Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi. I found the tattoo poll interesting. After serving at 2 different downtown outreaches, the last whose mission statement listed "youth at risk" as their target, I met a lot of young people that ended up acting like I was their parent. Not that I ever was, but once they got comfortable with me, they started testing boundries to see how far my concern went for them. Having raised kids myself, I know that kids are happiest when they have clearly defined boundries. They caused me to care for them. Which is great, but then they started to die. There is a cost to this, as well as all ministry, that, I soon learned. For the time I was there, I went to more funerals than I had in my entire life. It was in this context that they would show me their tattoos. I saw things like pentagrams, 666, etc. I was also shown tattoos that were in remembrance of lost family and friends due to gang violence, drugs and accidents. If I had said something negative about them, they might have stopped talking to me. I know I would've lost their trust. I've never been able to jump religious high-bars even after I was saved, so how could these valuable youth do any better. This is a song I wrote that might help some to understand.
"I've got a jaded eye, I've got a thorn in my side, I've got an attitude that keeps on dragging me down."
"I've got unseen pain that fills my heart with rain, you know it keeps me here on my knees, with my face to the ground."
"I just want You, Lord, I just want You, who am I supposed to be, and what am I supposed to do?"
"I just want You, You know I just want You. Tell me how to hear Your voice, show me how to see Your face."
"Teach me how to walk in Your ways, I just want You."
"I've got memories of how it used to be, You know the things I trusted in nearly ended my days."
"And how You spoke to me, that if I'd only believe, You'd heal this broken heart and lead me in peace."
"Lord, I don't understand the working of Your hand, but I know that the promises that You made to me are true."
"So I'll keep seeking Your face, for the rest of my days, until my race is run and my time on this world is through." Shalom. P.S. It is my understanding that the bible speaks against tattoos that glorified the devils that they worshipped. My dad got tats in the Navy, anchors or something. I see nothing wrong with that. I don't have tats, but if the Lord wanted me to, sure. I toyed with this idea, and thought that if I ever did get some, it would be a Cross on 1 hand and a Star Of David on the other. Bye. Romans 14:1-12, Ezekiel 14:1-11, 1 Corinthians 8:1-13

Last edited by a moderator:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..well keep on with your time wasting foolishness....obviously you have convinced yourself .... I am putting you on IGNORE...
Hopefully at some point you will get passed being so obsessed by the things of this world, and start dwelling on God's heavenly kingdom.
I had just taken him off ignore, as I do with some people sometimes, and right away I see yet another tattoo thread.

This is something I believe shows a need, and prayers!

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi. I found the tattoo poll interesting. After serving at 2 different downtown outreaches, the last whose mission statement listed "youth at risk" as their target, I met a lot of young people that ended up acting like I was their parent. Not that I ever was, but once they got comfortable with me, they started testing boundries to see how far my concern went for them. Having raised kids myself, I know that kids are happiest when they have clearly defined boundries. They caused me to care for them. Which is great, but then they started to die. There is a cost to this, as well as all ministry, that, I soon learned. For the time I was there, I went to more funerals than I had in my entire life. It was in this context that they would show me their tattoos. I saw things like pentagrams, 666, etc. I was also shown tattoos that were in remembrance of lost family and friends due to gang violence, drugs and accidents. If I had said something negative about them, they might have stopped talking to me. I know I would've lost their trust. I've never been able to jump religious high-bars even after I was saved, so how could these valuable youth do any better. This is a song I wrote that might help some to understand.
"I've got a jaded eye, I've got a thorn in my side, I've got an attitude that keeps on dragging me down."
"I've got unseen pain that fills my heart with rain, you know it keeps me here on my knees, with my face to the ground."
"I just want You, Lord, I just want You, who am I supposed to be, and what am I supposed to do?"
"I just want You, You know I just want You. Tell me how to hear Your voice, show me how to see Your face."
"Teach me how to walk in Your ways, I just want You."
"I've got memories of how it used to be, You know the things I trusted in nearly ended my days."
"And how You spoke to me, that if I'd only believe, You'd heal this broken heart and lead me in peace."
"Lord, I don't understand the working of Your hand, but I know that the promises that You made to me are true."
"So I'll keep seeking Your face, for the rest of my days, until my race is run and my time on this world is through." Shalom.
@Ron Coates Thanks for these thoughtful comments.

Reactions: Truman

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My dad got tats in the Navy, anchors or something. I see nothing wrong with that. I don't have tats, but if the Lord wanted me to, sure. I toyed with this idea, and thought that if I ever did get some, it would be a Cross on 1 hand and a Star Of David on the other. Bye. Romans 14:1-12, Ezekiel 14:1-11, 1 Corinthians 8:1-13

PS: @Ron Coates A lot of ppl do it, don't they?

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor! So we don't look down on it, nor do we celebrate it...

GodsGrace said:
....almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of willingness to receive such an inking.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All things in God's own time. There is no place God is not found. Even in delivering messengers of his truth to the world through the quiet ministry of ink.
The world itself is testament of God, so none are with excuse to say they never knew he was there. :) The wonderful news I received some time ago , as we're speaking of tattoo's, is the introduction of non-toxic inks that are more safe for the tattooed. What a blessing.
@RainAndIceCream A lot of Christians would agree, and seem to think witness-friendly inkings can be really joyful experiences.

(Did you see/vote in the above poll?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ohhhhhh....
@Heart2Soul :)

Actually it seems that very widely today the supposed 'shock value' of a tattoo - that some ppl suppose - just isn't even remotely there. As in GodsGrace's post
....almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.
it's likely that it's not done in order to 'shock'...but really simply it's done because they are adults....(if this makes sense?)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My main issue with tats is this: what are you going to do if one day you decide you don't believe that way, or go out with that girl, anymore? I always have an issue with anyone that worships demons, but if tats are okay in God's eyes, why shouldn't it be in mine? I think it comes back to the Apostle Paul and his teaching that nothing one can put in one's body can make one unclean. Good chattin' with you, Farouk. Shalom.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My main issue with tats is this: what are you going to do if one day you decide you don't believe that way, or go out with that girl, anymore? I always have an issue with anyone that worships demons, but if tats are okay in God's eyes, why shouldn't it be in mine? I think it comes back to the Apostle Paul and his teaching that nothing one can put in one's body can make one unclean. Good chattin' with you, Farouk. Shalom.
@Ron Coates I guess really it's not just about tattoos, period; more about the fact that it's a very widespread medium used in such a varied, diverse way. Of course it used to be such a man thing and still is, though now it's also woman thing; and maybe even more of a woman thing than a man thing, IDK. As regards permanence, I do think that true, saving faith is permanent (the parable of the sower shows the difference between real faith and the fake, temporary variety; and Paul says: "godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of" (2 Corinthians 7.10). Of course, when ppl are truly converted, they may already bear ink which no longer reflects what they now truly believe with all their hearts; e.g., a Christian woman may well already have a tattoo of the name of a former, non-Christian ex-bf, in which case she might very understandably choose to have it changed to something that reflects her true faith now, such as from 'Bill' to 'Bible'; a good artist can often manage to make such a design change successfully. (Seems like widely the parlors are opening up again now.) If all this makes sense? Blessings.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have tats, but if the Lord wanted me to, sure. I toyed with this idea, and thought that if I ever did get some, it would be a Cross on 1 hand and a Star Of David on the other. Bye. Romans 14:1-12, Ezekiel 14:1-11, 1 Corinthians 8:1-13
PS: @Ron Coates

So, this kind of placement?

too-cute-cross-tattoo-on-inner-wrist.jpg
tattooshunt dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I found the tattoo poll interesting.
@Ron Coates Anyway, whatever the opinion, it's totally topical and culturally relevant now, isn't it?

Particularly when
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor
(FHII)

and when :
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types
(GodsGrace).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... take to wearing long sleeve shirts.
@Hidden In Him Well, in our area, where in the supermarket among the check out staff the tattoos seem to appear in May and disappear in October, the long sleeves are more likely because it's winter rather than to hide tattoos. (I saw a quote from the Bible Belt which seems to show just how widespread tattoos are now. People now either just ignore them or use them as friendly conversation-starters.)