entire sanctification is an obtainable goal.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was the only sinless Man who has ever lived on earth. So you are very seriously in error.
We are not without the element of sin dwelling in our mortal flesh.

However, it is in fact possible to walk in freedom and victory over sin for an extended period/length of time.

The blood of Jesus cleanseth us from all sin (1 John 1:7); and also sanctifies us (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29).

The Lord regenerates us and renews us (Titus 3:3-7) so that the sin nature is destroyed (Romans 6:6) and put off from us (Colossians 2:11).

This does not mean that we are without sin; it means that *it is just as good as if* we are without sin; because the element of sin is rendered dead within our mortal flesh (Romans 7:8, Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24) so that it no longer has any say/authority over our behaviour/what we do.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are not without the element of sin dwelling in our mortal flesh.
Correct. There is so much confusion about sin and salvation because people are not paying attention to what is actually revealed in the Bible. "Sin shall not have dominion over you" is not the same as "Sin is entirely eradicated from you and you are now sinlessly perfect".

Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. There is so much confusion about sin and salvation because people are not paying attention to what is actually revealed in the Bible. "Sin shall not have dominion over you" is not the same as "Sin is entirely eradicated from you and you are now sinlessly perfect".
Amen.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are half-right and more than half-wrong. No one in their right mind tells Christians to "go on sinning".
I don't know any Christians at all who think that's what Christianity is about.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't know any Christians at all who think that's what Christianity is about.
Correct. It is just another strawman argument from those who really do not understand (1) the finished work of Christ and (2) the Gospel as presented in Scripture. And even after you show them the truth, they refuse to believe it.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are half-right and more than half-wrong. No one in their right mind tells Christians to "go on sinning".

I agree. Martin Luther couldn't have been in his right mind to write don't just sin, make them strong so as to really show God's MERCY.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 1:15, And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;

It should be clear from Romans 4:11 as compared to Romans 2:28-29, that spiritual circumcision of the heart is not necessary for the imputing of righteousness; but that for those whose consciences have afflicted them over the years every time that they have sinned; and they also find themselves crying with Paul, "O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death." (Romans 7:24)...that there is deliverance from the body of sin, the body of the sins of the flesh (Romans 6:6, Colossians 2:11) and that a man can receive a second benefit (spoken of in 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (kjv) and Hebrews 10:14 and 1 John 3:9) called entire sanctification.

Such a thing is not salvation (except from the power of sin); for salvation is the imputing of righteousness and is given even to those who are not circumcised of heart (Romans 4:11, Romans 2:28-29), i.e. sanctified.

Entire sanctification happens when a man begins to live like his identity, given to him in Romans 4:5, that he is declared righteous even though in some way, shape, or form he continues to be ungodly.

If you know that you are righteous in Him, it becomes the natural outflow of that knowledge that you will begin to live like you know your identity to be.

So the person who is being made complete in Christ is made righteous (Romans 5:19, 1 John 3:7, Matthew 5:6) in the practical sense; his love is not any longer in word or in tongue only; but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18).

Rom 2:28, For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29, But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Rom 4:11, And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 8:1, When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him.
Mat 8:2, And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
Mat 8:3, And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
Mat 8:4, And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

In this passage we would find that when we are cleansed (completely) from the leprosy of sin, that the Lord Jesus desires of us that we tell no man; that is, we are not to go about telling people of how God has cleansed us from all sin and that we are new creatures in Christ, personally, as of, "I am a new man, I have been changed:" but rather we are to show ourselves to the people who have previously seen us as sinners; and to live the life before them that will show them that we have been cleansed from our leprosy.

It is written in Philemon (1:6) that,

Phm 1:6, That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

So we are to live a life that shows forth the doctrine of entire sanctification rather than proclaiming that God has done the work in us; while we are given the liberty to preach the doctrine as it is sound doctrine within the word of God, while we are forbidden to say that the Lord has definitely accomplished it in us; we are to refrain from boasting if we know that He has accomplished it in us.

We are however allowed to speak of the doctrine as being that which has changed our life, when we are asked by people of the world (or even those of the church who have not yet received this second benefit). It is written,

1Pe 3:15, But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
1Pe 3:16, Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

This is another way of understanding 1 John 1:8:

1Jo 1:8, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Last edited:

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
People have and do, as a theology it's called hyper grace, and a surprising number of believers had no issues with a reprobate preaching without rebuke.

So a swearing violent rebel, who appears pleasant preaching grace, forgiveness with a slightly cleaned up conversation was the aspiration of some, which shocked me when faced with it, but this is part of the born again witness put there. I got banned from a forum for linking to an individual's twitter account because it was so rude. That is a 100% demonstration how far this rot has gone.

But once you say sin does not matter or is noticed that is where you end up. Ironically these guys will say 99% of believers are not saved which for me demonstrates just their own lostness....

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Also, Romans 8:23 speaks of the redemption of the body; and I believe, based on Galatians 4:5-7, that this is obtainable in this life. The redemption of the body is defined as the adoption; and this is said to have already been accomplished in the above passage.

Also, we can be sanctified to the purifying of the flesh according to Hebrews 9:13-14.

And in 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, it should be clear that the body as well as the spirit and soul can be preserved blameless unto the coming of Jesus in being sanctified wholly.

In Ephesians 5:30-32, we find that it is possible to be made one flesh with Christ; and it is written that there is no sin in Him. This is said to be a mystery.
Eureka! found you. Praise The Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, praise His holy Name (Matt 5:48) amen!

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We've had many threads on this topic about, during our earthly existence, what level of edification, sanctification and perfection is attainable.
I believe that as with any type of discipline, growth and maturity comes with experience and understanding. Whether one is training as an athlete, musician, lawyer or scholar, exposure to the craft, understanding the tenets and skill-sets required, and study and practice, trains the body and enlightens the mind. So, as we all know, the more that we read our Bibles, discuss and gather other opinions, pray and meditate on His Word, progression and edification is inevitable.

I guess the only question remains, is to what extent can we elevate our spirits and attain the full image of God?
I say, not perfection by any stretch of the mind, but I think as much effort as one puts in, will be the results, and God is willing to expedite this if one has the right amount of faith and humility.
In my opinion, thanks!
‘To walk just as HE walked’

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
‘To walk just as HE walked’

On forums and listening to believers sometimes it overwhelms one with the emotion of defeat and compromise.
I am always ashamed in front of the cross and the Lord, to have such an attitude.

Jesus had to withdraw a lot to pray, and I know the feeling to need to refocus as opposed to empathise.
Jesus fed the 5000 and then concluded after all His teaching,

26 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill."
John 6:26

Jesus and christians get much attention but it is not necessarily righteous or good.
Praise the Lord He is faithful, kind and forgiving. I think we often get too involved in failure in others and not enough on seeing victory in Christ, so the emotions and sadness associated with sinful entanglement discourage and turn our hearts around when we should just be rejoicing that we have another glorious day to bring praise to His name. Amen