What's your purpose at a forum such as this?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What's your purpose at a forum such as this?​

I have come here to speak well of God. He gets such poor press in both the World and from many who claim to believe in him.
The 'World' generally dismisses him as a relic of uninformed thinking and the 'religious' paint him as one who is gearing up to torture all and any who don't go along with their view of him.

Jesus of Nazareth has been displaced with a Jesus of their imagination and the wonder of God visiting our planet in human form so that we can see his glory (self sacrificing attitude) and serve us, has been misrepresented as one who is coming to get the 'baddies' and give them what for.....deliberately forgetting that they too qualify as 'baddies' (sinners)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come here to speak well of God. He gets such poor press in both the World and from many who claim to believe in him.
The 'World' generally dismisses him as a relic of uninformed thinking and the 'religious' paint him as one who is gearing up to torture all and any who don't go along with their view of him.
And so, "The name of God is blasphemed among the nations because of you" (Romans 2:24). Except now, "you" is "us".:(

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • You're lonely or bored and forums are a substitute for actual human contact? (I'm a bit of an urban hermit myself.)
Kind of this?

Most of my actual human contact is with people who aren't going to have an interesting discussion with me about the Bible or theology. I like to say that I'm here to have conversations.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On "The Happy Thread," of all places, @Matthias aptly described internet forums as "notoriously toxic environments." Bingo.

I participated for years on one forum, having nothing to do with religion (the JFK assassination, actually) where we were required to use our actual names, actual photos and actual educational credentials, all subject to verification. Was it any less toxic? Nooooo. Forums about embroidery, houseplants and "How to Achieve Peace of Mind" are equally toxic.

I look back now on the very first forum on which I ever participated - IANDS - some 27 years ago. I thought "Wow, this is GREAT! Direct mind-to-mind communication without all the silliness that gets in the way." Uh, no, as I quickly realized. Things became so heated at our little Near-Death Experience forum that IANDS pulled the plug.

In fact, over the years what I call the "psychology and dynamics" of forums have become almost more interesting to me than the topics being discussed. There are lots of reasons for this toxicity, but's that not the purpose of this thread.

The question here is, "What's your purpose?"

I can articulate mine: (1) I'm a professional writer and forums are one outlet now that I'm retired; (2) I post for myself, to help organize and refine my own thinking; and (3) I regard all forums as huge Monty Python skits, simply fun to observe and perhaps egg things on a bit.

If I ever started to take any forum too seriously, to allow it to make me upset or angry, I'd move on. I'm not a masochist.

What might be other purposes? You tell me.
  • You hope to actually learn something? (You're a rare bird if that's your purpose.)
  • Christian fellowship? (Oh, dear, you are a masochist.)
  • You think you have unique insights into God's truth and want to share them with others?-
  • You hope to persuade/browbeat/outshout others into accepting your views?
  • You're lonely or bored and forums are a substitute for actual human contact? (I'm a bit of an urban hermit myself.)
  • You just like to argue about anything and everything? (Well, yes, that too.)
  • The cloak of anonymity allows you to be the real you or at least the you you'd like to be?
  • You're looking for love in all the wrong places?
  • All of the above?
It seems to me that clarifying for yourself "Why am I here?" might be a useful exercise and might even reduce the toxicity. Although, I must say, the toxicity can be fun if you recognize the Monty Python aspect.
Well said.

I arrived in these type forums so to fellowship with like minded people.
Discussing the scriptures led me to learn more about them.

The naivety was abandoned after a time when I realized evil people,punks,mockers, atheists, Satanists, bratts pretending to be adults , would find their way in.

I'd thought Christians would gravitate to communities reserved for them. I never imagined when I first entered Christian communities that the Devil's own would find their way in. And worse in many cases, be let to remain. Or,really worse, were moderators and/or Admin.

The sites that are strict and allow no such thing are either dead,or dying, due to lack of interest.

Isn't that incredible? Christian communities that hold to a strict moral Biblical code for member posting and conduct die due to lack of Christians interest?

MP was unique. In today's wacky world it would never see the light of day on network TV in America.

"Always look on the bright side of life...." :hmhehm :jest:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well said.

I arrived in these type forums so to fellowship with like minded people.
Discussing the scriptures led me to learn more about them.

The naivety was abandoned after a time when I realized evil people,punks,mockers, atheists, Satanists, bratts pretending to be adults , would find their way in.

I'd thought Christians would gravitate to communities reserved for them. I never imagined when I first entered Christian communities that the Devil's own would find their way in. And worse in many cases, be let to remain. Or,really worse, were moderators and/or Admin.

The sites that are strict and allow no such thing are either dead,or dying, due to lack of interest.

Isn't that incredible? Christian communities that hold to a strict moral Biblical code for member posting and conduct die due to lack of Christians interest?

MP was unique. In today's wacky world it would never see the light of day on network TV in America.

"Always look on the bright side of life...." :hmhehm :jest:
I recall this board had a different format when I joined over 13 years ago. Also recalled is my early engagement at that time with a member who saw no problem with his being a professing Christian and a Freemason.

He argued strongly against the information I presented to prove his position untenable.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I recall this board had a different format when I joined over 13 years ago. Also recalled is my early engagement at that time with a member who saw no problem with his being a professing Christian and a Freemason.

He argued strongly against the information I presented for the purpose of proving his position untenable.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How's that working for you, at this time of climate and culture change?
Pretty well. I found the idiots first (or they found me?) and blocked them. Then I found the people who could actually hold a conversation. Maybe I just don't see the toxicity because of the blocking, but I enjoy my time here.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He argued strongly against the information I presented to prove his position untenable.
I have a Mason in my family who is also a Christian.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can articulate mine: (1) I'm a professional writer and forums are one outlet now that I'm retired; (2) I post for myself, to help organize and refine my own thinking; and (3) I regard all forums as huge Monty Python skits, simply fun to observe and perhaps egg things on a bit.

If I ever started to take any forum too seriously, to allow it to make me upset or angry, I'd move on. I'm not a masochist.

Sadly-- after clearly stating his purpose for being here--- he was banned from here and I don't quite understand why.

Is this a place where folks cannot simply agree to disagree at times? @Ritajanice -- your thread is on point!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On "The Happy Thread," of all places, @Matthias aptly described internet forums as "notoriously toxic environments." Bingo.

I participated for years on one forum, having nothing to do with religion (the JFK assassination, actually) where we were required to use our actual names, actual photos and actual educational credentials, all subject to verification. Was it any less toxic? Nooooo. Forums about embroidery, houseplants and "How to Achieve Peace of Mind" are equally toxic.

I look back now on the very first forum on which I ever participated - IANDS - some 27 years ago. I thought "Wow, this is GREAT! Direct mind-to-mind communication without all the silliness that gets in the way." Uh, no, as I quickly realized. Things became so heated at our little Near-Death Experience forum that IANDS pulled the plug.

In fact, over the years what I call the "psychology and dynamics" of forums have become almost more interesting to me than the topics being discussed. There are lots of reasons for this toxicity, but's that not the purpose of this thread.

What might be other purposes? You tell me.
  • You hope to actually learn something? (You're a rare bird if that's your purpose.)
  • Christian fellowship? (Oh, dear, you are a masochist.)
  • You think you have unique insights into God's truth and want to share them with others?-
  • You hope to persuade/browbeat/outshout others into accepting your views?
  • You just like to argue about anything and everything? (Well, yes, that too.)
  • The cloak of anonymity allows you to be the real you or at least the you you'd like to be?
  • You're looking for love in all the wrong places?
  • All of the above?
It seems to me that clarifying for yourself "Why am I here?" might be a useful exercise and might even reduce the toxicity. Although, I must say, the toxicity can be fun if you recognize the Monty Python aspect.

Hello O'Darby, To be honest, and to be open-minded with others.

Love, Walter

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr E

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why am I here? Well, let's see:
  • I'm a rufugee from another Christian forum that was closed down, and this has become my new home.
  • I enjoy discussing events and topics with others from a Christian perspective.
  • I like to share things I've learned over the years.
  • I sometimes have a lot of free time at work, so I come here to kill time. In fact, I'm writing this while at work now.
I guess that about sums it up. I don't engage in debates too often, as they tend to be counterproductive and neither side rarely ever convinces the other. Sometimes I'll jump into the fray when I'm feeling frisky. It doesn't accomplish much except learning to support my position better, which isn't a total waste. Iron sharpens iron, after all.

Regarding the nature of forums, people tend to lose all inhibitions due to the anonymity and lack of accountability of the internet. That's just a reflection of human nature, I suppose. Having good mods is important. This forum does fairly well with little supervision. There are a few posters I would consider dubious, but overall, I can't complain.

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Where I am there isn't a predisposition to discuss religious topics. Joining a forum such as this is suppose to join people from all walks of life sharing one faith to then share with one another.

Reactions: marks and Pearl

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think about that?
I think he knew his relationship with God far better than I. And when God knows his name,that's all that matters.

It could be asked,how do you know God knows Bob's name?

Bob died yesterday.

His funeral is Saturday. Bob will know. God will know.
All Christians are in that same boat. We know God's name. Whether he knows ours or not,for a fact,is a matter of faith. Until we die. And then,we shall know the truth.