Empathy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Empathy is the ability to feel anothers pain. I guess you could waste it on tv, but it would only benefit you.

I Think that sometimes people that have been through painful thing's, are more sensitive to other's! Example> I thought I had it bad, and then you realize there are those out there that have it worse and then you feel for them, rely feel for them, concern, compassion, a deep caring for their well being, both physical and spiritual.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity isn't about Catholicism or Protestantism or following a religion or regime of self discipline and self determination.

Agreed.

It has and always will be about God accomplishing in us what we cannot do for ourselves. About a real living personality, the Son of God, abiding in us through His Spirit doing for us what we cannot possibly do in and of ourselves. If we don't have faith? Ask. If we don't have love? Ask. If we don't have HIM? Ask. Only with Christ in us the hope of glory, can we love as He loved. It is proportionally equivalent to the extent of our surrender to His infilling through His Spirit that we can share that with others. I read John 4 earlier. The woman at the well. That living water flows out of us in proportion to how much of Christ we allow in to our lives.
If you don't see that in your fellow Christians, don't allow that to deter you from gaining the experience for yourself. Use it as motivation for even a more decided focus on Christ and Him crucified.
Ref post #13 @aspen

But, bottom line...
Have we every really believed that this whole thing is about anything else but love...?
It is the foundation of the Good News...the firm foundation which Jesus left us.
Everything else is nothing but breadcrumbs and rabbit holes.

You are right. But, this board is about being right, not love.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, i am at a crossroads. Yes, a crossroads.

I have followed Christianity to its limits, which is Roman Catholicism.

Yeah, trust me. Been there and done that. And, if love of God and neighbor is not the point, backbone, scaffold for the meaning of life, i am out. Yep
There is never a limit with God. The limit is always with us. We are the ones who stop moving or even slide backward rather than daring to really step out a bit more in faith.

How much does God love us? Some people don't recognize His love at all. Some recognize it in a measure and this is likely where everyone who really believes is, although the exact place we each are on the highway of holiness certainly differs. Too many people attend churches for the wrong reasons and don't know God at all... even when they seem to think that they do.

How much do we love God? Perhaps more difficult to answer than my previous question. I won't even try.

If this whole BS performance does not promote love of neighbor and enemy fails to catch on, i am out. I am calling this whole Christianity on the carpet.
You are calling... but has not God been calling to people from the beginning? Don't let what others do or do not do be your guide. You will certainly end up falling in a ditch even if you leader is one of the better ones. The problem is always that any leader, even one of the better ones, is likely at some time stumble and perhaps even fall into a ditch.

If this BS label is simply another form of tribalism and ‘do it my way’ bs, i am OUT.

I want a revolution of loving neighbor, now

Again you want..., but God put us here with a whole lot of seemingly unlovable people and at times we are ourselves are likely in that same boat of being unlovable. Perhaps He wants to see how well we will handle it from both directions: treating them with charity when they are at their worst and looking to Him at all times no matter where we are.

It is always the other guy who is wrong in our eyes, here on this forum, in our church gathering off the forum, in our schools or on our job sites. It is never us, but then how often are we seeing things with God's eyes?

Last edited:

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quick question: Which version of the DSM was it removed from, the 5th one? Just wondering. I find it interesting.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is never a limit with God. The limit is always with us. We are the ones who stop moving or even slide backward rather than daring to really step out a bit more in faith.

How much does God love us? Some people don't recognize His love at all. Some recognize it in a measure and this is likely where everyone who really believes is, although the exact place we each are on the highway of holiness certainly differs. Too many people attend churches for the wrong reasons and don't know God at all... even when they seem to think that they do.

How much do we love God? Perhaps more difficult to answer than my previous question. I won't even try.

You are calling... but has not God been calling to people from the beginning? Don't let what others do or do not do be your guide. You will certainly end up falling in a ditch even if you leader is one of the better ones. The problem is always that any leader, even one of the better ones, is likely at some time stumble and perhaps even fall into a ditch.

Again you want..., but God put us here with a whole lot of seemingly unlovable people and at times we are ourselves are likely in that same boat of being unlovable. Perhaps He wants to see how well we will handle it from both directions: treating them with charity when they are at their worst and looking to Him at all times no matter where we are.

It is always the other guy who is wrong in our eyes, here on this forum, in our church gathering off the forum, in our schools or on our job sites. It is never us, but then how often are we seeing things with God's eyes?

I think this is my favorite post from you and that is saying a lot

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quick question: Which version of the DSM was it removed from, the 5th one? Just wondering. I find it interesting.
Narcissistic personality disorder is being dropped from the DSM. But is narcissism really a quaint relic of a more modest time, or is it just time to redefine it? By Casey Schwartz

There was an irony to the timing of this week's announcement that the new version of the Diagnostic Statistical Manual—the DSM, the bible for mental-health professionals—will no longer contain narcissistic personality disorder. The announcement came in the midst of a news cycle dominated by Julian Assange, the cocksure founder of WikiLeaks, doling out government secrets at his own discretion.

But is Assange a narcissist? Narcissistic personality disorder was first defined in 1967. The DSM-IV defines the essential feature of narcissism as "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy that begins in early adulthood and is present in a variety of contexts." It's a definition that was set before the rise of social networking, reality TV, or partisan news channels designed to confirm our every opinion. Perhaps it truly is time to update it.

“A grandiose self is the sine qua non of narcissism,” says Peter Freed, assistant professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University. It is the hallmark symptom, the conviction that one is owed greatness, independent of talent or discipline. In other words, believing that your every movement deserves a camera crew is one of the disorder’s diagnostic criteria. But today, such an attribute is considered normal—modesty has become a liability. In a culture where the fantasy of fame is realized by the unlikeliest contenders, is it still grandiose to believe that the world should watch and admire you?

Everybody has narcissistic traits, and many of these are healthy, even required, to be a success in certain segments of the modern world. “Narcissism is not a disease,” says Freed. "It’s an evolutionary strategy that can be incredibly successful—when it works, ” Today, grandiosity can get the average schlub anything from a reality-TV show to 100,000 Twitter followers. Joe the Plumber was, by definition, a "regular Joe" who became instantly famous via the 24-hour news cycle. Justin Bieber was discovered on YouTube. In such an environment, it's natural—even smart—to be narcissistic enough to think you could be the next celebrity, because you could be.

And what of tweets, Foursquare check-ins, and Facebook status updates? Justin Frank, a psychoanalyst and Daily Beast contributor, regards these new forums as a positive form of self-regard, an opportunity for psychological “self-repair" in which individuals can achieve the feeling of being applauded that may have been lacking in childhood. In this sense, Frank says, there’s something valuable about the availability of a venue for a fragile ego to pump itself up, without resorting to the dangerous behaviors so common among the personality disorders.

Today, it's natural—even smart—to be narcissistic enough to think you could be the next celebrity, because you could be.

Not everyone agrees. In the Facebook culture of banal declarations—in which "So and So is waiting for the cable guy!!” is followed by a chorus of enthused "So and So Likes This" responses—Frank Yeomans, a professor of psychiatry at Cornell Medical School, sees an “infantile narcissism” playing out. Facebook, he says, is like “an adult show and tell. If you’re a 2 year old, it’s normal that you say boo and everybody thinks, you’re so great. And if you’re 3 and you tie your shoes, everybody says that’s wonderful. A truly mature adult can pat himself on the back. He doesn’t need everyone around him to do it for him.”

And "he" might now be a "she." Narcissism has become such a valued personality trait that it's broken through the gender barrier. For decades, it was seen as a predominantly male disorder. Now, says Harris Stratyner, a professor of psychiatry at Mt. Sinai Medical School, it's increasingly common in women.

In part, this shift can be understood in terms of what Robert Millman, a psychiatrist at Harvard, first described as “acquired situational narcissism”—the idea that narcissistic personality disorder can come on well into adulthood—not as an early coping mechanism for an underfed childhood, but in response to significant professional achievements. Now that adult women are surging ahead in their careers, competing with the top dogs, and outpacing men in college and certain sectors of the workforce, they are subject to the same blow-up of grandiose thinking that has long affected their male counterparts.

Stratyner believes it is unwise to remove the narcissism diagnosis from the DSM, not only because it’s a legitimate construct, but also because it will have real repercussions for treatment. In fact, it is perhaps the worst to tinker with, he says. Of all the disorders, the narcissist is the most invested in discrediting anything that he perceives as an insult. If it’s no longer a disorder, “the narcissistic patient will say to you as a therapist, 'Hey, the DSM-V doesn’t even believe in it, so what are you labeling me for with that?'”

Maybe they have a point.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Narcissistic personality disorder is being dropped from the DSM. But is narcissism really a quaint relic of a more modest time, or is it just time to redefine it? By Casey Schwartz

There was an irony to the timing of this week's announcement that the new version of the Diagnostic Statistical Manual—the DSM, the bible for mental-health professionals—will no longer contain narcissistic personality disorder. The announcement came in the midst of a news cycle dominated by Julian Assange, the cocksure founder of WikiLeaks, doling out government secrets at his own discretion.

But is Assange a narcissist? Narcissistic personality disorder was first defined in 1967. The DSM-IV defines the essential feature of narcissism as "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy that begins in early adulthood and is present in a variety of contexts." It's a definition that was set before the rise of social networking, reality TV, or partisan news channels designed to confirm our every opinion. Perhaps it truly is time to update it.

“A grandiose self is the sine qua non of narcissism,” says Peter Freed, assistant professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University. It is the hallmark symptom, the conviction that one is owed greatness, independent of talent or discipline. In other words, believing that your every movement deserves a camera crew is one of the disorder’s diagnostic criteria. But today, such an attribute is considered normal—modesty has become a liability. In a culture where the fantasy of fame is realized by the unlikeliest contenders, is it still grandiose to believe that the world should watch and admire you?

Everybody has narcissistic traits, and many of these are healthy, even required, to be a success in certain segments of the modern world. “Narcissism is not a disease,” says Freed. "It’s an evolutionary strategy that can be incredibly successful—when it works, ” Today, grandiosity can get the average schlub anything from a reality-TV show to 100,000 Twitter followers. Joe the Plumber was, by definition, a "regular Joe" who became instantly famous via the 24-hour news cycle. Justin Bieber was discovered on YouTube. In such an environment, it's natural—even smart—to be narcissistic enough to think you could be the next celebrity, because you could be.

And what of tweets, Foursquare check-ins, and Facebook status updates? Justin Frank, a psychoanalyst and Daily Beast contributor, regards these new forums as a positive form of self-regard, an opportunity for psychological “self-repair" in which individuals can achieve the feeling of being applauded that may have been lacking in childhood. In this sense, Frank says, there’s something valuable about the availability of a venue for a fragile ego to pump itself up, without resorting to the dangerous behaviors so common among the personality disorders.

Today, it's natural—even smart—to be narcissistic enough to think you could be the next celebrity, because you could be.

Not everyone agrees. In the Facebook culture of banal declarations—in which "So and So is waiting for the cable guy!!” is followed by a chorus of enthused "So and So Likes This" responses—Frank Yeomans, a professor of psychiatry at Cornell Medical School, sees an “infantile narcissism” playing out. Facebook, he says, is like “an adult show and tell. If you’re a 2 year old, it’s normal that you say boo and everybody thinks, you’re so great. And if you’re 3 and you tie your shoes, everybody says that’s wonderful. A truly mature adult can pat himself on the back. He doesn’t need everyone around him to do it for him.”

And "he" might now be a "she." Narcissism has become such a valued personality trait that it's broken through the gender barrier. For decades, it was seen as a predominantly male disorder. Now, says Harris Stratyner, a professor of psychiatry at Mt. Sinai Medical School, it's increasingly common in women.

In part, this shift can be understood in terms of what Robert Millman, a psychiatrist at Harvard, first described as “acquired situational narcissism”—the idea that narcissistic personality disorder can come on well into adulthood—not as an early coping mechanism for an underfed childhood, but in response to significant professional achievements. Now that adult women are surging ahead in their careers, competing with the top dogs, and outpacing men in college and certain sectors of the workforce, they are subject to the same blow-up of grandiose thinking that has long affected their male counterparts.

Stratyner believes it is unwise to remove the narcissism diagnosis from the DSM, not only because it’s a legitimate construct, but also because it will have real repercussions for treatment. In fact, it is perhaps the worst to tinker with, he says. Of all the disorders, the narcissist is the most invested in discrediting anything that he perceives as an insult. If it’s no longer a disorder, “the narcissistic patient will say to you as a therapist, 'Hey, the DSM-V doesn’t even believe in it, so what are you labeling me for with that?'”

Maybe they have a point.

This is an interesting point. I totally disagree that there is a healthy form of Narcissism, but i do get it that the individual must follow Jesus and Paul and overthrow the Old Man.....it cannot be unmasked or ‘pantsed’ by external forces without negative consequences. Like other demons....if a narcissist gets exposed as a feature of the false self without a real connection with the true self......it really does become the death of the narcisist.

Reactions: amadeus

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, the 5th

It is still in the DSM-5. It just got moved under personality disorder. My wife is a therapist, I see the book laying around the house when she brings it home sometimes. It's interesting material.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.81 (F60.81)

I do agree that empathy is something that the world is missing greatly. People are becoming lovers of self more and more.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Think that sometimes people that have been through painful thing's, are more sensitive to other's! Example> I thought I had it bad, and then you realize there are those out there that have it worse and then you feel for them, rely feel for them, concern, compassion, a deep caring for their well being, both physical and spiritual.

Absolutely. Enduring great emotional pain has a way of making us more careful about what we say and do to others. We become more careful not to hurt them because we have ourselves experienced pain too, so empathy and consideration greatly increase within us.

I think there are some proverbs for this, I just don't remember where...

Reactions: Pisteuo and Helen

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All the Gay people I know are narcissist. that's why they can't truly have a real worthy relationship.
People who are metrosexual are also much the same, everything revolves around themselves, not really fully functioning people in a healthy society and that's why nowadays conservative is replaced with stupid selfish ego driven ideas, one just of late was a moronic idiot won the right to use her husbands sperm to have a Child, he has been dead for 5 years, just great ! love to be that child, not ! what a creep show. do I have empathy for her, no ! but I do for the Child.
Do I have empathy for an deluded or an adulterous generation, no !
Do I have empathy to the roman catholic church, no they reaped what they sowed, it's a creep show.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just thank God we aren't still trying to coordinate with only the old ICD-9 that was in use when I first began work in the field.

Lol, Thank God I retired only 2 months before we were to start classes to switch over to ICD-10. Was hard enough to get some M.D.'s to use the ICD-9's properly...if at all. Just made a lot more work/time for us. I hear they are not too bad though.

Reactions: Willie T

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have followed Christianity to its limits, which is Roman Catholicism. Yeah, trust me. Been there and done that. And, if love of God and neighbor is not the point, backbone, scaffold for the meaning of life, i am out. Yep

If this whole BS performance does not promote love of neighbor and enemy fails to catch on, i am out. I am calling this whole Christianity on the carpet.

If this BS labal is simply another form of tribalism and ‘do it my way’ bs, i am OUT.

I want a revelution of loving neighbor, now

I truly believe that you are an Intelligent person, and I believe that what you want is Genuine, I think that every one on this forum, with the exception of a few would Love to Have it Now! I Can Guarantee what You want will Come to Flourish-ion in the Kingdom, but on this forum, and in the World today, NOT! I Hope that You Stay, and come to a Peace, to overlook the stuff!!

Reactions: aspen and Nancy

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I have followed Christianity to its limits, which is Roman Catholicism. Yeah, trust me. Been there and done that. And, if love of God and neighbor is not the point, backbone, scaffold for the meaning of life, i am out. Yep

If this BS labal is simply another form of tribalism and ‘do it my way’ bs, i am OUT.

You want ? a revolution now, your want's do not mean a thing.
Over 4000 years of history you are talking about and you want it now, haha. oh boy.
There is nothing anyone can do about the nature of man, it is what it is and the only thing for it is Jesus Christ and you have to get on that track, not your religion, not what you want, it's all about Gods way or the highway.
People who are outside of Jesus Christ have no hope they have not Grace, they are lost just as are the religious denominations are peddling there own agendas mainly and pushing an ends to a means doctrine that is driven by the worldly temptations.
One can never truly have love for their fellow man unless they have the Grace of God, not the grace of man, that type of grace is not the love that Jesus is all about at all.

One does not have to accept people regardless, that is not Love, such is blind and foolish.
The majority of Christian people nowadays are under the power of Satan, they do not respect Jesus Christ at all, they have another jesus and he is Politically Correct and it is demanded that all have to follow this counterfeit creep show that is peddled in all the churches nowadays.
The Jews are gods people BS how pathetic, who are the True Christians then ? a pimple on a pumpkin, what fools they are to turn and reject Jesus Christ for such total BS. blinded by such insane madness, like a dog that goes back to it's vomit.

The world nowadays is the greatest time to of ever lived in the history of man, but one thing that muddy the waters is Sin ! yes that is the major problem all have to deal with and nowadays the powers that be are peddling Sin to empower people with such madness, Political Correctness is all about peddling this, empowering all the fools who are in fact rejecting God.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

aspen:

A revolution of loving your neighbor is not going to happen even on this site, let alone in your neighborhood.
The love that God gives his believers is revolutionary in its self. I have come to know some folks on this site that through their words they are loving people. It is a precious thing these days. We are most probably at a time in history where self love abounds of those with hardened hearts for loving others. Do not given up on God that can give you the peace and love that no else one can.

Instead of quoting scripture and showing what love is all about, I have translated from scripture what love is to me in my own simple words. Its lets me know that the love of God is alive and working, through me and others that love God. I see it all the time. Follow these people..

Love is doings things for others when it is an awkward time for you
Love is doing the right thing even when others walk away
Love is sharing and caring for others because you have already forgotten about yourself.
Love is the act of sacrificing self for others even to death, not for tribal reasons; for the giving and the chance for new life
Love is caring, sharing, giving and sacrificing from the heart and not the head.
Love is telling the truth under fire because it is will always be there with you, as a faithful and loyal friend when the fire subsides, ready to defend you, again and again.

Jesus Christ our savior loved and loves this way, and I am walking in his direction every day. Forget the denominations and religious organizations and focus of Jesus, truly a loving man of God.

Bless you,

APAK

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen:

A revolution of loving your neighbor is not going to happen even on this site, let alone in your neighborhood.
The love that God gives his believers is revolutionary in its self. I have come to know some folks on this site that through their words they are loving people. It is a precious thing these days. We are most probably at a time in history where self love abounds of those with hardened hearts for loving others. Do not given up on God that can give you the peace and love that no else one can.

Instead of quoting scripture and showing what love is all about, I have translated from scripture what love is to me in my own simple words. Its lets me know that the love of God is alive and working, through me and others that love God. I see it all the time. Follow these people..

Love is doings things for others when it is an awkward time for you
Love is doing the right thing even when others walk away
Love is sharing and caring for others because you have already forgotten about yourself.
Love is the act of sacrificing self for others even to death, not for tribal reasons; for the giving and the chance for new life
Love is caring, sharing, giving and sacrificing from the heart and not the head.
Love is telling the truth under fire because it is will always be there with you, as a faithful and loyal friend when the fire subsides, ready to defend you, again and again.

Jesus Christ our savior loved and loves this way, and I am walking in his direction every day. Forget the denominations and religious organizations and focus of Jesus, truly a loving man of God.

Bless you,

APAK

Lovely post APAK,
"Forget the denominations and..." How true and how very simple the Gospel is-Jesus plus nothing,because if He is all you have then, you have everything. Trust and Faith...it is becoming stronger and more evident in my life as I submit to Him, pray, and watch Him work. His peace settles over me and it does not even make me impatient waiting for an answer as His timing is always perfect. I actually get excited like a kid the day before Christmas, just to see how My King will answer our prayers!
Be blessed!
-nancy

Reactions: APAK

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You want ? a revolution now, your want's do not mean a thing.
Over 4000 years of history you are talking about and you want it now, haha. oh boy.
There is nothing anyone can do about the nature of man, it is what it is and the only thing for it is Jesus Christ and you have to get on that track, not your religion, not what you want, it's all about Gods way or the highway.
People who are outside of Jesus Christ have no hope they have not Grace, they are lost just as are the religious denominations are peddling there own agendas mainly and pushing an ends to a means doctrine that is driven by the worldly temptations.
One can never truly have love for their fellow man unless they have the Grace of God, not the grace of man, that type of grace is not the love that Jesus is all about at all.

One does not have to accept people regardless, that is not Love, such is blind and foolish.
The majority of Christian people nowadays are under the power of Satan, they do not respect Jesus Christ at all, they have another jesus and he is Politically Correct and it is demanded that all have to follow this counterfeit creep show that is peddled in all the churches nowadays.
The Jews are gods people BS how pathetic, who are the True Christians then ? a pimple on a pumpkin, what fools they are to turn and reject Jesus Christ for such total BS. blinded by such insane madness, like a dog that goes back to it's vomit.

The world nowadays is the greatest time to of ever lived in the history of man, but one thing that muddy the waters is Sin ! yes that is the major problem all have to deal with and nowadays the powers that be are peddling Sin to empower people with such madness, Political Correctness is all about peddling this, empowering all the fools who are in fact rejecting God.

I would suggest that you start loving yourself, Reggie - the Bible tells us to start with ourselves. You are a self loathing man, based on your posts. If Jesus preached your message he would have been lost to history, as would we.