Enoch and Holy Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am currently reading into the Book of Enoch in which he made a little headway into our current Bible...

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. - Jude 1:14-15

And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones. To execute judgement upon all and to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. - Book of Enoch 1:9

Reading into the Book of Enoch I find largely judgements against the Ungodly. After reading into most of that I went to church this morning thankful we live in the age of grace where we can find a walk with the Holy Spirit. I also wonder why more of Enoch was not included in our compilation of scripture.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am currently reading into the Book of Enoch in which he made a little headway into our current Bible...

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. - Jude 1:14-15

And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones. To execute judgement upon all and to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. - Book of Enoch 1:9

Reading into the Book of Enoch I find largely judgements against the Ungodly. After reading into most of that I went to church this morning thankful we live in the age of grace where we can find a walk with the Holy Spirit. I also wonder why more of Enoch was not included in our compilation of scripture.

It's like many inspired ministers and Christian authors today who write many inspired things, and yet are contaminated by their own thoughts and references to traditions. None of that means we cannot learn from whatever the Bible adopts from it that is true.

There is a reason the Scriptures are identified as such--they are viewed as works not just a product of Christian reason but more, the product of a divine commission to present a body of consistent and reliable truth.

Enoch was perhaps inspired, but not a work that was actually commissioned, in my opinion. It therefore has value insofar as we can confirm various truths contained within the body of work.

That is most often the way it is, since we are not automatons , dependent on God for every word we say. From the pulpit or in ministering to others, we are to speak as if giving oracles from God, but what we say will not always be "oracles from God!" ;)

Paul said that when the prophets speak in a church gathering, 2 or 3 may speak and the others should then judge. In other words, don't expect the prophets to be right all the time. Some of what they say will be prophetic, and some will be more thought to have prophetic value. The body of Christians in the church should be able to discern among them what is more or less reliable.

Reactions: rockytopva

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David Jeremiah did a good job referring to Enoch around 6:00 in this week's sermon...

Reactions: GISMYS_7

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many "churches" say nothing about bible prophecy and the very near (CATCHING UP) rapture and soon return of Jesus=Luke warm!!!

Reactions: rockytopva

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I also wonder why more of Enoch was not included in our compilation of scripture.
Quote from BingChat:
Some possible reasons why the Book of Enoch is considered apocryphal are:

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created the nation of Israel to be a great sign, a miraculous sign to the world of His reality, of His existence. He knew that because He created Israel, and stated that He was going to use them to reach out to the world, and bless the world through them, that they would become a target of Satan and that they would need divine protection. He said, "I will bless those who bless you and the one who curses you, I will curse." That covenant with the physical sons of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is still being kept by God to this day. God always keeps His promises.