Generational Curses ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 31, 2017
Bath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all your feedback, most helpful. I agree then that generational curses are for unbelievers.. but for believers this ended at the Cross. But for those still under the curse, what exactly is the punishment?

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for all your feedback, most helpful. I agree then that generational curses are for unbelievers.. but for believers this ended at the Cross. But for those still under the curse, what exactly is the punishment?
That is two different issues.

There is no curse anymore.

But the unsaved look forward to eternity in the lake of fire.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible mentions “generational curses” in Exodus 20:5, 34:7
Numbers14:18
Deuteronomy 5:9

God warns that He is a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate him.

It sounds unfair for God to punish children for the sins of their fathers? But it seems
the effects of sin are naturally passed down from one generation to the next. When a father has a sinful lifestyle, his children are likely to practice the same sinful lifestyle, and that the children will choose to repeat the sins of their fathers.

To put this in context to understand it correctly, is God talking about children being in observation of the fathers actions and lifestyles, thus by modelling them, that they would become indoctrinated to inherit the same sinful life? Or is God talking about the sins of the fathers being passed down through the're seed and bloodline? that the sins would pass on to the children?

It may be both. I read that some sins are passed down the bloodline. It does seem unfair. It seems unfair when the bible talks about slaves. No person should be another's slave - that's sick. But they practiced it in biblical times. Plural marriages were also practiced in biblical times. I couldn't imagine having to share my husband with other women. I'm sure it engendered jealousy and we can see some of this at play with Rachel and Leah. It seemed unfair when Herod had all the children slain under two in order to kill Christ. We read of "Rachel weeping for her children because they are no more."

There is much in the bible that seems cruel and I don't understand it.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well good...glad to see you finally post something positive my friend. :)

There is much in the Christian faith that isn't positive, unfortunately (although you could never tell Joel Osteen this) Christ was a "man of sorrows" and we're told that "with much wisdom comes much sorrow." I think we all have deep questions that swirl around inside. At bible study I have so many questions I'm afraid to ask them because I send the study in another direction. So it's good to be able to come on here and bounce off of other believers and we should leave the door open to whatever questions we have - be they negative or positive.:)

For instance, right now I'm wondering how far off we are from the end times. It looks to me like we're in them.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may be both. I read that some sins are passed down the bloodline. It does seem unfair. It seems unfair when the bible talks about slaves. No person should be another's slave - that's sick. But they practiced it in biblical times. Plural marriages were also practiced in biblical times. I couldn't imagine having to share my husband with other women. I'm sure it engendered jealousy and we can see some of this at play with Rachel and Leah. It seemed unfair when Herod had all the children slain under two in order to kill Christ. We read of "Rachel weeping for her children because they are no more."

There is much in the bible that seems cruel and I don't understand it.
Sin is not passed down a bloodline like genetics.

In some families the children repeat the sins of the father.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For instance, right now I'm wondering how far off we are from the end times. It looks to me like we're in them.

I agree.
But I also believe that every generation felt that theirs was the end , because it was the worst!! My grandma ( England) was Victorian. Born 1880's
She wore an ankle length black dress . I never saw her in any else but black.
She felt the generation of my mum and dad were the end. Knee length dress and dancing!! Horror of horrors, so indiscreet .

My own parents couldn't believe the final days had come because of teenage rebellion , rock and roll , drugs and " free love. "

And so it goes on.
We see the corruption of governments , hatred, liberalism to the extreme, in areas walks of life... anti-christian, laws, and controls over every human born. And we feel it can't get worse also.
But who knows , it will probably continue downward until what is now Mr Everybody and still reasonably free, literally be as controlled and herded like animals. Who knows how far the One Worlders will go! We have no idea.

I hope and pray that this IS the last of the Last Days!!! ( and not the beginning of the Last Days :eek: )

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hope and pray that this IS the last of the Last Days!!! ( and not the beginning of the Last Days :eek: )

It is what you fear, the next day/age/generation is creeping up on us and I may just live long enough to see it happen, but by then I may be to old to be really interested in the events going on in the world at that time.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin is not passed down a bloodline like genetics.

In some families the children repeat the sins of the father.

I read that it is. Scripture says God will visit the sins of the fathers upon the children = passed through the bloodline. I just read about a deliverance minister who said that he's cast demons out of babies. A baby can't sin - other than being born a general sinner.

When there is doubt I tend to look first at personal experience and then to those in that specific ministry.

Deliverance | Jesus Setting Free

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.
But I also believe that every generation felt that theirs was the end , because it was the worst!! My grandma ( England) was Victorian. Born 1880's
She wore an ankle length black dress . I never saw her in any else but black.
She felt the generation of my mum and dad were the end. Knee length dress and dancing!! Horror of horrors, so indiscreet .

My own parents couldn't believe the final days had come because of teenage rebellion , rock and roll , drugs and " free love. "

And so it goes on.
We see the corruption of governments , hatred, liberalism to the extreme, in areas walks of life... anti-christian, laws, and controls over every human born. And we feel it can't get worse also.
But who knows , it will probably continue downward until what is now Mr Everybody and still reasonably free, literally be as controlled and herded like animals. Who knows how far the One Worlders will go! We have no idea.

I've heard that said Helen - that every generation thought that theirs was the end. I just see such wickedness that has come upon us just in my lifetimes. I feel sorry for the kids today; they'll never know those better times. I always say I develop PTSD after reading the news. Every day we sink to a new low. Like you, I hope and pray these are the last days.

Your humor is refreshing!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well good...glad to see you finally post something positive my friend. :)

Hi Helen - I wanted to share something. I'm not a demonologist; I've only read up on it. I'm of the belief that Christians can harbor a demon; I could tell you some awful things that I know "Christians" have done. I believe that the Jezebel spirit was in my birth family - going back and learning what ancestors have done - the info. available that is - you can sometime see a pattern repeated in a later generation. I had a close friend who I later learned exhibited the Jezebel spirit and I think she may have passed it on to me - or it came down through my generational lineage. My sister is a very evil woman. She's a Christian. I don't know how or why but only God knows. That is why I believe that all Christians would do well to work through a deliverance. I have a number of times. I learned that my great-grandfather was a pastor - which bothered me because someone in my lineage dropped the ball. It may have been my grandparents or my mother. When my mother married my father she had to agree to raise us Catholic. I went all through CCD and attending mass, doing confession, confirmation etc. I learned nothing. I don't know where the fault lay but when I sought God I knew nothing, but I knew that the Catholic church wasn't filling my need.

I believe that none of us know what our ancestors did which is why I believe in doing a self-deliverance. I don't know if I'm wrong or right but I have seen some things that have led me to this conclusion. I guess when it comes down to it we have to see what God shows us.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Helen - I wanted to share something. I'm not a demonologist; I've only read up on it. I'm of the belief that Christians can harbor a demon; I could tell you some awful things that I know "Christians" have done. I believe that the Jezebel spirit was in my birth family - going back and learning what ancestors have done - the info. available that is - you can sometime see a pattern repeated in a later generation. I had a close friend who I later learned exhibited the Jezebel spirit and I think she may have passed it on to me - or it came down through my generational lineage. My sister is a very evil woman. She's a Christian. I don't know how or why but only God knows. That is why I believe that all Christians would do well to work through a deliverance. I have a number of times. I learned that my great-grandfather was a pastor - which bothered me because someone in my lineage dropped the ball. It may have been my grandparents or my mother. When my mother married my father she had to agree to raise us Catholic. I went all through CCD and attending mass, doing confession, confirmation etc. I learned nothing. I don't know where the fault lay but when I sought God I knew nothing, but I knew that the Catholic church wasn't filling my need.

I believe that none of us know what our ancestors did which is why I believe in doing a self-deliverance. I don't know if I'm wrong or right but I have seen some things that have led me to this conclusion. I guess when it comes down to it we have to see what God shows us.
Having the spirit of something does not mean demon possessed every time. It means having attitude, proclivity and nature of something.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God warns that He is a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate him.

God does not warn what you say. God does not punish.

Exodus 20:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Suppose you bash your foot against a curb: it's going to hurt. Does that mean God is punishing you for your clumsiness? I don't think so. God is the God of rightness: your foot hurts because God designed it to notify you of damage. Your foot hurts because that is the right thing for a damaged foot to do.

Likewise, if you serve false gods your children will not learn the ways of rightness and they will inherit the consequences of that lack of knowledge. Because that is the right result of following the wrong gods. Not because a crabby old guy in the sky is punishing them.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If anyone still has strongholds they could pass that along as generational curses. These are literally demons which they nourished, and these same can spread their seed and take root into others.

Can Christians have demonic strongholds? Rather ask can they still sin? Because if they are tempted to sin then as they did before, that is proof of strongholds in them to some degree.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anyone still has strongholds they could pass that along as generational curses. These are literally demons which they nourished, and these same can spread their seed and take root into others.

Can Christians have demonic strongholds? Rather ask can they still sin? Because if they are tempted to sin then as they did before, that is proof of strongholds in them to some degree.
Absolutely.

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Absolutely.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have some things I'm confused on that I was looking for some answers on.

It seems that at the start of this thread, the general consensus is that generational curses stop at the cross. If you're saved - they are no more.

But the second page seems to allude to their being strongholds that can come from being in the family. Are curses and strongholds two different things?

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While the sins of the fathers are passed onto their offspring, to the fourth generation, there is another option: Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it".

Having chosen the second option, the faith of the fathers is also passed on to the fourth generation.

I see that in my own family, wherein the faith I have passed on, is very much a part of the lives of my grandchildren, the third generation. Their faith is so strong, that I have no doubt it will be passed on to the 4th generation. It is simply a fact of life.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A few thoughts here on this topic. The above “of those who hate him.” It is that which is born after the flesh which persecutes that born after the Spirit. Even still now. “of those who hate him” consider them Saul, Saul why do you persecute Me? Yet Paul said (inspired and spoken by the Holy Spirit with him) ‘And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time. [9] For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. [10] But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.’ 1 Corinthians 15:8-10

Love that: But by the grace of God I am what I am.

While the sins of the fathers are passed onto their offspring, to the fourth generation, there is another option:

You must be born of the Spirit.

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it".

“and when he is old(mature) he will not depart from it.” Needs to be considered with “depart from evil” and those He says: depart from Me you workers of iniquity, I never knew you.

Hebrews 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, (a heart of stone) in departing from the living God.

Instead depart from evil and cling to that which is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. [22] Abstain from all appearance of evil.

More simply: it is for the grace of God that the curse ends and a child is delivered from death. Proverbs 23:13-14 Withhold not correction from the child

(Hebrews 12:8-9)for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. [14] Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. Revelation 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
^who is the “I”?

Lamentations 3:17-22 And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity. [18] And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the Lord : [19] Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall. [20] My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me. [21] This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. [22] It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
...yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.’

Proverbs 11:4-5 Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death. (Deliver us from evil for Yours is the Kingdom and the Power Lord) 5] The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way and he will not depart from the Living God) but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness.

I’m sorry. I realize that is way to many verses but how beautiful it is that God separates us from the curse and wickedness and does a New Thing ...the old passed away and forgotten, remembered no more.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody finds it peculiar that the verse says unto the 3rd and 4th generation? It is as if it is saying, I don't punish the 1st and 2nd generation, but only the 3rd and the 4th. If the intention was to say all generations up to the 4th there would be no need to mention the 3rd... Since God is not unjust, is it possible that it's not talking about human generations (James 1:15)? In other words, God doesn't punish us (the fathers of sins) for our evil thoughts (1st generation) and desires (2nd generation), unless we consent* and find pleasure in them (3rd generation) or perform them in actual deed (4th generation).

______
* James 1:14 uses the word enticed. Also the conception point.

Last edited:

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God can save everyone He wants to save. Why do humans struggle with God being God?