Eternal Life is Now!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Titus. I see you are having a lively discussion with Dan. Not to interrupt it, although I do want to know your entire point of this discussion?

I do know Dan is describing he is being saved today and because of your responses and your inference to one's salvation, including your own I believe, you might be saying to Dan he cannot be saved all the time, and including possibly today. And then I just have to ask you if you are being saved today or not today, and why or why not? And you can include scripture if you want.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Titus. I see you are having a lively discussion with Dan. Not to interrupt it, although I do want to know your entire point of this discussion?

I do know Dan is describing he is being saved today and because of your responses and your inference to one's salvation, including your own I believe, you might be saying to Dan he cannot be saved all the time, and including possibly today. And then I just have to ask you if you are being saved today or not today, and why or why not? And you can include scripture if you want.
It's open discussion you can join in anytime.

We(Dan and I) got off topic.
I believe Christians can loose their reward of eternal life.
Dan believes in OSAS

I've been discussing this with Dan for too long.
I really should not be discussing this with Dan because he's set in his ways,
I need to find new prospects to teach the true gospel of Jesus Christ.

I hope others will learn what the Bible teaches by listening to our discussion/debate.
Unfortunately I don't believe I can help Dan.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Dan believes in OSAS

I hope others will learn what the Bible teaches by listening to our discussion/debate.
What about the idea of expecting a reward of eternal life in the future age but not entering into that life now?

The subject gets confusing.

One must endure to the end to be saved. But endure in what exactly? For the saint, it is to receive the hard training of selfless surrender NOW. For the righteous it is to remain faithful till the end.

But many will persevere in a bad state. The Pharisees died in their fallen condition....did they not also persevere?

Salvation into heaven is for right now...to walk in resurrection life....now. There is no heaven later. The next age will reveal 3 types of saved kinds of people. The righteous of the nations, the saints of the New Jerusalem...and the castaways in outer darkness. That's what the bible teaches.

How does that stack up to human doctrines and tradition?

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No beginning and no end...otherwise it isn't eternal.
From heaven's point of view, I agree. Like the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world.....though it didn't happen in the realm of time until the first century. Bible says we are foreknown by God. These things are hard to grasp though....hard to fathom how the Lord sees things outside the realm of time. I wonder if this has a bearing on things written about the fate of lost souls as well.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good, folks that believe in OSAS, will always claim these brethren are not brothers in Christ or they will claim their faith was not true faith.
Biggest problem with teaching they never had true faith is,
JOHN NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR FAITH NOT BEING GENUINE.
I'm referring to the first chapter of 1John

That idea is inserted into the passage and we are just supposed to except that it is inferred.

The best example of this is the conversion of Simon the Sorcerer.
Acts 8:9,
- but there was a certain man named Simon the Sorcerer which before time in the city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria giving out that himself was some great one

Skip to,
Acts 8:12-13,
- but when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ they were baptized both men and women
-Then Simon himself believed  also and when he was baptized he continued with Philip and wondered beholding the miracles and signs which were done

Since Simon later sins and falls from Gods grace he is told by Peter to repent of his wickedness(sin).

So the OSAS group always deny the Simon had true faith.
They claim his belief was not genuine and that is why Peter told him to repent.

The problem with this is,
THE BIBLE SAID HE BELIEVED IN THE GOSPEL THAT PHILIP PREACHED.
The Bible says nothing about his faith not being genuine.

So the OSAS group once again tells everyone they are to just accept and infer that Simon did not really believe.

The Bible states he believed
OSAS folks say he did not.

I'm going to Believe what the Bible says not what some man tells me what to believe.

Simon was saved and told to repent,
Acts 8:22-23

Funny that Peter did not tell him to believe on Jesus.

Peter taught Simon exactly what John teaches Christians who sin in 1John 1:9,
- if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

That is how CHRISTIANS get back in Gods good grace.

Love you friend
I know brother....it's hard to watch folks trying to make the bible say things it isn't saying in order to support an erroneous doctrine. But I love these brothers in the Lord and have no doubt that they belong to Him. I hate arguing about OSAS. It's hard to reconcile what seem like contradictions in the bible sometimes, wish I could do it better on this subject. In the meantime I just accept everything as written and trust the Lord knows what He means. Warnings and admonitions in scripture are there for our good, we need to take them to heart and not try to explain them away with our carnal minds.

Our faith is being proven....tested and tried. And it ain't over til it's over. Will we prove to be good fish or some of the bad fish that get thrown back.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
From heaven's point of view, I agree. Like the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world.....though it didn't happen in the realm of time until the first century. Bible says we are foreknown by God. These things are hard to grasp though....hard to fathom how the Lord sees things outside the realm of time. I wonder if this has a bearing on things written about the fate of lost souls as well.
I think that people have a hard time with my way of seeing things because I have an eternal mindset. I'm an eternal type of person. Not knowing people according to the flesh...but in their true eternal state. Why rebuke and reprove? To get people (back?) into an eternal state...according to eternal reality. Not a religious dogmatic mindset...no...a broken up soul that allows the eternal light to shine in.

The fact that this is SO outside of convention shows the nature of the modern church...superficial and dead. Resisting any help...grieving the Spirit.

The only true fellowship in the Lord we can have is to know and see one another from that eternal mind...who we are in the inner man...IF we have anything there that isn't in bondage to the flesh. Otherwise that person needs to be reproved, rebuked and corrected as their outer man justifies something that God abhors. A false balance is abomination with God. Bearing a false witness...contrived through indoctrination...is a punishable offense.

Are we among brethren? Not really. There is war...the Spirit against the flesh, and the flesh against the Spirit.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Titus said: So now you are teaching God takes away the freewill of the ones He saves. No He does not.
Straw man argument.

Christians do leave Christ permanently Dan.
No, they don't. Don't confuse "nominal" or pseudo-Christians with genuine Christians. 1 John 2:19 - They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

OK, Dan so if I commit one sin I'm still practicing the truth(practicing the gospel) because it's not habitual.
That's your teaching!!!
So, if you commit one sin you are practicing sin and lost your salvation? That's you're teaching. :oops: In regard to 1 John 3:9, Greek scholar AT Robertson explains - Doeth no sin (amartian ou poiei). Linear present active indicative as in verse John 4 like amartanei in verse John 8 . The child of God does not have the habit of sin. His seed (sperma autou). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. John 1 . And he cannot sin (kai ou dunatai amartanein). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were kai ou dunatai amartein or amarthsai (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive amartanein can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of amartanei in verse John 8 and amartanwn in verse John 6 . For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see amarthte and amarth in John 2:1 . A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of amartanein here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Romans 6:1 epimenwmen th amartiai (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with amarthswmen in Romans 6:15 (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

Those who are in darkness were once in the light according to John in 1John 1:8-9,
False. More eisegesis on your part. 1 John 1:8 - the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. According to you, those who are born of God practice sin and lose their salvation, contrary to what John clearly stated. You should listen to John and not your preconceived beliefs or biased church doctrine.

Paul said Peter did not practice the truth,
Show me those exact words from Paul in scripture - "Peter did not practice the truth." According to your logic Peter is a child of the devil.

1John 1:6,
- if we say we have fellowship with God yet walk in darkness we lie AND DO NOT PRACTISE THE TRUTH(gospel),
Peter was a child of God who walked in the light and not in darkness. Having a temporary weak moment did not place Peter back in darkness in order to walk in darkness. (continuous action) Those who say (key word) they have fellowship with God yet walk in darkness lie and do not practice the truth. Descriptive of "nominal" or pseudo-Christians who are children of the devil.

1John 1:6 cont.
 - but if we(Christians like Peter) walk in the light(practise the truth) as Jesus is in the light we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin
Speaking collectively to the entire group of 'professing' Christians with "nominal" Christians mixed in. (1 John 1:6-10; 1 John 2:9-11; 1 John 3:7-10) Hence, WE. You continue to miss the contrast between genuine Christians and "nominal" or pseudo-Christians that John makes.

1John 1:9,
- if we(Christian's that once did not practice the truth, walked in darkness as Peter) confess our sins God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness
More blatant eisegesis on your part. You end up discarding 1 John 1:8 and 1 John 1:10 in order to reach your biased, flawed conclusion here in an effort to accommodate your biased church doctrine.

Yes, the Greek in 1John 1:6,
- if we should say that fellowship we have with Him and yet in the darkness should walk we lie and not  practise the truth
If we say we have fellowship (but really don't - demonstrative evidence) yet we walk in darkness we lie (about having fellowship with Him) and do not practice (lifestyle or bent of life) the truth. Who walks in darkness? Children of God or children of the devil? 1 John 2:9 - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. Notice the contrast? Also notice the contrast between children of God and children of the devil in 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

Greek word here for practise is poieo,
Strongs concordance: make, manufacture, construct, I do, act, cause

Thayers Greek lexicon,
To make, to produce, construct, form, fashion, to make a path,
To labor to do work, exercise, activity,
To make one do a thing
To cause one to
To be the author of a thing
To carry out, to execute
To accomplish
To commit
To perform
See 1 John 3:6-9 from Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament from the link below:

CONTINUED...

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Titus said: 1John 1:6 does not specify the time period of the sins.
It only states when one stops practicing the truth.
Then one must confess their sins
Show me the word stops practicing the truth in 1 John 1:6. More eisegesis on your part AGAIN. This is what happens when you subscribe to works-righteousness. Salvation for you is basically probation WITH an endless revolving door of walking in the light (committed a sin) now back to walking in darkness (confess) now back to walking in the light again. Saved, sin, lost salvation, confess, regained salvation. It's no wonder folks like you live in fear and bondage to IN-security. If your eternal security is not resting solely in Christ, then you will turn to self and remain insecure.

The Problem Dan is 1John 1:9,
John never says those who need to confess their sins are HABITUAL sinners.
It only says we(christians) must confess our sins when we sin.
Once again, notice that - "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9) is in contrast to - If we say that we have no sin, (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (1 John 1:8) and - If we say that we have not sinned, (past tense) we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:10)

JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION: WHY DOES JOHN NOT TELL THESE SUPPOSED NON-CHRISTIANS TO BELIEVE IN JESUS?
WHY IN 1John 1:9,
So, you actually believe that those who say they have no sin and say they have not sinned are Christians? :oops: In contrast with those who confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

JOHN TELLS THEM TO REPENT OF SINS BY CONFESSING THEM?
If they were not christians as you claim John would have told them to believe on Christ not repent of their sins by confessing them!!!
You can make assumptions all you want, yet John clearly draws a contrast between genuine Christians and "nominal" or pseudo Christians in 1 John 1:6-10.

Now we move to a different chapter,
Again you interpret this as if it is IMPOSSIBLE for a born again believer to practise habitual sin.
Joh said it. 1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God practices sin.. Is that not clear enough for you?

You are teaching God takes away the freewill of a born again Christian.
NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE IS THIS TAUGHT.
Enough with the straw man arguments. John explains why those who are born of God do not practice habitual sin...because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Hebrews 3:12,
- beware brethren(born again) lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in  departing from the living GodThe lost cannot depart from God Dan!!!! They are already seperated from Him walking in darkness. This passage is speaking to christians. It refutes your belief that Christians have no ability to practise habitual sin.
Your continued eisegesis is really getting old. These faltering Hebrews who end up departing from God after beginning with some level of confidence and profession of loyalty, but then later depart from the God with an evil heart of unbelief still departed, even though they were not genuine believers, but they were still mixed in with genuine believers. Future perseverance is proof of genuine conversion.

*Jude 1:5 - Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. Not stopped believing but DID NOT BELIEVE.

In Hebrews 3:14, we read - For we have become [meaning we have become already] partakers of Christ, (demonstrative evidence) if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end. Notice that this is essentially a repeat of verse 6, where we read: but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house - whose house we are, (demonstrative evidence) if we hold fast our confidence firm to the end.

*Notice that the wording is not - "and you will become partakers of Christ (future indicative) if you (future indicative) hold the beginning of your confidence steadfast to the end. It is rather - "you have been, and now are, partakers of Christ, (demonstrative evidence) if in the future you hold fast the beginning of your confidence steadfast to the end.

You have a theology that teaches OSAS.
That doctrine is true IF you are truly saved to begin with. (Psalm 37:28; John 6:38-40; 10:27-29; Romans 8:30; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; 2 Corinthians 5:5; Ephesians 1:13-14; 4:30; Philippians 1:6; 1 Peter 1:5; Jude 1:1 etc..).

All you are doing is molding the Scriptures in the shape of your theology.
Oh, the irony. :rolleyes: I properly harmonize Scripture with Scripture before reaching my conclusion on doctrine.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are we among brethren? Not really. There is war...the Spirit against the flesh, and the flesh against the Spirit.
YES!!!! AMEN!!!..what a battle that was nearly killed me , thank God he brought my flesh under control, my opinion .....do you think many of us understand what this means,Epi?

Galatians 5:16-17

New International Version

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[a]you want.

Last edited:

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How does one meet this state to be counted worthy?
Well to start with watch and pray, brother, as that scripture is saying. And all the other teachings and admonitions in the bible. Make our calling and election sure, endure to the end, he who overcomes, etc.

We can never be worthy in our own right, but it is in order to be accounted/reckoned worthy. It's like Jesus paid the price for us that we could never pay....but we do have our part in counting whatever it costs us to be faithful on our side.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You missed the whole point

They were of us
They left us
They left to prove they were never of us.
They now deny Christ (hence they are called antichrist - against-Christ)

these people were not believers/saved then walked away and lost salvation.

they never had it,.
Only in a manner of speaking and speaking in spirit. I think from God's point of view it's only "as though" He never knew them and that they were "never of us", if they don't prove faithful and true to the end, since He already foreknew their end from their beginning. Hard to explain, hard to grasp.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
YES!!!! AMEN!!!..what a battle that was nearly killed me , thank God he brought my flesh under control, my opinion .....do you think many of us understand what this means,Epi?

All I can do or we can do is appeal to the part of people that God is after...the inward man. I would say that most modern believers are not really in much contact with their inward person because the popular religion tries to entice the entire person...especially the flesh. If a church fails to attract the soulish person...then they will go elsewhere...and be counted among them. Modern churches are based on numbers...and money. No disciples there...or very few. One has to go directly to God...to seek the Lord and His life...

The church is supposed to help people be weaned of the flesh...not molly-coddle it. The church is supposed to be a helper into holiness. When we love the brethren in an eternal way...we are strengthened (edified) in an eternal way. This is sowing to the Spirit...into life.

God is not looking for beliefs and acceptance....He wants faith and love that is willing to suffer loss in the temporal things to get to eternal riches. That takes faith....suffering with joy takes faith. :)

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All I can do or we can do is appeal to the part of people that God is after...the inward man. I would say that most modern believers are not really in much contact with their inward person because the popular religion tries to entice the entire person...especially the flesh. If a church fails to attract the soulish person...then they will go elsewhere...and be counted among them. Modern churches are based on numbers...and money. No disciples there...or very few. One has to go directly to God...to seek the Lord and His life...

The church is supposed to help people be weaned of the flesh...not molly-coddle it. The church is supposed to be a helper into holiness. When we love the brethren in an eternal way...we are strengthened (edified) in an eternal way. This is sowing to the Spirit...into life.

God is not looking for beliefs and acceptance....He wants faith and love that is willing to suffer loss in the temporal things to get to eternal riches. That takes faith....suffering with joy takes faith. :)
Well explained,Epi, thank you,xx

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A born again Believer can't be separated from God.

A born again Believer can't stop being born again.

So, Guess again, @Episkopos
Romans 8:8 - So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Praise God! :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A born again Believer can't be separated from God.

A born again Believer can't stop being born again.

So, Guess again, @Episkopos
Thank you for your human logic. But it isn't truthful or biblical. The original people of God...the Jews can't become unJew can they?...and yet not all are Israel who are of Israel. If they were rejected so can we be..even easier! Do you know Pauline doctrine? Not really. Paul says that we should fear because we can be cut off as they were.

You may not have noticed where Jesus says to many who claim Him as Lord...go away, I never knew you. Bibles don't make an eternal connection to God. That is by the Spirit. Read your bible.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dan believes in OSAS

To bring it back a little, on topic...

Well, I also noted and referenced the scripture you were using, 1 John1:1-10. You know it's not about initial salvation or one's present state in Christ at all. If and when directed to someone who is being saved today, by the Spirit, as it applies to them personally, it speaks to their sanctification or holiness in Christ and of God, walking in the light or darkness or somewhere in between. Now never be confused with the unbeliever, would does not know of righteous works or holiness as they walk always in the dark, even the pious, civically minded and honorable people.

For a believer, when first saved, we are given by the Spirit of God, holiness or sanctification, and the ability to perform righteous works that are pleasing to God. Although, many do not begin or always continue to experience this holiness, with righteous works they now possess.

The Spirit convicts them of real sin and they should then obey and confess it.

For many, It's like saying, well I'm a citizen of the Kingdom of God and with this citizenship I get holiness for righteous works of the spirit; isn't that great!. Now what? And then many stop there, some fumble and figure it out along the way, eventually, and some have a slow constant walk in the half light or 'half light to darkness as they are being saved. They are missing out of the Spirit-filled life with God in the Kingdom, that they forget, they are its citizens.

So, John is saying to 'experience' this benefit of holiness we must confess real specific personal sins in our life, not in general, as to all people, that keeps us from having a closer fellowship with God and even other believers. And in experiencing the Kingdom and its eternal glory. And the use of walking in the 'light' or 'darkness' is used to convey that in perfection we are always in the light, and that is impossible to do in our current state, and then in darkness at times, when harboring unconfessed sin.

Now to condemn someone they are not saved, or to be in a constant state of fear and in trembling, of losing it, by the very Spirit that God gave to someone intentionally, that because of some unconfessed sin, is really unforgiveable....and the use of this word is intentional.

This subject scripture, if used to condemn or to cast doubt on a believers faith and their salvation is not only very much misplaced, it can instill unnecessary fear, and be devasting to a new believer. It should never be done for this purpose.

(1Jn 1:1) That which existed from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we saw and our hands handled, concerning the word of life.
(1Jn 1:2) The life was manifested and we have seen and testify and declare to you the life, the eternal life, which existed with the Father and was manifested to us.
(1Jn 1:3) What we have seen and heard, we declare to you also, so that you may also have fellowship with us. Yes, and our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.
(1Jn 1:4) And these things we write, that your joy may be made full. Life in the Light
(1Jn 1:5) And this is the message which we have heard from him and announce to you: That God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.
(1Jn 1:6) If we say that we have fellowship with Him and walk in the darkness, we lie and not do the truth.
(1Jn 1:7) But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. ..................................(every time, automatic)
(1Jn 1:8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
(1Jn 1:9) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1Jn 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.