Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For my oldest, I know the piercings and wild hair were products of her searching for identity. Sometimes, tattoos can be the same....but not always.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, and honestly, my oldest was away from God when she got it, but I don't think her decision would've been different.

@TLHKAJ Yes, well clearly it's something powerful and widely preferred that empathetic women, that women of conviction, etc. do to express their innermost sense of purpose.

This is very demonstrable among the 'empathetic' professions such as nursing, & among women in the Bible Belt in general, etc:

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
source: allnurses dot com

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

This is undeniably so, now, in this contemporary generation and there's a lot of scope now for faith based designs.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For my oldest, I know the piercings and wild hair were products of her searching for identity. Sometimes, tattoos can be the same....but not always.
@TLHKAJ It used to be a man thing years ago, but now at 18 onwards it's undeniable that getting inked up is a natural event for young women (especially).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes...thank you, @farouk
@TLHKAJ YW, and you as a mom would naturally appreciate if others out there empathized with your daughters' (a mother - a bride) various strong motivations for becoming tattooed women for their own reasons in their own right.

It does go to show anyway that the scope for faith based tattoo designs these days is great, doesn't it?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He has been involved in 'outreach ministry to the people'..*Most church establishments do not have much interest.. *I assume you know what I mean.
- for many years..
He was encountering more tattoos people..in his outreach ministry.
- That is why he did some research/study on tattoos.
---
As said before, the session was balanced.- not much negative/critical.
It was learning experience..about tattoos.
--
It was some time ago..
- I do not remember in detail.
- Especially, on many slides/pictures of tattoos! ..we discussed.
It was fun session.. Maybe one of the best at the conference!

Blessings,
---
Question:
If he had tattoos, more effective in his outreach ministry?
@Pathfinder7 So are more such conferences / sessions planned on the theme?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
love every quirky thing about her.
@VictoryinJesus Part of the broader background also is that after 18 ink - to a very limited or larger extent - is indeed how so many of her generation express themselves now. (Long gone are the days when it was merely a male biker/sailor thing.) The fact that you love it as part of her 'quirkiness' is of course very advantageous; even the non-quirky/very conservative of her generation now do it widely, anyway, which is part of the broader background.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Adults can do what they want in regards to tattoos. I'm keeping my skin healthy. :)
@Prayer Warrior No need to comment any more if you don't want to. What I am wondering - leaving aside the fact that inks have greatly improved in quality - is whether in fact the desire to testify even using this means can and is by some ppl regarded as healthy. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse in the Bible and mine also, and I'm sure profitable conversations have arisen in a sense as a result of her original motivation to receive the ink in that design. Some would say, it can be a healthy motivation. (No need to say any more, of course, but you maybe see where I am coming from.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I personally like to make my own style...and my style completely hinges on cost, comfort and modesty...(I don't wear clothes that show my body to everyone).
So tattoos are kind of the same thing.
@Heart2Soul Well, a very small tattoo - like on a wrist; Christian fish sign <><, etc. - need not cost very much, anyway, for those who might want it.

Anyway, I'm sure that cost didn't put off your daughters, did it?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Debp Thanks for your poll vote. So you never spoke with anyone with a faith based tattoo design; did you ever see one (like, with a Bible verse tattoo)?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think we can create a new meaning for things by doing it with the right spirit of truth and holiness.
For most today the wedding ring symbolizes a Covenant relationship between a man and woman.
I attended a church where the pastor was an ex marine and he had tattoos and after he got saved he got called into the ministry. He still has the tattoos but in church no one could see them.
@Heart2Soul

What ppl need to remember is that now so many churchgoing, conservative, etc. ppl have tattoos:

Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.