entire sanctification is an obtainable goal.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Philippians 3:15 it is written that as many as are perfect shall have a certain attitude, in context, that they will believe that they have not yet apprehended or were already made perfect. But it should be clear that even though they have this attitude, the Bible defines them as being perfect.

There are many verses which speak of the possibility of being sanctified wholly, among them are 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 1 John 3:9, and Hebrews 10:14.

It should also be clear that Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, and 1 John 2:10 all declare that we do not have to fall into sin but can even be made faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.

In 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, and 1 John 2:6, it becomes clear that we can be righteous even as He is righteous, pure even as He is pure, and can walk even as He walked.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, Romans 8:23 speaks of the redemption of the body; and I believe, based on Galatians 4:5-7, that this is obtainable in this life. The redemption of the body is defined as the adoption; and this is said to have already been accomplished in the above passage.

Also, we can be sanctified to the purifying of the flesh according to Hebrews 9:13-14.

And in 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, it should be clear that the body as well as the spirit and soul can be preserved blameless unto the coming of Jesus in being sanctified wholly.

In Ephesians 5:30-32, we find that it is possible to be made one flesh with Christ; and it is written that there is no sin in Him. This is said to be a mystery.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm using the computer at my doctor's office and may not be able to respond for a while.

But I thought I would throw in my two cents for the moment.

Reactions: Episkopos and Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Philippians 3:15 it is written that as many as are perfect shall have a certain attitude, in context, that they will believe that they have not yet apprehended or were already made perfect. But it should be clear that even though they have this attitude, the Bible defines them as being perfect.
Hi justbyfaith,

Just a comment on this part, perfect does not mean so much "morally excellent", more, "mature and complete".

Much love!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi justbyfaith,

Just a comment on this part, perfect does not mean so much "morally excellent", more, "mature and complete".

Much love!

A little tiny green apple is perfect ....perfect FOR a small unripe apple.
It s perfect for where it is in time..but not perfect if bitten into!
Perfect does not mean to be full grown and mature...that is a work in progress.

JMHO

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi justbyfaith,

Much love!
Mature, while possible, is untenable in most passages. Are you "mature"? How do you know you are "mature"? Are there other's that are more "mature"? If they are, how can you say that you are "mature"?

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mature, while possible, is untenable in most passages. Are you "mature"? How do you know you are "mature"? Are there other's that are more "mature"? If they are, how can you say that you are "mature"?

Mature is complete/finished.
We are not complete or finished yet.
Heb 11
God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.”

Only when the body is complete and Our Head in place...will we have come to the fullness of the stature of Christ.

...✟

Reactions: Nancy and DNB

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 11
God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.”

Only when the body is complete and Our Head in place...will we have come to the fullness of the stature of Christ.

...✟
The message the old timers used to tell me was that we have not arrived, but have only scratched the surface pertaining to the things of God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just looking at the Greek word . . .

How do you understand that passage?

Much love!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"perfect"
occurs 61 times in 56 verses in the NKJV.
Page 1 / 2 exact matches (Gen 6:9–Jas 1:17)

copyChkboxOff.gif
Gen 6:9

This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Lev 22:21

‘And whoever offers a sacrifice of a peace offering to the LORD, to fulfill his vow, or a freewill offering from the cattle or the sheep, it must be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no defect in it.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Deu 25:15

“You shall have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure, that your days may be lengthened in the land which the LORD your God is giving you.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Deu 32:4

He is the Rock, His work is perfect;
For all His ways are justice,
A God of truth and without injustice;
Righteous and upright is He.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 Chr. 34:19

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

There are many verses which speak of the possibility of being sanctified wholly, among them are 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 1 John 3:9, and Hebrews 10:14.

It should also be clear that Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, and 1 John 2:10 all declare that we do not have to fall into sin but can even be made faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.

In 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, and 1 John 2:6, it becomes clear that we can be righteous even as He is righteous, pure even as He is pure, and can walk even as He walked.
We've had many threads on this topic about, during our earthly existence, what level of edification, sanctification and perfection is attainable.
I believe that as with any type of discipline, growth and maturity comes with experience and understanding. Whether one is training as an athlete, musician, lawyer or scholar, exposure to the craft, understanding the tenets and skill-sets required, and study and practice, trains the body and enlightens the mind. So, as we all know, the more that we read our Bibles, discuss and gather other opinions, pray and meditate on His Word, progression and edification is inevitable.

I guess the only question remains, is to what extent can we elevate our spirits and attain the full image of God?
I say, not perfection by any stretch of the mind, but I think as much effort as one puts in, will be the results, and God is willing to expedite this if one has the right amount of faith and humility.
In my opinion, thanks!

Last edited:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 11

...✟
Many in Scripture are said to be perfect (not mature) and were so before they died.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

I don't really want to be difficult, but... :D

Can you identify at least one person, other than Christ Himself who has achieved entire sanctification (not just in faith, but in reality) in this life? Name one.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many in Scripture are said to be perfect (not mature) and were so before they died.

(Job 1:1) "There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil."

The bolded part is the part of the verse people always leave out. It makes it easier to rob the preceding section of its context. In context Job was "perfect and upright" in his fear of God and hatred of evil, not because he attained sinless perfection. Anybody can quote scripture in bits and pieces to rob it of its intended meaning like I see being done routinely on this forum. And like I said before, for those claiming that sinless perfection is possible in this body, they should be able to stand before God right now here on earth and see him as he is in his true form, see his face and live to tell about it.

(Romans 3:23) "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and DNB

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was going to ask you a question,
then thought I wouldn't (saw in some post/review you approve of calvin),
then thought that's not a good reason not to ask....
so here goes....

How did the Ekklesia in the New Testament learn to live righteously, abiding in Jesus, living in union with Jesus - one with the Son and with the Father,
instead of living ungodly, sinful lives ?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you identify at least one person, other than Christ Himself who has achieved entire sanctification (not just in faith, but in reality) in this life? Name one.
Instead of the phrase/word/ "entire sanctification" which carries with it different meanings , even different from "entirely sanctified" (which I think is found in the Bible),
so in order to remain in line with Biblical thought, and text/Biblical use and ideas,
can you ask the question in a way that is from the Bible itself, and not from religious ideas ?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Instead of the phrase/word/ "entire sanctification" which carries with it different meanings , even different from "entirely sanctified" (which I think is found in the Bible),
so in order to remain in line with Biblical thought, and text/Biblical use and ideas,
can you ask the question in a way that is from the Bible itself, and not from religious ideas ?
No. I asked to name one person. I don't need to consult the Bible for the answer. I just need for someone to name just one person right now who has achieved entire sanctification. Achieving it "by faith" is not an acceptable answer for me.