First step of everlasting life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:3 offers us the first step of everlasting life, for it we must come to know God and His son Jesus.

How do we come to know them? Clearly the best way is to study the word of God in His Holy Bible that was given to us. It is the only book that was inspired by Him.

What can we expect to learn from the Bible? The Bible answers these important questions: How did life begin? Why are we here? Why do innocent people suffer? What happens when a person dies? If everyone wants peace, why is there so much war? What will happen to the earth in the future? The Bible encourages us to seek answers to such questions, and millions have found its answers very satisfying.

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess most people don't WANT TO know.

Matt 7:13- Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14- For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess most people don't WANT TO know.

Matt 7:13- Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14- For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

I can't deny that sir, although it seems totally illogical to me. I often ask what does Jehovah require of you that is so God awful that you are willing to sacrifice your everlasting life for it? I have only had one person who answered that question.

Does that seem like a reasonable question to ask sir?

Reactions: theQuestioneer

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:3 offers us the first step of everlasting life, for it we must come to know God and His son Jesus.

How do we come to know them? Clearly the best way is to study the word of God in His Holy Bible that was given to us. It is the only book that was inspired by Him.

What can we expect to learn from the Bible? The Bible answers these important questions: How did life begin? Why are we here? Why do innocent people suffer? What happens when a person dies? If everyone wants peace, why is there so much war? What will happen to the earth in the future? The Bible encourages us to seek answers to such questions, and millions have found its answers very satisfying.
The first step is to love God!

That verse " to know thee the only true God and Jesus" means we need to do something indeed... to love God as He has loved us even before we were first drawn to Him. If our purpose is focused primarily on the rewards offered to overcomers including Eternal Life, then we miss the boat for sure.

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I Cor 2:9

Lots of promises understood clearly or not so clearly, but without our love for Him, forget about those promises... eternal Life too!

Without the first step ultimately nothing else matters:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.: I Cor 13:1-3

Last edited:

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just wondering how did the earlier Christians come to know eternal life? Seeing they didn’t have bibles as we do today. Not to mention most didn’t even know how to read.

Reactions: soul man

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering how did the earlier Christians come to know eternal life? Seeing they didn’t have bibles as we do today. Not to mention most didn’t even know how to read.

They had individual letters and book, and then word of mouth- all accentuated by the spirit!

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They had individual letters and book, and then word of mouth- all accentuated by the spirit!
What your saying is not factual. The churches were people meeting in homes. They would go from house to house. I believe my God is bigger than that. The apostle said you don’t need man teach you anything after your saved. The Holy Spirit will. Thanks be unto God for all those that can’t read or denied the right to read bibles as we do.

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 24:13- But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

And what you're in effect saying is we don't need BIBLES anymore...Just sad.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first step is to love God!

That verse " to know thee the only true God and Jesus" means we need to do something indeed... to love God as He has loved us even before we were first drawn to Him. If our purpose is focused primarily on the rewards offered to overcomers including Eternal Life, then we miss the boat for sure.

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I Cor 2:9

Lots of promises understood clearly or not so clearly, but without our love for Him, forget about those promises... eternal Life too!

Without the first step ultimately nothing else matters:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.: I Cor 13:1-3

Love comes through knowledge Armadeus, one takes in knowledge of God, the first step, hearing about Him, taking in that knowledge of Him, and then forming a love/hate relationship with Him. Jn 17:3 is the first step, coming to know Him.

Reactions: theQuestioneer

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great question Dan, first of all Jesus sent a comforter; the holy spirit. They had a governing body Acts 15, and they had many congregations spread throughout the area, most of the New Testament were letters written to the congregations.

Christians who were called to be holy ones, who have died have already been resurrected to heaven and received the gift of everlasting life already. Those who have not died will be changed in the twinkling of an eye upon their death, and the rest of those who are living when Jesus returns will die and meet him in the air. 1 Thes 4.

The remainder of Christians will not come to life until the end of the millennial reign of Christ after we past the test of satan's release from his prison Rev 20:5, 7-9
Hope that helps sir. I know it will sound a bit strange as you likely have not seen that before.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love comes through knowledge Armadeus, one takes in knowledge of God, the first step, hearing about Him, taking in that knowledge of Him, and then forming a love/hate relationship with Him. Jn 17:3 is the first step, coming to know Him.

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" John 17:3

When we know the only true God and His Son that is eternal life, but what is the first step to such knowledge?

Consider this:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Prov 1:7

Consider then little Samuel who was no despising fool. Weaned from his mother she was the one trusting God and the one faithful to God when according to her vow she gave her tiny son, at the time her only son. to the service of God.
Samuel was given for instruction to of all people the priest, Eli, who had already failed God with regard to his own sons and therefore in his own ministry. But trusting little Samuel did not know about all of those things when he heard God's voice for the first time. Samuel went to Eli three times after hearing from God and finally old Eli understood and advised the boy properly.

Samuel was to become certainly one of the greatest of OT prophets.
He did not despise the wisdom of his mother who gave him away by faith nor the instruction of Eli who told him to answer God.

Samuel learned to fear God and was obedient. But how important is knowledge? Does it connect us to God?

Consider what Paul wrote here:

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

Without Love, knowledge will make us what? Nothing!

God, being Love, loved us and sent to us His Son so that we could really approach Him closely as had Adam and Eve in the garden before the disobedience. And even more closely than that because they lost access to the other tree, the Tree of Life without partaking of it. It is available now to whom? Overcomers!

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Rev 2:7

And how important is that to this discussion?

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" Gen 3:22

Are we not speaking of living forever?

Who among men is already an overcomer given access to the Tree of Life? Jesus certainly, but who else?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

What world did Jesus overcome? Certainly not planet Earth for we can look around and see the pain and cruelty and corruption of men still... even among many who claim the label of Christian!

Jesus overcame and we must overcome. Overcome what? The world, our own little world, of sin and temptation. Jesus paid the price none of us can pay on the cross for our sins, but we still are tempted and when we succumb to the temptation we sin again.

Jesus overcame, I believe, his last temptation here in his third request to his Father while he was still in the world [his world of temptation]:

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

We see then here what Jesus says in his prayer to his Father:

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world,..." John 17:11

He was no longer in his own world of temptations as a man of flesh even though he still was living as a man on planet Earth. He still had to suffer and die on the cross, but he was no longer tempted to avoid that pain and suffering which he knew was before him. He did it willingly.

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:17-18

Can we, each of us, overcome our own little world of temptation as Jesus did? Alone, absolutely not, but the power to overcome was provided and should be working in each of us: The Holy Spirit.

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:..." Acts 1:8

For this reason the Holy Spirit is of the utmost importance to us and Apostle Paul warns us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

Every man who has really come to God in repentance has overcome in part. Jesus over came completely. Can we do that? By the power of God yes, if we stop quenching the Holy Spirit, hindering the work of God within us!

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The first step is the last step.
Romans 10: 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Salvation is not earned, it is granted as soon as we come to Jesus and commit to Him

Reactions: Wrangler

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question Dan, first of all Jesus sent a comforter; the holy spirit. They had a governing body Acts 15, and they had many congregations spread throughout the area, most of the New Testament were letters written to the congregations.

Christians who were called to be holy ones, who have died have already been resurrected to heaven and received the gift of everlasting life already. Those who have not died will be changed in the twinkling of an eye upon their death, and the rest of those who are living when Jesus returns will die and meet him in the air. 1 Thes 4.

The remainder of Christians will not come to life until the end of the millennial reign of Christ after we past the test of satan's release from his prison Rev 20:5, 7-9
Hope that helps sir. I know it will sound a bit strange as you likely have not seen that before.
When you talk about an everlasting life is not the same as eternal life everlasting life is what you receive if you have eternal life. You see I believe you quoted it in one of your post that eternal life is a personal relationship with the Father and Spn. As stated in John 17. My point along was if a person knew what eternal life is their hope would be grounded in Christ. So many Christian hope they will come into everlasting life not being able to have the assurance they will. If their relationship is personal rattan an acknowledgment of Christ.

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many Christians hope they will come into everlasting life not being able to have the assurance they will.

Are we talking REAL Christians here: church-goers think they automatically so to Heaven, and think themselves having "IMMORTAL" souls...

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" John 17:3

When we know the only true God and His Son that is eternal life, but what is the first step to such knowledge?

Consider this:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Prov 1:7

Consider then little Samuel who was no despising fool. Weaned from his mother she was the one trusting God and the one faithful to God when according to her vow she gave her tiny son, at the time her only son. to the service of God.
Samuel was given for instruction to of all people the priest, Eli, who had already failed God with regard to his own sons and therefore in his own ministry. But trusting little Samuel did not know about all of those things when he heard God's voice for the first time. Samuel went to Eli three times after hearing from God and finally old Eli understood and advised the boy properly.

Samuel was to become certainly one of the greatest of OT prophets.
He did not despise the wisdom of his mother who gave him away by faith nor the instruction of Eli who told him to answer God.

Samuel learned to fear God and was obedient. But how important is knowledge? Does it connect us to God?

Consider what Paul wrote here:

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

Without Love, knowledge will make us what? Nothing!

God, being Love, loved us and sent to us His Son so that we could really approach Him closely as had Adam and Eve in the garden before the disobedience. And even more closely than that because they lost access to the other tree, the Tree of Life without partaking of it. It is available now to whom? Overcomers!

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Rev 2:7

And how important is that to this discussion?

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" Gen 3:22

Are we not speaking of living forever?

Who among men is already an overcomer given access to the Tree of Life? Jesus certainly, but who else?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

What world did Jesus overcome? Certainly not planet Earth for we can look around and see the pain and cruelty and corruption of men still... even among many who claim the label of Christian!

Jesus overcame and we must overcome. Overcome what? The world, our own little world, of sin and temptation. Jesus paid the price none of us can pay on the cross for our sins, but we still are tempted and when we succumb to the temptation we sin again.

Jesus overcame, I believe, his last temptation here in his third request to his Father while he was still in the world [his world of temptation]:

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

We see then here what Jesus says in his prayer to his Father:

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world,..." John 17:11

He was no longer in his own world of temptations as a man of flesh even though he still was living as a man on planet Earth. He still had to suffer and die on the cross, but he was no longer tempted to avoid that pain and suffering which he knew was before him. He did it willingly.

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:17-18

Can we, each of us, overcome our own little world of temptation as Jesus did? Alone, absolutely not, but the power to overcome was provided and should be working in each of us: The Holy Spirit.

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:..." Acts 1:8

For this reason the Holy Spirit is of the utmost importance to us and Apostle Paul warns us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

Every man who has really come to God in repentance has overcome in part. Jesus over came completely. Can we do that? By the power of God yes, if we stop quenching the Holy Spirit, hindering the work of God within us!

It is when you first hear, but your relationship or the start to everlasting life is when you first act on what you heard.

Since most of us learn someones name when first introduced, I try to use God's name to introduce an individual to Him. If that individual pursues gaining more knowledge, in other words takes a step further then that is the point of his start on the road to everlasting life. Have I made Jehovah's name known to you sir?
The first step is the last step.
Romans 10: 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Salvation is not earned, it is granted as soon as we come to Jesus and commit to Him

The last step is quite a ways off sir, and in reality it is never ending. When we make a dedication to God, we intend to live up to that dedication eternally, correct?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you talk about an everlasting life is not the same as eternal life everlasting life is what you receive if you have eternal life. You see I believe you quoted it in one of your post that eternal life is a personal relationship with the Father and Spn. As stated in John 17. My point along was if a person knew what eternal life is their hope would be grounded in Christ. So many Christian hope they will come into everlasting life not being able to have the assurance they will. If their relationship is personal rattan an acknowledgment of Christ.

I take the term for face value sir. the two terms you use are interchangeable. They have no different meanings, simply translators option of the use of synonyms.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is when you first hear, but your relationship or the start to everlasting life is when you first act on what you heard.

Since most of us learn someones name when first introduced, I try to use God's name to introduce an individual to Him. If that individual pursues gaining more knowledge, in other words takes a step further then that is the point of his start on the road to everlasting life. Have I made Jehovah's name known to you sir?
Give God the glory because we have heard Him calling us and have responded. You have done fine! Hope to see you around the forum involved in whatever He has called you to do!

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last step is quite a ways off sir, and in reality it is never ending. When we make a dedication to God, we intend to live up to that dedication eternally, correct?
Very much so, but we do not live to earn salvation, but because of salvation.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take the term for face value sir. the two terms you use are interchangeable. They have no different meanings, simply translators option of the use of synonyms.
Through you translations out and ask the Father f
thats what’s wrong today. Some say I see it this way or that way. Or you have your opinion and I have mine. This has so much division. Let’s let God be true and every man a liar!

Reactions: soul man

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give God the glory because we have heard Him calling us and have responded. You have done fine! Hope to see you around the forum involved in whatever He has called you to do!

God calls all Arm, it is so sad that the majority do not choose Him. I actually do not believe that the most hate God, I think they really deep down do not believe He exists. What responsible person would refuse everlasting life? People want to live, and so many give so much for just a few more moments of possible life, so what sane person would turn down everlasting life for so little that Jehovah requires? The only possible reason is that people honestly do not believe it can happen.

Reactions: amadeus