Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

Maybe you saw shnarkle's post from a while ago?

shnarkle said:

Often it depends on the design of the tattoo as to whether it can in some circumstances be edifying...

Sounds like an elderly group of 3 widows who made a tat pack. :p

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have regrets from life but my tattoo isn't one of them.
@devin553344

Others on this forum have said similarly.

For you, it identifies you as a military man.

As Heart2Soul said:

I really like some of them. .. it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos

For a lot of ppl, it's becoming a tool ppl are using to let others identify their faith, as Heart2Soul says.

It's highly likely that a lot of ppl go joyfully into the tattoo parlor.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano

To some extent they may be a generational thing.

Ink and nose studs are regarded widely as benign choices, even if in your MIL's earlier years they were less widespread, right?
I feel confident in saying that very few American women wore nose studs in the 1920s and 30s.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Before the actual moment when the machine finally started injecting the ink, it was probably a combination of another tattooee's satisfied recommendation plus your London friend's checking out and receiving quotes from 2 or 3 artists before she felt "ready" with the comfort level to proceed.
It'll be interesting to have this discussion, but when she comes to visit in July.
If I can remember, I'll keep you posted...
:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It'll be interesting to have this discussion, but when she comes to visit in July.
If I can remember, I'll keep you posted...
:)
@GodsGrace Sounds like you guys will have a lot to discuss...especially since you won't have seen her before with her ink.

I think at least in the 20s would be a good age to start.

Sounds like your friend waiting a good deal longer than in her 20s...maybe in July she'll tell you why...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Old habits die hard! Especially in old crusty salts!!!:) Too many people have the mindset that if I didn't do it, it probably isn't good.
@Ronald Nolette Tends come and go and come round again; what some ppl reject because it's supposedly new may actually be well established historically.

FYI:

"Surprisingly, one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe...to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

Something to bear in mind next time legalists try to give someone a hard time...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronald Nolette

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Sounds like you guys will have a lot to discuss...especially since you won't have seen her before with her ink.

Sounds like your friend waiting a good deal longer than in her 20s...maybe in July she'll tell you why...
Right.
She's in her late 40's, I believe.
At least her 40's.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right.
She's in her late 40's, I believe.
At least her 40's.
@GodsGrace It's also something that 18 years olds expect to do these days, in huge numbers, with 17 year olds ticking off the months and weeks in anticipation.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools.... Seems like it's something they have been eager to acquire, anyway.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
just letting you know I can't offer much more to what has already been shared....I don't know enough about tattoos to get into it too deep.
God Bless
@Heart2Soul Fine; although a tattoo parlor really is a good place for ear piercing. (Isn't it? I think you know quite a bit about things than can go wrong with putting earrings in.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I learned that I can achieve much more than I originally thought I could. It was from experiencing suffering up to the point of death that I succeeded in service in the military. They truly pushed me to the point near death and I passed thru successful in all things. I had stress fractures in my legs and had to stay out of running for a week but I completed the final run even with stress fractures.

And the whole time I had a-typical cystic fibrosis and some schizophrenic symptoms I was dealing with. But I graduated from Marine Corps boot camp successful and went onto MOS school and really enjoyed my time in the military.
@devin553344 So I guess for you your tattoo in the circumstances that you obtained it is really meaningful as a former military man, right?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Have to say, there are plenty of OLDER, especially females, who seem to think copying younger women, tatting, baring skin, is appealing. YIKES.
@Taken I reckon also that as far of ppl being aware, climate has a lot to do with it.

For example up here at supermarkets tops with sleeves might be worn for the long winter months, while when May and the warm months arrive, suddenly the sleeveless ones - and the tattoos on the arms - will appear....only to disappear for a few months again...

But my guess is that for supermarkets in Texas and Florida, the arm tattoos are visible year round at the check outs (if this sounds like it would be accurate?)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I reckon also that as far of ppl being aware, climate has a lot to do with it.

For example up here at supermarkets tops with sleeves might be worn for the long winter months, while when May and the warm months arrive, suddenly the sleeveless ones - and the tattoos on the arms - will appear....only to disappear for a few months again...

But my guess is that for supermarkets in Texas and Florida, the arm tattoos are visible year round at the check outs (if this sounds like it would be accurate?)

Of course I understand light weight type clothing in warm weather.
Mal-Wart has to be the biggest well known store for patrons wearing (and sort of wearing) Weird clothing, that should be an embarrassment to the one wearing, but apparently isn’t.