Gen. 8 A Lesson

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
It is said the entire Plan of God is written in Genesis, Now I believe this to be true but will probably not live long enough to find it all. If there's one thing that I could grant everyone it would the Eyes to see the layers upon layersof teaching in the Word. To borrow an analogy from Tim_from-PAits like the layers of an onion I'm not sure we could never get to the end of this onion in our physical bodies. There is teaching on the surface, then there is a spiritual layer, there is another layer when you learn the original languages you see there is more, then there are symbolic layers, it goes on and on. I sometimes think a novel could be written on each chapter. The amazing thing is every layer,you uncover the story gets more and clear,the confusion comes when don't look deeper the deeper you look the simpler it becomes. To not learn about these layers of his Word and make sense of allscripture is like trying to write the history of World by only studying one city in it. You can not see the forest thru the trees.With this being said I thought it might be fun and a good learning experience to take a chapter and show those that do not know how. Just how much is written into Gods Word. Are you game?Years ago I when reading an old copy of Noah I stumbled upon a quote written in Genesis 8:vs7 Now the quote wasn't a part of excepted scripture but it did plant a seed an make me want to understand what it meant. Last week while reading a post from my friend Karin she mentioned this verse and it reminded me of the study I had started years ago so thought we could try this exercise with the first half of Genesis Chapter 8.Genesis is the sister Book of Revelation they are the Book ends of Gods Word. They are sometimes called mirror images, they can often shed light on one another. it is said you can not fully understand the end till you understand the beginning.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Genesis Chapter 8Gen 8:1 ¶ And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that [was] with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged; Gen 8:2 The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained; Gen 8:3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated. Gen 8:4 And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat. Gen 8:5 And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth [month], on the first [day] of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen. Gen 8:6 ¶ And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made: Gen 8:7 And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth. Gen 8:8 Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground; Gen 8:9 But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters [were] on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark. Gen 8:10 And he stayed yet other seven days; and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark; Gen 8:11 And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth [was] an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth. Gen 8:12 And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more. Gen 8:13 ¶ And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first [month], the first [day] of the month, the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and, behold, the face of the ground was dry. Gen 8:14 And in the second month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, was the earth dried. Gen 8:15 ¶ And God spake unto Noah, saying, Gen 8:16 Go forth of the ark, thou, and thy wife, and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee. Gen 8:17 Bring forth with thee every living thing that [is] with thee, of all flesh, [both] of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth; that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
As an example to start us off lets take verse 1Gen 8:1 ¶ And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that [was] with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswagedon the surface its pretty self explanitory at first read my biggest question might be what does "asswaged" meanThe hebrew word for asswaged is shakak(H7918) it is a root word used as a verb meaning 1.to subside,abate,decrease a.(Qal) to abate b. (hiphil) to allaySo we can see that it means to subside,abate,decreaseif we look deeper at this word asswaged we find Stongsgives us this explanationAsswage:And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters ASSWAGED; the fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained; (Genesis 8:1-2) Now we have a 1/4 page of information on one word what if we did this with every word in the Bible? Are you starting to see how it works?Now if you want to go futher lets look at the word "wind" we just simply in our fast world today say O.K. its a wind but is it? "Wind" Hebrew Word for wind is "ruwach" (H7307) a feminine noun1) wind, breath, mind, spirita) breath
cool.gif
wind1) of heaven2) quarter (of wind), side3) breath of air4) air, gas5) vain, empty thingc) spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation)1) spirit, animation, vivacity, vigour2) courage3) temper, anger4) impatience, patience5) spirit, disposition (as troubled, bitter, discontented)6) disposition (of various kinds), unaccountable or uncontrollable impulse7) prophetic spiritd) spirit (of the living, breathing being in man and animals)1) as gift, preserved by God, God's spirit, departing at death, disembodied beinge) spirit (as seat of emotion)1) desire2) sorrow, troublef) spirit1) as seat or organ of mental acts2) rarely of the will3) as seat especially of moral characterg) Spirit of God, the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son1) as inspiring ecstatic state of prophecy2) as impelling prophet to utter instruction or warning3) imparting warlike energy and executive and administrative power4) as endowing men with various gifts5) as energy of life6) as manifest in the Shekinah glory7) never referred to as a depersonalised forceStudy these possiable words that can mean "wind" you will see that you can sort of sum them up to mean in this context that the wind is a straight from God a breath of wind come from the holy spirit of God. We can also see from the meaning the Wind can have a positive or negative meaning depending on the context of the verse and words around it (Example- 3) imparting warlike energy and executive and administrative power)Now when read "God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged"We start to see the majasesty of his word. We see the verse could read: God sent his holy breath to pass over the earth and the waters obeyed and receeded. of course that not how it reads but never again will you just see the word "wind" in scripture an just pas over it without some thought. Now try it yourself lets see what we can learn using the verse above from Gen 8:1-17 Share you thought and findings Here is the link to take every word of the KJV back to Hebrew or Greekhttp://blueletterbible.org/search.html click on Word /phrase search type in the word DO NOT FORGET TO PUT A CHECK MARK IN THE BOX MARKED STONGSyou will get the verse as followsGen 8:1 And God 0430 remembered 02142 Noah 05146, and every living thing 02416, and all the cattle 0929 that [was] with him in the ark 08392: and God 0430 made 05674 00 a wind 07307 to pass 05674 over 05921 the earth 0776, and the waters 04325 asswaged 07918 ; Just click on the little numbers next to each word and you will get that words in the hebrew/english dictionary

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Lesson 2 SymbolicsYou can also find deeper (hidden messages ) using Symbols but there are rules that must be followed THE BIBLE INTERPUTS ITSELFGod teaches much the way you teach children in school sometimes he paints a picture with words sometimes its obvious sometimes its hidden. Lets look at Gen 8:8 Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground; The Dove as most know as always been symbol for the Holy Spirit(remember the rule) it that so then the symbolics must be written in scriptureMat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: So see we have scriptural truth this is so. Many times in symbols you will find a opposite a negative to the positive (this is a little harder as its not always as obvious) lets take this verse . Gen 8:7 And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth. Now it not hard to see a Raven also a bird is the exact opposite of the Dove.Ones black and ones white of course you can see that these colors also represent emotions Black(evil) White (good), We can also find with little effort the Raven is an unclean Bird while the Dove is a clean Bird. Are you starting to get a picture here?If the Dove is the Holy Spirit of God made manifest in Christ who is the Raven?lets look at the words around him he went to and fro upon the earth Who also went to and fro and was evil of spirit ,unclean Job 2:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. (also Job1:7)So we can see God is beginning to paint a picture for us that is not written in the surface words. When does Satan come? at the End so we start to see the mirror image of Revelation showing up in Gen. We see the positive of Christ vs the negative of Satan (the war of good and evil) Is there more symbolics in these verses to make this picture become a little clearertry doing a standard Bible search on the word "Waters" (you will get many) but is there one that tell you what waters is symbolic for???(hint Rev.ch 17)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Okay, while not great at Hebrew (for knowing difinations) I'll start with Genesis 8:1Genesis 8:1 - And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;And God remembered Noah and every living thing (chay) (which is races) and all the cattle (every animal, whether fowl, creeping things) and God made a wind (Spirit of God) to pass over the earth, and the waters (literal I think, could be wrong) asswaged.H2416 chay khah'-ee from 2421; alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:--+ age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, + merry, multitude, + (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.H4325 mayim mah'-yim dual of a primitive noun (but used in a singular sense); water; figuratively, juice; by euphemism, urine, semen:--+ piss, wasting, water(-ing, (-course, -flood, -spring)).Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
very good Jag are you seeing how so much more is being said then just the surface words. The surface words give us the basic idea of what going on but thats not all it says. This is how we get better understanding what God is telling us. Is it always nessary No! but when we run into difficult things to understand we dont have to guess or listen to men God has fore told us all things we just have to work at finding it.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Lesson # 3There is also a whole area of Numbers in scripture. There are the base biblical numbers that have fairly fixed easy meanings but it can also get very complicated as Hebrew letters are also numbers (ex. A=1) Some of the base ones are verily well known and usually repeated over and over again in scripture 40= probation,testing,trials (as in rained 40 days and 40 nights) 5 = Grace 6=man 7= completeness 8=new beginnings 10 = perfection ext.But they can also serve to help further understand a verse or give it a deeper spiritual meaningLets look at Gen 8:3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated. 150 days = 5 months 5 months where is five months in scripture mentioned a quick bible search on the term 5 months will show three times this term occurs 2 of the three are in Rev. 9:5 an 9:10both of these scripture are talking about the 5 months that Satan and his army can torture . Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment [was] as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.Awe there's that Revelation, Satan (Raven) end time theme again, the picture continues to grow. Ps. I do think there is some Hidden Numeric truths in this chapter I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss)
very good Jag are you seeing how so much more is being said then just the surface words. The surface words give us the basic idea of what going on but thats not all it says. This is how we get better understanding what God is telling us. Is it always nessary No! but when we run into difficult things to understand we dont have to guess or listen to men God has fore told us all things we just have to work at finding it.
I know Kriss, the bible is full of symbology in there, isn't it great? Think it about it, it almost feel like a trivia and a maze put together. I'll do Genesis 8:2 later on this thread...I'll edit and put it in this one if there was no reply.
smile.gif
Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes it is wonderful Jag its what makes it so amazing everyday I am in awe of what I learnHave you checked out what "Waters" (Rev.17:15) is symbolic for?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss)
Yes it is wonderful Jag its what makes it so amazing everyday I am in awe of what I learnHave you checked out what "Waters" (Rev.17:15) is symbolic for?
Revelation 17:15 - And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the ***** sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.The word waters is hudor which means...hudor hoo'-dore, and genitive case, hudatos hoo'-dat-os, etc. from the base of 5205; water (as if rainy) literally or figuratively:--water.f) fig. used of many peoplesLovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Right Jag Waters can be symbolic for peoples,nations Notice the term waters is neutral like peoples free wills we can become a part of the living waters of Christ or become dried up,poluted(spiritually) speaking.If you at this verse in a spiritual sense Gen 8:7 And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth. It could symbolize Satan (raven) going to and fro drying up the people (waters) spirituallycan you see that in a spiritual sense???

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Kriss, I'm stunned. So yes I can see it.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
now when does God look down and see all the people(waters) spiritually dried up?At the end times when there is a spiritual drought. Drought causes famine what is the famine end timesAmo 8:11 Behold, the days come , saith the Lord GOD , that I will send a famine in the land not a famine of bread , nor a thirst for water , but of hearing the words of the LORD : So we again have this end time picture related to Rev.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss)
now when does God look down and see all the people(waters) spiritually dried up?At the end times when there is a spiritual drought. Drought causes famine what is the famine end timesAmo 8:11 Behold, the days come , saith the Lord GOD , that I will send a famine in the land not a famine of bread , nor a thirst for water , but of hearing the words of the LORD :So we again have this end time picture related to Rev.
Ok, I may not get you 100%...but from there, famine, is referring to the W**** in Revelation...no?However Amos 8:11 quites parallel to what Yahshua said in John and other passages in other books or chapter.John 4:14 - But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.Please so desire to correct me if I'm so wrong.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
good verse Jag.A good point you see how the Word all works together a spiritual look at one verse often clarifys or confirms another verse. There isnt nessarily just one spiritual verse to explain another it all works together to paint a larger picture. You can see a theme followed through out the Bilbe. Now every time you see waters mentioned your picture becomes expaned as to the deeper meaning (think on this)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Now before we get to off track here lets go back to the verses we are working on and the subject of the beging and the end. lets take verse 3 Gen 8:3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.(refer back to lesson 3)this verse says the waters (peoples) returned contiually isnt that exactly what happened after the flood the peoples started returning to the earth.The second part of this verse gives us a symbolic look at end of this world what will happen ;and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated. After the end of 150 days (5 months) the people(waters) were spiritually dried upNow remember Rev 9:5 an 9:10 we are told that Satan and his locust army will be here 5months spreading his flood of lies to dry up (spiritually the peoples(waters)then what happens? at the end of the 5 months? Christ returns Now look at the next verse in Gen.Genesis 8:4 "And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.""Ararat" in the Hebrew tongue means "high ground". The day that the ark came to rest on that high ground was five months after God sealed Noah in ark. In Rev. Satan/antichrist will be here five Months before the return of our Lord and Savior After five months at the seventh trump we will be taken out of the flood of Satans lies and those sealed with mark of God will be placed on the "high ground" of Christ. So we see again the End being shown in the Begining.Do you see the little details of the same words sealed,seven, ext.See how its starting to all tie together? How when we pull the hebrew the spiritual and the symbology together we a get a new picture that sheds light on the whole picture of Gods plan.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss)
Now before we get to off track here lets go back to the verses we are working on and the subject of the beging and the end.lets take verse 3Gen 8:3 And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.(refer back to lesson 3)this verse says the waters (peoples) returned contiually isnt that exactly what happened after the flood the peoples started returning to the earth.The second part of this verse gives us a symbolic look at end of this world what will happen;and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.After the end of 150 days (5 months) the people(waters) were spiritually dried upNow remember Rev 9:5 an 9:10 we are told that Satan and his locust army will be here 5months spreading his flood of lies to dry up (spiritually the peoples(waters)then what happens? at the end of the 5 months? Christ returns Now look at the next verse in Gen.Genesis 8:4 "And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.""Ararat" in the Hebrew tongue means "high ground". The day that the ark came to rest on that high ground was five months after God sealed Noah in ark.In Rev. Satan/antichrist will be here five Months before the return of our Lord and Savior After five months at the seventh trump we will be taken out of the flood of Satans lies and those sealed with mark of God will be placed on the "high ground" of Christ.So we see again the End being shown in the Beginning.Do you see the little details of the same words sealed,seven, ext.See how its starting to all tie together?
One hundred and fifty days? of course, five Jewish months because each month is thirty days.Oh I get it, when Satan deceives the waters, (people) it is dried up. (or vapour) But the truth of God wants the waters to stay wet and not vapour away.I so love these small details. it is amazing. Kriss, I feel like I'm in school. lol.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
exactly see how awesome Gods word is he just told you the beginning(from noah day)to end in one verseGen 8:3 And the waters (peoples) returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters(peoples) were abated(drying up spiritually)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
As and added bonus here if you remember back in lesson 3 I told you if you did a Bible search on the term 5months(=150 days) it appears 3 times in Gods word we covered the two in Rev. but when is the thrid time it shows up?Luk 1:24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,this is the Elisabeth who is now five months pregant with John the baptist it was John of course who announced that Christ had come to dwell among men. Now what happens in Rev. at the end of the five months of Satan? Christ comes again to dwell among men.Is this amazing how perfect is Gods word.(this is one reason I believe John the baptist will be one of the two wittnesses,but this is just my opinion)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss)
As and added bonus here if you remember back in lesson 3 I told you if you did a Bible search on the term 5months it appears 3 times in Gods word we covered the two in Rev. but when is the thrid time it shows up?Luk 1:24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,this is the Elisabeth who is now five months pregant with John the baptistit was John of course who announced that Christ had come to dwell among men.Now what happens above at the end of the five months of Satan? Christ comes again to dwell among men.Is this amazing how perfect is Gods word.(this is one reason I believe John the baptist will be one of the two wittnesses,but this is just my opinion)
Whether Kriss believes it would be Elias (EliYah/Elijah) or Moses and John the Baptist.Whether people believes EliYah and Moses...Whether people believes in unknown two people...Whoever the two witnesses are, we must be ready.(Kriss)
exactly see how awesome Gods word is he just told you the beginning(from noah day)to end in one verseGen 8:3 And the waters (peoples) returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters(peoples) were abated(drying up spiritually)
Yea, no kidding Kriss...Epecisally these verses in Genesis 8.Genesis 8:5 - And the waters (people) decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.Genesis 8:6 - And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made:Note: Genesis 8:6 makes me think of Matthew 4:2, Luke 4:2, also the rain on Noah's flood...Genesis 7:12, Genesis 7:17...Genesis 8:7 - And he sent forth a raven, (Satan) which went forth to and fro, until the waters (people) were dried up from off the earth.Note: Look at those words, forth to and fro... Job 1:6-7, Job 2:2Genesis 8:8 - Also he sent forth a dove (Spirit of God) from him, to see if the waters (people) were abated from off the face of the ground;Note: Matthew 3:16... These things are unbelieveable...I'll stop there for now now...Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.