Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ronald Nolette I think it's a matter of balance and perspective.

The fact is that when so many ppl get tattooed today, it's hardly a case of them somehow supposedly rejected conservative values or whatever.

As GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dhh712

Since it's clear that getting tattooed is something that many very conservative and traditional ppl are very open to doing, then clearly also resources about faith based tattoos represent a huge potential for faith based designs.
Sou
@dhh712

As GodsGrace said:

juliannenw said:

allnurses dot com

Since it's clear that getting tattooed is something that many very conservative and traditional ppl are very open to doing, then clearly also resources about faith based tattoos represent a huge potential for faith based designs.

That's a great point. I'm not familiar with this culture (? Is that the right word? having trouble coming up with the right one--could be that I just woke up after a very grueling day yesterday)--are there not many options for faith-based tattoos? I imagine it would depend on the geographical area too. I imagine also that the faith-based designs would be way less plentiful than the secular designs.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's a great point. I'm not familiar with this culture (? Is that the right word? having trouble coming up with the right one--could be that I just woke up after a very grueling day yesterday)--are there not many options for faith-based tattoos? I imagine it would depend on the geographical area too. I imagine also that the faith-based designs would be way less plentiful than the secular designs.

@dhh712 Well...I guess that tattoo and tattoo parlor demographics might vary from area to area.

You mentioned recently that you used to live in Las Vegas. While you might not have liked some aspects of the city, ppl in Vegas are indeed spoiled for choice as regards tattoo parlors. (As you would know.)

HeatherA from Nevada recently said:

I do have a cross tattoo. ...among other stuff Reno also has a lot of tattoo places. Carson City has a few. Most people travel to Reno or Las Vegas for it.
I have 1 tattoo and I got it in Reno. .. I waited 5 years before getting it.

This quote from Texas does at any rate ring true also:

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

You also used the word 'culture'. I'm not quite sure whether the idea of a specific "tattoo culture" applies any more. It used to be a man thing years ago but now it has become also such a woman thing to do. If we have indeed seen a striking reduction in the idea of a specific "tattoo culture", then maybe in no small measure this has slowly but surely come about because - so profusely, so confidently and so naturally now - tattooing is received by women. What we are maybe instead seeing is that it's not because ppl are radicals or typical rebels that they do it, it's because they are adults (seen also in the fact that for so many ppl the first tattoo parlor appointment is simply part of the reaching the Big 18 transition to adulthood).

For many Christian young ppl, however, the first tattoo parlor appointment at 18 seems to combine commemorating the transition to adulthood with wishing to affirm a Christian testimony: all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked seem to have undergone their injecting experiences for witness tool purposes, at any rate. For them it might represent from their earliest days of adulthood wanting really earnestly to 'nail their colors to the mast', so to speak.

LadyCrosstalk said:

I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
even tattoos can be removed with what I hear is much trouble
@dhh712 The trick is to put enough thought into it in the first place so that they won't be regretted.

Rita said:

I have never regretted my tattoo.. I have always had complete peace about it..I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done..I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders. .. shortly after getting my tattoo done .. the dentist ask me about it - it opened up a conversation that would not have come about at all..I honestly felt OK about getting the tattoo in the first place.( I had weighed everything up , talked to my pastor, reflected on scripture ) The conversation surprised me, and it did serve as an encouragment at the time. I have had quite a few conversations at work when people notice it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
LOL! Yes, I live in Vegas right now...wanting to move. And yes, there are quite a few tattoo parlors here.

While I'm not so much into tattoos, I DO appreciate the artistry of some to be amazing.
@Mink57 So did you ever go into any parlors and without obligation admire some of the portfolio artwork?

You guys in Vegas are spoiled for tattoo parlors, anyway.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is no sin to wear jewelry or have nice clothes if the heart is right in wearing them.
@Ronald Nolette I can in any case well imagine the young ppl - all of whom I talked with - who have gotten Bible verses inked having gone quietly into the tattoo parlor with glowing hearts if they wanted thereby to use them as testimony tools among their peers especially.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah she is smarter than me lol.
@Mantis From your comment about Mrs. Mantis, it used to be such a man thing (and still is) but I read someplace that now in North America 55%-70% or more of tattoo artists' clients are women.

You as a former (and future?) tattoo artist might recall a similar proportion among your clients. Seems like it's become such a natural, spontaneous wish for so many women to express themselves in ink about faith, family, etc.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks for the interesting video, @SERVANTedu .

I do take the guy's point that although there may not really be any objective theological issues against them now, ppl might usefully hesitate in case conservative ppl might somehow be offended even by a faith based tattoo.

Well, I can see that, just about....if in fact conservative ppl out there were so overwhelmingly against even faith based tattoos.

What I would also say is that if one looks at the sheer evidence that is out there, tattoos are not unusually precisely what people of rather conservative values do indeed have. (Actually I thick this evidence is now pretty well overwhelming.)

FYI:

GodsGrace said:

almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

HeatherA said:
I do have a cross tattoo. ...among other stuff Reno also has a lot of tattoo places. Carson City has a few. Most people travel to Reno or Las Vegas for it.
I have 1 tattoo and I got it in Reno. .. I waited 5 years before getting it.

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

LadyCrosstalk said:
I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

I find this quote really funny: :)

Neither my husband or I have a tattoo (he was military and has his all planned...then when he had the money could never find time to go get it done...or when he went with friends didn't have the money...so it never happened. ..)
We joke that now we are counter culture and "rebels" because we don't have ink. Because everyone we know has at least one...usually three or four.
mamapedia dot com

Whether or not you yourself @SERVANTedu do go ahead and get the faith based one that you were thinking about is naturally what only you yourself can really know your thoughts about.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...are there not many options for faith-based tattoos?

@dhh712 Yes, it can be achieved in many different, wholesome and gracious ways:

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg
tattoo hyphen awe dot blogspot dot

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

069e95d3dbbbf0a6429a252e115564d2.jpg
pinterest

53f6e6a7d22969a8fd8143a478bab21a.jpg

pinterest

( cc @Lizbeth Feel free to comment.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dhh712