Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Big check mark !
BTW @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d

You mentioned your daughter and your sister; so maybe have they already seen your current tattoos recently gotten? or maybe you're waiting to show them after your get your next ones done....

They shouldn't be surprised, anyway, by your tattoos because it's something that Christians do very widely now; LadyCrosstalk said:

I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I actually have a ton of tattoos from before Jesus. . .
@SERVANTedu PS: Often the first tattoos are preceded by the ear piercings; not necessarily so, but often so. Your son is way too young for ink; but it would not be surprising if you told me your tattoos were preceded by earrings (or if your son eventually wanted earrings himself). I think over the past few decades tattoo and earring customs and developments have grown significantly.

SERVANTedu

May 31, 2022
Midwest-ish
teenchallengetx.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@SERVANTedu PS: Often the first tattoos are preceded by the ear piercings; not necessarily so, but often so. Your son is way too young for ink; but it would not be surprising if you told me your tattoos were preceded by earrings (or if your son eventually wanted earrings himself). I think over the past few decades tattoo and earring customs and developments have grown significantly.
My tattoos were definitely preceeded by piercings: ears, lips, etc. My son has aspergers so I doubt he will end up wanting anything to do with ear rings etc.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d

You mentioned your daughter and your sister; so maybe have they already seen your current tattoos recently gotten? or maybe you're waiting to show them after your get your next ones done....

They shouldn't be surprised, anyway, by your tattoos because it's something that Christians do very widely now; LadyCrosstalk said:

Believe me, I have posted, text, shown and shared my tattoos with all I know and love !

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My tattoos were definitely preceeded by piercings: ears, lips, etc.
@SERVANTedu Although some piercings can be 'over the top', I really don't have a problem with a guy having studs or little rings in one or both of his ears: it's so widespread and well established a custom. IMHO, if a Christian guy feels comfortable removing his earring(s), then remove them. If he feels comfortable keeping it/them in his ear(s), keep it/them in. It's really a case of what comes naturally to the individual.

(As with tattoos, I guess...)

SERVANTedu

May 31, 2022
Midwest-ish
teenchallengetx.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@SERVANTedu Although some piercings can be 'over the top', I really don't have a problem with a guy having studs or little rings in one or both of his ears: it's so widespread and well established a custom. IMHO, if a Christian guy feels comfortable removing his earring(s), then remove them. If he feels comfortable keeping it/them in his ear(s), keep it/them in. It's really a case of what comes naturally to the individual.

(As with tattoos, I guess...)

I removed all my piercings and would have done the same with my tattoos honestly.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Believe me, I have posted, text, shown and shared my tattoos with all I know and love !
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d Well, then they won't be at all surprised when you - as someone strongly committed to expressing faith in ink - get your next ones.

Some ppl indeed regret not having had it done years ago:

Dave L said:
I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I watched a news item on the TV the other night and the report was highlighting a new Ambulance paramedic who was going through their training who was heavily tattooed, particularly on his face and neck. He had gotten his tattoos during a dark time in his life and now regrets have those tattoos and is planning to go through the expense and pain of having most of them removed because the tattoos no longer represent who he is.

I just wonder how many other tattooed people also regret their tatts, and if they would support the touting that this thread represents for "christians" to have "Christian" based tattoos done as a means of evangelism other people who may be on the darker side of life.

Somehow, I sense that they would not endorse having tattoos done for this purpose.

The small sample size for this tread would suggest that many do not agree with the general thrust of the author of this tread.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just wonder how many other tattooed people also regret their tatts, and if they would support the touting that this thread represents for "christians" to have "Christian" based tattoos done as a means of evangelism other people who may be on the darker side of life.

Somehow, I sense that they would not endorse having tattoos done for this purpose.

Paul Washer said, "If the church uses carnal means to draw carnal men, it will be forced to continue and even grow in carnality in order to keep them."

Isn't it more personal and drawing to a person to just reach out and be kind; to act and be a person that gives them a sense of peace?

That open heartedness seems like a good conversation starter.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watched a news item on the TV the other night and the report was highlighting a new Ambulance paramedic who was going through their training who was heavily tattooed, particularly on his face and neck. He had gotten his tattoos during a dark time in his life and now regrets have those tattoos and is planning to go through the expense and pain of having most of them removed because the tattoos no longer represent who he is.

The small sample size for this tread would suggest that many do not agree with the general thrust of the author of this tread.
I have tattoos and regret getting them, I got them when I was young and stupid, and I do not agree with the general thrust of the author of this thread, and I advise people not to get them, most will regret getting them when they get older.

Reactions: SERVANTedu

SERVANTedu

May 31, 2022
Midwest-ish
teenchallengetx.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@SERVANTedu Do you think that you would still have regretted ink if you had gotten Bible verses done instead?

Because all the young ppl with whom I have talked with Bible verses tattooed seem to have gotten them done as witness tools.

I don't know. however I don't currently have a desire to get any tattoos. My guess would be probably.

I think that @LadyofFireandLace has an excellent point as far as using carnal means, you'll attract carnal men. . . I understand Paul said "I have become all things to all men that I might win some to christ" but you never saw him dabbling in idolatry and saying that he was worshiping the living God through pagan sacrifice.

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know. however I don't currently have a desire to get any tattoos. My guess would be probably.

I think that @LadyofFireandLace has an excellent point as far as using carnal means, you'll attract carnal men. . . I understand Paul said "I have become all things to all men that I might win some to christ" but you never saw him dabbling in idolatry and saying that he was worshiping the living God through pagan sacrifice.
Thanks, @SERVANTedu I take your general point. I was really thinking of the words of Scripture; which can become a silent witness or a talking point when the wearer wishes to use them as such. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of the wording of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor in this way.

My hesitation is to go the way of legalism; some hardine legalists might want to give young ppl a hard time because they have a Bible ref. tattooed on a wrist or because they have studs in their ears, or whatever. Hardliners do exist.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
With all the physical activities people participate in perhaps Biblical tats are a newer way to reveal their godly adherence, rather than jewelry that becomes cumbersome or a “Hangup” during physical activities.
@Taken

A newer way perhaps; but getting tattooed has become really well established, as UnrulyBeauty said in her posting:

Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years..I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them..The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had a strong inclination to use them as witness tools. (Wrist/arm area seems to be a preferred placement.)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

A newer way perhaps; but getting tattooed has become really well established, as UnrulyBeauty said in her posting:

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had a strong inclination to use them as witness tools. (Wrist/arm area seems to be a preferred placement.)

Sure. I can understand people using tats as witness tools, as they have been for eons...
Prison tats, Military tats, Flower tats, Skull tats, Gang tats, Bird tats, Abstract art tats, Cartoon character tats, Religious tats, simply implies at a quick glance something about the individuals associations and likings.

It is well known, people are different, like different things. It is well known people tease and joke about others who are different than themselves, and who like different things. In my family from my children being a very young age, they were taught, they would be teased, and how to handle it. My kids have tats, I don’t, I tease them.
I have things my kids don’t have or like, they tease me. Laughter has always been one of the highlights in our home.

I get the tat thing. Just not my thing. Some tats are incredibly beautiful, and some are funny and some are horribly grotesque.
All per the individuals choice.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My kids have tats, I don’t, I tease them.
I have things my kids don’t have or like, they tease me. Laughter has always been one of the highlights in our home.

I get the tat thing. Just not my thing. Some tats are incredibly beautiful, and some are funny and some are horribly grotesque.
All per the individuals choice.
@Taken Sounds like it's been a happy home... :)

So you tease them about their tattoos?

It does seem to have become something that is gradually grasped by maturing adults:

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

As you say, some can be grotesque; others are incredibly beautiful; but even in the really impressive ones I guess my thought is that some will find having them done more compelling also when there is the promise of witness effectiveness; FYI:

Lady Crosstalk said:
I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I live in Vegas right now...wanting to move. And yes, there are quite a few tattoo parlors here.

While I'm not so much into tattoos, I DO appreciate the artistry of some to be amazing.
@Mink57 I thought Nevada's tattoo parlors were in Vegas, but @HeatherA said she got hers in Reno where there are a lot of tattoo parlors, apparently.

I hope you can find the accommodation you want elsewhere; but I'm sure you're meantime v. appreciative of what you have; I saw your other post about accommodation.

(I think Reno would be some distance from Vegas, so maybe you don't know it so well.)

Last edited: