1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Flat earth.

Discussion in 'Unorthodox Doctrine Forum' started by Jeff Wiebe, Feb 12, 2019.

1. shnarkle

shnarkle Active Member

I used to occasionally take hikes up to Mount Diablo in Contra Costa County. This peak provides a spectacular view of the Pacific ocean so I know what you're talking about. I've also been to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite which is more than double the height of Mt. Diablo, and yet Yosemite yields nothing to indicate any curvature of the earth.

This is a great video, and shows how simple observations can suggest that the earth is flat. What is it about his analysis that is incorrect? This is not some guy playing tricks with his equipment. it's easily reproducible, and many have done it repeatedly with the same results. The error isn't in his formulas or equations or his calculation either. It's a matter of perspective, and perspective can't prove the shape of the earth anymore than it can prove that parallels lines on a train track meet a few hundred yards down the track.

2. shnarkle

shnarkle Active Member

The interesting thing to note about this video is how we can see curvature between the beach and the platforms, and yet we can also see a horizon that rises up BEHIND the platforms. See the problem?

3. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    When I was having this discussion with someone a few years ago, I went online, and googled up some tourists photos from that particular mountain top. Interestingly, I could lay a ruler over the horizon as seen on those pics, to see that the horizon did in fact curve, just like it appears to the eye. It's true for the camera also.

High enough mountain, near enough the ocean, wide enough field of view.

I have a friend who is totally into this stuff. I'm aware of their models, and they don't work.

If the sun gets to far away we can't even see it's light, then it should be shrinking to a dot and it's not. It's the same size right overhead, and at "sunset", when it should be 1000's of miles away while only 30-something miles in diameter. That plenty for perspective to show the difference. But it doesn't.

Much love!

firstthings1st. and Nancy like this.
  4. aspen

aspen “"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Byrd posted a link I found interesting - it considered why it is difficult to impossible for a reasonable person to win an argument with someone who is irrational. I wish it was still around - it even used FEers as an example

firstthings1st. and Nancy like this.
  5. shnarkle

shnarkle Active Member

Some FE people may be irrational, but it is important to note that they have an argument that we're not addressing. Simply pointing out that we can deduce a spherical earth from observations isn't enough. There are numerous posts refuting their arguments as well as pointing out the error in using perspective to prove much of anything. This goes for people who know the earth is round as well. There's an episode of a program on the History channel, the name escapes me at the moment, but they show a bridge crossing Lake Champlain in Louisiana. It's something like 23 or 24 miles long. At the end of the day after they've poured all their cement footings and the bridge is complete, the added cement to make up for the curvature of the earth is all of one inch more roadway. That's still a lot of cement, but it's not much longer than a bridge on a flat earth. One extra inch for over 23 miles doesn't seem like enough, does it? It's more than enough because we're talking about incomprehensible relationships of scale.

firstthings1st. and aspen like this.
  6. shnarkle

shnarkle Active Member

Okay,
    I finally located the formula for calculating the curvature of the earth. I thought it was only 4 inches, but it's more.

Keep that in mind while you're watching that video. The math is correct, and your eyes aren't deceiving you, but in the end it doesn't add up at least according to what we're looking at. This is why perspective is useless in determining the shape of the earth. The thing to notice is that the horizon behind the oil rigs is higher than the oil rigs themselves which are already supposed to be curving down. As a surfer, this would indicate a tsunami is on its way.

Nancy likes this.
  7. TheWind

TheWind Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

In the beginning Jesus divided a body of water from top to bottom with the sky and from the water below made to appear the earth. There is a large body of water above the sky and it is held there by the word of Christ.

Psalm 148:4 King James Version (KJV)
    4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.

The world is lying about what is beyond the sky: the powers of this world know whats up there.

8. shnarkle

shnarkle Active Member

The powers of this world know a lot of things that you and I will probably never know. What makes you think what is above the sky is so important rather than any of the numerous other things they already know?

9. shnarkle

shnarkle Active Member

The powers of this world know a lot of things that you and I will probably never know. What makes you think what is above the sky is so important rather than any of the numerous other things they already know?