Fruit of Self-control and weight loss

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive been on a weight loss journey for over three years. I started tracking at 210 pounds. Im now 184 pounds. My goal is 162.

Right now, Ive just had lunch and have the stronv desire to overeat seconds.

I'm calling on God's wisdom and the words of the New Testament saying

1 Corinthians 9:27​

King James Version​

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anyone else has wisdom on self-control and weight loss, please share.

Reactions: Nancy

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After consecutive days of not eating for 12 to 18 hours.

It seems as if a point is reached where the bodies clock resets and food cravings decline.

The same might be said of transitioning to a healthier diet.

Drinking fluids could help to stave off hunger. It fills the stomach but not in a way that is difficult to get rid of.

Foods with high calories and high sugar pack on the most unwanted pounds. Fried foods are bad for arteries and the heart. Fried vegetable oils especially should be avoided.

Reactions: Wynona

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing I want to hear from people wanting to loose weight is. Who told them they were fat. I weigh more than I did in high school, so what, I'm not a teenager anymore and I don't look it. I can walk a mile with no problem and still get up and down from the ground. My knees hurt only a little.. Who am I going to impress, nobody, so who cares if I weigh more. Just wondering.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing I want to hear from people wanting to loose weight is. Who told them they were fat. I weigh more than I did in high school, so what, I'm not a teenager anymore and I don't look it. I can walk a mile with no problem and still get up and down from the ground. My knees hurt only a little.. Who am I going to impress, nobody, so who cares if I weigh more. Just wondering.
I knew I gained the weight from bad choices and I know I don't feel confident in a bigger body.

I believe there are those who dont truly care about weight gain and thats fine. But if a person wants to lose weight to be healthier and more confident, I think its good.

I used to do this weird back and forth between trying to accept the weight gain and wanting to lose it. Its hard to lose weight but I found it more worth it in the long run to accept that I didn't feel confident with extra weight and put in the work to change that.

As always, people can and will do as they please.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew I gained the weight from bad choices and I know I don't feel confident in a bigger body.

I believe there are those who dont truly care about weight gain and thats fine. But if a person wants to lose weight to be healthier and more confident, I think its good.

I used to do this weird back and forth between trying to accept the weight gain and wanting to lose it. Its hard to lose weight but I found it more worth it in the long run to accept that I didn't feel confident with extra weight and put in the work to change that.

As always, people can and will do as they please.
If you see a doctor and your vitals are fine, then the weight is no problem. Sometimes the weight loss is more harm than good, as in not eating the nutrients you need. The weight loss craze only started after magazines and TV. Satan wants you to have low esteem. Just look at the unhappy women stars and what they do to be skinny. Those models you see on TV barely eat lettuce to survive. Your family doesn't care does it? I'm trying to build you up here. Hippocrates said to go for a walk to feel better, and if you don't, go for another walk.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you see a doctor and your vitals are fine, then the weight is no problem. Sometimes the weight loss is more harm than good, as in not eating the nutrients you need. The weight loss craze only started after magazines and TV. Satan wants you to have low esteem. Just look at the unhappy women stars and what they do to be skinny. Those models you see on TV barely eat lettuce to survive. Your family doesn't care does it? I'm trying to build you up here. Hippocrates said to go for a walk to feel better, and if you don't, go for another walk.
I appreciate that you are trying to help. But I don't think weight loss is only a toxic money making craze. The crazed diets and programs are just people cashing in on a real problem. I do think of weight gain in America and other western countries as a real problem and the result of an unhealthy diet. We've just gotten bigger from all these processed unhealthy food combined with stressful life choices.

I can eat a variety of good satisfying foods and anything in moderation. Learning self discipline, exercise, and moderating my portions has only helped me out.

There is a healthy point between "healthy at any size" and "starve yourself to be bone thin". Its learning to enjoy food in moderation, to enjoy movement, and patience. I certainly have to be honest with myself. I value self discipline, wearing the clothes I want, and yes, looking slim. My husband loves me regardless and wouldnt want me stressed but he does prefer me slimmed down.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can eat a variety of good satisfying foods and anything in moderation. Learning self discipline, exercise, and moderating my portions has only helped me out.
Amen!!.....I work out a lot ( exercise) ...I learnt everything in moderation...some days I can go without food....I’m battling with Lattes, at the moment with added cream...I get through 6 of those a day....I’m addicted to the darn things.....I have prayed to the Lord that I start afresh tomorrow and only drink water....as you say, it’s self discipline...I discipline myself with food....so I can do the same with these drinks....I think it’s to do with comfort, if that makes sense....they are a comfort when I drink them....a bit like food, used to be a comfort....I weigh 9 stone 11 lbs....have kept the weight off by exercise and eating moderate meals...I also eat healthy.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!!.....I work out a lot ( exercise) ...I learnt everything in moderation...some days I can go without food....I’m battling with Lattes, at the moment with added cream...I get through 6 of those a day....I’m addicted to the darn things.....I have prayed to the Lord that I start afresh tomorrow and only drink water....as you say, it’s self discipline...I discipline myself with food....so I can do the same with these drinks....I think it’s to do with comfort, if that makes sense....they are a comfort when I drink them....
Those lattes must be good! Maybe its the caffeine?

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those lattes must be good! Maybe its the caffeine?
They are good...maybe the caffeine...I add two sugars and cream to everyone.LOL....fresh start tomorrow...I can’t see me going all day with only water...I’ll cut down slowly......well done on your weight loss journey @Wynona ...do you find you feel better as well, for losing that weight?

Reactions: Wynona

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I felt the same....much more confident exercising and being toned...these are the machines I use to exercise on..I used to be a gym bunny...the gym fees are far to much...therefore I exercise at home now....image.jpg

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are good...maybe the caffeine...I add two sugars and cream to everyone.LOL....fresh start tomorrow...I can’t see me going all day with only water...I’ll cut down slowly......well done on your weight loss journey @Wynona ...do you find you feel better as well, for losing that weight?
I do feel better. My mood seems to fluctuate less and I feel more confident about my looks and sense of self control.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I felt the same....much more confident exercising and being toned...these are the machines I use to exercise on..I used to be a gym bunny...the gym fees are far to much...therefore I exercise at home now....View attachment 38382
Nice! My husband started going to the gym and taking me along. So far, I enjoy it. Especially weights.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A glass of water oughtta do it. Helps fill you up, zero calories, good for you.Bestt if drunk through a straw or in a bottle, For some reason, it goes down easier.

Last edited:

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Reading news headlines, all I see is ukraine war, hamas war, climate change war.

Crisis looms on the horizon.

Improving health and fitness, improves my chances for prosperity and survival when times get hard.

This was the genesis of my 2023 new year's resolution to exercise everyday:

Resolutions

• Exercise everyday in 2023
  • Meditate on God everyday in 2023
  • Etc, etc

There is a long list of things that need attention.

It is possible that humans weren't built to sit in a chair 24/7.

We're better adapted to a more active lifestyle & there are a lot of tangible and intangible positive feelings that come with it.

Reactions: Cassandra

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So much of our identity is wrapped up in our self perception it's almost unhealthy psychologically.
I've seen what effect gastric bypass surgery has on people...especially women. Women having it done go nuts in a manner...end up divorced almost 80% of the time afterwards.

And where I personally don't understand it...I can understand how looking in a mirror and not recognizing the person who looks back at you doesn't really compute with who you think you are. (My reflection is so much older than I think myself to be)

I can(and usually do) accept people for who they are and how they appear . What is in their heart is the part that matters most. What comes out of people's hearts can be some of the most kindest, loving, insane, or hateful, self-absorbed nonsense ever. And it's all up to them as to who they want to be.

I can understand wanting to be in better physical condition....I have to work regularly on my core strength myself. And it's complete drudgery to me....but I do know how having a stronger core strength makes me perform and do what I want to do.

For women...I'm educated guessing but I think that no matter what they really have issues with how they look. They judge their self worth by their appearance. (As if that really mattered much at all) There's tons of pretty girls that are nothing more than prostitutes who sell images of their naked bodies all over the internet....as if that really shows their self worth. To me? That sort of thing shows their lack of self worth.

Can they cook? Clean? Be a friend? Have any skill beyond that of furniture or a clothes rack? How about something other than a puppet? And usually the answer is "no"....they can't.

Its fine to be in better physical condition...but not let it become an idol you worship at. God made us all to be different shapes and sizes. In the USA food is so inexpensive by comparison of our incomes that it's very difficult to not be overweight by the national Healthcare standards. Enjoy the fruits of youth where you can exercise with abandon and not feel the destroyed joint pain. Increased physical activity is so much fun. Sore muscles and all of that stretching the limits of physical endurance....all good stuff.
Because the day will come that it's not going to go well when you hit the gym. And those pounds keep sliding on...no matter how many push backs from the table you do.