feasts of charity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi John, it’ll most likely be later tonight before Vickie has a chance to respond. She only just got finished serving dinner to all of us here in the home, she’s riding across town right now to go and feed her soon to be 90 year old mother. I can’t fully know her heart for only God can, but I can in observation say, She’s a servant and I believe this is what God requires.
As far as teacher.... well, she’s taught me a lot, but only since learning to listen.
Give God the glory!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my mind I’ve always envisioned the Pharisees performing the Lord’s Supper? Did they?
Pharisees -- unless they were converted believers -- had nothing to do with the Lord's Supper.

While we only see the negative aspects of the Pharisees in Scripture, it is important to understand that first and foremost they were earnest religious Jews. Had all of them believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and been truly converted, they would have been a huge asset to the Church.

Nonetheless many Pharisees did become believers, but many of them also insisted that the Law of Moses was still valid for Christians. Paul himself was a Pharisee of the Pharisee, but he was genuinely converted.

Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi John, it’ll most likely be later tonight before Vickie has a chance to respond. She only just got finished serving dinner to all of us here in the home, she’s riding across town right now to go and feed her soon to be 90 year old mother. I can’t fully know her heart for only God can, but I can in observation say, She’s a servant and I believe this is what God requires.
As far as teacher.... well, she’s taught me a lot, but only since learning to listen.

Ok...
Then when you get the chance to explain...

I am regularly the one who breaks young pups to give them a real start in a career. Most of them are thugs. I don't dare let them get away with pride until I tell them they did good.

And if she wants answers...
More than happy to provide them in an easy to understand fashion.
BUT
When I read nothing but confusion and trying to take a position of authority... gonna get the boot.
And all I have to go on is what I read in her posts.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gives grace to the Humble but opposes the proud.
God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Can't help it...I learned it from God.
You should learn to recognize the difference between the Right hand and the Left hand of God.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...
Then when you get the chance to explain...

I am regularly the one who breaks young pups to give them a real start in a career. Most of them are thugs. I don't dare let them get away with pride until I tell them they did good.

And if she wants answers...
More than happy to provide them in an easy to understand fashion.
BUT
When I read nothing but confusion and trying to take a position of authority... gonna get the boot.
And all I have to go on is what I read in her posts.
So your the authority, how does this align with humility?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pharisees -- unless they were converted believers -- had nothing to do with the Lord's Supper.

While we only see the negative aspects of the Pharisees in Scripture, it is important to understand that first and foremost they were earnest religious Jews. Had all of them believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and been truly converted, they would have been a huge asset to the Church.

Nonetheless many Pharisees did become believers, but many of them also insisted that the Law of Moses was still valid for Christians. Paul himself was a Pharisee of the Pharisee, but he was genuinely converted.
You would think if they were truly earnest and religious they would have been keeping the feasts and helping the poor.
Apparently Jesus called them out and told them they were walking dead men.
Twice plucked up with no fruit even..
Hugs

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should learn to recognize the difference between the Right hand and the Left hand of God.
Whatever in the world that means...

Has nothing to do with anything I've ever heard. Must be something you cooked up in your head or you are parroting it from someone else.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever in the world that means...

Has nothing to do with anything I've ever heard. Must be something you cooked up in your head or you are parroting it from someone else.
"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal." Matt 25:31-46

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal." Matt 25:31-46
I certainly need to work on my table manners.

Reactions: amadeus

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And how do you KNOW that you are not a goat?
What makes you think that I am for sure?
Miles are a ticking by...

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You would think if they were truly earnest and religious they would have been keeping the feasts and helping the poor.
Apparently Jesus called them out and told them they were walking dead men.
Twice plucked up with no fruit even..
Hugs
Maybe they were glutinous?

Reactions: Ziggy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how do you KNOW that you are not a goat?
What makes you think that I am for sure?
Miles are a ticking by...
I posted the verses. I asked some questions and made some suggestions. I have some positive knowledge about @VictoryinJesus and I know a little about her ways on this forum. Part of my replies came from that limited knowledge. I really made no final judgment about you nor do I now although I cannot help but consider things based on your responses. What do I know about you other than what you have posted. How can I know your heart or what the situation is between you and God?

The way that I have found to check myself, [for if we are deluded due to a lack of love for the Truth, how can we know?] is to go to the lowest room each day and start all over again with nothing... For me it works. I cannot speak for you:

"When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:8-11

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how is feasts in the OT different than His words of the New ‘you must eat of My flesh and drink of My blood or there is no Life in you.’ His asking ‘does this offend you also?

If you take it carnally or literally.. it offends me.

But when Jesus broke "bread" he said this is my body. Bread is the "Word" which we share among brethren.
Whether through prophecying or teaching or psalms.. that list

1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

This to me is breaking bread, sharing his Word, his body, his flesh.

The wine.. is the blood.. now throughout the OT and even in the NT everyone both Jew and Gentile are told to abstain from blood.

Lev 17:12 Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.

Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

The life is in the blood.
Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Now if you were to say I need to eat his Word and drink his Spirit.. I find no offence whatsoever.

So the question is: Did Jesus mean literally or spiritually?

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

So that's where I stand on that issue.

Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Lately, I have so many questions and thoughts (right or wrong)about the Lord’s Supper. Questions regarding the breaking of bread and the giving of wine. Not to be offensive but Catholic’s are often compared to the Pharisees, dressed in the best priests robes, in the highest seats, in ritual of passing of the bread and cups for another to take and eat of His presence. As is the pope. Which brought up a question I have about the Pharisees. Did the Pharisees hold or practice communion? When the Pharisees, unless I’ve misunderstood, were before the Lord teaching one must eat of his flesh and drink of his blood...which when those heard, even his disciples, they had never heard such a thing before. John 6:32-34 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. [33] For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. [34] Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

In my mind I’ve always envisioned the Pharisees performing the Lord’s Supper? Did they? When did the breaking of Bread begin? Another member had posted of ‘feasts of charity’? In Jude 1:12-13 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; [13] Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

how is feasts in the OT different than His words of the New ‘you must eat of My flesh and drink of My blood or there is no Life in you.’ His asking ‘does this offend you also?

‘feast of charity’ makes me think of
1 Corinthians 11:23-26 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Another thought on Jude is
1) spots in your feast of charity
Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

2)feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds;
Carried about of winds ...Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

3) trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; [13] Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
James 1:6-7 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. [7] For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Churning, foaming out shame, wandering, tossed to and fro Luke 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; ...For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. ...carried about by every wind of doctrine and sleight of men waiting to deceive...feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds of every doctrine ...without water 1 John 2:27-28 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you:

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Spirit teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Realize that is a lot of scriptures but so many come to mind in what is ‘feasts of Charity’ ...even 1 Corinthians 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. Hebrews 6:13-14 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, [14] Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.

1 Corinthians 13:3-8 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. [4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. [8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Luke 24:30-32 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. [31] And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight. [32] And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Luke 24:35 And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.

‘And how he was known of them in the breaking of bread’ ... yet also the beware of ’spots’ feeding themselves without fear. 1 Corinthians 11:17-18 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. [18] For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves ...Jude 1:23-24 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. [24] Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
...how he was known of them in breaking of bread.

1 Corinthians 11:21-24 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. [22] What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not. [23] For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
@VictoryinJesus Luke 24 shows the transition from the Passover to the Lord's Supper; one looking forward to the Cross in symbol; the other to look back to the Cross.

The pharisees had nothing to do with that transition.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your not a goat JDB.
Amadeus is sure that I am.

I don't mind...I've been called much worse by people who are my friends. My ears are rather used to the abuse.

And where I've skimmed through a lot of this...I have yet to see simple and accurate information related here...

But ya'll keep on.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW...
Never seen an OP who knew so little but tries to be an educator.

Doesn't know what and who a Pharisee was.
Insults Christians...AKA God's Servants.
Doesn't understand scripture.
Doesn't know history
Doesn't know what a feast was for.

Feast of Stephen is one of my favorite things. I practice it regularly every year. So does most of Christiandom.

Good luck!

I’m not sure what I said that was so offensive in the OP? maybe you can tell me what it was? When I mentioned not wanting to be offensive...what I meant was by some topics that usually bring with it a lot of bashing. I wasn’t meaning to bash anyone but had questions. Truly, I’ve been thinking about how I really do not know what the breaking of bread is. Or what ‘in your feast of charity’ is, and was only giving the verses that came to mind during study.

What is ‘Feast of Stephen’?

Reactions: amadeus