Faith: True and False

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "Sit at my feet, Grasshopper" stuff can get old at times, especially from folks who wander in and do their best to make themselves feel unwelcome.

:hearteyes:
"Sit at my feet, Grasshopper" is putting it mildly--it's more like, "Worship at my feet!"

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Now Emunah is the substance of things for which we have tikvah. Emunah is the conviction of things not seen.
Copying scripture holds no weight. Anyone can copy scripture. This doesn't mean you consciously understand what Faith is.

Explain it in your own words. Articulate it. Have some conciouse input. A machine with a simple program can reproduce scripture.

If you cannot articulate something in your own words, its proof you have no idea what it means.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Copying scripture holds no weight. Anyone can copy scripture. This doesn't mean you consciously understand what Faith is.

Explain it in your own words. Articulate it. Have some conciouse input. A machine with a simple program can reproduce scripture.

If you cannot articulate something in your own words, its proof you have no idea what it means.

1) "Now faith is," (estindepistis)"Now (moreover) faith is or (exists) as,” first a spiritual gift from God, without acceptance and use of which no person can be saved, except by voluntarily accepting, as a sinner, this gift from God and placing it in Jesus Christ to save him, Eph_2:8-9; Joh_1:11-12; 1Co_13:13.

2) "The substance of things hoped for," (elpizomenon hupostasis) "Reality (the undergirding) of things being hoped," It is the pier or foundation of things for which one hopes in this life, Heb_6:19-20. For hope that anchors the soul must be based on faith in Jesus Christ; Thus faith is the sustaining, undergirding substance of all Christian hope, without which no one can please God, Heb_11:6; Rom_5:5.

3) "The evidence of things not seen," (pragmaton legchos ou blepomenon) "And it exists (as) proof of pragmatic or practical things not being seen," at this moment - none-the-less real, however 2Co_4:17-18; 1Co_2:9; Joh_14:1-3; 2Co_5:1; 1Jn_3:1-3. God has many things undreamt awaiting those who thru faith know and love him, Rev_5:9-10.

Heb 11:1 Ἔστιν Estin|G1510|V-PIA-3S|Is δὲ de|G1161|Conj|now πίστις pistis|G4102|N-NFS|faith ἐλπιζομένων elpizomenōn|G1679|V-PPM/P-GNP|of [things] hoped for ὑπόστασις, hypostasis|G5287|N-NFS|[the] assurance, πραγμάτων pragmatōn|G4229|N-GNP|of things ἔλεγχος elenchos|G1650|N-NMS|[the] conviction οὐ ou|G3756|Adv|not βλεπομένων. blepomenōn|G991|V-PPM/P-GNP|being seen.

Shalom
J.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God given faith is very easy to understand.

Gods in control of our lives..once you can let go of “ self”:and surrender to the will of God, by walking in Faith/ Trust.
The thing is though ..God must plant that faith into your heart, as it’s a manifestation of the Spirit...if that faith was from God, then trust me, your faith will grow and flourish...I’m not saying you won’t have hard times, of course we will, how can our faith be exercised without hard times and suffering.

I put my trust 100% in God...thank God my faith is Alive and Active....it’s not dead....and I don’t need to understand it by reading about it on the internet, then copying and pasting.

I have a Living relationship with God via his Holy Spirit as I’m Born Of The Spirit.

In the same way that repentance is granted by God (Acts 11:18; 2 Tim. 2:25), faith is also a supernatural gift of God. Ephesians 2:8–9 affirms this: “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.”

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...faith is also a supernatural gift of God. Ephesians 2:8–9 affirms this: “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
To what does the "that" in Ephesians 2:8-9 refer?

τοῦτο ("this" or "that"): Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular
πίστεως· ("faith"): Noun - Genitive Singular Feminine

So, by the rules of Greek grammar, the gift of God cannot refer directly to "faith", or "that" would be in the feminine gender αὕτη. What the verse does say is that salvation through faith is the gift of God. This is a subtlety of Greek that gets lost in the English translation.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To what does the "that" in Ephesians 2:8-9 refer?

τοῦτο ("this" or "that"): Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular
πίστεως· ("faith"): Noun - Genitive Singular Feminine

So, by the rules of Greek grammar, the gift of God cannot refer directly to "faith", or "that" would be in the feminine gender. What it does say is that being saved through faith is the gift of God. This is a subtlety of Greek that gets lost in the English translation.
We must be Born Again before we can receive the gift of Faith from God.

I’m not led by you...I’m led by the Holy Spirit...not the intellect..I understand that of spiritual matters and not of the intellect, as I’m led by the Spirit and have received the Spirit into my heart.

You don’t need no Greek grammar to know you are Born Again..you only need the Spirit of God who testifies with our spirit that we are Gods children....as we were chosen/ predestined to be Born Again.

I only answer to God...my testimony and belief and I don’t need to prove to you or anyone else, that I received the gift of Faith when I became Born Of The Spirit..

My faith that has grown...is the most precious gift anyone can receive...it must be God given though...that’s a supernatural act that only God can do, as we all know.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just sayin' that the Bible doesn't say what you think it says.
Back it up with scripture then?....instead of you just saying...do you honestly think I’d take your word over Gods word,,,lol,hehehe...your word didn’t even penetrate..it went straight over my head, where it belongs...hehehe...only Gods word can penetrate what?

And by the way...the Holy Spirit is Alive And Active..he’s not a book that you read.....that’s why you must be Born Again as the Bible is written in the Spirit?

The Holy Spirit is Alive and he’s Alive and Active in our heart/ spirit?

Best we stay talking about faith..plenty of Born Again threads, where we can speak in Spirit?....speaking in the flesh is “ Boring”.., if you want to discuss the “ Living Holy Spirit “ post in the Born Again threads.

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost

Therefore understood in the Spirit? @Lambano

For we are none of His without the Spirit....also biblical.

1 Corinthians 12​

King James Version​

12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:9 said:
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

What's interesting about this verse is that in the context of the whole chapter 12, it says that this particular "faith" is only given to SOME of the members of the Body of Christ. Others speak "words of wisdom" (let it be), do miracles, discern spirits, prophesy, etc. Right now, I could do with those gifts of healings, but apparently this is not God's will for me.

Oh well. I'll have to apply the "more excellent way" in the next chapter.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) "Now faith is," (estindepistis)"Now (moreover) faith is or (exists) as,” first a spiritual gift from God, without acceptance and use of which no person can be saved, except by voluntarily accepting, as a sinner, this gift from God and placing it in Jesus Christ to save him, Eph_2:8-9; Joh_1:11-12; 1Co_13:13.

2) "The substance of things hoped for," (elpizomenon hupostasis) "Reality (the undergirding) of things being hoped," It is the pier or foundation of things for which one hopes in this life, Heb_6:19-20. For hope that anchors the soul must be based on faith in Jesus Christ; Thus faith is the sustaining, undergirding substance of all Christian hope, without which no one can please God, Heb_11:6; Rom_5:5.

3) "The evidence of things not seen," (pragmaton legchos ou blepomenon) "And it exists (as) proof of pragmatic or practical things not being seen," at this moment - none-the-less real, however 2Co_4:17-18; 1Co_2:9; Joh_14:1-3; 2Co_5:1; 1Jn_3:1-3. God has many things undreamt awaiting those who thru faith know and love him, Rev_5:9-10.

Heb 11:1 Ἔστιν Estin|G1510|V-PIA-3S|Is δὲ de|G1161|Conj|now πίστις pistis|G4102|N-NFS|faith ἐλπιζομένων elpizomenōn|G1679|V-PPM/P-GNP|of [things] hoped for ὑπόστασις, hypostasis|G5287|N-NFS|[the] assurance, πραγμάτων pragmatōn|G4229|N-GNP|of things ἔλεγχος elenchos|G1650|N-NMS|[the] conviction οὐ ou|G3756|Adv|not βλεπομένων. blepomenōn|G991|V-PPM/P-GNP|being seen.

Shalom
J.
What do your believe the first century Christian’s longed to see?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So when things go badly... it's God doing it?
What?

What on earth are you talking about...please clarify your riddle of a post.

This member has just put his own words into my mouth!...don’t do it!

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,"
Exodus 34:6, KJV

"O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him."
Psalm 34:8, KJV

"For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations."
Psalm 100:5, KJV

"Oh that ‭men‭ would praise the LORD ‭for‭ his goodness, and ‭for‭ his wonderful works to the children of men!‭"
Psalm 107:8, KJV

"Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant."
Psalm 135:3, KJV

"The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works."
Psalm 145:9, KJV

"The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD."
Jeremiah 33:11, KJV

"The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him."
Lamentations 3:25, KJV

"The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him."
Nahum 1:7, KJV

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you point me to where your threads on Calvin are Brother...I’m really interested in reading them?
Well if I get a few hours to scan through threads I will see if I can find some that I have participated in.

Question for you. Have you become the spokesperson for Behold? All this is directed at him and you seem to be answering for him.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well if I get a few hours to scan through threads I will see if I can find some that I have participated in.

Question for you. Have you become the spokesperson for Behold? All this is directed at him and you seem to be answering for him.
I’ve done no such thing, @Behold can stand on the word of God himself.

I asked you where your threads about Calvin are that was all...

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve done no such thing, @Behold can stand on the word of God himself.

I asked you where your threads about Calvin are that was all...
Okay then. As I said when I get a few hours where I can go through all the threads I participated in on Calvinism vs. Armeniaism I will let you know. But until Behold answers with support the charges he has made against Calvin and many believers here, I am not interested in starting a new thread sao he can just make accusations and then run behind his fancy word games and slandering of people.