"Free" Will

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone said:
Please remain respectful and do not descend into the realm of excessive ad hominem postings! This thread has been cleaned up a bit.
God, if I have done these things

HammerStone,

Please forgive me
& help me learn the right way :)-

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
StanJ said:
Best when you come into an old thread, to see if the OP is still with us before addressing him. JoJo have been gone for a while.
Agreed, however the point is still valid and the verses JoJo quoted are some of the "harder" verses that are misunderstood
and many still struggle with them ... as a younger Christian they were fairly confusing to me and as is witnessed by JoJo's
post, they were to him/her as well.

Free will is free will within the parameters of God's will, that might sound somewhat limiting but the scope of free will within
this sphere is enough to cater to and cover all man's desires.
Jesus said that "all things are possible to him that believes" ... ALL THINGS.

The limit of ALL THINGS reaches it's boundary with the finite mind of man and submission to the God ordained authority
and predetermined will.

HearGod

Sep 23, 2014
Enquirer said:
Agreed, however the point is still valid and the verses JoJo quoted are some of the "harder" verses that are misunderstood
and many still struggle with them ... as a younger Christian they were fairly confusing to me and as is witnessed by JoJo's
post, they were to him/her as well.

Free will is free will within the parameters of God's will, that might sound somewhat limiting but the scope of free will within
this sphere is enough to cater to and cover all man's desires.
Jesus said that "all things are possible to him that believes" ... ALL THINGS.

The limit of ALL THINGS reaches it's boundary with the finite mind of man and submission to the God ordained authority
and predetermined will.
Hi Enquirer,

You have quoted from Mark 9:23 of the King James Bible, which was supposedly translated from Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550, which reads:

ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν αὐτῷ Τὸ Εἰ δύνασαι πιστεῦσαι, πάντα δυνατὰ τῷ πιστεύοντι

Firstly, please believe me if you may, you won't find the "THINGS" word in the above-mentioned Greek text. So then, most of the English translations could be far from what this verse says in the Greek.

Secondly, there must be a reason why this Greek text has been corrupted [ever] since during/before the 5th Century. So then, most of "us" (Christians? the Church? Humans?) would probably not like to read what Jesus actually said too.

I would recommend that you read this verse with a pinch of salt.

Btw, freewill to do what?
1) Did God give humans freewill to choose (to believe in) Him (and/or His son?), and end up in Heaven? Or
2) Did God give humans freewill to choose to reject (to disbelieve in) Him (and/or His son?), and end up in Hell? Or
3) ?

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
clark thompson said:
God's plan is.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.God knew would happen and allowed His plan to work.
In my view God created us by seeding this planet and from there He stepped back and let us unfold in our own way making mistakes on the way as we evolve. He gave us His likeness and from there the choices we make are ours alone to make. So make your choices wisely in my view

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HearGod said:
I would recommend that you read this verse with a pinch of salt.

Btw, freewill to do what?
2) Did God give humans freewill to choose.,.,.,.,.
Yes, He gave us choices, the power of free will. We are not puppets on a string

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
adds welcome register.com
45th correction-- 07/02/15
note: WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN?

This is a time line

If you need to enlarge the text, i.e. the two pages where you can read it without squinting your eyes
[1] Just hold dawn the [Ctri] key while rolling your mouse up or down.
Just a suggestion

The reason this site was built –
WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN
www.universalknowledge.net

Care to comment-?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
tooldtocare said:
Yes, He gave us choices, the power of free will. We are not puppets on a string
We are puppets on strings if we remain slaves to our false self. Jesus tells us that losing ourselves is the way to salvation and true freedom.

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
We are puppets on strings if we remain slaves to our false self. Jesus tells us that losing ourselves is the way to salvation and true freedom.
I am sorry but I could not find "Losing ourselves" in any Biblical text. For the sake of us dumb peons on the street corner, elaborate on your choice of words. i.e. what does that phrase mean to you?

:)-

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Since the term 'free will' isn't in scriptures, it's a moot point.

Whether some haven't been given a "choice" or not in this world isn't my concern.

What IS my concern is that I HAVE been given a choice. I've chosen Life. What choice have you chosen?

(Deu 30:19) I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether some haven't been given a "choice" or not in this world isn't my concern.
It should be since that means that your God isn't loving everyone as He claims to. He puts some in hell on purpose? how is that loving?

@thread:

This topic as a whole really isn't that complicated if you approach it correctly.
The question hinges on a simpler one: "Can God make you sin? or do you choose to sin against Him?" Scripture is very clear on this. If God isn't making all your choices for you, including making you sin, that means you have free will. REAL free will.

If you want more proof: How can you be in relationship with Christ at all if He is controlling you completely? Relationships require love both ways. Love is given, not taken. God can't make you love Him, or it's not love.

But, that doesn't mean He doesn't have sovereignty of your life either. His foreknowledge of events makes it unnecessary, but not impossible, for Him to intervene in your life since He knows what you will ultimately choose.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Doug_E_Fresh said:
It should be since that means that your God isn't loving everyone as He claims to. He puts some in hell on purpose? how is that loving?

@thread:

This topic as a whole really isn't that complicated if you approach it correctly.
The question hinges on a simpler one: "Can God make you sin? or do you choose to sin against Him?" Scripture is very clear on this. If God isn't making all your choices for you, including making you sin, that means you have free will. REAL free will.

If you want more proof: How can you be in relationship with Christ at all if He is controlling you completely? Relationships require love both ways. Love is given, not taken. God can't make you love Him, or it's not love.

But, that doesn't mean He doesn't have sovereignty of your life either. His foreknowledge of events makes it unnecessary, but not impossible, for Him to intervene in your life since He knows what you will ultimately choose.
I know of no such God as you are vainly imagining to your own destruction

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Whitestone
You're pouring an awful lot of judgement into your coffee. You might want to cut back a little bit before you start making a fool out of yourself. You may not see this as an important topic, but your ignorance of it doesn't make it any less important.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Doug_E_Fresh said:
@Whitestone
You're pouring an awful lot of judgement into your coffee. You might want to cut back a little bit before you start making a fool out of yourself. You may not see this as an important topic, but your ignorance of it doesn't make it any less important.
I have reported your offensive posts. I am not interested in your snarky opinions. Please attempt to communicate with wisdom and respect. This is a Christian forum you may recall, there is a certain standard for how you conduct yourself here I believe.

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doug_E_Fresh said:

@thread:

"He knows what you will ultimately choose"

I totally Disagree

tooldtocare

Status
Not open for further replies.