Gardening, Homesteading, Off-grid, etc

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We use to raise goats to have as friends. Baby goats are the cutest.
Love the chicken house invention. I'd love to raise chickens here but they'd never survive the prowling coons and foxes. :(
Perhaps a livestock guardian dog would deter foxes.

Reactions: WaterSong

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing these. :)

Many years ago I considered living off the grid. I subscribed back then to a healing herbs home study course. At that time the teacher also had a newsletter. One edition carried a real estate sales advertisement for an off the grid stone cabin deep in the Arkansas mountains for sale. New roof, all
hand hewn stone.
I telephoned the seller to inquire. Ten acres with a fresh water stream included. And the foundation of this cabin was one giant peace of rock. They'd dug down to make the foundation for their cabin and when they hit the rock just kept digging. And the cabin had a fireplace.
He emailed me pictures too.
How much? $5000.00!
"Is that too much?"
I almost fell on the floor.

Considering that drastic lifestyle change made me to look for how-to books to learn how to survive off grid.
That's when I discovered the Fox Fire book series. View attachment 12044 Six manuals that will teach you everything from how to skin animals and make clothing, to canning.
That property also had two giant gardens. One of vegetables and the other healing herbs. "We're too far from a doctor for anything to go wrong. You have to help yourself out here. " This explained why his ad was in a herbal healing teachers newsletter.

Long story made short. I didn't move and live off grid. The cabin owner informed me the area of Arkansas he was in was a bit close knit. What we call, Clannish. He'd been living there for 30 years and the locals still considered him a stranger.

Been there, done that. Clannish personalities were the deal breaker. That and the fact that in that area of the mountains then Arkansas Governor William Jefferson Clinton had allotted for huge parcels of state property to be used by companies looking to unload nuclear waste water.
"Nearly glows in the dark some nights!"
The other deal breaker? When a notice of correspondence coarse herb classes were being permanently suspended due to the death threat our teacher received just days before. One of those Clannish folk had knocked on her door. And when she opened it there was a 44 magnum handgun pointing straight at her face. The man behind the gun said, we know you worship Satan and if you don't get out you're dead.

Yeah, she left.
That's pretty wild! lol
I knew Clinton was born in Arkansas, but wasn't aware of any nuclear waste dumps making things glow in the dark. What area of Arkansas is that? Where was the property you were considering? (And no wonder the price was so amazing. Lol)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's pretty wild! lol
I knew Clinton was born in Arkansas, but wasn't aware of any nuclear waste dumps making things glow in the dark. What area of Arkansas is that? Where was the property you were considering? (And no wonder the price was so amazing. Lol)
@TLHKAJ I think maybe the Whitewater thing in Arkansas failed because it was in the middle of nowhere, basically...

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a livestock guardian dog would deter foxes.
Likely so. But then I'd worry the foxes would be hurt by the guard dog.

Joe Biden's home state is Delaware. I have a friend that follows college football and he'd heard about the Blue Hen team there.
I had to look it up because of the name. Blue hens.
Yep, they're real.

upload_2020-12-11_0-47-14.jpeg
th
These don't play football though.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We use to raise goats to have as friends. Baby goats are the cutest.
Love the chicken house invention. I'd love to raise chickens here but they'd never survive the prowling coons and foxes. :(
That Cog Hill Farm channel makes me laugh with every video. :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Joe Biden's home state is Delaware. I have a friend that follows college football and he'd heard about the Blue Hen team there.
Yep, they're real.

View attachment 12045
th
I think it's Rhode Island Reds, as well, isn't it?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yep, they're real.

View attachment 12045
th
Those are beautiful! Watch this little girl. She knows her bird facts! :)

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's pretty wild! lol
I knew Clinton was born in Arkansas, but wasn't aware of any nuclear waste dumps making things glow in the dark. What area of Arkansas is that?
Where was the property you were considering?
It's been nearly 20 years and I don't remember the town or county the cabin was in.
I do know Clinton had a horrible environmental record as Governor Clinton of Arkansas. He doesn't have that good a record as just Bill Clinton either.
Remembering The Vertac Site: How Clinton Supported One Of World’s Worst Hazardous Waste Disasters

(And no wonder the price was so amazing. Lol)
No kidding. I was thinking as he told me that, do you accept cashiers checks?
I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating about the near glow in the dark part of it all.

The thing that struck me as we chatted on the phone was, he seemed to be trying to talk me out of buying the cabin and property.
And this prior to telling me about the Clannish community there and the radioactive burial sites.

But he'd lived there for all those years and had built that cabin. I'm thinking he was probably having second thoughts after his ad got that first phone call. Now it could be real. He'd have the chance to move if he did go through with the sale.
He was going to buy land somewhere else in Arkansas and do the same thing all over again. Build his home, till the land, live off grid.
It's a hard life. Which he kept reiterating. He even had a well.
Though after that part about the nuclear waste burials, I'm wondering if he'd have ever dared get that water tested.

Clinton was the longest serving Governor of Arkansas. He served 11 years and 11 months. He was also the second youngest to be elected to the post. I've looked for information relating Governor Bill Clinton's allowing radioactive waste burial in Arkansas and can't find a thing. Now I'm hoping the cabin owner wasn't blaming Clinton when it wasn't something he had anything to do with.

Ever wonder why Bill doesn't live in Arkansas? And HRC, when running for the Senate, moved to New York to represent that state and not Arkansas?
How much nuclear waste is in your state? (Don't do an image search for the keywords, nuclear waste burial sites. :( The things we do to our planet! Inside America's most toxic nuclear waste dump, where 56 million gallons of buried radioactive sludge are leaking into the earth
Radioactive nuclear waste sits on Great Lakes shores)
Arkansas: 1,530 metric tons

The NRC has rated the Arkansas Nuclear One plant as the worst in the country for safety standards. In 2013, one worker was killed and eight more were injured in a botched evacuation.

new-mexico-gettyimages-564035673.jpg

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's Rhode Island Reds, as well, isn't it?
Yes, a team and a chicken too.
upload_2020-12-11_1-56-7.jpegupload_2020-12-11_1-56-16.jpeg

I just think a blue chicken is really unique. Beautiful birds.

This is so precious.
Who says chickens are stupid? Watch the rooster walk around and check on his hen being hugged by the little boy. That's adorable. As if he's supervising to be sure she's OK.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ I think maybe the Whitewater thing in Arkansas failed because it was in the middle of nowhere, basically...
Oh yeah, duh ...but as far as glowing in the dark....? I believe this was two separate issues.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you can get one, @Prayer Warrior ...we have 2 dogs. One is mine and the other belongs to my oldest son. Mine is a 4 yr old male Anatolian Pyrenees. He's huge! His is a 6 yr old female Blue Heeler.
Pepsi is now six years old . Bella my blue heeler , she is about to be seven . I still remember the pictures of those fuzzy pups pepsi had
a couple of years back . Sadly sampson died . he had a stroke and massive seizure . He died last january .

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pepsi is now six years old . Bella my blue heeler , she is about to be seven . I still remember the pictures of those fuzzy pups pepsi had
a couple of years back . Sadly sampson died . he had a stroke and massive seizure . He died last january .
I'm sorry to hear that about Sampson. :(
You will remember I had several cats. Well, they all mysteriously disappeared one by one, and one was killed for sure. :( We have amazing neighbors (not!).

Reactions: amigo de christo

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You will remember I had several cats. Well, they all mysteriously disappeared one by one, and one was killed for sure. :( We have amazing neighbors (not!).
Talk about wooly bullies!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is something I enjoy a lot, watching other people's journeys related to homesteading and off-grid living. I watch for entertainment, as well as to learn from them how it's done. :)

I figured I'd share some videos from the YT channels I regularly watch.
I'm thinking communal living.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh no . they got the white kitten you raised from birth . That is sad dear sister .