explain to me why tattoo is bad. and why Pure Spirit is better than Mystic tattoo spirit. thanks.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi thesaintman, welcome to CyB. :)

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you thinking about getting a mystic tattoo?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I don't follow either..... What is a mystic tattoo?

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tattoos are an issue of one's own self-perspective and in and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with them. The issue is whether or not one is drawn to the world and what's cool in the world, or is drawn to God and what is proper in the sight of God for them. I have no problem with tattoos whatsoever and three of my four children have one. The fourth feels that it is not right for him to have one in front of God. That is his choice and his decision and it doesn't mean that it's the right choice for everybody, but for him it is indeed the right choice.
As far as the Bible is concerned it is irrelevant.

Reactions: Born_Again

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There does not seem to be any reference to tattoos in the bible accept that found in Leviticus 19:28 when God spoke to Moses about such things in regards to Israel. I personally think that if God didn't like it then...he probably hasn't changed his mind about it today. I think that there was more to this command than meets the eye and I would hazard to guess that the Pagan nations around them were practicing such things as a form of idolatry.

We know that Jesus was born under the law, to fulfill the law so I doubt that he would have had any. In my opinion, I would not consider having tattoos if I didn't have them prior to becoming a believer although some of my Christian friends have them. I guess it boils down to your own personal walk with God as Stan has suggested.

BB

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Angelina said:
There does not seem to be any reference to tattoos in the bible accept that found in Leviticus 19:28 when God spoke to Moses about such things in regards to Israel. I personally think that if God didn't like it then...he probably hasn't changed his mind about it today. I think that there was more to this command than meets the eye and I would hazard to guess that the Pagan nations around them were practicing such things as a form of idolatry.
Yes that is the only mention and it relates to the dead not necessarily to the tattoo itself. I like the way the NET Bible translates it;
You must not slash your body for a dead person or incise a tattoo on yourself.

I know many people who use vs 28 as a reason for not having tattoos but the problem is they ignore verse 27. So basically they're making a choice on what to obey and what not to, and in my opinion everything in the levitical law is obsolete, so there's no requirement to obey any of it.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
As I had stated in the above post...I am guessing that the Pagan nations were practicing such things as a form of idolatry. That is why God had spoken to Moses about Leviticus 19:28. For Israel, it was a matter of obedience particularly since that were surrounded by paganisic societies and God was setting them apart as a Holy Nation where the Messiah will some day be born into....

...in my opinion everything in the levitical law is obsolete, so there's no requirement to obey any of it.
That is your opinion of course but I believe that if God had a problem with it then...he probably hasn't changed his mind today... :huh:

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Angelina said:
As I had stated in the above post...I am guessing that the Pagan nations were practicing such things as a form of idolatry. That is why God had spoken to Moses about Leviticus 19:28. For Israel, it was a matter of obedience particularly since that were surrounded by paganisic societies and God was setting them apart as a Holy Nation where the Messiah will some day be born into....

That is your opinion of course but I believe that if God had a problem with it then...he probably hasn't changed his mind today... :huh:
The levitical laws were not directed at anybody but the children of Israel. Deut 14:1 one gives a similar command and as I've stated it has to do with focusing on the Dead because obviously shaving your forehead under normal circumstances would not be a problem. Praying for the dead was and is a normal routine in Judaism. It is also a normal tradition in the RCC and EOC. Obviously the New Testament teaches us that there's no use in praying for the Dead but having said that, Paul does make a strange statement in 1st Corinthians 15:28-30, but in any event the point is not to be focused on the dead but to be focused on the living as Jesus taught in Matthew 22:32
I'm not stating opinion as much as I am showing what the Bible clearly says.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well then...I must be stating my opinion which I have said in the above post...If God didn't like it then, I'm sure he hasn't changed his mind today :)

Praying for the dead was and is a normal routine in Judaism.
Hmmm... :huh: I was not aware that the Judaic Jews practiced the art of praying for the dead?

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
Because we are entrusted with our portion of "Image and likeness of God" and it is not to be defaced with some graffiti of our own making.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Skitnik said:
Because we are entrusted with our portion of "Image and likeness of God" and it is not to be defaced with some graffiti of our own making.
Amen, I agree. I also think that If it were something Jesus promoted, it would have been written in his word and it is not. Only Leviticus 19:28 gives us any clues about tattoos and even there, he is speaking to a nation he has called to himself to be set apart from the nations around them. Are Christians also set apart or are they still following the ways of the world?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Angelina said:
Amen, I agree. I also think that If it were something Jesus promoted, it would have been written in his word and it is not. Only Leviticus 19:28 gives us any clues about tattoos and even there, he is speaking to a nation he has called to himself to be set apart from the nations around them. Are Christians also set apart or are they still following the ways of the world?
So you don't believe Christian men should trim their beards or cut off their sideburns?

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
StanJ said:
So you don't believe Christian men should trim their beards or cut off their sideburns?
I find it extremely ironic that Christians are so quick to point out the apparent insignificance of God's laws. They usually pick one of these laws such as the one mentioned or mixing of fibers in clothing as if this must be just some arbitrary law to keep Israel separate from other nations.

Perhaps a better question would be why one would choose to obey or believe in a capricious god who comes up with arbitrary laws.

When these laws are viewed in context, it is the law itself that is spotlighting the sin. The law was never a means of separating anyone from sin. It was the standard by which one judged sin. To do away with the standard is to do away with sin altogether, but of course this is just secular humanism or moral relativism by another name. Atheists love to make the claim that there is no such thing as objective morality. Some of them seem to have had a Christian background; now we know where they got this idea from. The incredible irony is to watch a Christian condemn this philosophy in an atheist, yet condone it in the church. Following the tenets of a capricious god tends to do that to people.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
In a job interview or in court you can show off your tattoo to prove you have character.

Reactions: atpollard

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was probably a pretty bad thing in Leviticus, think about it, they didn't have the technology they have today, they would have probably marked their own skin by digging knives into it, blood would have been going everywhere and it would have been causing self harm massively.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because one day, that tweety bird tattoo will become big bird. LOL Then, when youre old, you have to explain that the big yellow mass on your leg was a tattoo and not a bruise. HAHA

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Say you loaned me your car and while I was using it, I decided that the paint was too plain and dull and proceeded to paint graffiti all over it - do you think you'd be a bit upset when I returned it to you?

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 KJV

Reactions: amadeus and Truth

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
shnarkle said:
I find it extremely ironic that Christians are so quick to point out the apparent insignificance of God's laws. They usually pick one of these laws such as the one mentioned or mixing of fibers in clothing as if this must be just some arbitrary law to keep Israel separate from other nations.

Perhaps a better question would be why one would choose to obey or believe in a capricious god who comes up with arbitrary laws.

When these laws are viewed in context, it is the law itself that is spotlighting the sin. The law was never a means of separating anyone from sin. It was the standard by which one judged sin. To do away with the standard is to do away with sin altogether, but of course this is just secular humanism or moral relativism by another name. Atheists love to make the claim that there is no such thing as objective morality. Some of them seem to have had a Christian background; now we know where they got this idea from. The incredible irony is to watch a Christian condemn this philosophy in an atheist, yet condone it in the church. Following the tenets of a capricious god tends to do that to people.
this hardly seems fair to God, when we consider that we are privy to the hindsight of the failure of Law. God was not being capricious, and His Laws were not arbitrary; as you say, the Law itself was a spotlight, a manifestation, of unresolved sin. It cannot both be that and "arbitrary," can it?