Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Dropship So do you think that tattoos are inherently bad / good; or more depending on what one makes of them?

I think they harmless as long as they're not pictures of satan or some satanic or cultish symbol.
I don't have any tats myself because the thought of having any simply never crossed my mind..:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
so many people and friends I know have them. All four of my kids have at-least 1 on them somewhere. My 2 boys have the most and girls have 1 but you really can't see them.
@Christophany So did you happen to know beforehand when all your kids in turn were going to get tattooed?

....Or maybe the ink just....appeared and so you found out about it, one by one?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Both ways lol.
@Christophany I think for young ppl at around 18 such is the general strong assumption that they are going to visit the tattoo parlor as they cross the threshold of adulthood, that some Christian young ppl assume it and make a point of planning something faith based as a talking point.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's a matter of conscience, IMO.
Everyone who gets one has to be convinced in his own mind that it's okay (Romans 14:5, Romans 14:22).
And so I think it best to not counsel anyone either way on whether to get one.
@Ferris Bueller

Like I mentioned, I think for young ppl at around 18 such is the general strong assumption that they are going to visit the tattoo parlor as they cross the threshold of adulthood, that some Christian young ppl assume it and make a point of planning something faith based as a talking point.

It's something they just go ahead and do, without anyone having to persuade them to do it.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If a tattoo was a starting point in getting someone saved I think it’s a good thing.
@Michiah-Imla If young ppl are using tattooed Bible verses to witness to their friends, hard to see why someone would want to try to dissuade them, right?

I think for young ppl at around 18 such is the general strong assumption that they are going to visit the tattoo parlor as they cross the threshold of adulthood, that some Christian young ppl assume it and make a point of planning something faith based as a talking point.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have any tats myself because the thought of having any simply never crossed my mind..:)
@Dropship This is great!

The comment can also be turned around in the case of many young ppl. I think for young ppl at around 18 such is the general strong assumption that they are going to visit the tattoo parlor as they cross the threshold of adulthood, that some Christian young ppl assume it and make a point of planning something faith based as a talking point.

Reactions: Dropship

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You make good points @farouk
@Michiah-Imla I think anyway it's hard to argue to an 18 year old - the age at which tattoos start to be done, so often - that tattoos should only be decorative, or secular in message.

Many Christian young ppl get Bible verses tattooed and indeed use them to talk to other young ppl.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed whom I have talked seem to have received them as tools for personal witness.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
so many people and friends I know have them. All four of my kids have at-least 1 on them somewhere.
@Christophany Yes, for many young Christians the parlor visit has become not obligatory but almost.

So do you think any of your 4 kids are planning any more parlor visits?

For young Christians it seems like a faith based tattoos offers a highly effective way of obtaining a talking point among their friends about something dear to their hearts that they indeed want to talk about.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
LOL! Yes, I live in Vegas right now...wanting to move. And yes, there are quite a few tattoo parlors here.

While I'm not so much into tattoos, I DO appreciate the artistry of some to be amazing.
@Mink57 FYI....did you see that someone - @dhh712 - who lived in Vegas many years just joined?

Yes, some of the artistry is amazing; one could spend hours just looking at all the portfolio artwork in Vegas parlors, without obligation, right?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m still not sold on marking your body. Sure, if good and salvation come as a result of a tattoo, good and well. I’ll leave it to each his own.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
tattooed on some part of your body....
@Mink57

Seems like the fact that in Vegas there are so many tattoo parlors would be because so many ppl find it so compelling to do.

Like, ppl have it done for so many varied reasons. Why one man or woman does it may not bear relation to why someone else would do it.

Yet all together, it makes for such a huge trend that likely isn't going to go away, presumably.

I understand that one of the Vegas tattoo parlors specializes in tattoo calligraphy.

Sometimes Bible verses and ref.s are gotten in rather ornate calligraphy.

That being said, I guess point of a Bible verse tattoo becoming a talking point is to have it readable, which I suppose implies not having in lettering that is too ornate to be easily understood...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mantis

FYI: I saw this quote.

"Surprisingly, one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe...to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

Whether it was surprising then, it's not surprising now.

The fact that as well as men so many women now naturally and confidently visit tattoo artists is really a reassertion of a very well established historic trend already seen in the 19th century.

(A lot of ppl don't realize this.)

Christians who do realize this often also regard it as providing huge scope for faith, family, Scripture related designs that become easy talking points on subjects that the wearer likely indeed wants to talk about.

Reactions: Mantis

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Dropship You're right; to some ppl it never occurs to them to get any ink.

Then again, these days at 18, it's almost a spontaneous thing for 18 year olds to make their tattoo parlor appointment. All the young ppl that I have talked to with Bible verses tattooed seem to have received them as witness tools, anyway.