Faith: True and False

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could the Holy Spirit... THE Spirit of Truth... not point out error when Jesus said the Holy Ghost would lead us in to all Truth (John 16:13), and Jesus said God's Word IS Truth (John 17:17)?

There are warnings in the New Testament to separate from those that teach false doctrine, so I'm thinking the Holy Ghost would be teaching this to people in these religions that actually get born again.

If they do not get out of the false religions, then satan has massive opportunity to choke the Word of God out of them (Mark 4:13-20) dragging them back in to the false religion and they end up being lost.

I've read some of the testimonies of folks belonging to false religions that actually got born again and all of them say the first thing the Lord put on their heart was to separate from the false religion and get outta dodge!

I used to belong to a social club they claimed was a church and as I grew in understanding of God's Word I found out they were teaching various tenets of reformed theology and eventually the Lord revealed to me that He wanted me to depart from these folks.
It took the Holy Spirit a minimum of three years to correct Peter.
Just because we have the Spirit doesn't mean our understanding or doctrine is automatically perfect.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a neutral fact--that is not a denunciation of Peter.
That's just it. That's not a fact, not at all. It's dispensational. Jesus came to the lost sheep of Israel. Don't go the gentiles, He told His disciples. And a time came when that was formally changed. God did that through Peter, his vision of the sheet, his visit with Cornelius.

That was not God "correcting poor errant Peter", it was God announcing the beginning of something new.

We can talk about it if you like, but later.

Much love!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's just it. That's not a fact, not at all. It's dispensational. Jesus came to the lost sheep of Israel. Don't go the gentiles, He told His disciples. And a time came when that was formally changed. God did that through Peter, his vision of the sheet, his visit with Cornelius.

That was not God "correcting poor errant Peter", it was God announcing the beginning of something new.

We can talk about it if you like, but later.

Much love!
Unless you're saying there was a years-long process after the death and resurrection of Christ only after which Gentiles could be saved, and that it wasn't the case that Gentiles could be saved immediately following Christ's death and resurrection, then, yes, Peter lacked understanding of the Gospel all that time--and, either way, I am not denouncing Peter.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks I'm not going to keep repeating myself and being misrepresented--I've been correcting you for pages of responses now--so, going forward, I'd prefer you not communicate with me on this. You probably don't want to be involved anyway. Maybe that's why you're not understanding--you're not paying attention in the first place.

Maybe we'll talk about some other topic in the future.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks I'm not going to keep repeating myself and being misrepresented--I've been correcting you for pages of responses now--so, going forward, I'd prefer you not communicate with me on this. You probably don't want to be involved anyway. Maybe that's why you're not understanding--you're not paying attention in the first place.

Maybe we'll talk about some other topic in the future.
We don't have to discuss anything you don't want to. Obviously there is some big misunderstanding going on. If you've been arguing for POV's that you don't actually hold that can be confusing. Regardless, your participation or non-participation is up to you.

Much love!

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And of course if there is a problem... it's with us, not the Holy Spirit.
I'm saying that being led by the Spirit apparently doesn't mean having every doctrine perfect right away--even though Christ had already told them "Go make disciples of all nations", Peter still didn't understand Gentiles could be saved, and he wasn't corrected until years later.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 1 - from resurrection to ascent
Acts 2 - Pentecost and the new church
Acts 3 - Preaching in the temple
Acts 4 - Persecution, preaching, the church grows
Acts 5 - Ananias and Sapphira, Signs and Wonders, preaching and persecution
Acts 6 - 7 Deacons, Stephen's persecution
Acts 7 - Stephen's defense and martyrdom
Acts 8 - The Gospel goes to Samaria, the Ethiopian eunuch
Acts 9 - The conversion of Saul, Peter goes to Joppa
Acts 10 - The conversion of Cornelius, the Gospel goes to the gentiles
Acts 11 - Peter's defense,

Acts 11:18 KJV
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

To the Jew first, and then to the Gentile.

First to Israel,

Acts 2:14 KJV
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Then to Samaria,

Acts 8:14-16 KJV
14) Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15) Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16) (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Then to the Gentiles,

Acts 10:44-47 KJV
44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45) And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Acts 11:15-18 KJV
15) And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16) Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17) Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18) When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

God did a new thing through Peter, surprising not only Peter, but all the others as well.

Much love!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't have to discuss anything you don't want to. Obviously there is some big misunderstanding going on. If you've been arguing for POV's that you don't actually hold that can be confusing. Regardless, your participation or non-participation is up to you.

Much love!
My participation in my thread will continue, I only asked that you no longer burden me on that topic.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

First to Israel,

But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Then to Samaria,

14) Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15) Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16) (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Then to the Gentiles,

44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45) And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

15) And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16) Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17) Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18) When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

God did a new thing through Peter, surprising not only Peter, but all the others as well.

Much love!
Jesus had already told them to go to the nations, but none of them had understood.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First to Israel,

Then to Samaria,

Then to the Gentiles,

Much love!
"To the Jew first" had already occurred, and the command to go to the nations had already been given, but they hadn't understood.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying that being led by the Spirit apparently doesn't mean having every doctrine perfect right away--even though Christ had already told them "Go make disciples of all nations", Peter still didn't understand Gentiles could be saved, and he wasn't corrected until years later.

This is true... so Peter was in error by not paying attention to what the Lord said.

I've found in my life there have been times when the Lord didn't immediately correct me on things I've already seen in His Word. It's why it's good to go back and read the Word of God over and over, to feed on it so we don't let things slip.

It's our responsibility to pay attention to what the Lord has already said since that does not change.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true... so Peter was in error by not paying attention to what the Lord said.

I've found in my life there have been times when the Lord didn't immediately correct me on things I've already seen in His Word. It's why it's good to go back and read the Word of God over and over, to feed on it so we don't let things slip.

It's our responsibility to pay attention to what the Lord has already said since that does not change.
He was unknowingly not in complete truth, but was living truth as best as he knew in the meantime, and was yet acceptable to God in his apparent imperfection God knew about.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"To the Jew first" had already occurred, and the command to go to the nations had already been given, but they hadn't understood.
Maybe the misunderstanding is yours.. it’s my opinion that the nations in the first century that Jesus was sending them too was the nations of Israel.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was unknowingly not in complete truth, but was living truth as best as he knew in the meantime, and was yet acceptable to God in his apparent imperfection God knew about.

Maybe Peter was on bathroom break when Jesus said...

Matthew 28:19,20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

I'm thinking he let this slip and the Lord had to remind him which is why the Lord gave him that vision to get him back on the right path.

I'd think Peter was aware of what the Lord said about going to the nations teaching the things the Lord has taught them.

• Haha

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the misunderstanding is yours.. it’s my opinion that the nations in the first century that Jesus was sending them too was the nations of Israel.

No, Israel had already rejected Jesus and the Lord had ceased His ministry to them due to their rejection of Him... so "nations" means all the other nations and in the gentile nations

Matthew 21:42, Acts 4:11 and Mark 12:10 speak of Jesus as the cornerstone which the builders rejected.

1 Peter 2:7 discusses this rejection of Jesus with this reference similar wording in Psalm 118:22: The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe Peter was on bathroom break when Jesus said...

Matthew 28:19,20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

I'm thinking he let this slip and the Lord had to remind him which is why the Lord gave him that vision to get him back on the right path.

I'd think Peter was aware of what the Lord said about going to the nations teaching the things the Lord has taught them.
Yeah, or else he thought Christ, by that, had meant "Go into all the nations and teach the Jews who are dispersed/in diaspora among the nations." He didn't get it. He also didn't get that he wasn't under dietary restrictions. But it shows God's mercy and love toward us that God didn't just leave him but accepted him in his imperfection. Sorta like how Romans 14 discusses--though one would think that this would belong in another category.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Israel had already rejected Jesus and the Lord had ceased His ministry to them due to their rejection of Him... so "nations" means all the other nations and in the gentile nations

Matthew 21:42, Acts 4:11 and Mark 12:10 speak of Jesus as the cornerstone which the builders rejected.

1 Peter 2:7 discusses this rejection of Jesus with this reference similar wording in Psalm 118:22: The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
The way I see it is in the Acts Jews were being added to the church clear up to the destruction of the temple.

Maybe also consider that no one could receive Jesus until the gifting of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first Christians are almost exclusively Jews. I think Luke was a gentile, but in the beginning they were pretty much just Jews getting born again.