Getting drunk in the spirit "Biblically"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All wonderful things.
But there's more. And which will make you more effective in your love for and service to God.
Like Jesus' promise to the disciples, you will have power when the gift of the Holy Spirit comes from the Father.
What does that mean? Are you saying because I don't speak in tongues or do what you do that I lack what power you allegedly have because of your experience--that it was more feeley than mine?

Reactions: marks

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with reverence in and of itself. It has it's place. But try telling your spouse you only want a formal and reverent relationship with him.
I don't have a spouse. Thank the Lord. And don't you make my relationship to Him subpar just because i don't get drunk in the spirit or whatever. You have no right nor authority to say that.

You don't have to speak in tongues and be drunk to be spirit filled. Spirit filled can be a word fitly spoken, or a explanation of Bible Scripture.

I'm going to bow out for awhile. i am very angry. It has to be your way, or else I'm not in a real relationship, right? spare me any more of your insight

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worship is deeply emotional. i feel this, but I don't react in the way that is being spoken of. I can cry because of what the Lord has done for me, or be moved by the testimony of another, but me not jumping around or whatever, does not take away from worship.
As long as it's not the demonic gyrations of the Kundalini spirit, save the jumping around and whatever for those so inclined to express emotion that way. Me? I cry, like a big fat baby. My hands go up, and my eyes get shut and I cry like a baby. I can 'see' the Lord, and I am changed and empowered by the experience. It should be no surprise that this wonderful experience of the Holy Spirit has been suppressed and maligned in the church by the enemy. The devil don't need no Spirit filled, powerful God lovin' people roaming his territory!

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does that mean? Are you saying because I don't speak in tongues or do what you do that I lack what power you allegedly have because of your experience-
No, I was careful in one of my posts to say I was not emphasizing the actual wind and the tongues speaking that occurred with the falling of the Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. I personally do not have the gift of tongues. This is about having JOY and PEACE. So much so you don't care that this person offended you, or that person did that to you, or that this person needs x amount of dollars. Only that you wish they could have the same experience in the Lord of life and joy and peace and release that you yourself have.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And don't you make my relationship to Him subpar just because i don't get drunk in the spirit or whatever.
If you don't have genuine, uncoerced life, and joy, and peace in the Holy Spirit you have a limited relationship with the Lord. What I see is a church, fully saved, but angry and offended and unhappy, and largely because the church has suppressed the knowledge of experiencing the manifest felt presence of their Lord in the power of joy and peace and righteousness in the Holy Spirit.

"...I will love him and reveal Myself to him.” John 14:21
The church lacks a real and manifest revelation of God through the presence of the Holy Spirit. We can tell that by how we act.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I agree. and if we are close to Jesus just because he makes us feel good, that could be a problem, too. God reveals himself through His word.
2 Tim 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

Romans 12:1-2: “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable, or well pleasing and perfect.”

BTW,Ya left off the first part of that verse, " He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself unto him." John 14:21.

BOG.
You would do well to stop dividing a post into several. It flows better than way. Unless you want to increase your numbers.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To grow toward God without the input of another man is possible, but very frequently it is through that other man that God is introducing something to new to us which we may really need.
And God designed it that way so we would be unified.

"17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?18But in fact, God has arranged the members of the body, every one of them, according to His design. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body." 1 Corinthians 12:17-19

I can't know and learn and experience everything without the rest of the body. That's what God intended, for the sake of the unity of his body. I need you guys. You need me. We need each other. I value and respect what everyone brings to the table here in these forums. I may not express that at all times. But I do in fact learn and am inspired in some way by what even my hardest foe has to say.

Reactions: amadeus

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I was careful in one of my posts to say I was not emphasizing the actual wind and the tongues speaking that occurred with the falling of the Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. I personally do not have the gift of tongues. This is about having JOY and PEACE. So much so you don't care that this person offended you, or that person did that to you, or that this person needs x amount of dollars. Only that you wish they could have the same experience in the Lord of life and joy and peace and release that you yourself have.
Those of us fortunate enough to experience the presence of the Lord in a Church service is I think the exception these days. Many have quenched the Spirit as to not offend someone. I was raised in an AOG Church and the best way to describe the manifestation of the Spirit would be orderly and balanced. No over-the-top antics. It was not a given that the Spirit was going to manifest itself in the gift of tongues each service. Many times, I would say most services it didn't happen. When it did you KNEW it was real and the hard part is explaining to outsiders how you knew it was real. You just did. For me, I knew those people well who (same people most of the time) spoke in tongues and never had a doubt of their sincerity. Not all AOG churches are the same though. It was never strange. Many times the Holy Spirit has what I call a heavy presence in a service. You feel it. No tongue just a presence.
The Holy Spirit gives the gifts according to his will and not everyone has the same gifts. No one should feel less saved, righteous because they do not have the gift of tongues. Churches that have preached that one must have the gift of tongues in order to be saved have done a great deal of harm to the body of Christ.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God reveals himself through His word.
2 Tim 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
He does.
I have LOTS to say about this subject, and one of them is that sharing and discussing the Word is essential to building the experience of the Holy Spirit and him showing himself to his people in a meeting of the saints. The word builds you up in the Spirit and it overflows into heartfelt joyful worship.

BTW,Ya left off the first part of that verse, " He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself unto him." John 14:21.
What if I told you it seems God always warns me ahead of time that if you don't include that part in your post someone is going to point it out. This was one of those moments, lol. But anyway, I was focusing on the "and I will love him and reveal Myself to him” aspect of having a relationship with God (it's a legit experience). The obedience of godly love will certainly do that, too. Spirit filled praise and worship will blow it out for you.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those of us fortunate enough to experience the presence of the Lord in a Church service is I think the exception these days. Many have quenched the Spirit as to not offend someone. I was raised in an AOG Church and the best way to describe the manifestation of the Spirit would be orderly and balanced. No over-the-top antics. It was not a given that the Spirit was going to manifest itself in the gift of tongues each service. Many times, I would say most services it didn't happen. When it did you KNEW it was real and the hard part is explaining to outsiders how you knew it was real. You just did. For me, I knew those people well who (same people most of the time) spoke in tongues and never had a doubt of their sincerity. Not all AOG churches are the same though. It was never strange. Many times the Holy Spirit has what I call a heavy presence in a service. You feel it. No tongue just a presence.
The Holy Spirit gives the gifts according to his will and not everyone has the same gifts. No one should feel less saved, righteous because they do not have the gift of tongues. Churches that have preached that one must have the gift of tongues in order to be saved have done a great deal of harm to the body of Christ.
You get it!
Thanks for chiming in, bro.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You would do well to stop dividing a post into several. It flows better than way. Unless you want to increase your numbers.
I don't care about numbers. In fact I wish they'd do away with the 'like' button, lol. This is not a high school popularity contest for me of who can make the most posts and get the most likes, lol. In fact, since I gravitate towards theological discussions I know I'm not going to win a lot of likes that way.

But anyway, I break it up because I don't like long posts. I, personally, don't have the time to read them. I'm trying to make it easier for people to take the time to read my posts and remember what I post. Less is more, as the old saying goes.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was not until I got older that I experienced the Love of God and the gifts of the Spirit.... By that I mean it is one thing to Know God loves us, another thing to experience his Love firsthand. Many of those naysayers who deny the gifts of the Spirit (cessationalists) Have never experienced the Love of God in this personal way. When You do, You will be "slayed in the Spirit" or "drunk in the Spirit" Whatever terminology you use for this is, It is an overwhelming awe of the presence of God. But you also have to be vigilant of the false spirits at work in these churches, which strive for sensationalism and Mysticism.
I THANK GOD he got me started out right from the get go in this kind of relationship with him. I ache for all the people in the church that have no knowledge of all this because it has been suppressed and maligned, and resist what they do know because of yoyo's like Benny Hinn and others who turned the experience of the Holy Spirit into personal profit and did everything fake that they did to keep it profitable.

Reactions: David H.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does that mean? Are you saying because I don't speak in tongues or do what you do that I lack what power you allegedly have because of your experience--that it was more feeley than mine?
Hi, Cassandra. Let's all remember 1 Corinthians 12:14-21:

14 For the body is not one part, but many. 15 If the foot says, “Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, “Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has arranged the parts, each one of them in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many parts, but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; or again, the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”

[Edit] The first highlighted verse is for me. I am part of The Body of Christ, and what I do is important, if not flashy, and I have no reason to be envious of anybody. The second highlighted verse is for you, @Cassandra, and for anybody who might secretly (or not so secretly) think that your gifts and experiences and the form of worship you respond to best are somehow inferior to theirs. You are part of The Body of Christ, and anyone who implies otherwise is harming The Body, and we can't have that.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi, Cassandra. Let's all remember 1 Corinthians 12:14-21:

14 For the body is not one part, but many. 15 If the foot says, “Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, “Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has arranged the parts, each one of them in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many parts, but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; or again, the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”
@Lambano Great passage there. I do think the fact that the Bible is now complete is very significant as regards the sign gifts in the Apostolic period.

Like you said before also, the whole idea of being 'drunk' in this context is a misnomer, IMHO.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've not given this a great deal of thought and I'm sure someone can find an issue with this example but here goes. It was once explained to someone who was trying to understand the difference between indwelled with the Holy Spirit at salvation and being filled with the Holy Spirit. It's like a cup filled with water (born again indwelling of the Spirit) but the feeling of being filled with the Holy Spirit is that same cup overflowing. A strong feeling of the presence of God. It can be manifested in various ways. For some, it could be felt with a gift as tongues or joy or some other emotion. Some have the ability to break down all fleshly barriers to receive this strong overflowing and others simply have it manifested in other ways. An abundance of faith, knowledge, wisdom, love, and many others. This is just an analogy.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And God designed it that way so we would be unified.

"17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?18But in fact, God has arranged the members of the body, every one of them, according to His design. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body." 1 Corinthians 12:17-19

I can't know and learn and experience everything without the rest of the body. That's what God intended, for the sake of the unity of his body. I need you guys. You need me. We need each other. I value and respect what everyone brings to the table here in these forums. I may not express that at all times. But I do in fact learn and am inspired in some way by what even my hardest foe has to say.
Indeed, sometimes for God's reasons we may need to walk alone for the moment... perhaps to prepare us for our part. But... nevertheless, our part as a part of the whole is eventually a necessity.

The individuals and groups going astray from God's direction discourage at times people who see such misdirection. Over the years I have been taught many very important lessons in my walk toward God by some of my worst enemies according to the flesh.

Jesus is the Head of the Body... but all of the rest of us must be, or become, parts of that Body so that there will be a place for the Head to rest:

"...The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head" Matt 8:20

How long is that, or was that, to be?

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm confident that you do. I have no reason to think you don't, and have every reason to think you do! But this is about the Spirit literally manifesting himself to you.

It's the difference between simply possessing the Spirit in you (John 20:22), and the Spirit overflowing and manifesting himself (Acts of the Apostles 2:2). I'm not emphasizing the wind and the speaking in tongues. I'm emphasizing the move of the Spirit beyond simply knowing by faith that he exists and is in you.

In Spirit-filled worship you FEEL and KNOW his presence in an overwhelming joy and peace. It may or may not stir up your gift. It may make you cry if you're prone to that. But one thing's for sure, you will have joy and peace. You will have power. So much so, it will change how you act. It will change you.

" 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking (religious ceremonies and rules), but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18For whoever serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men." Romans 14:17-18
Some people aren't going to accept this well and I understand, but this is to your relationship with God like making love with your spouse is in marriage. It's an ecstatic, emotional, and physical experience that will bear fruit in your life. Just like a husband longs for and is pleased by intimacy with his wife, so God also longs for this kind of relationship with his wife. That's why it's so maligned by the devil through evil people in fake charismatic ministries. The devil knows you're on to something if you're relating to God this way. He doesn't have much of a problem with someone's cold, dead liturgical relationship with God.

Amen!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never been slain or drunk in the spirit, and i don't care to be. The terminology reminds me of every you tube video I''ve seen where Benny hinn or someone throws his arms out and people fall. Or Sid Roth and his holy laughter. "Clear your mind". God wants us to control our minds.
I don't know what you experience and I am not judging you. ButI want no part of this. And yes, I do believe I have the holy Spirit. He doesn't make me giddy.He lets me know when I have been wrong, He helps me with bible study, and sometimes helps me give an encouraging word to someone.
I like a formal service. I feel it is more reverent.

There is nothing wrong with "reverent formal services", Each of us has our own way of worshipping God. One day we will all be slain in the Spirit though and fall down as if dead, Just like the Apostle John was, when every eye will see Him. What is more important is that you can know the Love of God for you in a personal and intimate way here and now.... It is a blessing and a joy unspeakable when this occurs.

Paul closes out 2 Corinthians with the following:
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.[fn] (2 Corinthians 13:14)

All three of those things are for us as we walk with the LORD in this world. Most stop at the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, But there is so much more for us here and now if we would only seek Him. Pray the prayer Paul prays over the Ephesian church found in Ephesians 3:14-21, and let the Spirit show you the Love of God for you.

Jesus is the LORD (1 Corinthians 12:3)

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano Great passage there. I do think the fact that the Bible is now complete is very significant as regards the sign gifts in the Apostolic period.

Some people believe the sign gifts ceased after the Apostolic era. I don't know if I'd agree with that. God is sovereign, and I think He brought back the charismata just to remind us that the Spirit is still here with us. (I also believe God has a subtle sense of humor, and maybe He just wanted to tweak MacArthur.) I don't want to be the one to say, "Uh, Lord, you can't do that!"

As the Western world falls away, the sign gifts might become more important.

Last edited: