Eucharist !?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
why is it easy for some and difficult for others to accept that it is more than just mouldy old dough but manna from heaven - imho a photo of me or even two different photos of me is not me for I am not my photo/s or my body - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Your illistration is a god one against your view point.
Just as a photo of you is not you, so a piece of bread is not Jesus.

a piece of bread is mouldy old dough without the extra holy ingredient that turns communion into holy communion as manna from heaven - twinc

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
a piece of bread is mouldy old dough without the extra holy ingredient that turns communion into holy communion as manna from heaven - twinc

That's where we differ. I remember what Jesus did for me and is doing for me. The brerad is just bread, the wine is just fruit juice. Nothing changes except I am confronted yet again with the awefullnes and the splendour of my saviours sacrifice for me.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Miracle of Lanciano is consecrated Bread and Wine turned into real Flesh and real Blood and hasn't decomposed after 1200 years!

Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

The early Church Fathers are indispensable resources for helping to bridge the gap between our own time and the age of the apostles. Not only do they provide extrabiblical verification of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, they also provide a great deal of insight into what the early Christians believed and how they interpreted Scripture.

Ignatius lived from around A.D. 35 to 107. He was the third bishop of Antioch and tradition records that he was a disciple of the apostle John (cf. The Maryrdom of Ignatius). During the reign of Emperor Trajan, he was taken to Rome and suffered martyrdom there. Along the way he wrote seven letters—one to St. Polycarp of Smyrna, and six others to various churches.

Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God… They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, Flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes.
Letter to the Smyrnaeans, Ch 6
Here Ignatius equates the Eucharist to the same flesh of Christ that suffered for our sake on the cross. Jesus also uses this literal comparison when he explained, “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh” (John 6:51).

Ignatius also explains that the Eucharist must be administered either by a bishop or one of his ordained ministers:

Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is administered either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it.
Letter to the Smyrnaeans, Ch 8​
Apologetics with St. Ignatius of Antioch | Catholic Answers

Jesus taught the Apostles, John handed down to Ignatius, Ignatius handed down to his ordained what John taught him, and this teaching has not changed in 2000 years because the historic Church does not have the authority to change it.

Last edited by a moderator: