Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sure. I’ve seen small and large tats, that are place on the skin boldly and discreetly.

@Taken It is indeed sometimes done heavily, and others have it done discreetly while being strongly motivated to express something faith based:

tattoostime dot com

Years ago there was a male sailor / biker image to tattoos but now also it seems there are so many wholesomely inked up Christian women who modestly radiate what they strongly believe through their faith based designs.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostles were known as the scum of the earth.

To some people with tattoos they are looked at as the scum of the earth.

Doing it for Jesus, who cares what they think.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord is my helper, what shall mere mortals do?

They can tell lies about you, they can try to scare you with intimidation, they can kill you.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Apostles were known as the scum of the earth.

To some people with tattoos they are looked at as the scum of the earth.

Doing it for Jesus, who cares what they think.

@MatthewG It's now become for a lot of Christians such a compelling way of really expressing what they truly believe that some older Christians even regret not having had it done when they were younger:

Dave L said:

I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can get a tattoo at any age you feel like.

Skin sags but you can put it back and make it tight.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@MatthewG

It is now something that seems so compelling to at lot of ppl of all ages, especially in some demographics, and they work as conversation-starters:

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. They are usually great conversation starters with old and young alike. If I have a patient with tattoos I always comment and then they want to see .. In the hospital that I work at you would be hard pressed to find employees without tattoos.. We even have significantly older nurses that .. have tattoos.

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). ... I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged to be told a story that may have only been related to close friends and relatives.

allnurses dot com

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had them inked in for witness reasons.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All four of my kids have at-least 1 on them somewhere. My 2 boys have the most and girls have 1

@Christophany

To a significant extent now it's the younger generation that is really driving getting tattooed, it seems.

Rita said:

there was thought, study, prayer and discernment involved-and I have always had complete peace about it. ..my sons reached 18 and got tattoos. ..With my son's it had nothing to do with my feelings as a Christian, it was more a reality check that they were making decisions ...With me it was more an inspiration
I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me.. their mum, at the age of 50, ..getting a tattoo - they thought it was ' cool '..I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know enough about tattoos to get into it too deep.
God Bless
@Heart2Soul Reminds me also of what Nancy said:

tattoos ... everyone and their grandmothers has them now and, they do not a thing for me, what can I say? Pretty much every one I know, and that includes Christians and myself, have a tattoo so...I am not criticizing anybody here or anywhere...
:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, yes ink is intended as permanent, as well as testifying YES to God is permanent....
@Taken

Philippians 1.6 says: "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

So you can see the analogy of Christians really wanting to get inked up with Bible quote or ref. permanently....

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus I appreciated the Bible verses quoted.

Seen from another perspective, the desire to communicate a message from the Word of God seemed to motivate all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken, anyway...
If and when tattoos work for God, I won't come against God's Way. However! I won't put God in a box by saying that tattoos are generally a good thing. I do not believe that they are!

Did God ever use what men would call lies to accomplish His purpose?

Was/is the "still small voice" God used with Elijah the always and only right Way to speak to men?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

PS: Actually the evidence is that a lot of older ppl are getting them as well.

Heavenhome said:

My dear Dad had two tattoos but that was from his navy days.
I have noticed however that lots of young girls have them and what is really noticeable is a huge amount are women say around their sixties .
christianforums

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The "still small voice" who I greatly desire to "hear"
again
J.
@Johann So do you think that this kind of witness can be communicated through a tattoo in a faith design?

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them for witness tool reasons, anyway...