Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mink57 Well, I guess it can be both like a personal reminder and also a conversation tool for others.....

I think that in the Vegas parlors you can probably go in and admire the artwork in portfolios, without obligation, anyway.

I agree. I think it could be both.

The other day, I was walking down Fremont Street, and saw two women walking together. They were both wearing shorts, and had tattoos on their calves. Same tattoo. My first thought was, "They MUST be friends".

Then again, I've seen people on a bus who have been covered in tattoos. And some had to do with Bible verses...

...who turned out to become hostile on the bus. Yelling, shouting...getting upset because the driver wouldn't give him a free ride...

*sigh* Takes all kinds, I guess...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I agree. I think it could be both.

The other day, I was walking down Fremont Street, and saw two women walking together. They were both wearing shorts, and had tattoos on their calves. Same tattoo. My first thought was, "They MUST be friends".

Then again, I've seen people on a bus who have been covered in tattoos. And some had to do with Bible verses...

...who turned out to become hostile on the bus. Yelling, shouting...getting upset because the driver wouldn't give him a free ride...

*sigh* Takes all kinds, I guess...
@Mink57 Yes, well...this is what Jar said about hers:

Jar said:
The reason I got this tattoo is because, as a lady from my church said, it's my cheat sheet. It's a reminder, a promise, a rebuke and it's my solace. I put it in a visible spot, so that I could read it. .. This is a permanent mark, one that will never, ever go away and I don't ever want it to. I also think that this is a statement for those who do see it and it's a reminder to myself that this is an incredibly visible tattoo and that I should conduct myself as a proper Christian when sometimes it's easy to forget.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As I have always taught my adult students, there is only one gospel and that must be presented without any compromise! But HOW we p[resent that one gospel can be as varied as there are people on the planet.

@Ronald Nolette Seems like faith based tattoo designs are used widely among young ppl now; all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools.

As @Goldie75 indicates, she seems quite tolerantly open to the idea of young ppl using tattoos as witness tools:

Oh my girls are all in their 20’s and have left home now.

If something facilitates a discussion about the Lord with an unsaved person I’m all for it.

Kind of, getting inked up in a really good cause, right?

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Mine is definitely not a faith-based witnessing tool. ....

@BarnyFife

DaveL even regrets NOT having gotten a faith based tattoo when he was young...:

Dave L said:
I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I only "really don't know" why I got one either when I was in my 20's, other than that it was something to do at the time.
I don't even think I gave it a thought if it was sociably acceptable. And even if it wasn't I probably would of got it anyways.

There are a lot of tatoos and a lot of symbols in the world. And some are taken in and out of context.
And unless you know the heart of the person wearing one, you won't really know what it means to them personally.

@Ziggy When young ppl get to a certain age it seems so often it's what they do at that stage of life.

And so I guess that when they and their friends take turns in getting appointments at the parlor, it's in a sense refreshing that some really want have Bible verses/ref.s tattooed presumably for use as witness tools.

Kind of, nailing one's colors to the mast while still young, so to speak...

2c.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @Lambano You just mentioned Las Vegas on the other thread; Vegas has a lot of tattoo parlors; it's ink scene is well known; I reckon your dw might appreciate visiting without obligation to see the artwork portfolios some day.

(@Mink57 would probably agree.)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Lambano You just mentioned Las Vegas on the other thread; Vegas has a lot of tattoo parlors; it's ink scene is well known; I reckon your dw might appreciate visiting without obligation to see the artwork portfolios some day.
I have a better reason to visit Las Vegas. That good friend who contacted me last week? He lives in Vegas. Good place to retire - Nevada has no state income tax.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Maturing sons and daughters to know him. They know themselves - thats why they say all the time.. I'm just a sinner God will understand, I have a sin nature and the Lord is not through with me. Oh yea you better reread your bible. He purposed something in the creation of the world, and we better find that purpose. He fixed it in you the moment you believed. He purposed it in Himself, before the foundation of the world. We can learn that and save of a lot of skin in doing so - skin will get thin if I never learn.

@soul man If you don't mind I've borrowed a para. from you on another thread from just now because it seems quite applicable here, really.

Getting tattooed is often a sign of a maturing son or daughter becoming a grown man or woman.

As for skin, we do also develop a thick skin, as it were, as tattooees learning by experience to receive faith based designs; and benefiting from experience of life.

(I hope you don't mind these applications but they seemed rather compelling....)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not my thing, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
@michaelvpardo Some ppl might be ashamed of their ink; others - like you say - are not ashamed of it, but it all happened so long ago that they have moved on, so to speak; maybe @2 Chr. 34:19 in what she says is in that category....

2 Chr. 34:19 said:
I have a forty yr old tatt-they look ridiculous on wrinkly old skin :)

Sometimes it may simply indicate a phase that ppl have gone through, maybe many years back.

cc @Ziggy

Reactions: michaelvpardo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was just taking a little poke at the hypocritical element who use the Old Testament to rail against stuff they don't like, but eschew it when it comes to requiring other things of them. :D
@BarnyFife While some ppl seem somehow to relish giving young ppl with Bible verses/ref.s tattooed a hard time; but I certainly wouldn't...........

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@WalterandDebbie
Determined to help his son, Derek underwent a lengthy and painful tattooing process to create an identical mark on his own body.

Appreciated your quote on the other thread.

Seems like a lot of Christians feel its worthwhile getting something faith based; the pain of getting it doesn't seem to matter in comparison with the worthwhile message being expressed for others to see.

All the young ppl with whom I have spoken with Bible verses tattooed seem to have received them for witness tool reasons.

cc @Lambano

Last edited: