Five-Fold Ministry?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

Ephesians 4:11-14

My pastor talks about the five-fold ministry and it's works in the early church and the church of today. Im wondering how others feel, I know my opnion o the issue. What is yours?

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

Ephesians 4:11-14

My pastor talks about the five-fold ministry and it's works in the early church and the church of today. Im wondering how others feel, I know my opnion o the issue. What is yours?

I don't know what your opinion is but there is no where that the Bible teaches that they are not for today.

Many people teach that they all passed away.

Question is which ones passed away?

All groups have pastors. All groups use teachers. Most even believe that there are evangelists in their ranks.

HOWEVER. Where the stink usually comes is with the Prophets, and Apostles.

Truth is about anybody you meet has one of these gifts operating in his or her life as a predominate gift and many times another that is secondary.

There are many pastors that are also very gifted in evangelism. Many times these pastors will be constantly good at going out and getting new people into the Church and getting the lost saved where others are not as talented to do so.

There are others that are more gifted as teachers. The teacher is the one that teaches others and many times will grow people up spiritually.

The pastor that has stronger administrative skills and is good at planting Churches and then turning them over to others will normally be strong in the gift of the apostolic.

The past or that is strong in the gift of the office of the prophet will be the on that is more rigid in thinking. He will be the one that sees things in black and white. He will also be the one that has the gift to come in and take a Church that has split or is having problems and set it straight. Some might call this one to be hard nosed more so than others.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I don't know what your opinion is but there is no where that the Bible teaches that they are not for today.

Many people teach that they all passed away.

Question is which ones passed away?

All groups have pastors. All groups use teachers. Most even believe that there are evangelists in their ranks.

HOWEVER. Where the stink usually comes is with the Prophets, and Apostles.

Truth is about anybody you meet has one of these gifts operating in his or her life as a predominate gift and many times another that is secondary.

There are many pastors that are also very gifted in evangelism. Many times these pastors will be constantly good at going out and getting new people into the Church and getting the lost saved where others are not as talented to do so.

There are others that are more gifted as teachers. The teacher is the one that teaches others and many times will grow people up spiritually.

The pastor that has stronger administrative skills and is good at planting Churches and then turning them over to others will normally be strong in the gift of the apostolic.

The past or that is strong in the gift of the office of the prophet will be the on that is more rigid in thinking. He will be the one that sees things in black and white. He will also be the one that has the gift to come in and take a Church that has split or is having problems and set it straight. Some might call this one to be hard nosed more so than others.

I beleive that the five-fold ministry is still at work in the church today! We have not come to the complete perfection and unity in Christ. Souls still need to be saved!

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
It is alive and well today.

Perhaps the difficulty for some is in understanding who today's apostles and prophets are.

To prophesy can mean to foretell the future....it also means to speak as Divinely inspired. In other words, as the Holy Spirit teaches His prophets and apostles they in turn....speak to all that will hear. They don't foretell new things but give meaning to the already written word, as given them.

An apostle is a sent one. Who are you? Does God speak to you and send you to share with others? :)

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
It is alive and well today.

Perhaps the difficulty for some is in understanding who today's apostles and prophets are.

To prophesy can mean to foretell the future....it also means to speak as Divinely inspired. In other words, as the Holy Spirit teaches His prophets and apostles they in turn....speak to all that will hear. They don't foretell new things but give meaning to the already written word, as given them.
:)
An apostle is a sent one. Who are you? Does God speak to you and send you to share with others?

Are you asking me that question? If so I do not know? I am an associate minister at my church one of the 2 youth who stepped out into ministry. God will reveal to me more and more as we walk in the faith. Maybe an evangelist?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I believe the Church operates as it operates. Things change for times and as needed.

Five fold? What in the world is that supposed to be anyway? Never heard anyone explain it. Seems to me it's always a gimmik type deal, to show credetials and how good their church or ministry is.

Catch phrase IMHO.

Let the Lord lead you and sometimes you may only need 2 fold, or how about this for a new concept? Not folded! :lol: