For many are called but few chosen

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“For many are called but few chosen.”

Matthew 22:14 records this expression Jesus made as he spoke of the parable of the Wedding Feast, wherein a guest attending the feast was not wearing a fitting wedding garment for the occasion.

This person heeded the calling alright, without receiving God’s spiritual garment (the baptism of the Spirit in one’s heart) suited for his Son. All garments folks wore had to be accepted by the Father first, as it was for the spiritual and holy reunion feast of marriage of the body of Christ, his Son. The presence of God, his spirit in our hearts, to truly receive and accept this calling, to come, is mandatory. There is no other way. This is the path of Salvation that is very specific and narrow. This specificity does not just refer to our belief in Christ, it is more.

The ‘way’ or method we receive and believe in Christ is paramount.

This person in this parable decided to bring carnal and corrupt spiritual clothing to the wedding feast of God’s holiness and purity. Yes, this person believed in the ruler and his position, although on his or her own terms. This person believed it was appropriate to bypass the Father’s loving presence and greeting at the door (of the heart) and accepted his Son’s invitation by avoiding the door completely. This person's heart was not cultivated and prepared by the Father to accept this calling in humility and genuine repentance. We know what happened to this person. He or she was quickly rejected and ejected from the feast. Jesus never knew him. His Father never had the opportunity to clothe him correctly for the feast of life, of his Son. This person just clothed himself with what suited him/her– decided to just use his/her own free-will in this critical decision of holy spiritual acceptance.

How many Christians have accepted the gospel without wearing or being baptized in God’s holy spirit within their hearts, first?! We truly cannot wear the wedding garments for the Son’s feast without his permission, his acceptance and intervention. The Father and Son know the legitimate attendees in advance of the feast.

The last part of the expression says, ‘few are chosen.’ Not to sound redundant, but who again chooses? He who chooses us will not return an ‘empty hand.’ Well it is not us, or the person deciding to accept the calling. Some say, well I believed after I was called by hearing the gospel message, so I must be chosen. This is what the person in this parable thought, and he/she was thrown to the roadside, if you will.

God chooses those that are called. How does he do this?

1. First, he already knows the hearts that will turn to him, before they were born. He therefore chose that person he knew as he knew they would also be touched by the call before they were born.

2. Second, the person seeks/sought God’s presence at some time or over many times, to know him and to accept the calling about his Son. They are humble and sincere in their quest. They show their heart to God with all its imperfections and corruption. Nothing is hidden. They truly want to change or repent, and they do.

3. Third, God touches that heart of the one called by spiritual rebirth.

4. Fourth, that person senses God’s presence as the spirit is now already in the heart.

5. Fifth, he provides the faith to believe in the moment of human decision.

6. Sixth, the person is swayed to accept the terms of God and salvation from the heart and not from the mind. It is not a mental exercise as the carnal mind is ill-equipped to understand and respond to the call of God and his gospel.

Now I say, can we truthfully say we chose to accept the calling of God to salvation by the belief in his Son, with our own free will and nothing/or no one else? Did God have anything to do with it? I hope so. No one wants to be rejected by Christ.

If we say we alone chose salvation by the calling of the gospel, without the presence of God, then we mock him and his plan of salvation through Christ. We cannot just believe in Jesus from the emptiness and carnality of our minds or out of our natural carnal hearts.

The spark comes for God himself after we call to him in our own way…and he already knew this anyway…not a riddle to those that understand God is beyond time and space…

What say ye?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“For many are called but few chosen.”

Matthew 22:14 records this expression Jesus made as he spoke of the parable of the Wedding Feast, wherein a guest attending the feast was not wearing a fitting wedding garment for the occasion.

This person heeded the calling alright, without receiving God’s spiritual garment (the baptism of the Spirit in one’s heart) suited for his Son. All garments folks wore had to be accepted by the Father first, as it was for the spiritual and holy reunion feast of marriage of the body of Christ, his Son. The presence of God, his spirit in our hearts, to truly receive and accept this calling, to come, is mandatory. There is no other way. This is the path of Salvation that is very specific and narrow. This specificity does not just refer to our belief in Christ, it is more.

The ‘way’ or method we receive and believe in Christ is paramount.

This person in this parable decided to bring carnal and corrupt spiritual clothing to the wedding feast of God’s holiness and purity. Yes, this person believed in the ruler and his position, although on his or her own terms. This person believed it was appropriate to bypass the Father’s loving presence and greeting at the door (of the heart) and accepted his Son’s invitation by avoiding the door completely. This person's heart was not cultivated and prepared by the Father to accept this calling in humility and genuine repentance. We know what happened to this person. He or she was quickly rejected and ejected from the feast. Jesus never knew him. His Father never had the opportunity to clothe him correctly for the feast of life, of his Son. This person just clothed himself with what suited him/her– decided to just use his/her own free-will in this critical decision of holy spiritual acceptance.

How many Christians have accepted the gospel without wearing or being baptized in God’s holy spirit within their hearts, first?! We truly cannot wear the wedding garments for the Son’s feast without his permission, his acceptance and intervention. The Father and Son know the legitimate attendees in advance of the feast.

The last part of the expression says, ‘few are chosen.’ Not to sound redundant, but who again chooses? He who chooses us will not return an ‘empty hand.’ Well it is not us, or the person deciding to accept the calling. Some say, well I believed after I was called by hearing the gospel message, so I must be chosen. This is what the person in this parable thought, and he/she was thrown to the roadside, if you will.

God chooses those that are called. How does he do this?

1. First, he already knows the hearts that will turn to him, before they were born. He therefore chose that person he knew as he knew they would also be touched by the call before they were born.

2. Second, the person seeks/sought God’s presence at some time or over many times, to know him and to accept the calling about his Son. They are humble and sincere in their quest. They show their heart to God with all its imperfections and corruption. Nothing is hidden. They truly want to change or repent, and they do.

3. Third, God touches that heart of the one called by spiritual rebirth.

4. Fourth, that person senses God’s presence as the spirit is now already in the heart.

5. Fifth, he provides the faith to believe in the moment of human decision.

6. Sixth, the person is swayed to accept the terms of God and salvation from the heart and not from the mind. It is not a mental exercise as the carnal mind is ill-equipped to understand and respond to the call of God and his gospel.

Now I say, can we truthfully say we chose to accept the calling of God to salvation by the belief in his Son, with our own free will and nothing/or no one else? Did God have anything to do with it? I hope so. No one wants to be rejected by Christ.

If we say we alone chose salvation by the calling of the gospel, without the presence of God, then we mock him and his plan of salvation through Christ. We cannot just believe in Jesus from the emptiness and carnality of our minds or out of our natural carnal hearts.

The spark comes for God himself after we call to him in our own way…and he already knew this anyway…not a riddle to those that understand God is beyond time and space…

What say ye?

It does not say they will not dress properly. It says they refused to come.

Same as many are invited to salvation but many refuse to accept.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does not say they will not dress properly. It says they refused to come.

Same as many are invited to salvation but many refuse to accept.

I think you are missing the point of Matthew 22:14. I deliberately did not include the entire and beginning sequence of events in this parable of the Feast in my OP. Yes, at the beginning folks did not want to come as you said. I was honing in on those that THINK or BELIEF they are acceptable when they come and attend. Now that is expressed by Jesus at the end of the parable - my OP

Bless you,

APAK

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are missing the point of Matthew 22:14. I deliberately did not include the entire and beginning sequence of events in this parable of the Feast in my OP. Yes, at the beginning folks did not want to come as you said. I was honing in on those that THINK or BELIEF they are acceptable when they come and attend. Now that is expressed by Jesus at the end of the parable - my OP

Bless you,

APAK

You changed the wording and meaning of the passage.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You changed the wording and meaning of the passage.
Maybe you need to explain yourself if there is something that disturbs or at least is something 'new.' I'm all ears.

APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well @CoreIssue I guess Matt 22:11-12, the person not wearing a wedding garment means something else to you. The (appropriate) 'wedding garment' is an all important item in this parable.

Gotta get some sleep now....later on then,

Bless you,

APAK

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 22:1-14 is one of the most powerful parables of Christ, because it has so many Gospel lessons to teach. But since you mentioned "legitimate attendees" we need to look at that parable a little closer, and properly identify each person and group.

1 a certain king = God the Father

2 a marriage = the Marriage of the Lamb with the Bride of Christ

3 his son = the Lord Jesus Christ

4 his servants = God's prophets to Israel

5 them that were bidden = the nation of Israel

6 they would not come = the rejection of Christ by Israel

7 other servants = the apostles, their companions, and Christians

8 they made light of it = again Israel rejected Christ (by and large)

9 entreated them spitefully, and slew them = the martyrdom of the apostles and others

10 destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city = the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD

11 they which were bidden were not worthy = those who reject Christ are unworthy of eternal life

12 Go ye therefore into the highways = the Great Commission to the Church

13 as many as ye shall find = the Gospel invitation to the whole world
[NOTE: The whole world's inhabitants are legitimate attendees]

14 gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good = God does not elect some for salvation, and others for damnation

15 there a man which had not on a wedding garment = this is the robe of righteousness given to sinners who repent and believe the Gospel
[NOTE: If all will repent and believe, all may have that wedding garment]

16 Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? = not all who profess Christ are truly born again, and have Christ's imputed righteousness

17 and cast him into outer darkness = the unsaved are destined for Hell

18 For many are called, but few are chosen = only those who have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ are chosen to have eternal life and be a part of the Body, Bride, and Building of Christ. Only they will attend the Marriage of th Lamb (Rev 19).

Reactions: friend of and marks

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Enoch111, It's nice that you provided one-liners essentially, of the players and symbols of the parable as most folks already know them. Although, it does not add to this thread. I suggest you might go back though and renumber your verses as they do not match scripture. Not a big deal though at this point.

I want to get past the 101 class and into at least a 401 one. As I said to @CoreIssue , my OP if you read it again is all about the last part of the parable and foot-stomped with the last verse of Matthew 22: 14. I am attempting to dig deeper here. The wedding garment, what it is, and how you acquire one, and the significance of its absence is what Jesus really was aiming at for those wishing to be seated at his wedding feast, besides those others that did not want to come etc....not interested in that part here...old hat for this discussion

I hope you get my drift and the 'full' meaning of Matthew 22:14. It is more that just adding a one-liner to it as you did. One has to review the context and previous verses to it. It also involves other scripture including the parable of the sower and seeds planted...they all support each other...harmonizes if you will...

Thanks anyway.

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: amadeus

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's too bad no one took me up on plugging into our church's app. Last week, the preacher gave an excellent talk on The Wedding Feast. One of the best I have ever heard.

D

Dave L

It's too bad no one took me up on plugging into our church's app. Last week, the preacher gave an excellent talk on The Wedding Feast. One of the best I have ever heard.
What kind of app? I'm clueless on phones and apps, having only a flip phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“For many are called but few chosen"

So what are the practicly application of this?

Are all 'Christians' to go through a strict theological and practical examination of their life before being allowed to attend church.

Is a moral council going to view the lifes of church members, calling those demned substandard in for judgement?

How is one to form friendships with other 'Christians' at church if one is unsure whether they really are 'Christian'?

Or is this a storm in a teacup !

Something we should be aware of about ourselves and not for judging others.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Enoch111, It's nice that you provided one-liners essentially, of the players and symbols of the parable as most folks already know them. Although, it does not add to this thread. I suggest you might go back though and renumber your verses as they do not match scripture. Not a big deal though at this point.

I want to get past the 101 class and into at least a 401 one. As I said to @CoreIssue , my OP if you read it again is all about the last part of the parable and foot-stomped with the last verse of Matthew 22: 14. I am attempting to dig deeper here. The wedding garment, what it is, and how you acquire one, and the significance of its absence is what Jesus really was aiming at for those wishing to be seated at his wedding feast, besides those others that did not want to come etc....not interested in that part here...old hat for this discussion

I hope you get my drift and the 'full' meaning of Matthew 22:14. It is more that just adding a one-liner to it as you did. One has to review the context and previous verses to it. It also involves other scripture including the parable of the sower and seeds planted...they all support each other...harmonizes if you will...

Thanks anyway.

Bless you,

APAK

As Christ said most of his followers will come out of the poor, hence the innuendo getting people straight from the street.

The One that was improperly dressed was just there for the goodies. He did not come to honor the wedding. The guests at the marriage supper of the Lamb are the old testament Saints.

The Jewish wedding ceremony is a long process that culminates in the wedding feast.

What the guests wear is not the same as what the groom and bride wear.

Those who do not take part in the marriage supper of the Lamb end up in the lake of fire. They stand before God at the White throne judgment but never belonged to God.

Marriage Supper of the Lamb

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what are the practicly application of this?

Are all 'Christians' to go through a strict theological and practical examination of their life before being allowed to attend church.

Is a moral council going to view the lifes of church members, calling those demned substandard in for judgement?

How is one to form friendships with other 'Christians' at church if one is unsure whether they really are 'Christian'?

Or is this a storm in a teacup !

Something we should be aware of about ourselves and not for judging others.
@Windmillcharge ...

Well I see I have unsettled you a bit. You have determined already this subject is one you do not wish to discuss. Well that might be a positive and a good thing in the long run. Yes Matthew 22:14 is a very misunderstood verse indeed and should be studied thoroughly. That's why I chose it.

If you are confident about your spirituality and growth in Christ then this thread should be met by you with open arms; and not as I detect in your words of condemnation for me with crossed arms. Something then bothering you? I am just the messenger who wants to share a possibly difficult subject for some.

This is just good old-fashion Bible Study, in this Bible Study Forum. You are welcome to add any constructive thoughts of course. I won't bite your head off. You know I'm learning as you.

Bless you,

APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christ said most of his followers will come out of the poor, hence the innuendo getting people straight from the street.

The One that was improperly dressed was just there for the goodies. He did not come to honor the wedding. The guests at the marriage supper of the Lamb are the old testament Saints.

The Jewish wedding ceremony is a long process that culminates in the wedding feast.

What the guests wear is not the same as what the groom and bride wear.

Those who do not take part in the marriage supper of the Lamb end up in the lake of fire. They stand before God at the White throne judgment but never belonged to God.

Marriage Supper of the Lamb

Yes @CoreIssue scripture does say that God chooses the poor as you said....

Paul speaks of this as the ‘internal’ calling not the general calling to all people.

Read, about the INTERNAL calling those of the chosen ones or elect. This calling of the chosen is what I eluded to in my OP.

(1Co 1:23) But we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness.
(1Co 1:24) But to them that are called, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.
(1Co 1:25) Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
(1Co 1:26) Consider your calling, brothers; not many of you had worldly wisdom, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.
(1Co 1:27) But God chose the foolish things of the world, that He might put to shame those that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that He might put to shame the things that are strong.
(1Co 1:28) God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are.

Bless you,

APAK