Flat earth.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is not the only one who believes in a flat earth. There are quite a few like him. They do have some very interesting arguments to support their belief.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He doesn't believe in planets or outer space, all a conspiracy in his mind. He thinks they are all just lights under the dome.
Wow. Well...honestly, I'd say at this point not much reasoning or rational arguments are going to get through to him. I would say it's "impressive" that he holds onto scripture over and beyond everything else, except he's clearly not seeing scripture and what it's teaching clearly...so, you know, that's a problem!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the only way to reach people like this guy is through conspiracy theories that happen to be true. Perhaps we should change the way we teach our kids - present true information like a conspiracy!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a long time friend that is a Brother in Christ that firmly believes the earth is flat based on Scripture. He reads the Bible literally, every word. How can I, from a Biblical standpoint show him the truth? We've been going back and forth for months. He thinks I'm deceived and lying to him. He also thinks the world is in a conspiracy to hide the flat earth because exposing it would deny evolution. He does his own laser tests over frozen lakes and completely denies any scientific proof of a Globe earth. He denies outer space, the moon landing and thinks the sun and moon are small and close, and thinks the moon creates its own light. He firmly believes the Firmament is solid.
The Bible? Show him from SCIENCE!

Take gravity, for instance. It's a force expressed as a rate of acceleration = 9.8 meters/sec squared.

Flat Earthers have concluded that the "flat Earth" is accelerating through space at 9.8 meters/sec squared and the momentum of that acceleration pulls everything to the surface of the Earth, much like if you boarded a bus and it began accelerating before you took a seat and the momentum of that acceleration forces you down the aisle until you contact the back of the bus.

PROBLEM:
That means the Flat Earth had to begin accelerating through space as soon as God spoke it into existence...which means at a rate of acceleration of 9.8 meters/sec squared, the Flat Earth would have reached LIGHTSPEED after just under a year of accelerating....and since nothing has been observed to travel faster than light speed (except angels in Scripture) THAT MEANS THE FLAT EARTH WOULD HAVE CEASED TO ACCELERATE AFTER IT REACHED ITS CRUISING SPEED - THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

And if that's the case, we should all be floating around in the air due the absence of acceleration...but we don't...we still keep dropping to the surface...checkmate, Flat Earthers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Wiebe

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a long time friend that is a Brother in Christ that firmly believes the earth is flat based on Scripture. He reads the Bible literally, every word. How can I, from a Biblical standpoint show him the truth? We've been going back and forth for months. He thinks I'm deceived and lying to him. He also thinks the world is in a conspiracy to hide the flat earth because exposing it would deny evolution. He does his own laser tests over frozen lakes and completely denies any scientific proof of a Globe earth. He denies outer space, the moon landing and thinks the sun and moon are small and close, and thinks the moon creates its own light. He firmly believes the Firmament is solid.
Hi Jeff,

Tell your friend to start walking/sailing the earth. If he falls off the edge he is right. After going around the earth and he returns home he can then let you know you are right.

Mary

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only. we know what you're up aganist. but people like this one must show it to them in the bible. because most say, "Show it to me in the bible, then I'll believe".

use this one first, Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in”.

and to get the earth off the tortoise back, and off Hercules shoulders, used this one. Job 26:7 "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing”.

PICJAG.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Addressing the OP only. we know what you're up aganist. but people like this one must show it to them in the bible. because most say, "Show it to me in the bible, then I'll believe".

use this one first, Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in”.

and to get the earth off the tortoise back, and off Hercules shoulders, used this one. Job 26:7 "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing”.

PICJAG.
Been through both with him in detail. He interprets them to mean God is looking down on a circle, not globe. He said Job26:7 doesn't prove a globe earth. Flat earth can hang on nothing too. He doesn't believe in outer space, thinks all images are fake. He interprets scripture very different and there is no reasoning with him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the only way to reach people like this guy is through conspiracy theories that happen to be true. Perhaps we should change the way we teach our kids - present true information like a conspiracy!

I have a book, don't tell anyone, it's forbidden in a number of places! Be careful before reading it! It could change who you are forever. Its been passed down for millenia, people killing each other to destroy it, and dying to preserve it.

Only the initiates can actually understand it. I can show you what it say, but I'm telling you, be careful!

Reactions: aspen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Been through both with him in detail. He interprets them to mean God is looking down on a circle, not globe. He said Job26:7 doesn't prove a globe earth. Flat earth can hang on nothing too. He doesn't believe in outer space, thinks all images are fake. He interprets scripture very different and there is no reasoning with him
we suggest you recosider. according to Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries of the Greek and Hebrew Testaments it is the Hebrew word,
H2329 חוּג chuwg (choog) n-m.
a circle.
[from H2328]
KJV: circle, circuit, compass.
Root(s): H2328

if one would notice, it's a NOUN, and not a verb . which according to Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English, definition #2 states as a NOUN, 2. In popular use, the line that comprehends the figure, the plane or surface comprehended, and the whole body or solid matter of a round substance, are denominated a circle; a ring; an orb; the earth".

so if God is looking down on a circle, it's the "SURFACE" that is Round, and not the EDGES.

Hope that will help him.

PICJAG.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
we suggest you recosider. according to Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries of the Greek and Hebrew Testaments it is the Hebrew word,
H2329 חוּג chuwg (choog) n-m.
a circle.
[from H2328]
KJV: circle, circuit, compass.
Root(s): H2328

if one would notice, it's a NOUN, and not a verb . which according to Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English, definition #2 states as a NOUN, 2. In popular use, the line that comprehends the figure, the plane or surface comprehended, and the whole body or solid matter of a round substance, are denominated a circle; a ring; an orb; the earth".

so if God is looking down on a circle, it's the "SURFACE" that is Round, and not the EDGES.

Hope that will help him.

PICJAG.
Thanks, I'll try this. I've also tried to explain what the Firmament is to him. He thinks it is a solid because of this. Strong's Number H7549 matches the Hebrew רָקִיעַ (raqiya`),
which occurs 17 times in 15 verses in the Hebrew concordance of the KJV.
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. extended surface (solid), expanse, firmament
    1. expanse (flat as base, support)

2. firmament (of vault of heaven supporting waters above)
      1. considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll try this. I've also tried to explain what the Firmament is to him. He thinks it is a solid because of this. Strong's Number H7549 matches the Hebrew רָקִיעַ (raqiya`),
which occurs 17 times in 15 verses in the Hebrew concordance of the KJV.
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. extended surface (solid), expanse, firmament
    1. expanse (flat as base, support)

1. considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

GINOLJC, to all.
thanks for the reply, second, the firmament, 1. EARTH BOUND, the upper and lower atmospheres expanses, above and below the rain clouds. Genesis 1:6 "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters".

2. HEAVEN BOUND, beyond the EARTH. Genesis 1:8 "And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
now, Genesis 1:14 "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years".

Let's use what is called the "phenomenological” view. if we say the sun rose, that movement is caused by the EARTH, (we know now that it is the earth that rotates). now, in order for these Lights, sun and moon to produce "signs" as in eclipses, these bodies must be moving, and if the firmament is a solid, (that is structured in properties) then one has a big problem. so the firmament of the heaven cannot be a solid in MASS, or as we think. so the problem is in idenification. another word for solid is dimensional, and dimensional means, having sufficient depth and substance to be believable. and substance here is simply matter, and "AIR" is a substance. so the solid in your definition which you gave above is a dimensional one,

considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

"supporting", which is a solid of geographical in expanse. for the word "Vault" in the definition means a large room or chamber used for storage, especially an underground one.

so the waters above is divide, or supported from the waters below, this firmament is simply a dimensional expanse between the two waters ..... AIR, or atmosphere.

Hoped this helped.

PICJAG.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
GINOLJC, to all.
thanks for the reply, second, the firmament, 1. EARTH BOUND, the upper and lower atmospheres expanses, above and below the rain clouds. Genesis 1:6 "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters".

2. HEAVEN BOUND, beyond the EARTH. Genesis 1:8 "And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
now, Genesis 1:14 "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years".

Let's use what is called the "phenomenological” view. if we say the sun rose, that movement is caused by the EARTH, (we know now that it is the earth that rotates). now, in order for these Lights, sun and moon to produce "signs" as in eclipses, these bodies must be moving, and if the firmament is a solid, (that is structured in properties) then one has a big problem. so the firmament of the heaven cannot be a solid in MASS, or as we think. so the problem is in idenification. another word for solid is dimensional, and dimensional means, having sufficient depth and substance to be believable. and substance here is simply matter, and "AIR" is a substance. so the solid in your definition which you gave above is a dimensional one,

considered by Hebrews as solid and supporting 'waters' above

"supporting", which is a solid of geographical in expanse. for the word "Vault" in the definition means a large room or chamber used for storage, especially an underground one.

so the waters above is divide, or supported from the waters below, this firmament is simply a dimensional expanse between the two waters ..... AIR, or atmosphere.

Hoped this helped.

PICJAG.
We understand this the same way. Unfortunately he doesn't, even after explaining it to him the same way you just did. He said water above means water, not clouds. My problem is he's taking the words very literal. Circle is a circle, foundation is a foundation, even though it has two meanings he chooses the one to fit his view. I think its a lost cause, he's too far gone.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We understand this the same way. Unfortunately he doesn't, even after explaining it to him the same way you just did. He said water above means water, not clouds. My problem is he's taking the words very literal. Circle is a circle, foundation is a foundation, even though it has two meanings he chooses the one to fit his view. I think its a lost cause, he's too far gone.
only thing you can do is just witness, and pray that the Lord will opwn his eyes.

but ask him this, "is there not WATER in the clouds?". but probably he want understand that either.

PICJAG

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is a verse (at least in my translation) that says earth is an orb...ill try to find it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a verse (at least in my translation) that says earth is an orb...ill try to find it.
Oh yeah, never mind. Its in Isaiah. My translation says orb but KJV says circle. Your friend will just say a circle can be flat!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most ancient cultures knew the earth is round....just look at the curved horizon

B

brakelite

Okay, confession time. I am a flat earther. Kidding. However, I did decide to investigate the theory and see what all the fuss was about. Now I am not a scientist. I have never made any pretensions at to being an intellectual, or anything brighter that the average candle. So when I took a look at some of the reasons people become so attached to flat earth theory, many of them sounded completely plausible. So I decided to test some of these 'plausible observations' etc by presenting them to my nerd son-in-law...who has more degrees that any 40 yo deserves to have in such a short life time...and he agreed that superficially, many of the reasons flat earthers believe the way they do sound reasonable and to the more simple minded among us, (and those more accepting of conspiracy theories for without a major conspiratorial NASA in on the act, and the airline companies...all governments...all telecommunication companies and their affiliates...etc etc...the flat earth theory falls flat) but apart from all that, a flat earth sounds quite possible.
But you all would be very surprised at how popular flat earth theory is becoming. There are screeds of youtube videos "proving" a flat earth. There are several facebook pages dedicated to the topic...and they are if not scientifically sound, very entertaining...and one can readily understand why so many people would be taken in by it. Many of them very long and "scientific" with experiments and observations that sound very convincing...if one has a penchant for the "government is lying to us" scenario.