What's your purpose at a forum such as this?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how is it that Jesus the Majesty of Heaven didn't blow his own trumpet while you do?

I could quote Jesus and more than a few sent by God, giving their unblowing trumpet witness. But why should I entertain futility--when you apparently already missed their's?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
a
I could quote Jesus and more than a few sent by God, giving their unblowing trumpet witness. But why should I entertain futility--when you apparently already missed their's?
Are you not conscious of your own self importance?....it's difficult to digest!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a

Are you not conscious of your own self importance?....it's difficult to digest!

You scoffers--I could ask you an even greater question:

Why is it that since you have read and heard the same as all who call themselves Christian, that you have not seen or recognized in those things, and by whom testimony has been given, that you should expect something similar, let alone what is specifically written?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you picture a large banquet hall with a hundred or so Catholic "ministers" and JW "ministers" and Southern Baptist "ministers" and Eastern Orthodox "ministers" and literalist inerrantist non-denominational "ministers" all doing their best to "minister" to one another, the Monty Python analogy is almost perfect.

I couldn't find it, but there was a great Python sketch, "Shakespeare for Parrots," where a roomful of characters are all dressed in full Shakespearean costumes but all that anyone ever says is "SQUAWK!" Yeah, sort of like that.

Sounds about right.

A large banquet hall of Bible Clubs. Then they go around hitting each other.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If you picture a large banquet hall with a hundred or so Catholic "ministers" and JW "ministers" and Southern Baptist "ministers" and Eastern Orthodox "ministers" and literalist inerrantist non-denominational "ministers" all doing their best to "minister" to one another, the Monty Python analogy is almost perfect.

I couldn't find it, but there was a great Python sketch, "Shakespeare for Parrots," where a roomful of characters are all dressed in full Shakespearean costumes but all that anyone ever says is "SQUAWK!" Yeah, sort of like that.
Wow! Roll out the subversive comedy and satire!

Google Quote:

The Monty Python comedy troupe, known for their irreverent and groundbreaking humor, included several members who identified as atheists. Let’s explore the cast and crew:
  1. Graham Chapman:
  2. John Cleese:
  3. Terry Gilliam:
  4. Eric Idle:
  5. Michael Palin:
  6. Terry Jones:
  7. Other Collaborators:
    • Connie Booth, who played The Witch, was also part of the Monty Python universe.
    • Carol Cleveland, often referred to as the “seventh Python,” appeared in numerous sketches.
    • Neil Innes, though not a core member, collaborated closely with the group and contributed music and performances.
In summary, while not all members explicitly identified as atheists, Monty Python’s irreverent humor and willingness to challenge conventions often aligned with secular perspectives. Their legacy continues to inspire generations of comedy enthusiasts worldwide12.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You scoffers--I could ask you an even greater question:

Why is it that since you have read and heard the same as all who call themselves Christian, that you have not seen or recognized in those things, and by whom testimony has been given, that you should expect something similar, let alone what is specifically written?
sooo, you decoy with riddles and attempt to turn into mush the obvious

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sooo, you decoy with riddles and attempt to turn into mush the obvious

Again, when you should know better that "here a little there a little" over millennia declaring the truth in parables by both donkeys and kings is God's way--you scoff.

Scoffers will scoff. :(

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Again, when you should know better that "here a little there a little" over millennia declaring the truth in parables by both donkeys and kings is God's way--you scoff.

Scoffers will scoff. :(
It appears to me that an attempt to put one's finger on a self absorbed issue, one you don't want exposed is labelled as scoffing. What can one say except that which Jesus said of those who prided themselves as 'informed', 'leave them, they are blind guides....'

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears to me that an attempt to put one's finger on a self absorbed issue, one you don't want exposed is labelled as scoffing. What can one say except that which Jesus said of those who prided themselves as 'informed', 'leave them, they are blind guides....'

Still, you scoff the regular practices of God--and why...because you harbor rivalries of self-importance and point the finger? And what is my offence...that I may know something you do not?

(Rhetorical)​

The one does not excuse the other, nor does your name-dropping scripture.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Still, you scoff the regular practices of God--and why...because you harbor rivalries of self-importance and point the finger? And what is my offence...that I may know something you do not?

(Rhetorical)​

The one does not excuse the other, nor does your name-dropping scripture.
You ask me what your offence is as if you haven't heard my comments. I find that question incredible; it's like your self absorption is so entrenched and your willingness to consider its possibility so far past the horizon of your consciousness it can not be broached.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On "The Happy Thread," of all places, @Matthias aptly described internet forums as "notoriously toxic environments." Bingo.

I participated for years on one forum, having nothing to do with religion (the JFK assassination, actually) where we were required to use our actual names, actual photos and actual educational credentials, all subject to verification. Was it any less toxic? Nooooo. Forums about embroidery, houseplants and "How to Achieve Peace of Mind" are equally toxic.

I look back now on the very first forum on which I ever participated - IANDS - some 27 years ago. I thought "Wow, this is GREAT! Direct mind-to-mind communication without all the silliness that gets in the way." Uh, no, as I quickly realized. Things became so heated at our little Near-Death Experience forum that IANDS pulled the plug.

In fact, over the years what I call the "psychology and dynamics" of forums have become almost more interesting to me than the topics being discussed. There are lots of reasons for this toxicity, but's that not the purpose of this thread.

The question here is, "What's your purpose?"

I can articulate mine: (1) I'm a professional writer and forums are one outlet now that I'm retired; (2) I post for myself, to help organize and refine my own thinking; and (3) I regard all forums as huge Monty Python skits, simply fun to observe and perhaps egg things on a bit.

If I ever started to take any forum too seriously, to allow it to make me upset or angry, I'd move on. I'm not a masochist.

What might be other purposes? You tell me.
  • You hope to actually learn something? (You're a rare bird if that's your purpose.)
  • Christian fellowship? (Oh, dear, you are a masochist.)
  • You think you have unique insights into God's truth and want to share them with others?-
  • You hope to persuade/browbeat/outshout others into accepting your views?
  • You're lonely or bored and forums are a substitute for actual human contact? (I'm a bit of an urban hermit myself.)
  • You just like to argue about anything and everything? (Well, yes, that too.)
  • The cloak of anonymity allows you to be the real you or at least the you you'd like to be?
  • You're looking for love in all the wrong places?
  • All of the above?
It seems to me that clarifying for yourself "Why am I here?" might be a useful exercise and might even reduce the toxicity. Although, I must say, the toxicity can be fun if you recognize the Monty Python aspect.

I enjoy discussing theology.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have an irritating propensity to quote myself, but I do think this from another thread this morning is relevant here:
It's a touchy subject but an undeniable reality that (1) internet forums attract and are a near-perfect outlet for seriously disturbed individuals, and (2) religion in general, and Christianity and Islam in particular, attract a significant number of seriously disturbed individuals and may exacerbate their mental issues.

Put the two together and you have a recipe for ... well, what we see on every Christian forum.

Apart from this, we all insist on a fantasy that Christianity is a monolithic entity (the "body of Christ") and that all believers are brothers and sisters. In fact, Christianity is a number of different religions, only loosely connected and in direct opposition on key doctrines, In fact, as we see every day here, many ostensible Christians literally despise those who hold differing views and even characterize them as Satanic.

Apart from this, there is good reason for the old warning against discussing religion and politics at the dinner table. Religious and political beliefs define who people are, at least in their own minds. They are the anchors of their lives. Their beliefs literally HAVE TO BE true and correct. As I'm told continually here, people insist they KNOW, they HAVE NO DOUBT - about things they can't possibly know or have no doubt.

The above are the reasons the atheists insist the world would be better if all religion were eradicated. I don't believe this is true - and it wouldn't change human nature anyway - but I can see their perspective,

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ask me what your offence is as if you haven't heard my comments. I find that question incredible; it's like your self absorption is so entrenched and your willingness to consider its possibility so far past the horizon of your consciousness it can not be broached.

My question was "rhetorical" (not really a question)...

Maybe that's a good sign--that you're not just blind, but rather lacking in comprehension.

Still, you completely disregard God's greater method of operating. These confrontations have always been about you. Sadly.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have an irritating propensity to quote myself, but I do think this from another thread this morning is relevant here:
Apart from this, we all insist on a fantasy that Christianity is a monolithic entity (the "body of Christ") and that all believers are brothers and sisters. In fact, Christianity is a number of different religions, only loosely connected and in direct opposition on key doctrines, In fact, as we see every day here, many ostensible Christians literally despise those who hold differing views and even characterize them as Satanic.

This (above) is the issue at its core. Satan is indeed among us. Even Jesus had to call him out in addressing Peter.

Which, then, is perhaps an entirely different matter that we should rather understand and deal with. One can usually tell. Satan has his ways, and has historically been against God even within the camp of His own people: It is the spirit of anti-Christ and being against God, that caused the fathers of Israel to kill the prophets sent to them, and then to even crucify their Messiah.

Much has changed since the cross, unfortunately for the gentiles, we will not have it better than Israel--Peter foretold of it, saying:

"But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction." 2 Peter 2:1
...As did Paul, warning and prophesying against "strong delusion" and great apostacy.

As for atheists, they are not likely to see the forest for these Christian trees, but are also given the choice, even on their own terms.

Last edited:

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am on the forum to hear theological insights and perspectives. Secondarily because I enjoy the drama and psychological dynamics. I marvel at how soft the snowflakes fall on each other, while the mentally muscled-up bar fighters joust with their sabers of smoke. They fight until they are out of breath or defensive positions. Then there are the damaged and helpless pleading and conniving for their perverse fabrications to be magically accepted and made biblical. It's manifoldly educating and great theater.

• Haha
Reactions: Wynona