Genesis 1, a day, and Billions of years

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... and you have done nothing to correct my ignorance by sharing truth. Something scripture claims YOU will be called to give account for.

Instead you have chosen to exercise your "gift" of RIDICULE AND DERISION.
Which list does that appear in again:

"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

Those that cannot be counseled cannot be helped, Benjamin Franklin.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezra Stiles (1727-1795), the Calvinist president of Yale College, was curious about Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) and his faith. In 1790, he asked the nation’s senior statesman if he would commit his religious beliefs to paper. Franklin agreed. He was nearing the end of his life – he died six weeks later – and possibly believed this was as good a time as any to summarize the religious creed by which he lived.

“Here is my Creed,” Franklin wrote to Stiles. “I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshiped. That the most acceptable Service we render to him, is doing Good to his other Children. That the Soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with Justice in another Life respecting its Conduct in this … As for Jesus of Nazareth … I think the system of Morals and Religion as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw … but I have … some Doubts to his Divinity; though’ it is a Question I do not dogmatism upon, having never studied it, and think it is needless to busy myself with it now, where I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble.”

The narrative was classic Franklin, witty and to the point. Religion was worthless unless it promoted virtuous behavior. Jesus was the greatest moral teacher who ever lived, but he was not God.
- Benjamin Franklin and His Religious Beliefs, Pennsylvania Heritage, Fall 2011

How apropos that you should quote Ben Franklin.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A creative day in scripture is a time period sir. We are still in the 7th day, God's day of rest, at least we were in the first century when this was penned:
(Hebrews 4:4-6) 4 For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” 5 and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.” 6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience. . .

Hope that helps At

The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods-in a measurable way for humans to understand. Yet all six of them have ended. (Genesis 1:31) However, with respect to the seventh day, God proceeded to rest, indicating that this “day” has continued. (Genesis 2:1-3) Thousands of years later Paul indicated that the seventh day is not concluded. At Hebrews 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Psalms 95:10, 11) and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” Therefore, one “creative day” was-at a minimum-several thousand years in length.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods-in a measurable way for humans to understand.
What makes you think that? Kindly read Exodus 20:8-11. A day is simply a 24-hour period. God does not complicate things. He could have created everything in minutes. But He used an ordinary work week to teach man when to work and when to cease working. If you say you believe God but do not believe this, then you do not really believe God.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes you think that? Kindly read Exodus 20:8-11. A day is simply a 24-hour period. God does not complicate things. He could have created everything in minutes. But He used an ordinary work week to teach man when to work and when to cease working. If you say you believe God but do not believe this, then you do not really believe God.

The account in Exodus is referring to "man's" sabboth or day of rest. God's day of rest is different. Have you read the account I noted is Hebrew? Do you have the same opinion of other's belief in God when their opinion/understandings are differnet than your? Your comment about believing in God or not was not necessary. Posts are for enlighting and encouraging-not a competition.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods-in a measurable way for humans to understand. Yet all six of them have ended. (Genesis 1:31) However, with respect to the seventh day, God proceeded to rest, indicating that this “day” has continued. (Genesis 2:1-3) Thousands of years later Paul indicated that the seventh day is not concluded. At Hebrews 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Psalms 95:10, 11) and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” Therefore, one “creative day” was-at a minimum-several thousand years in length.
"And the evening and the morning were several thousand years?"

It just does not align with scripture as a whole at all.

And it doesn't account, in any way, for the concept of the Sabbath day of rest that came from that event.
Leviticus 23:32 states plainly, for all to see, that God considered the Sabbath Day to be one 24-hour period of time.

All these far-out concepts of massive lengths of time for Day in the Creation Week do not fit into the Bible's story line at all. It is as simple as that. If they did, I'd fully embrace them.

What they DO accomplish is supporting the Big Bang and Evolution theories.

That is all they're good for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They cannot be counseled or helped because they cannot see things spiritually discerned. Because they cannot grasp something "earned" in the building of their own "spiritual houses" by the spiritual sacrifices offered unto God BY Christ Jesus.

And it's NOT because they are unsaved, or even born again. It's just "not in the cards" (so to speak) for "them" at this present time.

I suppose a good way of describing "a" difference would be a difference between "tribal elders" and "Priests." Or? "A" difference between "seeing" the Father IN Christ, and going UNTO the Father BY Christ.

Reactions: Davy

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This just doesn't stand up to simple scrutiny.

The verse itself switches its meaning from the first half to the second.

The flood lasted 40,000 years?

Jesus' fast in the wilderness after His baptism lasted 40,000 years?

It just doesn't hold water.

Also, the seventh DAY of Creation Week, being the Sabbath DAY, is defined in Leviticus 23:32 as a 24-hour period of time. Not 1,000 years.
The seventh day began when the creative act was finished and it has not ended yet.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"And the evening and the morning were several thousand years?"

It just does not align with scripture as a whole at all.

And it doesn't account, in any way, for the concept of the Sabbath day of rest that came from that event.
Leviticus 23:32 states plainly, for all to see, that God considered the Sabbath Day to be one 24-hour period of time.

All these far-out concepts of massive lengths of time for Day in the Creation Week do not fit into the Bible's story line at all. It is as simple as that. If they did, I'd fully embrace them.

What they DO accomplish is supporting the Big Bang and Evolution theories.

That is all they're good for.
The Hebrew word for day is yome and it can mean anything from a few hours until everlasting.

- age, + always, + chronicles, continually (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever (-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (. . . live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.
Total KJV occurrences: 2295

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of off-topic opinions about the age of the universe/Earth on another topic, and I had a question, so time for a new topic ...

Genesis 1:
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 And the earth was a formless and desolate emptiness, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness He called “night.” And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Please explain the phrase "And there was evening and there was morning, one day." as an indeterminate long period of time.

What does "there was evening and there was morning" mean as a concept apart from the 24-hour "day"?

This will set the tone for all of the other 6 "days" in Genesis 1 that will follow using the same literary pattern.
It means that light is divided from the darkness--Once with God.

Which is then only written of and broken down incrementally in the world for the sake of revelation. History is His story.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The confusion is due to the Hebrew language having several meanings for the same word, like when we say bear with me, we do not mean the grizzly bear.
All those "several meanings" that you and so many others wave around when debating word meanings in scripture, those are only in the NASB translations.

Here's what it looks like when you look at only the original definitions in Strong's.

Greek 2250 - Day
day.
ἡμέρᾳ (hēmera)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

Strong's Greek: 2250. ἡμέρα (hémera) -- day (biblehub.com)

That's it. There's no 150 meanings for the word Day in the original Aramaic language of God. Again, He is not the author of confusion.

Hebrew 3117 - Day
yom: day
Original Word: יוֹם
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: yom
Phonetic Spelling: (yome)
Definition: day
Strong's Hebrew: 3117. יוֹם (yom) -- day (biblehub.com)

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I didn't read the whole thread, @atpollard but FWIW I have answered this before on other threads.

First of all the Jewish day began at sundown (evening), so if it was a 24 hour day it would finish at sundown (evening) the next day.
The wording in Genesis ch 1 however says there was "evening and morning" so not a 24 hour period.

This is depicting the end of one creative era (to which God had allotted certain activity) and the beginning of the next, also allotted specific activity.
With the close of each era, God declared that it was "good". So rather than wave his magic wand, Jehovah implemented a creative process, taking all the time he needed to accomplish what he set out to do in each period. It took time and care because it was a labor of love.

The creative "days" were not 24 hour periods because the earth itself is not 6,000 years old and some animals that existed before man, were long extinct. There were no dinosaurs on the ark, and no mention of creatures of extraordinary size sharing the garden with humans.
They would have put man at risk.

The Hebrew word for "day" is "yôm" and according to Strongs, it means more than just a 24 hour day....

1. "day, time, year

1. day (as opposed to night)

2. day (24 hour period)
      1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
      2. as a division of time
    3. days, lifetime (pl.)

4. time, period (general)

5. year

6. temporal references

1. today

2. yesterday

3. tomorrow"
So not just a 24 hour day....but a general period of time which can be of undisclosed length.

There is no timeframe between Genesis 1:1 and what follows with regard to earth's preparation for habitation. So the earth itself could be very ancient.

For an infinite Creator time means nothing, so he could have taken millenniums for each period of creation. Why does it have to be 24 hours? Jehovah is not a magician.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All those "several meanings" that you and so many others wave around when debating word meanings in scripture, those are only in the NASB translations.

Here's what it looks like when you look at only the original definitions in Strong's.

Greek 2250 - Day
day.
ἡμέρᾳ (hēmera)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

Strong's Greek: 2250. ἡμέρα (hémera) -- day (biblehub.com)

That's it. There's no 150 meanings for the word Day in the original Aramaic language of God. Again, He is not the author of confusion.

Hebrew 3117 - Day
yom: day
Original Word: יוֹם
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: yom
Phonetic Spelling: (yome)
Definition: day
Strong's Hebrew: 3117. יוֹם (yom) -- day (biblehub.com)
So we are talking about the creation account in Genesis which is written in Hebrew and we are agreed that yom means a period of time, anything from a few hours to eternity, and as I pointed out we are in day seven now which is an extremely long time. So then we have to ask ourselves was a day measured by the sun when there was no sun in the beginning? Clearly not. A day is a period of time, and when we learn it takes 300 million years for coal to form, we get an idea of the scale of things. After all the Grand Canyon wasn't gouged out of solid rock in 24 hours. There is no such thing as a young earth. Sorry.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A day is a period of time, and when we learn it takes 300 million years for coal to form, we get an idea of the scale of things. After all the Grand Canyon wasn't gouged out of solid rock in 24 hours. There is no such thing as a young earth. Sorry.
The only part that concerns me is the fact that most of the same experts that tell us “it takes 300 million years for coal to form” state with equal certainty and expertise “there is no God”. For those of us who know for certain that they are wrong about God’s existence, it is impossible to wonder if they might be wrong about the 300 million years as well. Recorded history is only about 5000 years (Sumerian clay tablets), so nothing prior to that is actually “observation” but is based on inference and speculation (not an innately bad thing, just indirect rather than direct observation). That makes the accuracy of the conclusions subject to the validity of the initial assumptions.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The only part that concerns me is the fact that most of the same experts that tell us “it takes 300 million years for coal to form” state with equal certainty and expertise “there is no God”. For those of us who know for certain that they are wrong about God’s existence, it is impossible to wonder if they might be wrong about the 300 million years as well. Recorded history is only about 5000 years (Sumerian clay tablets), so nothing prior to that is actually “observation” but is based on inference and speculation (not an innately bad thing, just indirect rather than direct observation). That makes the accuracy of the conclusions subject to the validity of the initial assumptions.
I love the fact that these unbelieving atheists have actually proved the accuracy of the Bible and the divine inspiration under which it was written without knowing it. As you say, our history only goes back a very short time compared to the age of the earth, but these people using geological evidence have concluded that indeed, it all happened in the order given in the Bible over a very long period marked by the morning and evening, the beginning and end of each day or era, which of course the scribes cannot have known. I think that is wonderful. The icing on the cake is that it all went dark on day four and true to form that is when the dinosaurs were wiped out with the blotting out of the sun, probably caused by a meteorite hitting the earth's surface. Have no fear God is in charge, but rather fear those within our own ranks, who attack one by one, each to their own ideology, the truth of the Bible with their arguments and denials.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we are talking about the creation account in Genesis which is written in Hebrew and we are agreed that yom means a period of time, anything from a few hours to eternity, and as I pointed out we are in day seven now which is an extremely long time. So then we have to ask ourselves was a day measured by the sun when there was no sun in the beginning? Clearly not. A day is a period of time, and when we learn it takes 300 million years for coal to form, we get an idea of the scale of things. After all the Grand Canyon wasn't gouged out of solid rock in 24 hours. There is no such thing as a young earth. Sorry.
No.

We're not in agreement about anything. And you don't need to apologize to me when you brutalize the truth of God's Word like that. You need to beg forgiveness from Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

You are blatantly ignoring Genesis 2:2-3 as well as Leviticus 23:32 which make proof positive what the day periods were.

So, since you won't come off this massive quantity of time theory, which is really just total nonsense, how do you explain Genesis 2:2-3 in light of your insistence that it was referring to a thousand, or more, years?

Can you explain that to everyone? Did God bless and sanctify a multi-thousand year time period? You'd have a whole lot of explaining to do if that were the case. Lotta variables in the last thousand years that don't fit into that at all.

I look forward to your explanation, but I know you won't honestly address the stated predicament so, ... I'm not holding my breath for any sincere response.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No.

We're not in agreement about anything. And you don't need to apologize to me when you brutalize the truth of God's Word like that. You need to beg forgiveness from Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

You are blatantly ignoring Genesis 2:2-3 as well as Leviticus 23:32 which make proof positive what the day periods were.

So, since you won't come off this massive quantity of time theory, which is really just total nonsense, how do you explain Genesis 2:2-3 in light of your insistence that it was referring to a thousand, or more, years?

Can you explain that to everyone? Did God bless and sanctify a multi-thousand year time period? You'd have a whole lot of explaining to do if that were the case. Lotta variables in the last thousand years that don't fit into that at all.

I look forward to your explanation, but I know you won't honestly address the stated predicament so, ... I'm not holding my breath for any sincere response.
What is there to explain about Genesis 2:2-3? we are in the seventh day now and it is more than 24 hours long.