What's your purpose at a forum such as this?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On "The Happy Thread," of all places, @Matthias aptly described internet forums as "notoriously toxic environments." Bingo.

I participated for years on one forum, having nothing to do with religion (the JFK assassination, actually) where we were required to use our actual names, actual photos and actual educational credentials, all subject to verification. Was it any less toxic? Nooooo. Forums about embroidery, houseplants and "How to Achieve Peace of Mind" are equally toxic.

I look back now on the very first forum on which I ever participated - IANDS - some 27 years ago. I thought "Wow, this is GREAT! Direct mind-to-mind communication without all the silliness that gets in the way." Uh, no, as I quickly realized. Things became so heated at our little Near-Death Experience forum that IANDS pulled the plug.

In fact, over the years what I call the "psychology and dynamics" of forums have become almost more interesting to me than the topics being discussed. There are lots of reasons for this toxicity, but's that not the purpose of this thread.

The question here is, "What's your purpose?"

I can articulate mine: (1) I'm a professional writer and forums are one outlet now that I'm retired; (2) I post for myself, to help organize and refine my own thinking; and (3) I regard all forums as huge Monty Python skits, simply fun to observe and perhaps egg things on a bit.

If I ever started to take any forum too seriously, to allow it to make me upset or angry, I'd move on. I'm not a masochist.

What might be other purposes? You tell me.
  • You hope to actually learn something? (You're a rare bird if that's your purpose.)
  • Christian fellowship? (Oh, dear, you are a masochist.)
  • You think you have unique insights into God's truth and want to share them with others?-
  • You hope to persuade/browbeat/outshout others into accepting your views?
  • You're lonely or bored and forums are a substitute for actual human contact? (I'm a bit of an urban hermit myself.)
  • You just like to argue about anything and everything? (Well, yes, that too.)
  • The cloak of anonymity allows you to be the real you or at least the you you'd like to be?
  • You're looking for love in all the wrong places?
  • All of the above?
It seems to me that clarifying for yourself "Why am I here?" might be a useful exercise and might even reduce the toxicity. Although, I must say, the toxicity can be fun if you recognize the Monty Python aspect.

• Haha
Reactions: BlessedPeace

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure "eclectic" is an answer. :) I have to remind my wife 20 times a day that when I ask something like whether she wants to go to Safeway now, "I don't know" really isn't an answer. Since you are selective, you must have some notion of your purpose(s) on the threads where you choose to participate?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup. I tend to stay away from end times threads. I like to fellowship with fellow believers and delve into debate threads. Iron sharpens iron.

The toxic factor has to do I think with 2 things: taking things personally and not being in the same room, which avoids getting punched in the mouth for disrespect. That’s a Mike Tyson quote.

The thing that I’ve noticed people take personally is doctrine. It’s funny to me that some people cannot recognize their argument is inferior. Anyone can see this as they resort to name calling, personal attack or invoke some other fallacy.

Reactions: Nancy and O'Darby

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The toxic factor has to do I think with 2 things: taking things personally and not being in the same room, which avoids getting punched in the mouth for disrespect. That’s a Mike Tyson quote.
To derail my own thread, that is my favorite Tyson quote:

Interviewer: "Holyfield says he has a plan to beat you."

Tyson: "Everybody has a plan until he gets punched in the mouth."

It's interesting how many heavyweight fighters were philosophers.

Reactions: Wrangler

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What's your purpose at a forum such as this?​

My coming to know God and my salvation experience was not unlike Paul's road to Damascus experience. I was touched and tasked by God to put an end...well, to everything. Yet first comes the fulfillment of "the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets" Revelation 10:7, and being guided "into all truth" by the Holy Spirit John 16:13, after "false teachers" have entered into the church causing many to believe a "lie" 2 Peter 2:1 / 2 Thessalonians 2:11. Which has me here correcting and revealing things not before understood.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My coming to know God and my salvation experience was not unlike Paul's road to Damascus experience. I was touched and tasked by God to put an end...well, to everything. Yet first comes the fulfillment of "the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets" Revelation 10:7, and being guided "into all truth" by the Holy Spirit John 16:13, after "false teachers" have entered into the church causing many to believe a "lie" 2 Peter 2:1 / 2 Thessalonians 2:11. Which has me here correcting and revealing things not before understood.
OK, good - so you view your participation as a mission. A great reason! I've sometimes felt "inspired" when I contribute, although no one else seems to agree! :Broadly: It's a difficult line to walk - speaking the truth as you feel inspired to speak it without locking horns with others who think they are doing the same thing.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On "The Happy Thread," of all places, @Matthias aptly described internet forums as "notoriously toxic environments." Bingo.

I participated for years on one forum, having nothing to do with religion (the JFK assassination, actually) where we were required to use our actual names, actual photos and actual educational credentials, all subject to verification. Was it any less toxic? Nooooo. Forums about embroidery, houseplants and "How to Achieve Peace of Mind" are equally toxic.

I look back now on the very first forum on which I ever participated - IANDS - some 27 years ago. I thought "Wow, this is GREAT! Direct mind-to-mind communication without all the silliness that gets in the way." Uh, no, as I quickly realized. Things became so heated at our little Near-Death Experience forum that IANDS pulled the plug.

In fact, over the years what I call the "psychology and dynamics" of forums have become almost more interesting to me than the topics being discussed. There are lots of reasons for this toxicity, but's that not the purpose of this thread.

The question here is, "What's your purpose?"

I can articulate mine: (1) I'm a professional writer and forums are one outlet now that I'm retired; (2) I post for myself, to help organize and refine my own thinking; and (3) I regard all forums as huge Monty Python skits, simply fun to observe and perhaps egg things on a bit.

If I ever started to take any forum too seriously, to allow it to make me upset or angry, I'd move on. I'm not a masochist.

What might be other purposes? You tell me.
  • You hope to actually learn something? (You're a rare bird if that's your purpose.)
  • Christian fellowship? (Oh, dear, you are a masochist.)
  • You think you have unique insights into God's truth and want to share them with others?-
  • You hope to persuade/browbeat/outshout others into accepting your views?
  • You're lonely or bored and forums are a substitute for actual human contact? (I'm a bit of an urban hermit myself.)
  • You just like to argue about anything and everything? (Well, yes, that too.)
  • The cloak of anonymity allows you to be the real you or at least the you you'd like to be?
  • You're looking for love in all the wrong places?
  • All of the above?
It seems to me that clarifying for yourself "Why am I here?" might be a useful exercise and might even reduce the toxicity. Although, I must say, the toxicity can be fun if you recognize the Monty Python aspect.

Monty Python is a well of wisdom in the most clever of disguises.

It's an interesting quest you've embarked upon, because certainly everyone has their own reasons. For me-- the question begs over-thinking. It's like asking someone why they go to the same coffee shop morning after morning.... umm..... for coffee?

Well, yes-- for coffee of course, but I also meet my friends there, and we sit and chat and of course I do have unique insights to share.... Oh and the little barista chick is cute and it's in the same parking lot as my gym. A host of reasons, and these can vary from day to day.

Thoughts like this below-- are quite terrifying.

I think everyone uses this board as a ministry.

But perhaps it's true.

Reactions: O'Darby

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone uses this board as a ministry.
Really? Odd that a forum full of ministers (at least in their own minds) is just as toxic as one full of, for example, cat lovers or motorcycle enthusiasts. It also seems like an odd place for ministers to peddle their wares, although I did call my blog "The Little Church of What O'Darby Believes."

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if the fact that so many people view the forum as a ministry is actually THE PROBLEM and the key to the toxicity?

For me-- the question begs over-thinking. It's like asking someone why they go to the same coffee shop morning after morning.... umm..... for coffee?
I certainly wouldn't want anyone to over-think, although the danger seems slight! :) As used to be the fad when I was in the world of work, I think we should all be required to develop and share a personal Mission Statement. Actually, I do think having at least some notion of "What I'm doing here" could be helpful to many. My little three-point summary definitely helps me keep things in perspective.

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Odd that a forum full of ministers (at least in their own minds) is just as toxic as one full of, for example, cat lovers or motorcycle enthusiasts. It also seems like an odd place for ministers to peddle their wares, although I did call my blog "The Little Church of What O'Darby Believes."

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if the fact that so many people view the forum as a ministry is actually THE PROBLEM and the key to the toxicity?

I certainly wouldn't want anyone to over-think, although the danger seems slight! :) As used to be the fad when I was in the world of work, I think we should all be required to develop and share a personal Mission Statement. Actually, I do think having at least some notion of "What I'm doing here" could be helpful to many. My little three-point summary definitely helps me keep things in perspective.

And Bingo was his name-O Darby.

• Haha
Reactions: O'Darby

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Bingo was his name-O Darby.
If you picture a large banquet hall with a hundred or so Catholic "ministers" and JW "ministers" and Southern Baptist "ministers" and Eastern Orthodox "ministers" and literalist inerrantist non-denominational "ministers" all doing their best to "minister" to one another, the Monty Python analogy is almost perfect.

I couldn't find it, but there was a great Python sketch, "Shakespeare for Parrots," where a roomful of characters are all dressed in full Shakespearean costumes but all that anyone ever says is "SQUAWK!" Yeah, sort of like that.

Reactions: Mr E

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me that clarifying for yourself "Why am I here?" might be a useful exercise and might even reduce the toxicity.
Good thread. The first Christian based forum i joined was really good. It was friendly and non argumentative and was actually mostly Christian. I still keep in touch with folk I 'met' there. Of the ones I've been on since, this is about the best in spite of the sometime 'toxicity'. And I think back when I joined my first forum there weren't so many trolls or dissenters to argue their own version of Christian doctrines.

My main reason for being on this site is for companionship with other Christians. I don't get out and nobody comes here most days so it's my way of connecting with other people. I also like to write, not books or articles but just Spirit inspired insights or poems and I like to share what God has given me in order to bless or encourage other members.

I don't like to get into fruitless arguments or speculations but enjoy reading testimonies or positive threads and posts. So that's me. My reasons for being here.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My purpose: I like talking with other folks whom also love Jesus. Simple as that.

The amount of time I spend on here varies, based on my time and threads I'm interested in. Many threads / certain posters I do just put on 'ignore'. Others I greatly enjoy.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread. The first Christian based forum i joined was really good. It was friendly and non argumentative and was actually mostly Christian. I still keep in touch with folk I 'met' there. Of the ones I've been on since, this is about the best in spite of the sometime 'toxicity'. And I think back when I joined my first forum there weren't so many trolls or dissenters to argue their own version of Christian doctrines.

My main reason for being on this site is for companionship with other Christians. I don't get out and nobody comes here most days so it's my way of connecting with other people. I also like to write, not books or articles but just Spirit inspired insights or poems and I like to share what God has given me in order to bless or encourage other members.

I don't like to get into fruitless arguments or speculations but enjoy reading testimonies or positive threads and posts. So that's me. My reasons for being here.
I agree that this one is on the less-toxic end of the spectrum for sure. Partly, it seems to me, because the moderators don't seem to favor or promote cliques.
My purpose: I like talking with other folks whom also love Jesus. Simple as that.

The amount of time I spend on here varies, based on my time and threads I'm interested in. Many threads / certain posters I do just put on 'ignore'. Others I greatly enjoy.
Yes, the Ignore function can be a blessing. I haven't put anyone here on Ignore, but at the atheist-dominated forum I recently left at least half the people had earned that honor! Oh, well, they were Ignoramuses anyway. :)

Reactions: Pearl

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Ever wonder why Jesus never told the folks, 'now listen here, I'm from the realm of heaven; I've come here to tell you what you don't know; I have that right because of who I am ?

• Haha
Reactions: Jay Ross

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Self focus has been the human issue since early times.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Maybe I've decided Internet Forums are less toxic than their In-person counterparts.

What's your purpose at a forum such as this? When I joined this one 15 years ago I was curious to learn what was out there in "forumland".

Now I wait for interesting topics to engage me. No grand ambition or agenda.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever wonder why Jesus never told the folks, 'now listen here, I'm from the realm of heaven; I've come here to tell you what you don't know; I have that right because of who I am ?

No, but He did ask them why they didn't know.