From Old Man to New Man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Romans 6 we read that the Old Man is dead to those who have been born of the Spirit in an initial grace.

An initial grace?

Yes. The beginning of our walk is freedom from the bondage of Egypt. This is equivalent to being saved FROM the world. But saved from is different from being saved to. Saved to what?

We are saved from Egypt into a wilderness walk. Welcome to Romans 7. Here we see that the wilderness walk is a walk in transition between the Old Man and the New Man. But the issue of sin is still not dealt with. Paul become more alarmed in this phase of his walk than before...why? Well, because we have been made more sensitive to sin...the fact that our flesh nature continues to live AFTER regeneration by the Spirit is distressing. He says it is now "sin in me" that affects his behaviour. That sin comes from a sin factory called "the outer man".

The only way to be free from sin in the outer man is to be crucified with Christ.

But haven't we already been crucified with Christ in an initial grace? Well, no. A SAMPLE of grace is not the same as the full measure of grace. A taste is not the same as a full partaking.

Why do we only get a sample? A sample of grace is free but the full measure of grace costs us everything. During the wilderness walk we carry our own cross as we are LED by the Spirit. But to enter into the Promised Land we will need to be crucified..divided in ourselves...with one part being dead and the other part made alive through the resurrection life of Christ.

It is only as the outer man is crucified that we are free to enter into the Promised Land...which is the spiritual walk described in Romans 8. it is here that the New Man is put on...as a covering for the now liberated inner man. The New Man is a covering that gives us the grace to walk as Jesus walked...without sin. Putting on Christ means putting on His perfection.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It is only as the outer man is crucified that we are free to enter into the Promised Land...which is the spiritual walk described in Romans 8. it is here that the New Man is put on...as a covering for the now liberated inner man. The New Man is a covering that gives us the grace to walk as Jesus walked...without sin. Putting on Christ means putting on His perfection.
Nope, don't agree, I lean toward the Puritan and Reformed theology, the total depravity of man and no sinless perfection already obtained in this life.
@Christophany is against reformed theology, and so are many.

I can say one thing, as I read the posts I would rather stay in scriptures since my eternal destination is at stake here, yet there are many heteros "voices" taking this forum with violence.
Shalom
J.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 6 we read that the Old Man is dead to those who have been born of the Spirit in an initial grace.

An initial grace?

Yes. The beginning of our walk is freedom from the bondage of Egypt. This is equivalent to being saved FROM the world. But saved from is different from being saved to. Saved to what?

We are saved from Egypt into a wilderness walk. Welcome to Romans 7. Here we see that the wilderness walk is a walk in transition between the Old Man and the New Man. But the issue of sin is still not dealt with. Paul become more alarmed in this phase of his walk than before...why? Well, because we have been made more sensitive to sin...the fact that our flesh nature continues to live AFTER regeneration by the Spirit is distressing. He says it is now "sin in me" that affects his behaviour. That sin comes from a sin factory called "the outer man".

The only way to be free from sin in the outer man is to be crucified with Christ.

But haven't we already been crucified with Christ in an initial grace? Well, no. A SAMPLE of grace is not the same as the full measure of grace. A taste is not the same as a full partaking.

Why do we only get a sample? A sample of grace is free but the full measure of grace costs us everything. During the wilderness walk we carry our own cross as we are LED by the Spirit. But to enter into the Promised Land we will need to be crucified..divided in ourselves...with one part being dead and the other part made alive through the resurrection life of Christ.

So, we get the initial down payment...Hebrews 6:5 “...have tasted of the powers of the age to come.”

2 Corinthians 1:22
"Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."
And many other verses pertaining to this.

Since sin is living in our flesh, the more we go through the wilderness, being tested over and over again...we should take a lesson from the Jews who Moses freed from Pharaoh. Kill the flesh (crucify) kill the sin in it...then can we put on Christ and leave the old man behind. man, this is (as promised) a long and arduous journey.
One step at a time...hope this makes sense, trying to understand!

Indeed bro! The cost of following Him is...EVERYTHING!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

An initial grace?

Ooohh…
yeah. At that place where you say we become even more alarmed - I got stuck there for a long time. Its pretty awful. I think it’s the place where people start making up all the stuff.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nope, don't agree, I lean toward the Puritan and Reformed theology, the total depravity of man and no sinless perfection already obtained in this life.
@Christophany is against reformed theology, and so are many.

I can say one thing, as I read the posts I would rather stay in scriptures since my eternal destination is at stake here, yet there are many heteros "voices" taking this forum with violence.
Shalom
J.
If you are concerned with your eternal destiny...there is nothing wrong with not limiting what is now possible with the grace of God. I would think that limiting God limits what your inheritance could be...not the other way round.

People tend to limit God based on their own experience. Unless one believes they have experienced every possible gift and experience of God...there should be some room for others to have experienced more.

Reform theology is from men...trying to compensate with doctrines (theologies) for a lack of a higher walk in Christ.