Eves emotional drive, desired the fruit, and disobeyed God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”The snake was the most clever of all the wild animals that the Lord God had made.

The snake spoke to the woman and said, “Woman, did God really tell you that you must not eat from any tree in the garden?”

The woman answered the snake, “No, we can eat fruit from the trees in the garden. But there is one tree we must not eat from.

God told us, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden. You must not even touch that tree, or you will die.’”

But the snake said to the woman, “You will not die. God knows that if you eat the fruit from that tree you will learn about good and evil, and then you will be like God!”

The woman could see that the tree was beautiful and the fruit looked so good to eat. She also liked the idea that it would make her wise.

So she took some of the fruit from the tree and ate it. Her husband was there with her, so she gave him some of the fruit, and he ate it.

Then it was as if their eyes opened, and they saw things differently. They saw that they were naked.

So they got some fig leaves, sewed them together, and wore them for clothes.

During the cool part of the day, the Lord God was walking in the garden.

The man and the woman heard him, and they hid among the trees in the garden. The Lord God called to the man and said, “Where are you?”

The man said, “I heard you walking in the garden, and I was afraid. I was naked, so I hid.”

God said to the man, “Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat fruit from that special tree? I told you not to eat from that tree!”

The man said, “The woman you put here with me gave me fruit from that tree. So I ate it.”

Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What have you done?”

She said, “The snake tricked me, so I ate the fruit.”

So the Lord God said to the snake, “You did this very bad thing, so bad things will happen to you. It will be worse for you than for any other animal. You must crawl on your belly and eat dust all the days of your life. I will make you and the woman enemies to each other. Your children and her children will be enemies. You will bite her child’s foot, but he will crush your head.”

Then God said to the woman, “I will cause you to have much trouble when you are pregnant. And when you give birth to children, you will have much pain. You will want your husband very much, but he will rule over you.”

Then God said to the man, “I commanded you not to eat from that tree. But you listened to your wife and ate from it.

So I will curse the ground because of you. You will have to work hard all your life for the food the ground produces.

The ground will grow thorns and weeds for you. And you will have to eat the plants that grow wild in the fields. You will work hard for your food, until your face is covered with sweat. You will work hard until the day you die, and then you will become dust again. I used dust to make you, and when you die, you will become dust again.”

Adam named his wife Eve.

He gave her this name because Eve would be the mother of everyone who ever lived.

The Lord God used animal skins and made some clothes for the man and his wife. Then he put the clothes on them.

The Lord God said, “Look, the man has become like us—he knows about good and evil. And now the man might take the fruit from the tree of life. If the man eats that fruit, he will live forever.”

So the Lord God forced the man out of the Garden of Eden to work the ground he was made from.

God forced the man to leave the garden. Then he put Cherub angels and a sword of fire at the entrance to the garden to protect it.

The sword flashed around and around, guarding the way to the tree of life.“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3‬:‭1‬-‭24‬ ‭ERV‬‬

What’s interesting is how Eve, decided then to blame the snake, and Adam decided then to blame God for the woman he had given him, and the snake/observer had no say in the matter.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”The snake was the most clever of all the wild animals that the Lord God had made.

The snake spoke to the woman and said, “Woman, did God really tell you that you must not eat from any tree in the garden?”

The woman answered the snake, “No, we can eat fruit from the trees in the garden. But there is one tree we must not eat from.

God told us, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden. You must not even touch that tree, or you will die.’”

But the snake said to the woman, “You will not die. God knows that if you eat the fruit from that tree you will learn about good and evil, and then you will be like God!”

The woman could see that the tree was beautiful and the fruit looked so good to eat. She also liked the idea that it would make her wise.

So she took some of the fruit from the tree and ate it. Her husband was there with her, so she gave him some of the fruit, and he ate it.

Then it was as if their eyes opened, and they saw things differently. They saw that they were naked.

So they got some fig leaves, sewed them together, and wore them for clothes.

During the cool part of the day, the Lord God was walking in the garden.

The man and the woman heard him, and they hid among the trees in the garden. The Lord God called to the man and said, “Where are you?”

The man said, “I heard you walking in the garden, and I was afraid. I was naked, so I hid.”

God said to the man, “Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat fruit from that special tree? I told you not to eat from that tree!”

The man said, “The woman you put here with me gave me fruit from that tree. So I ate it.”

Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What have you done?”

She said, “The snake tricked me, so I ate the fruit.”

So the Lord God said to the snake, “You did this very bad thing, so bad things will happen to you. It will be worse for you than for any other animal. You must crawl on your belly and eat dust all the days of your life. I will make you and the woman enemies to each other. Your children and her children will be enemies. You will bite her child’s foot, but he will crush your head.”

Then God said to the woman, “I will cause you to have much trouble when you are pregnant. And when you give birth to children, you will have much pain. You will want your husband very much, but he will rule over you.”

Then God said to the man, “I commanded you not to eat from that tree. But you listened to your wife and ate from it.

So I will curse the ground because of you. You will have to work hard all your life for the food the ground produces.

The ground will grow thorns and weeds for you. And you will have to eat the plants that grow wild in the fields. You will work hard for your food, until your face is covered with sweat. You will work hard until the day you die, and then you will become dust again. I used dust to make you, and when you die, you will become dust again.”

Adam named his wife Eve.

He gave her this name because Eve would be the mother of everyone who ever lived.

The Lord God used animal skins and made some clothes for the man and his wife. Then he put the clothes on them.

The Lord God said, “Look, the man has become like us—he knows about good and evil. And now the man might take the fruit from the tree of life. If the man eats that fruit, he will live forever.”

So the Lord God forced the man out of the Garden of Eden to work the ground he was made from.

God forced the man to leave the garden. Then he put Cherub angels and a sword of fire at the entrance to the garden to protect it.

The sword flashed around and around, guarding the way to the tree of life.“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3‬:‭1‬-‭24‬ ‭ERV‬‬

What’s interesting is how Eve, decided then to blame the snake, and Adam decided then to blame God for the woman he had given him, and the snake/observer had no say in the matter.

Yep, the serpent played Eve like a fiddle. He appealed to her vanity in being able to correct the serpent. He asked Eve a question so she could feel like she's teaching him something. Then she embellished it here

God didn't say don't touch it. God said don't eat from it. She was trying to feel like she was teaching him something. and the serpent made it sound good so she walked right into the trap.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, the serpent played Eve like a fiddle. He appealed to her vanity in being able to correct the serpent. He asked Eve a question so she could feel like she's teaching him something. Then she embellished it here

God didn't say don't touch it. God said don't eat from it. She was trying to feel like she was teaching him something. and the serpent made it sound good so she walked right into the trap.

She just simply seen the fruit as good for wisdom, from what I take. Disobeying, God and his commandment.

”So water came up from the earth and spread over the ground. Then the Lord God took dust from the ground and made a man. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nose, and the man became a living thing. Then the Lord God planted a garden in the East, in a place named Eden. He put the man he made in that garden. Then the Lord God caused all the beautiful trees that were good for food to grow in the garden. In the middle of the garden, he put the tree of life and the tree that gives knowledge about good and evil. A river flowed from Eden and watered the garden. The river then separated and became four smaller rivers. The name of the first river was Pishon. This river flowed around the entire country of Havilah. (There is gold in that country, and that gold is pure. A kind of expensive perfume and onyx are also found there.) The name of the second river was Gihon. This river flowed around the whole land of Cush. The name of the third river was Tigris. This river flowed east of Assyria. The fourth river was the Euphrates. The Lord God put the man in the Garden of Eden to work the soil and take care of the garden. The Lord God gave him this command: “You may eat from any tree in the garden. But you must not eat from the tree that gives knowledge about good and evil. If you eat fruit from that tree, on that day you will certainly die!”“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭2‬:‭6‬-‭17‬ ‭ERV‬‬

They died spiritually then that day, and sin was in the Garden and God showed them their way out.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today emotional drive is prevalent in the world and many people react in their emotions, and feelings. Many people are happy to go to churches as long as there is not a lot of the Bible being taught, plenty of coffee and a band to play the music, and little of the word which pierces the joints and marrows and discerns the hearts of people in order to make them grow. People don’t like that.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Today emotional drive is prevalent in the world and many people react in their emotions, and feelings. Many people are happy to go to churches as long as there is not a lot of the Bible being taught, plenty of coffee and a band to play the music, and little of the word which pierces the joints and marrows and discerns the hearts of people in order to make them grow. People don’t like that.
People crave 'other food' which cause their spiritual death. [Number 11:31] And many church leaders today are happy to give it to them.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear MatthewG,
The story of Adam and Eve which you presented above is actual history BUT it also teaches a spiritual message in "type".

1Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened to them (OT fathers) as TYPES, and have been written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

The "type" the story teaches is three-fold:

1). Adam and Eve represent mankind's spiritual makeup.
2). The story teaches why mankind sins.
3). The story teaches the marriage relationship between man and Christ.

Adam and Eve are "one flesh". Adam represents the head/mind and Eve represents the marred spirit (Jer 18:4).

The flaw in Adam/Eve's spirit is its spiritual weakness. Because of its weakness, the body of flesh quickly causes the spirit to become carnal. With a carnal spiritual nature, Adam/Eve's mind became carnal as well.

Because Adam/Eve were carnal, they sought to please the needs of their flesh over the need to please God. As a result, Adam/Eve disobeyed God and sinned.

Before Eve sinned, she displayed the three characteristics of her already existing carnality:

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food (lust of the flesh), and that it was pleasant to the eyes (lust of the eyes), and a tree to be desired to make one wise (pride of life), she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

It was because of Eve's carnality that she sinned and why all her offspring sin. And since Eve is a type for mankind's marred & carnal spirit, Eve tempted Adam (the carnal mind) and he ate of the forbidden fruit as well. For that reason, when Satan tempts mankind, he does so through our carnal spiritual nature just as he did with Adam and Eve.

Because mankind's carnal spirit is responsible for mankind's transgression of the Law, Paul said this:

1Tim 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

This scripture above will make more sense when it is read with the understanding that the "woman" is representative of mankind's carnal spiritual nature.

Paul directs women in the church to dress modestly because they no longer represent mankind's carnal nature who dresses as the Great Harlot shown in Rev ch. 18. The woman Paul is teaching is now the wife of Christ (Bride) and represents the spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit.

Now back to Adam and Eve as they relate to the marriage analogy: When Adam/Eve (the wife of Christ) sinned, they believed Satan over Christ. This act is called spiritual fornication/adultery. This act of adultery is the one and only sin that leads to death and is the only scriptural reason for divorce. Because of Adam/Eve's adultery, their marriage relationship with Christ ended. Christ then expelled them from the Garden of Eden (a type for heaven). It is at this point that Eve (the woman/carnal nature) became an adulteress/harlot.

Now notice what Paul said in verse 14 "the woman being deceived was in the transgression". Paul makes this statement not because he hates women, but because as mankind's carnal spiritual nature, the woman is responsible for mankind's sin. And because Christ holds the woman responsible for the transgression, the woman will receive the penalty of sin (which is death). Her destruction is shown in Revelation chapter 18. The Great Harlot will be destroyed because she represents mankind carnal spiritual nature. The Great Harlot is also called Sodom, earthly Jerusalem, Egypt and in Paul's conversion story - Damascus. For this reason, she is responsible for all the deaths of the prophets.

Note: The Old Covenant is physical and outward. For that reason, the OT prophets were physically killed in Jerusalem. In contrast, the New Covenant is spiritual and inward. For that reason, the Elect are spiritually killed (loss of salvation) in Jerusalem. The Elect are spiritually killed when the spirit of anti-Christ enters them and makes them "worse than the first" (Mat 12:43-45). This worsened carnal nature is what caused the "harlot" to become a "great" harlot.

When judgment falls on an Elect believer, it is the Great Harlot (their worsened carnal nature) and the spirit of anti-Christ which is removed and destroyed in the Lake of Fire (Mat 24:40-41, Rev 19:20). After this judgment is complete, all that is left within the believer is the new spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit, which will in time, transform their carnal mind into the mind of Christ. This is what this verse below is teaching:

Isa 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the (New) earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

The "earth" also represents mankind's spiritual nature. The natural (old) earth represents mankind's carnal nature. The New Earth represents the spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit. To transform the carnal mind of a believer, the judgments will come from their new spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit. This is how a believer will "learn righteousness".

There is much more I could say about what scripture teaches about the "woman" (carnal nature), but I will end my comments with one other point: Eve was created from Adam's rib. This is because a "bone" in scripture represents the "spirit" of a person. This is another reason why Eve is a type for Adam's marred spirit which became carnal. Now consider the scripture below and apply the meaning of "bone" to what it says:

John 19:36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

By saying that none of Christ's bones were broken, it is saying that Christ never spiritually died because of sin. And because Christ never sinned, He was an acceptable blood sacrifice for the sins of mankind.

Now look at this scripture:

Dan 7:5 And behold another beast, a second, like to a bear, and it raised up itself on one side, and it had three ribs in the mouth of it between the teeth of it: and they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh.

This verse is teaching about the spiritual death of an unconverted believer. The bear represents Satan. The rib (bone) represents an unconverted believer's carnal spiritual nature which Satan feeds upon in order to kill them. "Three" ribs are shown because the number three is a symbol for a spiritual process. The spiritual process that the believer is going through is when they become "worse than the first"; a man of sin.

Joe

Last edited: