uses?

Much love!
Mark
Where is the term. "Christmas" in Scripture? This is a man made term for a celebration of the birth of our Lord - and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Easter" was NEVER a problem until the likes of Alexander Hislop and his ilk. There was NO controversy with this term until the last 100 years or so. You should ask yourself WHY that is. If it's a crisis of faith that YOU are experiencing - put your trust n the Lord - NOT the world . . .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is the term. "Christmas" in Scripture? This is a man made term for a celebration of the birth of our Lord - and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Easter" was NEVER a problem until the likes of Alexander Hislop and his ilk. There was NO controversy with this term until the last 100 years or so. You should ask yourself WHY that is. If it's a crisis of faith that YOU are experiencing - put your trust n the Lord - NOT the world . . .

Christmas is not found in the Bible, but at least the name belongs with who is - Christ.

And claiming that Easter has nothing to do with pagan springtime celebrations is in my opinion absurd.

The crisis of faith I refer to is not mine or yours, but the one who believes that "Easter" is pagan, yet I'm encouraging them to go along anyway. And so I encourage them in what they believe is wrong, and that which is not of faith is sin. I my liberty to celebrate any day I want in any way I want and to call it anything I want is tempered by my desire to support my brother in his faith, even if I believe his faith to be immature, or not rightly placed.

I will of a certainty seek to encourage him in a true Christian liberty, but not a the expense of drawing that one into sin.

And make no mistake. If someone believes something is sin, and does it, they've sinned. The Bible is clear on this point. Why not choose the way of love for others? Why not choose, if you want to keep a certain day, to call it actually after our Savior, and what He did, such as those who say Resurrection Day?

If there is resistance to this, perhaps the question should be, why is that?

Much love!
mark

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas is not found in the Bible, but at least the name belongs with who is - Christ.
And claiming that Easter has nothing to do with pagan springtime celebrations is in my opinion absurd.
The crisis of faith I refer to is not mine or yours, but the one who believes that "Easter" is pagan, yet I'm encouraging them to go along anyway. And so I encourage them in what they believe is wrong, and that which is not of faith is sin. I my liberty to celebrate any day I want in any way I want and to call it anything I want is tempered by my desire to support my brother in his faith, even if I believe his faith to be immature, or not rightly placed.

I will of a certainty seek to encourage him in a true Christian liberty, but not a the expense of drawing that one into sin.

And make no mistake. If someone believes something is sin, and does it, they've sinned. The Bible is clear on this point. Why not choose the way of love for others? Why not choose, if you want to keep a certain day, to call it actually after our Savior, and what He did, such as those who say Resurrection Day?

If there is resistance to this, perhaps the question should be, why is that?

Much love!
mark
First of all - your comment in RED says it ALL: It's your opinion and nothing else.
I might add that it is an ignorant opinion at that, although you can't really claim ignorance since I've explained the facts to you and given you evidence to the contrary.

As to your last remark in RED - you never answered MY question.
WHY did this suddenly become a problem in the 20th century when it was NEVER a problem for 1900 years?? NONE of your Protestant Fathers objected to the use of the word "Easter" - perhaps because they were better educated that the Protestants of today.

The problem is NOT in t he word "Easter" - but in the ignorance that many of you have come to accept as the norm . . .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all - your comment in RED says it ALL: It's your opinion and nothing else.
I might add that it is an ignorant opinion at that, although you can't really claim ignorance since I've explained the facts to you and given you evidence to the contrary.

Hi BoL,

Your set of fact don't include all of them. You can claim my opinion to be ignorant, but that doesn't make it so. And yes, it's my opinion that the claims that Easter has nothing to do with pagan springtime celebrations are completely absurd, and it's difficult for me to imagine how someone would not be able to see that. The least research shows this. You don't have to get into a big "Babylon" thing, just look at the rites around the world.

So we have different views.

As to your last remark in RED - you never answered MY question.
WHY did this suddenly become a problem in the 20th century when it was NEVER a problem for 1900 years?? NONE of your Protestant Fathers objected to the use of the word "Easter" - perhaps because they were better educated that the Protestants of today.

The problem is NOT in t he word "Easter" - but in the ignorance that many of you have come to accept as the norm . . .

Well, I had actually started to answer this, but then deleted it, but if you wish, I will. You cannot prove a negative, and claiming you can would be another absurdity.

To say that no one has had a problem with the use of the word "Easter" except in the past 100 years requires proving a negative. So this then is an unsupportable assertion, and therefore is a logical fallacy.

You know, sometimes I wonder, for all the times I point out logical fallacies to people, does anyone really care? I mean, do people care when their arguments aren't valid? Or is it just forget about it and move on?

Much love!
mark