Exposing The Legalist (heretic)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what if the Devil has had a long time to study the bible and understands that he can fool the body of Christ, many, by faking "spiritual fruit".
Your bible says that He, the devil, will come to you as an Angel of LIGHT.
His people, his sons, his daughters will come to you, to your forum, pretending to have spiritual fruit.
They ALL speak "christianese".....They all SOUND "right"..
So, its up to each of us to understand that we have to DISCERN the difference between the Truth and fake spiritual fruit.
I write Thread's that help sincere believers KEEP from being DUPED by the Devil's "Preachers of Righteousness".
I am safe...promise. preachers have never been much of a friend to me.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An enemy of the Cross is anyone who does not give "the finished work of Jesus", 100% CREDIT for being the only and sole means for getting them into heaven.

On the contrary: a heretic is someone who KEEPS giving vain credit to the cross while continuing in sin. This is the worker of iniquity who will be denied when they stand before Christ:

Matthew 7:21,23 KJV
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. [23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Here is what the scriptures say a heretic is:

A heretic causes divisions and offenses contrary to the truth (Romans 16:17); the WHOLE truth, not just one truth of the cross.

A heretic serves his own desires, not God’s desires; they also speak well and use good words (Romans 16:18).

A heretic is someone to be avoided because he commits sins while pretending to be a brother (1 Corinthians 5:11; 2 Thessalonians 3:6).

A heretic spoils saints by using philosophy, vain deceit (like OSAS) and traditions of men (Colossians 2:8).

A heretic is disobedient to the word (2 Thessalonians 3:14).

Finally, heretics thrive because deceived “believers” enable them (2 Timothy 4:3).

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there hope for me? My eyes have been opened to my legalism and not resting on the cross? I've been a hypocrite, I've really hated it but I kept it inside out of fear and sin. I read hebrews 6 and 10 and I'm in despair. I've been working so hard, I'm tired and just want to rest in Jesus. I get so scared I'm not working to keep it because I see so many warnings about falling away and yet I did.

Job 28:28 KJV
[28] And unto man [God] said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV
[1] Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Reactions: AlsoAnne

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im not aware that you believe that you can lose your salvation.
You define yourself as a Charismatic, and all Charismatic denominations, ALL, except for the "word of faith" group, believe and teach Legalism to the extreme.
If you think you can lose your Salvation, then you are a legalist.

Charismatic is not a denomination, but anyone who has received the baptism of the Holy Spirit with gifts. They can be in any denomination. They are Philadelphians from the 7 letters of Jesus to the churches and believe all of the New Covenant. I'm not worried about losing my salvation because I have the assurance described in 1 John 3:21-24, and all my prayers ARE answered and I receive what was prayed for 100% of the time.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think you can lose your Salvation, then you are a legalist.
No, lol. Just because someone thinks they can lose their salvation doesn't mean they think they can lose it for not doing enough works to earn it. You need to get a little more educated about what they believe.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many false doctrines.
Read Hebrews 13:9 for an update.
This particular Thread is dealing with the main one.....that defines all Heretics.
That's Legalsim, and you will know them, based on what they Do with this phrase../
= "The FINISHED work, of JESUS, on the Cross".
The Legalist will teach that this work is not finished, that Salvation is only begun, and we are to complete it by "enduring, or abiding, or commandment keeping, or whatever other self effort is on your list that has become your Faith".
You're showing your ignorance of what's going on in the head of the legalist in the church. I'm not talking about bona fide lost unbelievers who exist outside of the church who think their good must outweigh their bad for them to go to heaven. Save that discussion for the evangelistic field out there in the world. I'm talking about the genuine believer who struggles under the weight of the believer's obligation to walk in the Spirit. They don't believe fulfilling that obligation earns them salvation. You just think they believe that. What they believe is for them not to walk in the obligation of the Spirit is a sign of UNBELIEF. Even Calvinism, the original once saved always saved teaching, teaches this!

Reactions: Enoch111

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All legalist's are enemies of the Cross.
Yes. But that's not what I said. What I said was not all enemies of the cross are legalists. And that's important to this thread because many of those who rail against legalism are enemies of the cross themselves. Why? Because they have gone to the other extreme and abuse the grace of God. Which is by far worse because they are doing it out of knowledge of grace. Whereas the legalist in the church is not. The legalist doesn't know better. The greasy gracer does. His condemnation will be great.

The "Cross" is the Grace of God.
So, to deny that this alone keeps you saved, as well as SAVED you, = Is Legalsim, and this teaching is the enemy of the Cross as its in opposition to God's Grace.
I'll say it again so you can begin to understand the mind of the legalist in the church. They don't think the cross needs adding to. They view not doing what God commands as the absence of faith in the cross that saves/transforms all by itself.

Reactions: Enoch111

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not saved by Abiding, and you are not Kept Saved by Abiding.
Abiding, as you are defining it, is YOU doing for yourself, what on Christ has already Accomplished 2000 yrs ago for ALL the born again.
No, no, no. lol. Abiding is BELIEVING. You have to be believing in Christ to be saved. Some say you can never stop believing. Others say you can stop believing. But neither of those arguments takes away the truth that you have to be believing (abiding) to be saved.

1 John 2:24
24As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.

So, That's Legalism you are spewing, and that theology is at odds with The Cross.
Rethink your position, and instead give Christ alone all credit due Him for saving you and keeping you saved.
Stop asap, trusting in "abiding", as abiding didnt hang on the Cross for you.
Believing in Christ (abiding in Christ) to be saved IS NOT LEGALISM.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And God sees this faith, and Justifies you, for eternity.

The issue is what you do later.
Most do not stay in this understanding.
Most get caught up in trying to keep, what God has already finished.
Legalsim is not about how you are saved, its all about the shift from Faith in Christ to faith in trying to keep yourself SAVED.
Generally speaking, that's not what happens in the church. What happens is these people understand that only BELIEVING people are saved people. Even Calvinists—the original once saved always saved denomination—believe this! Calvinist believe that if you don't do good works it shows your unbelief and that you never really believed to begin with. Non-Calvy's also say if you don't do good works it shows your unbelief, but they say that you either never really believed to begin with or you lost your faith. So in the church, legalism is NOT about trying to earn salvation by your works. These saved church people, who you like to label as works salvationist legalists, know better than greasy gracers, that works is the SIGN of the believing person. And that ONLY believing people will be saved when Jesus comes back.

Save your 'working to earn salvation' argument for the evangelistic field. Take that message to your work place, or the corner market, or to your neighbor next door. Those are the people who are working to earn their salvation. Saved Christians are not. Saved Christians can get in a fluster about doing enough works but it's not in order to earn their salvation. It's about fulfilling the obligation to the Spirit faith in Christ demands. Something greasy gracers—also enemies of the cross, who live for the appetites of the flesh in open abuse of grace—disregard altogether.

Last edited:

AlsoAnne

Nov 19, 2020
NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job 28:28 KJV
[28] And unto man [God] said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV
[1] Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Wow, incredible on point for me. Thank you. Wouldn't it be awesome to have wallpaper of the scriptures?! I need to see more than I can all day every day.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@AlsoAnne , my journey out of legalism as a Christian started here......

Revelation 3:2
I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God.

I had had a dramatic Luke 18:13-14 salvation experience and I was extremely zealous for the Lord, serving in my little non-denominational church. I was like a pillar of the church. But a very convincing and popular teaching was circulating at that time that Christ was coming back at a particular time....and then another particular time when that didn't happen, lol. But it made me wonder if I was truly ready to meet the Lord, despite my zealous, even joyful work in the church. The Spirit was impressing these verses on my soul.....

Ephesians 5:10
find out what pleases the Lord.

Ephesians 5:17
understand what the Lord's will is.

God was taking me away from the emphasis on spiritual gifts and church ministries as the measure of a real spiritual relationship that full gospel churches teach and showing me what really matters.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Micah_6-8.jpg

Reactions: Sabertooth

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Saint, here is a vital lesson for you...
"Behold" -- who holds to false doctrines -- is trying to pontificate again. He really thinks he is the pope come to set aright all other Christians.
Self Effort of some type... be it works, commandment keeping, enduring to the end, water baptism, holy communion/sacraments, and on and on, self effort , self effort, self effort. = is the ENEMY of God's Grace and this is the enemy of The Cross.
According to this statement, a Christian must do nothing after he or she is saved. Which is PURE BALONEY.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@AlsoAnne , my journey out of legalism as a Christian started here......

Revelation 3:2
I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God.

I had had a dramatic Luke 18:13-14 salvation experience and I was extremely zealous for the Lord, serving in my little non-denominational church. I was like a pillar of the church. But a very convincing and popular teaching was circulating at that time that Christ was coming back at a particular time....and then another particular time when that didn't happen, lol. But it made me wonder if I was truly ready to meet the Lord, despite my zealous, even joyful work in the church. The Spirit was impressing these verses on my soul.....

Ephesians 5:10
find out what pleases the Lord.

Ephesians 5:17
understand what the Lord's will is.

God was taking me away from the emphasis on spiritual gifts and church ministries as the measure of a real spiritual relationship that full gospel churches teach and showing me what really matters.
@Ferris Bueller Ephesians 2 is a great chapter! it's the quickening by the Spirit by grace through faith that is central and essential. :)

Reactions: Ferris Bueller