Genesis 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. Gen 2:15

Do we have any idea exactly "where" God "took the man" from?

Ideas?

Thegoodground

Nov 15, 2012
THE Gypsy said:
And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. Gen 2:15

Ideas?
Its interesting the man was formed in Eden (location) and then God planted a garden (within Eden) and there placed the man.

There are beautiful spiritual lessons for why God chose to do it this way.

Thegoodground

Nov 15, 2012
THE Gypsy said:
Hi Gypsy,

Every action God takes is motivated by a divine principle which answers to the why He does what He does.

Why did God form man from the dust in the open field where the animals roam only to place him into a confined area?

Why not let the man roam in the open fields?

See Gen 25:27 cmp Romans 8:7

This is one such lesson.

TGG

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Pretty deep question Gypsy. The only evidence we can go on is that God formed Adam from the ground upon the earth, but His Garden of Eden was not yet upon the earth.

Gen 2:5-8
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
(KJV)

Later in Genesis 2 we're shown God's River flowing out of His Garden to feed four other rivers upon the earth, two of those rivers still exist on earth today (Hiddekel or Tigris and the Euphrates). That's suggesting God planted His Garden in the middleast, and thus the ancient idea of the holy lands.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Thanks, Veteran. Great food for thought. I know in the scope of things this is not an issue and I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I ran across another thing that gave me a brain buzz that I'd like to hear your opinion on...

In Genesis, ya know how it says..."And God said", "then God said", time after time as he created the earth. Why do you suppose He "made" Adam and then "made" Eve...with his own hands? I have a couple theories and I realize this is a question that is pretty much answered by opinion and, as I said...I'd like to hear yours.

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
THE Gypsy said:

Ideas?
The story of the Garden of Eden could be said to be a parable.
When you were born from the womb of the earth, you obtained citizenship of earth.
When you were re-born in the womb of the spirit, you obtained a citizenship of the heavenlies.
Adam and Eve first developed as natural people on the earth. It was there where they learned and practiced their dominion over everything visible, (Gen 1:28). It was here where Adam developed as made in the "image" of God.
But God's plan and purpose to have a spiritual partner required that Adam and Eve also position themselves in the spiritual world and learn of their authority there too. It is here where Adam was to develop into the "likeness" of God.
It wasn't as if a heavenly citizenship was suddenly invented for those living of us n the New Covenant. It was the intent of God from the very beginnings..
When it says, "The Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it", it means that He gave Adam and Eve a citizenship in the heavenlies.
The Garden of Eden is a natural picture representing a spiritual reality. Jesus used images from everyday life too to express his knowledge of things unseen .... in parables.

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
THE Gypsy said:
Are you saying the story of creation is false?
Hi! 'The Gypsy'
You asked, "Are you saying the story of creation is false?"
Of course, my answer is an immediate "No, I didn't say nor mean to imply that".
Would you say that the idea of the kingdom of God is false simply because Jesus used parables to describe it?
"Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand", (Matt 13:13).
So it is that the biblical narrative about the Garden of Eden is a parable. It is not to be read literally; by that I mean: it's utterly nonsensical to think that mankind would be eternally damned simply for eating an apple. The Garden of Eden is an eartly picture which is intended for us to transpose as "evidence of things unseen" (Heb 11:1) and grasp the spiritual meaning behind it.
I ask you: Is there such a thing as a farmer who sows seed?
Did Jesus diminish the idea of the farmer sowing seed by using it to illustrate things which are invisible to the naked eye?
Well, the narrative about the Garden of Eden is a picture to illustrate what was happening to Adam and Eve in the invisible world ... concerning the events which were invisible to the naked eye.
The problem for most of us Christians is that we fail to fully comprehend what accompanied our new heavenly citizenship. As citizens of earth, when we emigrate to a foreign country, we must accustom ourselves to the things there. Sometimes, the culture there requires a totally new way of thinking about things.
Well, we have emigrated to heavenly places; we have become new-found citizens of the kingdom of God. Just like earth, we must familarize ourselves with the norms and customs there.
We have to train ourselves to think and see (renewed mind) as citizens of the kingdom of God. When we do that, the narrative of the Garden of Eden becomes more meaningfully revealed to us.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
THE Gypsy said:
Thanks, Veteran. Great food for thought. I know in the scope of things this is not an issue and I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I ran across another thing that gave me a brain buzz that I'd like to hear your opinion on...

In Genesis, ya know how it says..."And God said", "then God said", time after time as he created the earth. Why do you suppose He "made" Adam and then "made" Eve...with his own hands? I have a couple theories and I realize this is a question that is pretty much answered by opinion and, as I said...I'd like to hear yours.
Well, first of all, men and women both have the same number of 'ribs'. The Hebrew word for "the rib" in Gen.2:22 can also point to the idea of a 'curve'. I believe it's suggesting the DNA helix curve. There's always the possibility that the man Adam may have had one less rib, but I don't think that's how it actually happened (and no, I'm not suggesting evolution if someone's thinking that).

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
THE Gypsy said:
If you do not believe the creation outline in Genesis...What do you believe is the origin of life?
Hi! 'THE Gypsy'
Ummm, you'll forgive me for failing to avoid saying this: Take the advice of your avatar an' WAKE UP!
:)
I never said that I don't believe the creation outline in Genesis.
I simply offered the opinion that the narrative concerning the events in the Garden of Eden are a parable of "things unseen", (Heb 11:1).
If you wish to 'read as it is written' and confess that snakes talk and people become entitled to eternal torment because someone ate an apple, that's up to you. It's not that your believing in this manner is somehow 'sinful' or that it's a falsehood. No, certainly not. It's just that you risk missing out on fully comprehending the intent of the narrative.
So, now that you've awakened to what I was saying, do you feel better now? :)

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
No need to get snippy, Sparky. You made the following statements...

MTPockets said:
The story of the Garden of Eden could be said to be a parable....

...Adam and Eve first developed as natural people on the earth. ...

... It was here where Adam developed as made in the "image" of God....

...When it says, "The Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it", it means that He gave Adam and Eve a citizenship in the heavenlies.

The Garden of Eden is a natural picture representing a spiritual reality. Jesus used images from everyday life too to express his knowledge of things unseen .... in parables.
There is nothing unreasonable about my question. You either believe it happened or you believe it to simply be a story.

So...IF you believe the creation account in Genesis is a "parable" do you also believe Christ's death on the cross is also a parable?

Thegoodground

Nov 15, 2012
THE Gypsy said:
You sound like you're condemning Adam to sin before the fall. Or perhaps I missed your point?
Not so.

Consider why God made man in the open field? plant a garden (enclosed place i.e hedge about) then planted him into a purpose built sancturary.

Maybe Amos 9:14,15 may be of some help.

TGG